The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother!

Inigo Montoya

"Wot's this?" I sniffed at the air, "It's not everyday this ol' girl smells like flowers. But when she does, it means ol' cap'n stinky can't be far behind." I glanced 'bout the darkened hold, and saw Mister Dillard stirrin' in his hammock.

"I best inform the cap'n, we got stowaways."

As I made me way topside, I heard her. "Great, another screamin' banshee," I mumbled. "At least she's still on that other ship."

"I best fetch the cap'n, 'fore we're boarded by any more unwelcome guests." Says I.

Edited by Smithe

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ludo, humming to himself as he prepared the noonday meal, worked about the Rakehell's small galley oblivious of what was going on topside. Mainly because he couldn't understand much English. Thinking that the soup needed more pepper, he moved to the small cupboard at the back of the cramped space, then paused, sniffing. "Ricotta?" He shook his head, puzzled. "Provalone?" He shook his head again, confused. They hadn't had any decent cheese since Havana. Had someone hidden a secret stash? He poked round the galley but couldn't find anything. Disappointed, he went back to the thin soup he'd been stirring. Suddenly the whole galley smelled strongly of a perfectly aged Mortadella sausage.

Ludo's mouth watered, and tears ran down his weathered face, and for the first time in years, he thought of the small Italian village where he'd been born, and the wonderful food his mother used to cook.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

As I approached Mister Tar's cabin, I could smell he had a visitor. Tappin' lightly on his door, I says, "Mister Tar, sire! Beggin' yer pardon, but that cap'n from the other ship is hailin' us, sire. She be askin' bought yer self, an requests yer presence on deck, sire."

The door swung open. Mister Tar asks if Jonesy is speakin' in tongues, or attemptin' t' kiss any o' the other crew members? And if'n Jonesy is, I should waylay anyone attemptin' t' keelhaul the poor mute, while he parlays wit' the cap'n o' the Rakehell.

"Not that I'm aware, sire." I reply, "I'll watch over Jonesy, as ye wish, Mister Tar." Wit' that he closes his cabin door behind 'em, an leaves t' answer the call from the other ship.

I saw Jacky come up on deck, and he didn't look too thrilled. Too bad, I thought.

"Oi, Jacky. Is this the place?" I gestured to the inhospitable spit of land that stretched out in front of us, then cocked an eye. "And why is the smell of brimstone wafting in the air?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I walked t' the railin', an gave Ransom the royal wave. "That's apart o' the Dry Tortugas, alright!" I gestured out t' sea, an said, "But somewhere out there, beneath the waves, lies the lost treasure fleet."

"Aye, too much sulphur in the gun powder, it's a wonder the canons fire at all." I said, referrin' t' the smell.

"I suppose ye'll be wantin' t' make some repairs here?" I said, tryin' t' change the subject.

Edited by Jacky Tar

I stared at Jacky a moment. I'd seen him act in a lot of different ways, but fishy had never been one of them. However, that was exactly how he was acting now. Fishy. And what the hell was with the royal wave all of a sudden?

Drumming my fingers on the rail, I replied, "Too much sulphur in the gunpowder my arse. Those cannons worked just fine when you were firing them at me! What are you up to? Why are you acting so evasive? What are you hiding?

Jacky didn't seem inclined to answer my questions.

"Fine! Have your little secrets. I'll lay off a bit and drop anchor, then see what new repairs we can make." I pointed to the open tract of ocean around us. "But that's a lot of ocean. Let's hope your little secret is where we're supposed to start looking."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"She doesn't want an answer," I muttered.

Stones replied, "She's within range, suh. Should ye wish t' get the last word."

I chuckled, "Nay, she'd never allow that!"

Clutchin' the parchment in me coat pocket, I whispered, "Aye, I know where t' look."

I turned an shouted, "Someone fetch Silkie!"

Phonse appeared around the point a short time later. He was standing in the bow of a single masted craft. A small fore and aft rig purloined from a local fisherman with full sails gave Tomas a meager amount of reaffirmation in his pudgy assistant.

"Señor Guerrero, Señor Guerrero!!" Phonse was waving frantically.

Tomas raised his arm and acknowledged the men in the boat. The tall native swung the rudder wide, causing the sails to luff, slowing the craft in meager surf. Tomas waded into the water and met the men. Roberto offered a hand to to help the dark Spaniard up to the boat. Once aboard, Tomas looked about. The nets and several small poles were still aboard. A simple crate was open with no lid to be found, but a small musket and a few pistols were within.

The men quickly threw the fishing gear over the side, making the craft lighter. As the sails filled, Tomas pointed towards the rapidly disappearing sloop he once owned.

Tomas pointed his hand directly at the sloop ahead of them. "Seguir todo recto."

The native nodded and pulled the tiller close.

