Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Captain Ulises and his crewmen roamed the bustling afternoon streets of Port Royal. There was a heady scent of fire mixed with the usual sea breeze. A thick column of black smoke drew Ulises’ eye skyward. The blaze would draw a crowd, one which might prove valuable to Ulises’ goals. His pace quickened, feet pounding steadily on the rough streets, as they drew closer to the source of the flames.

As the men rounded a corner they were halted by a crowd exiting a small church. Ulises’ paused, watching the well dressed guests pour out of the chapel, the loud peel of the church bells drowning out all other sound. Several were dressed in matching colors, obviously a ships crew of some kind. They scattered, most running in the direction of the growing fire. Ulises was about to continue towards the excitement as well when he noticed a man, walking with the aid of a cane, a lady supporting his other arm. He recognized Captain Striker in an instant. Ulises froze where he was, eyes riveted to the distant figure. A simple carriage pulled to a stop along the rutted street in front of the couple.

“Madre de Dios” Ulises gasped in shock, dark eyes centering on the captain’s companion.

He had seen the ladies red silk before, a scrap of it sent in a letter from Hernan. Ulises remembered his brother’s letter vividly; it had been the last correspondence he received before the loss of La Maligna. His brother had commissioned a gown made from the delicate fabric. Hernan had chosen the material especially to compliment his beloved’s auburn tresses. It had been meant as a betrothal gift. Now the very garment adorned the woman at Striker’s side. The audacity of the man, continuing to rob his brother even after death! Ulises rage was overwhelming. Thick hands clenched into fists, one closed protectively around the well used pistol at his side. He plowed through the crowd, aiming straight for the couple. Never mind the throng of people surrounding him; he would see Striker’s dead body today regardless of the cost. The sea of people resisted his advance. They jostled him, forcing him backward as many steps as forward. Shoving past a stocky, older gentleman, Ulises watched in frustration as his quarry boarded the waiting carriage. The door shut, driver steering through the assembly before Ulises could get close enough to stop them. Frustrated, he grabbed the arm of the young man who had helped Striker into the coach. He spoke slowly, mindful of his accent with every word.

“Pardon. Do ye know who the lady with Captain Striker might be?”

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweat was dripping off my chin. Struggling to get this water up to the buring buildings. "Spash, sizzzzz..." I threw the water on what I could reach. Ithe fire drew back but only briefly. Despriation settingin, I saw there was many people trying to tame the blaze. "We need to work together. Like on a ship" I thought.

"HOho, my friend.." I shouted to a man next to me. "Gather as many men as we can, we need to start a cain."

"What..." he replied.

"We need everyone to form a line and help run buckets back and forth. I think we 'ave enough people."

"Aye! We need more than a few buckets at a time ehh." he said as truned to his other mates.

"Aye" I thought to myself.

I picked up as many buckets as I could hold and ran down to the sea wall. Looking for something to help lower the buckets someone slapped me on the back, "Wot can I do to help?"

As I turned to reply I spotted a grappling hook and had an idea.

"Aye, lower these down with that hook 'n line." I said as I handed him the hook and a bucket. "You start to draw the water, I'll hand it off."

I turned and saw people lining up behind me forming a chain.

The ride back to Striker's ship in the carriage seemed to take forever . Every bump on the street seemed to settle in his back , turning the bumps into pain that traveled through his body and ending out into small groans .

"That was some wedding , was it not ?" He asked Jane

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Sterling ran a critical eye over the chaotic scene that greeted him and his crew.

"There's where the line forms," he pointed as men and boys began to settled into place in the chain. He turned to his officers. "Mr. Hazzards, take a dozen of the lads back to the ship to reinforce the others left behind. She should hold her own just fine where she be anchored. But if this blaze keeps up or the wind turns for the worst, I want ye to make out to sea a good distance."

"Aye, aye, sir," Hazzards replied. With slight bow he turned and ran down the line of crewmen. "All right lads, ye heard the Captain. We haven't got all day!"

Sterling looked then to the others.

"Mr. Beach take whom ye will need to try and start a fire wall to the rear of that building behind the Shippe. The wind is in yer favour so far... if necessary ye know what to do to bring several of those others down to stop the spread. Mr. March, see to the crowd, either get them to work or get them out of the way. Lollygaggers will only hamper everyone's hard work here. The rest of ye, with Mr. Straw down to the line tis the bucket brigade for ye. Mr. Merriweathers both, with me. Be ready to run messages lads and collect what buckets ye can, now let us see to makin sure there be no one forgot and in harm's way."

