Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

A gentle rap was applied, then Sterling leaned in toward the door.

"Aurore, Chere, please I must speak with ye," he called softly.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devon waited patiently to assure he was not needed. Door was opened, the dim flicker of candle light barely glimpsed, and Sterling was allowed inside. With the barrier closed once more, Irishman left to reclaim divan kingdom.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Sterling halted inside, needing time for his vision to adjust.

"Lady there is something I must ask ye. Ye gave me yer word once that ye would not hide yer feelings from me any more. I know," he slowed his pace. "I know that yer traditions and ways are important to ye, but I need to know one thing... just between you and me...no Roma, no Gadje... "

Before he could stop himself he had turned his back to her, unwilling to watch her expression, fearful of what he might now see.

"Earlier ye told me that despite yer fear of the water, ye would stand by me... because yer traditions says you must. If I could not see it in yer eyes, I would never have known that ye still fear the sea, and I would have made ye take a step that mayhaps ye are not ready for yet.. ...I would not do anything to purposely cause ye harm... my God, I am scared to death now to even face ye because of what I have done...but I need to know Chere," he made himself to look upon her..."without tradition prodding you, can ye stand by me because ye love me? Can ye truly tell me what is in yer heart even if tradition dictates otherwise?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

After allowing Sterling entrance, Aurore had backed away to take seating on the large bed that dominated far wall. Two lone candles gave wavering lumination to the small room, lumination that she shied from in order to hide the swell and redness of her eyes. After his departure earlier, it was here that Aurore had sought sanctuary away from the others. With not a word, she had swiftly navigated to smallish boundries as the heavy tears began to fall and had continued so until the welcome of mattress comfort conjoled a fitful rest from emotional strain.

Those below had suspected something amiss, had waited for words of instruction that never came. Burke had offered going to Sabastian, but had been negated by Childermass who had slipped into early evening gloom and dissapeared.

Aurore listened now, fighting the minute quiver of lip and nasal burn that announced the further call of liquid diamond flood. This rift of emotions, so unkown to her, conjured forth insecurities that she did not know how to tame; making her feel liked trapped rabbit. Inhaling deeply, breath stuttering with intake, she turned wide expressive eyes to where he stood as heavy salt crystal broke the barrier of lower lid to fall into the dim below. Her voice was ragged whisper...

"Je t'aime...et avoir peur de qu....'"

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

He had said his piece and it was settled in his mind that it would take time for her to adjust and for him to change as well. Any good partnership would require such a period for the molding of souls and personalities... marriage was no different. He turned away from her gaze again as she pondered his request, quickly running the back of his hands across his eyes. It would not due for her to see him weak. And yet, had he not just asked for her to be transparent... at least to him?

As the seconds crept slowly past, the sound of his heart beat pounded so loudly in his ears that he thought the entire world must surely know of his plight. He felt compelled to strain his hearing for fear that he would not catch her reply. He made himself once more to come about and face her. He straightened, as best he could, he was not proud of how he had treated her. Why had he not just asked her again, instead of putting them both through all this?

And now another thought crossed his mind, what if his actions had pushed her too far away to bring her back? He looked at her, hard to see in the dark where she sat and cursed his lack of vision because he could not discern the damage he may have done. And suddenly the loud thumbing within his breast came to an abrupt halt as slight candle light allowed him a glimpse of single tear caressing lover's face. A solitary thought now gripped his mind like a vise... he had lost her. His eyes lowered, his own tears spilling forth, he did not care now if she saw him for who he truly was.

And then she had whispered.

"Je t'aime..."

Like a man finding himself with noose about neck and pardon suddenly appearing before being pushed from cart, he breathed again. Deep breath gasped in relief as he crossed the room in long strides to fall to his knees before her. His arms about her, his head laid repentenedly in her lap, he begged her. "Oh God, Aurore, forgive me..." and then her three words were repeated back to her over and over again.