Edited by Tomas Guerrero

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

Nate an Red Cat sailed along in their prize, having cracked open a barrel of salted ham and found a case of bottled wine they were stuffed. The wind was fair and in good time, they'd soon be near the spot capin Ransom had pricked on the chart she gave ol' Nate. Other small boats had appeared now and then, just some local fishermen coming in from a morning's haul, and others heading out later to check nets. Both Nate an Red Cat paid em no mind as none made any attempt to close haul em. Some waved an they merrily waved back.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

As they neared the island, many fishing vessels similar to theirs began to become more prevalent. Tomas kept his eye on 'La Esperanza' as they picked their way among the small boats.

"El Guerrero," Phonse questioned, "what shall we do if she reaches the harbor?"

Tomas looked at Phonse, "Why, steal her back, of course."

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The little sloop sailed well and fast. Soon Nate and Red Cat knew they were near the Dry Tortugas. "Oi, Red Cat, I's thinkin another two ta four turn o th glass an we be about here. . . ." Nate dabbed his finger on the chart. "All goes as planned, we should sight th tops'ls o th Rakehell n Relentless, after that, life's a bowl a roses, aye!" Red Cat just smiled and laughed, ol' Nate grinned his wild grin.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Red Cat continued t' chuckle a bit..but as she did her eyes ne'er stopped scannin amongst th small boats an out towards their heading. She looked along th deck at the guns the small craft had. They'd located powder, weapons an other stores b'low.

Cat sidled closer t'Nate feelin the back o' her neck prick.

"Oi..Mister Durant.." she spoke in low tones despite a bemused half smile tuggin at one side o' her lips. "T'all seems a bit too easy now aye? mayhaps we should arm a few o' th guns just in case our um... benefactors come a callin.." Nate looked at Cat who had a gleam in her eye as if she be half hopin fer some excitement before they made land. Nate grinned back at her an gave a nod. "Aye gerl..we'll be at th ready." He patted th cutlass tucked neat next t' his hip and smiled in accord formin a plan in his head he looked skyward..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

After the Rakehell was secure at anchor, Africa went below to get some well-deserved rest. No one was going ashore yet, and he had made the captain promise to send someone for him, if they decided to do so before he woke.

He picked a dark section of the hold, threw his boat cloak out on the grimy planks, and lay down between two rows of kegs. As his eyelids became heavy, and he was close to sleep, the air suddenly became fetid, reeking of body odor, piss, and fear. Gagging and choking, Africa sat up, terrified. The smell smothered him with memories, of pain, hunger, and hours on unending hours at the oars, chained to a bench within the dark hold of a Spanish galleon.

With a choking cry, he stood, wild-eyed, and bewildered. For there was nothing around him but the harmless kegs, bales, and casks of goods and supplies. No Spaniards. No beaten men shackled four to an oar. No filth, no pain. Clutching the little bag of corpse powder hanging from the cord around his neck, he bolted back up on deck, seeking the sun and fresh air.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Roberts had said little since the storm..since Cat an Nate had left him behind. He was worried about her..the storm had drug up memories agin an now there'd been some strange happenins...Roberts said nuthin o' em t' any man nor woman aboard.

He stayed mainly in th' daylight and sat now at th stern, his meaty palm held th lucky coin as his thumb caressed the groove he'd worn in it over th years since that night....

Wine, women, coin n song.

Equal shares of each says I!

The vessel neared land faster than expected. Roberto was on the bow watching for the reef and taking soundings when he upturned his nose.

"¡POR DIOS!" he exclaimed.

"Hay problema?" Phonse asked. Suddenly, the smell hit the fat man. He stuffed his nose in the cuff of his sleeve. Even Tomas winced as the craft made it's way through the clear yet ominous fog of despicable stench. The native at the tiller inhaled deeply. Tomas noticed this immediately.

"Smell of low tide?" the Spaniard questioned.

"No," the deep voice boomed, "the smell of death."

Roberto looked at Phonse and both looked to Tomas.

"Si," Tomas agreed, "or this morning's breadfruit pudding." Roberto laughed, as did Phonse. The pallor of the tillerman remained unchanged. The dead was near.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Nate had gone and checked the swivels to see if they were clean. Satisfied that they were in order he loaded them. After that Nate adjusted the sails as they were closing in on the spot marked on the chart. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end and Nate got a shiver up and down his spine. "Oi, Cat. . . . Somthin seem strange to yer? Jus got that feelin like someone jus walked over m'grave. . . ." Nate looked at Red Cat and she slowly looked around the ship and surrounding waters, swallowed awkwardly and slowly shook her head. Nate shivered again and touched the pendant under his shirt. Grabbing up the spyglass, Nate jumped into the rigging and climbed as high as he dared. Looking about to see if he could see the two ships they were to rendezvous with. Nate scanned the area and only saw one small boat. Puzzled, Nate called down to Red Cat. "Oi! Th chart says theys supposed ta be right round ere, Aye? Where are they?"