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

In a furry of heated words Lady Tess St. Claire left Christ’s Church. She walked to the end of the long stair case and verbally assaulted the Valet complaining that her carriage should have been one of the first carriages in line after the bridal coach. As he opened the door for her she gave him a snide look. “Idiot!” She said as she fell back onto the seat. She quickly called out to the coachman. “To the Shipp Inn, quickly!” The carriage pulled away from the steps of the church and made its way back to the lower streets of Port Royal. It was then Lady St. Claire smelled smoke and the loud commotion of the people shouting and yelling in the streets as she got closer to the inn.

“Here, what is going on?” She shouted to the coachman as the carriage began to slow. It looks like The Shipp is no more, Lady. It has caught fire and there are many about who are trying to assist in the extinguishing of it!” It was then Lady St. Claire quickly pulled herself from her seat and climbed out of the carriage. There before her eyes the building was engulfed in an inferno of flame. “Good God!” She said then quickly ran towards the blaze. It was there she found Bess carrying a bucket of water and passing down the line. “You girl!” Tess said motioning Bess to come forward. “How in the name of God did this happen?” “I don’t know?” Said Bess in a confused tear filled state. “I only stepped out for a moment to do a bit of shopping. When I returned I found the inn in flames. I have not seen me Uncle, yet. Oh, I pray that he got out with his life!”

Tess looked up at the tiny room that once was hers. It now was gone, along with all her correspondence to Lord Darnly and other important items. “Damn!” She again muttered to herself. “This will not do…at all!”

"That was some wedding , was it not ?"

Jane finally released the laugh she’d been holding for most of the event. Her cheeks turned pink with amusement. The entire wedding was quite a fiasco, like something out of the best theatres in England. She doubted any playwright would have done a better job than the participants themselves had.

“Aye, it was. Now I can see why ye didn’t want to miss it.” She gasped between giggles, a broad smile on her face.

The grin faded a little seeing Striker struggle with the bumping ride. She leaned across the small space, resting her small hand on his knee. He covered it with one of his own, the next jerk of the carriage eliciting a light squeeze as the pain shook him.

“Perhaps ye should rest soon, sir. Ye can not heal with all this gallivanting.” Her suggestion was punctuated by the halting of the coach, the door swung open to reveal the floating visage of La Maligna.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

:ph34r: "That we bit o blaze..."he laughs to himself. Slinking quickly between the buildings he hopes no one has noticed him. "hehe...I wonder if they think I had somethin ta do wit that little fire? After that weddin' this town needs some real excitement." He slips quietly into the tavern and orders a tankard of rum.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

Trilby and I both moved quickly to the low wall and looked down the street. People were either running away from the billowing smoke, carrying whatever goods they could manage, or were running toward the blaze, water buckets in hand. Although the fire was two streets over, the wind carried fluttering ash and sparks, dropping them like black snow on the roof of Trilby's house.

Even as we watched, a corner of the thatched patio cover smoldered. I grabbed the Port decanter and, standing on a chair, poured the aged liquor over the spark, drowning it.

"That was a twenty year vintage, yea idiot!" Trilby railed.

"Unless you want to lose your house, you better start looking for some water. Is there a well in back? Anything we can use to wet down the roof?"

Trilby shook his head. "Only a rain barrel by the side lane entrance. The door you used the day Killingsworth shot that Captain. Besides, if you nae have noticed, my roof is tile."

"Find Souris, tell him to fetch water from the barrel. Your roof may be tile, but your house is beamed in wood, and so are your neighbors'. If the fire gets close enough, this place will burn like a funeral pyre."

Trilby seemed too stunned to move, no doubt thinking of his vast strange collection housed within. There would be no way to save much of it if the house burned. But it wasn't until a cinder landed in his turban and began to smoke, that he came to his senses.

Ripping the length of cloth from his head, he rushed to another spiral of white smoke on the patio cover and beat at the glowing thatch like a man possessed. All the while he bellowed, "Souris, God rot yea, where are yea?"

The smoke and ash were getting thicker. "Do what you can. I'll go below and get the water. Is there a bucket nearby?"

"It's by the barrel. Find that blasted servant of mine and get him to help." Trilby continued to swing his turban at the roof, but over a dozen plumes of smoke now danced along its surface. In the corner, the dead potted plant caught fire, blazing like a torch.

Gritting my teeth, I bent low, picked up the clay pot, and heaved the burning thing over the wall. Before it hit the street, I was running for the stairs to the lower floor, shouting for Souris.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

:ph34r: Dan steps to the door of the tavern and watches the conflageration grow steadily larger. "hehe...I'de like te meet the lads what started tha' thar blaze" Watching the people scurry hither and yon is quite pleasing. He continues to nurse his tankard, smiling, as the smoke rises to the heavens. :ph34r:

Lauritzsen had opened the door to the carriage and had taken his hand out to help Striker to get out.

Striker gave him his hand while being supported by the guiding hands of Jane.

Striker looked at the black column of smog rising over the town . The wind seemed to be spreading the fire towards Fort Morgan from what Striker could see . He explained the situation to Lauritzsen and told him to keep an eye on the black smoke , if it came to close they would have to moor away from the docks and into the bay.

As Jane and Striker went up the plank , closely followed by Lauritzsen , they could see the men aboard the ship gathering along the railing to look at the smoke as it hovered up to the heaven above.

Striker continued to walk towards his cabin without looking back.

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

We watch the blazing Inn and all the people trying to put the fire out for a half hour or more. "Well Ian, I'm bored, an tirsty. I still got some silver coin in my pocket, do you?" Ian pats his pockets. a slight clink of coins is heard. "I got some left, but we need ta get more." "That we do, brudder, that we do. Let us go have a drink an maybe somethin ta eat." We nod to one another and head down through the shop, not a soul to be seen. I head over to tha counter and rumage around in the papers and things. "Ha Ha! Luck we have!" I show Ian a miniature chest box and shake it. The contents shift around. Opening the box, I pour out what's inside. Several coins scatter across the tabletop. "Looks ta be enough fur another day ta fill our bellies." I pick up all tha coins, devide them and hand Ian his share. "Lets go. I tink we past a pub last night called the cat and fiddler or sometin. Far enough away ta not be bothered by this mess." Ian nods at me again. "Aye, good a place as any." We walk out into the street and down past the burning building, all the while the swarm of people run water from the warf with buckets. As we come through on the other side we see a carrage stop and that damned bint step out, looking at the blaze and looked to be talking to herself. I elbow Ian, "Looky der. . . dats th bint who was yellin 'murderers!' at us when we was takin away th body. . . I tink we might have sometin ta do dis evenin'." I grin wickedly at Ian, he grins back and we both chuckle some as we walk to the edge of the crowd.

Titim gan éirí ort.

Go mbeire an diabhal leis thú

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

"Come mistress!" Insisted Reiley. "We need to get you out of harm's way"

"But I can help.." insisted Mistress McKinney, as she was quickly ushered away from the blaze by the doctor.

"My dear, if the wind shifts and the fire turns, this crowd will become a blind stampede." added Reiley, as he helped the Mistress traverse the crowd. "The farther you are away from this epic the better."

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

She was standing near the blazing building with tears running down her face. For young Mr. Davis there was no question of where his assistance was truly needed. Then darting through the crowd, Davis quickly made his way to the young girl's side.

"Bess?" Said Davis, as he placed his hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright?"

Bess looked up from her bucket. At first she did not recognize the kind fellow who befriended her. Her mind was elsewhere as of the moment. She feared for her Uncle and she feared for her own safety too. With her breath haggard and her face sopping wet with tears she could only nod a yes. Mr. Davis raised an eyebrow at her answer.

"Come now, Bess…you can confine in me. There is no harm in it.” She bit her lower lip in as she gazed up at him again. “No.” Her voice was almost a whisper. “No, I am not all right. I fear my Uncle dead, and look at the Inn. ‘Twas the only home I’ve known since I can remember and now it is gone. Where shall I go? What will become of me? I am destitute and will end up in prison for sure!”

The panic look up her face pricked at Mr. Davis’ heart. In that moment, he let go of all fear and quickly took her in his arms and held her close. “Fear not, I will look after you. We will manage through this horrible event. You are safe now, Bess.” He held her tightly; breathing in the moment that he hoped would last forever. Suddenly, he felt the warm return of her embrace. His heart surged with a feeling of contentment. The two of them stood there in the middle of the crowds as the fire continued to take hold of the Inn.

Bessbeingcalledout.jpg

Bess Hagarty - Indentured Servant

For an hour, Trilby, Souris and I battled the sparks and the small fires they caused. The thatched patio roof cover burned to ash, a wool carpet and two of the patio chairs caught fire, but were put out before being destroyed. Covered with soot, and wet from the sloshing buckets, the three of us continued to throw water wherever needed.

Trilby, huffing up the stairs with a bucket, gasped, "That's the last of the water. If the wind does nae shift, I fear our fight is lost."

I took the bucket, which was only half-full, and tossed the water onto the roof. With a hiss of steam, the small flames dancing along the ridge-line went out. Wiping my sweating forehead, I turned to the professor. "Pack what you can. There's nothing burning at the moment, but with no water, if the flames start up again, your house will surely be destroyed."

The old man, his face flushed, his beard singed, looked with despair toward the stairs. "Pack? I nae can pack all mae things in five minutes. It's taken me years tae collect...it's mae life that will go up in flames. I canna let that happen!"

I watched as the house across the street was engulfed in a hot, roaring inferno. "You may not have a choice."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

“I’ll give you 25 guineas for it!” Said the Shoppe keeper eyeing over the broach. “Thou are mad!” Said Lady St. Claire. “Tis worth more than that and ye know it!” The Shoppe keeper gave Lady St. Claire a scowling look. “It could be paste for all I know and how do I know ye didn’t steal it…not that I care, of course!” Tess’ eyes widened with shock. “I am not accustom to wearing paste jewels and I do not steal!” She quickly grabbed the broach from the Shoppe keepers hand and placed it back into her pocket. “If ye do not wish to do business with me, I shall find another who will.” As she turned and was about to leave the little Shoppe, the Shoppe keeper groaned with displeasure. “Ahh…all right already!” He said pulling out a coin box from below the counter. “God help me…for I am far too generous to the ladies and a pretty face. I will give to thee 35 guineas, but not a penny more!” “Done!” Said Tess as she turned the broach to him in exchange for the money.

After the trade, she quickly obtained a carriage for hire. She knew that with her lodgings gone along with all her documents and goods, she would be better off in hiding for a bit until things with the Captain and his new bride to be settled down a bit. She still needed to obtain evidence against Captain Sterling. But now that Mistress Lilly McKinney had spoken in his favor, Tess was concern that the leverage that she had over the Actress was also crumbling. “I cannot believe that woman spoke up and defended him after what he had done to her?! I will never understand why in heaven’s name she would do such a thing.” Soon the carriage slowed as it arrived at its’ destination. A Negro footman opened the door to the carriage and bowed low. “Is your Master in?” She said addressing the footman. “He is. I shall escort you to the hall.” And with that the two of them made their way into the grand house.

"My dear, if the wind shifts and the fire turns, this crowd will become a blind stampede." added Reiley, as he helped the Mistress traverse the crowd. "The farther you are away from this epic the better."

Lilly looked back at the inferno that now look like some monstrous mass of flame and smoke. From where she stood she could see Captain Sterling and his crew assist in the task of trying to extinguish the fire. She watched as the Captain shouted commands and pushed his men into vigor and form. “Will he be alright?” Said Lilly turning towards the doctor. “He is just getting over his injury and I fear that…” “Now, now, never you mind.” The good doctor said quickly taking her hand and leading her away from the chaos of the crowds and flame. “I will make sure that Mr. Davis keeps an eye on him in our absence. As of now, we need to get you back to some place safe.” “Where do you suggest?” Lilly said looking a bit confused at his concern. “The Three Crowns for now.” And with that Doctor Rieley quickly pulled her through the crowds and noticed Mr. Davis occupying his time with Wee Bess. Reiley’s eyebrows raised a bit. “Remind me to talk to Mr. Davis when we see him next.”

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

:huh: Leaving the doorway of The Three Crowns, Dan makes his way to the shoppe next door. Finding it empty, he searches behind the counter until he finds the money box. Prying the small lock off with his dagger, he empties the contents into his hand. "hehe...nothin' like a fire ta keep one's attention" he says. Pocketing the coins, he walks calmly out the door and into the next shoppe. He continues down the street, searching shoppe after shoppe adding to the jingle in his pouch. He notices Tess leaving a shoppe and wonders why the keeper is not out battling the blaze. With a shrug, he enters the shop, pulls a pistol from his belt and shoots the shoppe keeper between the eyes. Then taking the contents of the money box still on the counter he notices a sparkling bauble still clutched in the keeper's hand. "I'll be taken that, mate." he says to the corpse. Prying the shiny jewel from the dead man's hand, he turns and with a whistle walks nonchalantly from the shoppe. "Easy days work" he says to himself as he returns to The Three Crowns for another tankard of ale. :huh:

Ian and I followed the woman at a distance, she went into a shop, After a time she came out, turned and went in againm back out and into a carriage for hire. We kept to the shadows and were about to follow the carriage when Ian grabs my jacket front. "Liam, lookit dis bloke comin along ere." We watched as a stout fella walked in and out of several shops, looking happier each time he came out. He then went into the shop The bint had left. We heard a pistol shot and not long after he emerged whistling and waltzes down into the Three Crowns. "Ya tink dat twit's doin wot I tink e's doin?" We peeked out again and made our way down to the shop and looked in, there lay the owner with blood dripping out of his forhead. "Aye, brudder, he were doin wot we tink." We continue past and to the front of the Three Crowns. In our curiosity, we lost the carriage with the woman in it. "Dats a pisser. . . but tis a small town, we'll see da bint again. . . Soon."

Titim gan éirí ort.

:lol: Dan notices the two stout lads looking in the door of the tavern. "Come on in, lads. The drinks be on me seein as how the tapster done run off ta fight that wee spark. I seen ye as I was leavin' that there shoppe and I be wonderin' to meself 'why's two strappin' lads like these not helpin wit that bit o' blaze?' So I says, says I, these must be what may have started yonder blaze." he winks. "Come lads, drink up. Mayhaps we have some business to talks about." Dan lays one of his pistols on the bar. "Just in case, ye see." he says laughing. :huh:

"Mayhaps ye b' tinkin' a bit a'ead o' yerself sa'. Me bruddah an' I been 't th' wharf fer th' day seekin' passage t' 'ispaniola. Ye better watch yer tongue wit statements like 'at." Mygaze narrowed at the man and simultaneously as my hand sat on my pistol's stock, my brother's moved to his as well. "We mean no trouble sa', jus' dinnot like ta get mixed up wit tines we dinnot 'ave part 'f." The man laughed again and waved his hand to the seats nearest him. Liam and I looked at each other and stood still waiting for a reply.

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

:lol: "as ye wish, lads, as ye wish" he smiles as he notices their hands resting on their pistols. "I've been ta Espaniola. Nice place, that. But come, come, drink up me hearties...the ale's free ye see...no tapster. I plan on bein' roarin drunk by th' time 'e returns. Then laugh as 'e wonders where all 'is ale has gone." Dan lifts his tankard in salute and takes a pull of the dark brown ale. "Le's talk o' ships and wenches." he says, wondering just how much they know of the murder he committed. "Ye have th' look o' fine sailors an' I be lookin fer a crew perhaps." he takes another drink with a smile, keeping his hand close to his pistol. :huh:

"Look a fine sailor, do we now? Aye." I look at the man, and then at Ian and give him a very slight shrug. "Aye, we'll ave a pint r two." I move around and get us each a tankard from behind the bar and fill them with the rich liquid. Handing one to Ian a raise mine up "Sliante" and talk a pull. We stay standing at the bar while the man talks. I see his tankard is dry so I grab another empty and fill it, setting it on the table in front of him. "Der ye go m'boy-o."

Titim gan éirí ort.

:lol: " I see ye be fine Irish lads" Dan says as he takes the flagon from Liam. "It be a good thing fer us Celts ta stay t'gether if'n ye know what I mean. I be called "Bloody" Dan Reid" says Dan as he dofts his crimson bonnet. "I be from the shores of Aberdeen an' me kin before me from the highlands. Twas a sad, sad day when I was forced from those bonny shores" he sighs, tugging at the tartan sash around his waist.. with a shake of his head " Enough o' that. I be in the market fer a sound ship. Quick as the wind and the bite o' a shark she must be. Fore I tend ta make me fortune wit' her plunderin' them braggin' Spaniards" he winks, " an any other with the misfortune ta cross her bow. Light and fast wit' a shallow draft. Do ye be knowin' bout such a ship here abouts?" Dan asks taking another drink of his ale.

With fickle suddeness, the wind shifted, blowing sparks and ash toward the harbor. With barely a nod to Trilby, I abandoned the rescue of his house, now that it was no longer in danger, and ran to the wharf. Africa and Tunny were waiting with the boat.

Africa said, "Soon as we saw dat smoke, we put da boat in the water, knowin' you would be wantin' ta be back on board."

"Quick thinking," I replied. "I'd have been back sooner, but I was helping the Professor save his house. It's out of danger, I think, but we need to move the Rakehell further out. I can't risk even the remotest possiblility of a fire."

"Africa had us hoist the main anchor before we came ta get ya." Tunny grinned. "We be all set ta go, waitin' only on yurself."

Once on board, I would give orders to put to sea. I'd take the Rakehell to the secret cove described by Sebastian. She could wait there safe from the flames of Port Royal, until the Devareaux's could take possession of her explosive cargo.

"Good ta be away from dat port," Africa commented.

"Yes, it is. Unfortunately, we may have to go back." It would depend, I thought, on how the Devareaux's wanted to work the trade—goods, or gold.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg