CHUMMING ON THE HIGH SEAS

Paisley

as much as i love the water...

was curious who still...or can't seem to find their sea legs.

and any advice you have about the subject.

:rolleyes: anyone care to leave their best chumming story? ;)

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

I've only been seasick once, during a storm off the coast of Italy. Everyone on the ferry hurled. I was last to go. I got sick after the sea calmed, during the swells I was fine. Damn those smooth seas.

In Hawaii I was the only passenger on a sight-seeing trip not to spew. It turns out the charlatans who ran the boat had lied to us about having "the deepest keels in the Islands" before we signed on. After a few rounds of Mai Tais the rocking of the ship caused everyone (except myself) to chuck-up into white plastic bags. White plastic? You could see every bit of chum that came up. Half the people puked watching their neighbor filling up a bag.

We stopped for some snorkeling, and no one wanted to go, as they were all ill. I decided to go snorkeling, and dove down under the boat and lo and behold... no keel whatsoever! When I came aboard I announced my discovery to the passengers and everyone was ticked off. I wonder if they meant to get everyone sick to cut down on food consumption. Anyway, someone stole the Captain's hat in retailation!

:ph34r:

I've never been seasick...just ill from having been sunburned (an' I happened to be at sea). There was one time when I went fishin' with me grandpa (Fredd Oktober) and we got caught in the beginning of a storm. As we were coming in, my grandfather hooked one. Ye should have seen the old salt...bravely standing on deck, with huge waves tossin' us about...him reelin' in that fish, and finally bringin' it home! The whole front of his shirt looked like someone suddenly wanted to change his pallette to a mustard hue...but it was worth it fer him!

He was a merchant marine when he were younger, hence his true sea legs.

-Redd :ph34r:

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Sea puke - there's nuthin' like it in the world!

I remember shore leave in the Navy - I was on an aircraft carrier, which meant we were too big to dock, so they often made us anchor outside the harbor and ferry in and out on longboats. No problem going out, but just imagine coming in... at three in the morning... through storms and swells... with 50 drunk guys crowded onto a tiny little boat...

... the whole thing was slick with puke by the time we reached the ship. And THEN we had to get from the boat onto the ship, which was no small task in itself. But I digress, this thread is about vomit.

No one's answered the original question. Do I have any tips fer ya? Not really - I'm sure you already know to keep your eyes on the horizon, to try to stand upright and let the ship rock beneath you, and to take your motion sickness pills at least an hour before hand (so's you don't puke 'em back up.)

But I do have one more tip, that might work, or might backfire royally. I was recently working on the schooner Denis Sullivan. Mostly I did just fine, but we did have one sail with particularly large swells that got me feelin' a little (lot) queasy. This happened to be a cruise full of school kids, and a good half of them were leanin' over the edge (properly harnessed, of course) and pukin' their guts out. I finally got to feelin' so bad that I went to sit down when a little girl upped a whole load of cookies right at my feet. Well, somehow, I suddenly felt a whole lot better! Don't ask me why.

So next time I start feeling seasick, I might just start looking for someone who looks like they're about to spew, and give them a nice smack on the back to help them along :lol:

I AM BILGEMUNKY

ARGH !!! Finally a topic I have some expertise in. In March/April of 2000, I sailed 'tween Fishhead port in Wales to Waterford port in Ireland and back about a half dozen times. The Irish Sea was very rough at the time (maybe it always is???) and almost everyone on board was chumming really bad... what a symphony that was!!!

The only thing that saved me was eating a French Baguette before leaving on the Fishhead side, and staying very still, breathing in the cold air. The return trip, from Waterford to Fishhead was quite another story, though, as there were no bakeries in the vacinity. But I suppose my pride wouldn't allow me to blow my breakfast. White knuckled, for sure, but I just held on !!!!!

I've chummed more than a few seas over the years. Found two preventatives. Took a party cruise in Barbados a few years back on The Jolly Roger. Bonine and Old Brigand Rum let me eat a great meal and hang on to it while dancing on the foredeck. Not sure the sawbones would approve, though........

The other was pure bloody work. Out on the Providence, between hauling sail and running cannon broadsides, there just wasn't time to think about it.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I spent a couple of Summers in Alaska working a Salmon boat owned by my cousin. When you have 25ft swells and a 33 1/2ft boat. you spend allot of time in the hold on the keel. (lol) Alaska

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Only once. And it was, as some could attest, my own bloody fault. :)

But I recovered well, or so I'm told. And learned me lesson about rum an' Coke before hittin' the seas.... :lol:

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

Sailing in 40 - 50 feet seas is a little interesting because your body seems to be like a pinball as you traverse down each passageway. After the first day it hurts even worse as you are bounced to and fro again and instead of hitting a new piece of virgin flesh you generally hit the places yopu bruised the day before.