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

Tomas and the men beached the boat among the other fishermen. They received an odd look when their craft did not unload nets laden with fish, but men laden with weapons. Tomas and the men made their way ashore within the fishing boats. The native stood for a moment watching the waves break slowly ashore. He knew something was amiss. The Spaniard and his meager crew paid no mind. They had a schooner to recover and a treasure to find.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Red Cat heard Nate..but she warn't lookin in his direction. She rifled hastily through her pokets mumblin things unintelligible aside from "Roberts..Silas an devil..sprinkled wit a few swears

Finally turnin up th' talisman she sought, Cat held it up t' the East rubbed it off.. an kissed it once depositin it back in a small pouch.

She turned once in th' spot she stood and then opened jes one eye....slowly.

Red Cat looked all 'round in a panic.."Nate!Nate! whar ye be?!" He was no where to be seen..untill he come down from th' tops wi his usual grin albeit a look o' concerned puzzlement. He held up th' parchment map and began t' explain.

I was just about to head below and get some rest, when Africa came flying from the hold. He raced across the deck, pushed Tunny away from the capstan, and started shouting, "We must go! Raise de anchor, you dogs! We must go now!"

The stunned crew just stood staring at him as he frantically tried to turn the capstan by himself, cursing us all as he did so.

I ran over to him and shouted in his terrified face, "What's going on? What the hell's the matter with you?"

He kept pushing uselessly at the capstan. "Dis a cursed place. We stay here, we all die."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

By the time Tomas had reached the thin line of trees he turned to see that each man had kept pace trudging through the soft deep sand amongst the nets and fishing gear. The boat that had carried him here was now headed back to see with the native at the tiller.

"¡Pequeño cabrón!" Tomas said out loud. Phonse turned to see the small craft just reaching full sail heading out of the harbor.

Tomas squinted in the bright sunlight. He now had to retake his vessel with Phonse and Roberto at his side. A daunting task at best with threefold the men with him. He needed more, or at least more skilled men in this undertaking. El Guerrero knew Catalina held lodging nearby. If anyone was to know who could be bought, it would be her. And she owed him.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Nate had pulled out the chart capin Ransom had given him with the pin prick at the location they would be. "See here Cat, th capin gave me this so we could find em after I found you. This be where she said they'd be an that's where we are. Now where be they?" Nate looked half confused and almost worried. Nate looked about, cocked his ear up as if waitin fer an answer, gave a mild grimace and barely shook his head and began lookin about some more. Nate did this three times before finally hissing a sigh and turned to Red Cat. "Father tells me capin told the lie. Says where she told me ta find em was a lie. That bein th case, an it looks ta be so as they ain't here. . . . An now I got an odd feelin about like we's bein watched agin." Nate took off his battered hat and shaded his eyes, rubbed the back of his neck and looked about with a more critical eye.

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

"Jimmy, grab that bucket and fill it with seawater!" I pointed to one of the fire buckets. Jimmy hesitated, while Africa still fought with the capstan. "Do it, damned you!"

Jimmy snatched up the bucket and rope, dipped it over the side, and came back with it sloshing full of water. I took it from him, then tossed the whole of it into Africa's face. The big black man stopped trying to turn the capstan by himself, and the wild look went out of his eyes.

I placed my hand on his arm, then said calmly, "We are not going to die. Yes, something seems to be going on here, but we'll figure it out and deal with it. Understand?"

He nodded, but mumbled, "Dis place cursed."

"Then we'll find out how to un-curse it." And at that, I glanced over at the Relentless. "I know just the person who can do it, or at least tell us what the hell is going on."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

It was a pleasant dream, a beautiful woman was caressing me, and kissing me. She spoke my name, and even giggled as I kissed her back. Funny I'm not usually in my hammock during these kind of dreams?

She smelled of flowers, alas as she turned to leave, I realized the dream was over. I sat up in my hammock, and saw Rosie ambling off in bare feet, towards the galley. "Wait!" I said, but she didn't even look back.

Red Cat grimaced...snatched th map from Nates hand..looked it over, looked out across th water an back towards where they come from.

She looked back at Nate fer a moment.. "Blast!" having shouted tha one word she paced off mumblin an grumblin an continued as such fer a moment..returnin back t' him she waved her arms wildly almost loosin th map in th breeze "Why would Ransom do tha?!" an continued on in a tirade..finally stoppin, she thrust th map back inta Nates hands an looked over her shoulder shieldin her eyes agin th' sun...

Cat spoke in a low tone, glarin back across th' open water.

"We'd best add some sail Mr. Durant...an find em wot we come wi, before those we...left behin.. comes a seekin after us"