Crewe of the Archangel

She reached forward hesitantly, brushing back the damp tangle of blonde hair away from Sterling's face. The situation still had her sense of balance off kilt and words were kept wisely in check as the wet of his cloathing saturated her own and the bed cover she sat upon. No battle to wage, no glory or victory to claim, Aurore waited with exterior calm to see what his next action would be.

He raised his head and looked hard into her eyes. He now could easily see he had left her to cry in order to go off to talk to someone else about her, instead of speaking with her.

"Sorry I am, Chere. So very, very sorry, but then ye know I am a fool. I would rather die than hurt ye and now look what I have done to ye. If tis on land ye wish to stay, then I shall not force ye to sail with me... twill give me all the more reason to see to my duty and return home quickly and safely to ye."

She gazed down at him, her fingers tenderly combing his hair from his eyes, wiping the tears from his face.

"M'épouser mon bien-aimé?" he whispered. "Ce soir."

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore's attentions paused as she looked intently into Sterling's eyes.

"Are you sure? I do love you, with the very essence of my being....But do not wish to be a ....burden. I do not wish to bring you shame or discomfort."

The delicate wrought of her features became drawn with concern and fear.

He took her hands in his.

"Oh oui, Chere, yes...yes. I am certain... I would rather die than let ye go. I was so afraid I could not make ye happy... but I know now that at least I must have the chance to try. I do not wish ye to ever regret spending yer life with me." He leaned his cheek into the comfort of her palm and closed his eyes. "I fear it is I who shall be the burden and disappoint... but if ye can bare such a burden then please tell me yes..."

Crewe of the Archangel

"If you think that you can shoulder the possible condemnations, then I shall say yes. And do so with pure heart and clear conscience...but please keep in mind, cher...I am what I am and though we are accepted here in this tiny out of the way place, in others there will be no hiding my skin or features and you may face ridicule for your choice."

Aurore bent forward, brushing his forehead with the soft touch of full lips.

He looked at her, locking his gaze with hers.

"You are the air I breath; the water that quenches my dying thirst; my sanctuary within the storm...And if there is one thing I know, it is this. From now until I draw my last breath, no matter what others deem right or wrong... that will never change."

Crewe of the Archangel

She remained stock still, as if mimicing vanetian masterpiece transformed from marble cool to the warmth of flesh rendering. Not a twitch disturbed her perfection of motionless poise, not a blink, and she remained that way, dark olive pools trapped by his own of lighter shade as the familiar words caressed her hearing then a smile slowly spread over toffee features, disintigrating the illussion. The word she offered to him was soft in tone, but therin lay a mixture of emotions confined to simple means.

"Oui..."

He held her than and was held by her. For a few moments of time there was no more need for words. But soon reality invaded once more and he pulled gently from her.

"I must make arrangements else where for tonight. Perhaps there is a place the dinner can be moved to at such short notice... can ye arrange something Chere, while I go to the 'Angel and change and collect my officers. And word must be sent to Sabastian as to the change of location."

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore considered for a moment then nodded as a location came to mind, " There is an Inn that can accommodate our need and will be happy to do so. We have had relations with them for a long time and there is a private room to be had. I can send word there...Perhaps you should take Monsieur Burke with you, he knows the way to the Dancing Steer."

"Very well Chere," he said. He rose to his feet, then leaned in to kiss her good bye. "I shall make the arrangements and come collect ye later. Mayhaps afters, I shall show ye the Archangel from the docks, if ye like."

forgiveness.jpg

Crewe of the Archangel

She smiled warmly, the storm that threatened so vehemantly before had passed them over and what damage had been done in its' wake was minor. Moving to the door, she called down the hallway for Devon then turned back to watch Sterling with loving eye.

"I shall await your return, and feel as though I am dying of thirst until that time when you quench my soul again. Please take care, Devon will keep you safe, but I still worry of your health, Sucre'."

Aurore grew quiet mommentarily before going on, as though lost in some private thought then returned to the present.

"I think I should like to see your ship...Mayhaps, from the decks themselves."

He beamed at her response... his two greatest loves coming together. Human nature, how one loves to share the things they treasure with the people they value.

He lifted her chin gently, propped upon the backs of his fingers.

"Merci Chere, perhaps ye shall, when the time is right. Tis home to me and mine, remember, there I can always be with ye...always. And someday I hope ye can find the peace that the 'Angel provides me and then I will show ye the world. Till then, ye best be lookin for a house here that we can call home as well."

Crewe of the Archangel

"If that is what you wish...But the cottage you know of is not the only property we own. I am sure Sabastian will be able to figure something out."

She streached upward, careful not to disturb his injury and laced her arms around his neck, "Perhaps you should be on your way before the hour grows later...Se rappeler que, Sucre'....Je t'aime."

He looked down into her face and sighed, for a moment a sparkle surfaced in his eyes.

"God Chere, ye do that and it makes it hard on a man to leave ye," he chuckled. He kissed her than and as she released him he gave a sweeping bow, all the more comical by his current appearance. He passed through the open door, came back for first one kiss and then a second. Upon his third, with a laugh, she pushed him carefully back out into the hall.

"Je t'aime Chere," he called back over his shoulders. "Jusqu' а plus tard."

Crewe of the Archangel

Sockton, Burke and Roberts conversed quietly in the shop's main room. Hushed speculations and contemplations were aired in regard to the Englishman suddenly in their surrounds. The whole thing was quite a quandry to their thinkings, the attraction obvious but odder still.

As the door upstairs was heard to open and muffled conversation drifted below, the trio changed subject matter and acted nothing amiss as Sterling's footsteps sounded the stairwell.

"Mr. Burke,if ye please. Time is fleeting and there has been a change of plans," Sterling announced.

Spying Childermass in the corner, the edges of his lips curved upward ever so slightly. He gave a wink and then a respectful nod of his head in gratitude.

"Mr. Burke," he repeated redirecting his attention back to where it had begun. "If ye would be so kind as to accompany me to some place called the Dancing Steer, I would be most grateful." Sterling waited as Burke collected himself, already Childermass had made his way out into the streets. Sterling sighed. His person finally relaxing as breath was expelled from tired lungs. It was nice to know, in the world of Le Cour, he was no longer alone.

Crewe of the Archangel

Although the rain had abated to some extent, Devon reapeared in an overcoat of heavy wool. You could take the boy out of Ireland, but the instinct of the reversal would never ocure. They stepped onto muddied cobbles, Burke winding through byways not commonly used as point A to point B navigation. In ten minutes, they emerged onto a main lane not overfar from the harbour. A warm glow beconed from the otherside, cast to the outer gloom through the semi-distortion of glazier skill.

Burke glanced down both directions of the mildly populated street, then left the cover of darker shadows to cross onto selected destination.

The Steer achieved, both men entered, Burke pausing just beyond the door.

"Here," he said, "And what might the business be... looking the way ya do, I'm tinkin they'll be tossin ya back out before they even begin to carry on a conversation with the likes of ya, Captain."

Sterling's eyes narrowed a smidge regarding the smirk on Devon's face.

and the blatant verbal nudge.

"Tonight's dinner... it needs to be moved here," he replied. "Mistress Devareaux said there was a private room here to be let, even at this late hour."

Crewe of the Archangel

"Aye...Tis a fact. But o' me own mind, best be tha' I speak to these folk...Iffin' it be Aurore's needs tha' need tendin'."

Devon eyed Sterling again, the smirk still hinting his expression.

"Tell me what ye want an' I'll talk to Mister Browne..."

"A dinner...in honour of Mistress Devareaux. There is to be Monseiur Devareaux, eight of my officers, Aurore, myself, ..." he looked at Burke a moment, his mouth open in mid thought. "And of course, Christophe Lambert. Also, I would like to extend an invitation to my shadow... Seth Childermass, if he would be so inclined to accept it." If not, Sterling mused, odds are the old giant would be hidden there some place any way.

Crewe of the Archangel