I can only remember one time I was even remotely close to being seasick. We had just gotten underway from Colon, Panama and headed out into the Caribbean. As we passed the Cristobal Breakwater we were immediately hit by 15 - 20 feet swells on the stbd bow. after an hour or so I was not feeling that great and went into the head hoping I would release whatever my stomach contained. After waiting what seemed like forever, probably only like 10 minutes, I still was unable to release the mother lode so I climbed into my rack.

An hour or two later I awoke and felt like a million bucks. Over the years I have found this to be rather useful whentver I felt like less than a salty sailor, take a nap and I wake up feeling great.

I do remember one time going from Colon, Panama to Rosie Roads, PR and we were taking a beating on the stbd bow the entire trip. When we arrived in PR I saw the stbd bow anchor was lost on the trip. I called the Master and let him know. The master, knowing my tendency to pull one's leg about a thing or two, didn't believe I was telling the truth and had to come down to see for himself that the stbd anchor was gone. Still it was a rather fun trip nonetheless.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

OFL ahoy me mate Bildgemonkey. I was on an aircaft carrier too. After a lenthy at sea period, we pulled into Hong Kong. Since my carrier was such a large ship. We were anchored some miles to sea in the outer harbor. It took about 20 to 30 minutes to make it to the Fleet Landing. After a lenthy bout of drinking in Kowloon. I found myself on a boat load of drunk sailors and marines. By the time we got to the ship, i was green around the gills. We had to idle at the bottom of the Jacob's ladder as one by one we jumped to the landing. Some made it, some didn't. This slowed the process even more. While we were milling about, the boat REALLY got to rocking. The final straw was the guy, a friend actually, who throw up over my shoulder. That was it for me. i joined him at the rail and heaved my nights investment over the side.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

I guess you learned never drink more than you can safely ride out through a mild swell. I remember the good ole days when you could tell where I'd been by the trail of beer cans in the water behind me.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

I be aboard a fancy crusin' ship during December on a 3-day run to Ensanada, Mexico. The waters turned rough and the good captain set her between the Tres Marianas islands and the coast to help ride it out.

Many a passenger be missin' the meals but I be havin' no troubles - I were six months pregnant at the time and I be walkin' with a list all the time on land or sea. :ph34r:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

That reminds me of a sad tale of a woman sailing one trip who was 5 months pregnant. She was sea sick to the point of being medivac'd 300 miles off shore. As a result of her ailments she lost her baby she was carrying.

I feel it all coming back to me now. Or is it just coming up again?

:ph34r: anyone care to leave their best chumming story? :ph34r:

Been diving and met some good seas on the way back. On a 100-some odd footer out of Santa Barbara and we hit mere 15' seas. Still gives a little rock and roll if you're not used to it. One lubber decided to feed the fish dead amidships and I swear to God he disappeared in the spray. We were all expecting to throw life preservers, etc., but somehow he held on.

...whentver I felt like less than a salty sailor, take a nap and I wake up feeling great.

This seems to work for Jenny, and me too if it's light enough, but heavier chop keeps me from falling asleep. Under those circumstances, if you stand on the bow, get some fresh air and synch your sight lines with your middle ear, you can calm it down.

:)

If you've got work to do, and Bonine puts you to sleep, try Scopalamine. Tell your ship's surgeon that you've issues on the water and he'll give you a cheap prescription. Best way (only way I've done it) is in patch form. This little, round band-aid lookin' thing you put behind your ear and no problems.

Another option, used in conjunction with either of the above, is ginger. Any form will help, but powdered in capsule form packs the most punch. Unlike the others, which have their effect on the middle ear and sinuses (AFAIK), ginger chemistry has an effect directly on the stomach.

Only by great risks can great results be achieved.

-Xerxes

That reminds me of a sad tale of a woman sailing one trip who was 5 months pregnant. She was sea sick to the point of being medivac'd 300 miles off shore. As a result of her ailments she lost her baby she was carrying.

Arrgh. That surely be a sad, sad tale. :ph34r:

I be havin' no lastin' effects - the cabin boy were 9 pounds, 14 ounces. Still hale and hearty to this day, almost 5 years later. Arrrrr.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I love the waves and see it as a very kool amusement park ride

...except...

with too much rum or the day after too much rum.

and just the smell of tequila can set my stomache right off

:ph34r:

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

I don't drink that crap yer nothing

ToKillYa...that is just too cute :)

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions