Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

The hazy, incense-laden air, the pain-wracked expression of the crucified Christ which hung above us, and the underlying threat of danger, made this encounter all the more macabre.

I gave a low laugh. "Oh, sir, you are very good. Such enuendos would serve you well at any court. I should know, I've had them played out for me before. It is Miss, for I observe that most husbands are useless creatures. As far as what service...I have something to sell or trade, whichever you prefer." I cocked an eye. "And it does not involve my person."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabastian pursed his lips in thought to her words. Circling around to stand behind, he leanded forward over her shoulder to right ear.

"Then which is it? Barter or sell and what is up for the offering?" he whispered, then backed away, but not before light touch placed errant copper curl in check behind choosen ear.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

The carriage was directed to the back courtyard, rear entrance unlocked , then Sterling removed to be placed on chamber divan. Childermass paid the driver, more than what was neccessary, to ensure silence then returned securing the door.

Burke glanced sidelong with wrinkling of nose, " Port? Saints be willin' his stomache be made o' stout stuff. I don' t'ink Himself would be much pleased if it be otherwise..."

The light pad of footfall sounded above, then in sequence down the stairway. Aurore entered the room with puzzlement lacing her brow, glancing to the two other men then to where Sterling lay. Childermass and Burke moved back to allow her near, no further comments made on the situation.

Noticing that he was soaked through, she requested that the small back room hearth be lit then returned to the second floor in search of clothing that might fit while his dried. What was procured was mismatched, by far, but would serve for the time being. Childermass helped prop Sterling's dead weight while she carefully removed wet adornments.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Cold air on wet flesh was more than enough to cause eyelids to flutter.

“Ohhh…. God…” Sterling mumbled over awkward tongue. Aurore watched as first green eye opened than blind, both rolling upwards back into head briefly before closing again as head dipped forward, chin on chest. Childermass covered laugh as best he could as Burke leaned forward over Aurore’s shoulder and jerked betrothed’s head upward with fingers laced in long blond waves, proper wig already set to dry before the infant fire. Unsure of companions’ behaviour, Aurore frowned for an instant then reached to untie fine linen cravat resting upon silken ribbons.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The sound of doorknob turn announced new arrival. Henri Stockton acted as nothing was amiss, moving to a far shelf to retrieve a requested tome. In his wake, Sean Roberts followed, pausing in step to look upon what transpired within the gathering.

"Oh T'underin' Jayz!...who tapped the port cask?..."

A warning look thrown by Seth cease any further observations. With removal of shirt, the wound was inspected briefly then redressed. What was damped was replaced with dry, then Sterling was laid down to divan support. A quilt was put into use, the others waiting to see if further need was called for.

Aurore thanked them quietly, then one by one gathering dispersed, leaving only two.

“Are the others gone, Chere?” Sterling whispered, good eye opening solely to glance across at Aurore. Covering was pushed back and he sat up, good hand coming to temple as slight groan was emitted. “They all ready think me the laughing stock of Jamaica, I suppose it does no harm to continue letting them believe as they will, especially since I most likely am... My head is spinning."

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore pushed him back gently to a large throw pillow's support and spoke in hushed tones, "Non, Sucre'....I do not think that is their judgement of you...Perhaps they just do not fully understand you. Please do not think too harshly of them for that."

She laid gentle caress to his cheek as an act of comfort.

He closed his eyes, her touch tender with each stroke. "I could lay here forever with ye by my side," he sighed. He shifted slightly to look at her better. "I do not judge them Chere, they have every right to think as they do. They must hate me in fact, this foolish English man who has come to take their beloved away from them."

Crewe of the Archangel

" Hate?....It is a very strong word to use and why do you say as you do? I am not understanding your meaning of "beloved" and "away"..."

The expressive olive pools focused intensely on his own in query.

Sterling sat back up again. It would be easy for him to explain how the other members of her clan idolized her... and he would have told her just that but her lumping of "away" into the equation, suddenly chilled him to the bone. He removed the quilt from his legs and sat up, pulling the covering into place about his shoulders as he tried not to shiver. The more he thought how to explain the term "away" the more cold with fear he became and not the fire nor any amount of rugs could remedy his discomfort. "Chere... I.. I thought that, once we were wed .." he swallowed hard trying to form the words which he believed if he did not speak would no longer be in question. "I thought when it were safe, ye would sail with me... like Skittles... Mistress March does with her husband."

Crewe of the Archangel

The fear of blue water spurred her heart to gallop, and Aurore worked hard to keep further evidence of the fact from rising to her face. Concentrating on the pace of her breathing, she said nothing at first then spoke with simplicity.

"When it is safe?...."

"What?" Sterling looked at her. He blinked, his expression as if he were unfamiliar with her, as one he had never met before, his mind now flustered by the thought that Aurore had suddenly changed her mind. “Oh…safe…” he answered himself slowly. “Yes safe… I would not bring ye when I know things would not be safe. When Morgan sails I would leave ye here safe with yer brother… Mistress March and Sunfish, I would … provide lodging in the Port .. Even though they have never taken such opportunity. They sail with Andrew at all times. But certain expeditions one knows will prove to be too dangerous to bring ye with me. But I had ... thought...hoped..” he shook his head. "My apologies... I have been mistaken."

Crewe of the Archangel

She looked away, knowing she had disappointed him and not completely understanding why. Aurore centered her attention to the greedy licks of flame on wooden offerings.

"There were storms when we crossed over..." her voice a faint whisper. "Storms as I have never witnessed before and nowhere to find shelter...Just miles of nothing as far as the eye could see..."

"I ..um.. understand Lady," he whispered.

He wished he could take her, sit her on his knee and with a hug and a good laugh, tell her she was being silly and that her worries were unfounded. But he could not…for it would be the gravest of lies…. he could easily envision such storms of which she spoke and knew all too well the sea could be an indifferent killer one minute and then the next, the most beautiful and harmless of all God’s splendors.

And yet, he had never desired to be one of so many ship’s captains that were happy to run off willingly, gladly leaving behind their wives. Mayhaps never to see them again. So instead he sat, his body rocking ever so slightly in time to the hard pounding of his heart within his chest, quilt clutched tightly about his form. He was relieved when Aurore continued to look away into the growing fire and not at him and yet he now felt the necessity of shielding his eyes from her in case she did. He had never felt so cold.

Crewe of the Archangel

It was a terrifying thing that he asked of her, so forgien to all she knew or grown to know. Within the tribes, even when one married, there was contact with family and the support of other tribes during hard times...but at sea. Aurore shuddered unconsciously as the crossing came to mind again and the stillness of the room became closterphobic in bearing.

Land is what she knew, and its' ways were ingrained by the passing of generations without numbering. But also, tradition was passed on and it held its' rights as strongly as it had with conception. Within the dictates, one came to the forefront which cleared her mind and she spoke again in low tones.

"Roma stay at their husband's side...regardless of what life and fate place in their path. And I shall do as all others have done before me...That is Tradition...That is the Way."

Sterling stood quietly, slipping into sodden shoes than still damp coat. She watched him, his hands trembling... almost... unnoticably. He gathered the remainder of his clothing and gear before he leaned down and kissed Aurore on the soft curls of her hair. His touch was tender yet full of fear and longing for something he no longer believed he had.

"I am not yer husband yet, Lady," he whispered, the words nearly dying as he spoke them. "Perchance that is best... I could never ask ye to do something that would cause you so much anquish and grief."

He straightened and would not look at her. "Mayhaps you should, instead, spend this evening in thought about what was to take place. If," he faltered horribly, lifting his chin as he tried to keep tears in check. "If you can tell me, you can truly live such a life as I have asked you to share with me, because that is what ye desire in your heart and not because those, that have gone before you have done so, then we still have the church tomorrow. I shall leave you now and let you think. "

He retreated, moving quickly through the back entrance. He did not go far before his stomach turned and he was forced to duck behind an old fence to vomit. Surely he could easily blame the port...

Crewe of the Archangel

Sabastian pursed his lips in thought to her words. Circling around to stand behind, he leanded forward over her shoulder to right ear.

"Then which is it? Barter or sell and what is  up for the offering?" he whispered, then backed away, but not before light touch placed errant copper curl in check behind choosen ear.

I felt the touch and stiffened, even as the sensation ran through my system like lightning. I would not be toyed with, like some mouse. I turned to face him. He watched me, gageing the effect his caress had made. Its effect was anger.

"I came here to make a business arrangement, not have a flirtation. I am not some damsel come to barter her mother's pearls to pay off a foolish gambling debt. I have a shipload of arms and powder taken from a French brig a month ago. I need provisions. If you want the one and can provide the other, then we can continue this meeting. If not, well then, we have nothing more to discuss."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

The young woman's self assuredness was impressive. Ransom had successfully handled the tests set afore her, and in turn, called the lay of the field. Sabastian responded to challenge with wry chuckle and another bow of shallower measure.

" Tres vien, cherie...Such a cargo must have you feeling slightly apprehensive, non? Those in stature of authoritive means might be very willing to take such into possession for themselves...and the vessel, as well."

He moved around her, resuming alabaster throne and replacing plumed crown. Pulling one booted foot to rest on smooth plane, Beggar Prince draped an arm over knee support and measured Ransom from the shadow cast by wide brim.

"Perhaps I might consider taking on such a risk, but only if said objects were given survey first...Then, perhaps, we might consider barter."

When done, he moved sluggishly, hugging hard to the fence for crutch, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. He had lost his things, wet garments now floating on a sea of mud, sucked down into the black sewage that flowed along the borders of the neglected street behind the Bookseller‘s. He felt his stomach turn again and he fell to his hands and knees, cursing himself for trying to be so selfless.

Any other man would have taken her, married her if he had taken that fancy to such an extent and kept her as he pleased. She would have been told where and when she was to be expected, how to behave, what she could and could not have…He could even beat her almost to death and the law would look the other way.

And yet it was for tradition that he had given her the chance to escape the union he still wanted so desperately to make. Not his, but hers. Had she done everything up until now out of tradition? Were the ways of her people so very important? He did not think he could ever bear the mask she hid behind. Did she not have the least feeling for him?

Crewe of the Archangel

Childermass leaned against second archway that gave access to the alleyway. No movement was made when charge made forward pitch, no effort to retrieve what floated down the black river to destinations unknown. Crossing arms over chest, Seth regarded Sterling with cassual interest, unbeknownst to the other until spoken word disrupted the area's odd rhythem of elemental sway.

"Feelin' better now?"

Sterling startled slightly but hardly enough to cause him to turn. Instead he sat down and leaned back against the fence, his hands drooping from upturned knees.

"Are ye still there? By now, one would think, ye would have given up," Sterling sighed. Pulling up the hem of his shirt he thought to clean his face with it then realized it was not his own. He allowed the garment to fall back into place, fishing in his pocket for a handkerchief. He spit on the ground close by trying to clear his mouth.

"As to yer question.... no," he replied his voice falling to a whisper. "God, I am a wretch."

Fingertips quickly sought out linen square which was tugged from front deep recesses. Handkerchief was unfolded and quickly recognized as hers. With a groan, Sterling leaned forward, enveloping knees with his arms as he drew his legs in close to his chest. He no longer cared what anyone thought...

Crewe of the Archangel

"Perhaps I might consider taking on such a risk, but only if said objects were given survey first...Then,  perhaps, we might consider barter."

It was obvious that I had passed some test, for his demeanor changed. The mocking look was gone. Inwardly, I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Yes, the cargo has made me apprehensive. I do not like the fact that my ship is a floating bomb."

I stood looking down at him, enjoying, despite my reserve, the graceful set of shoulder and leg. "And, I would not expect you to merely take my word that the cargo is what I claim. At this time, for security purposes you can well understand, the Rakehell is anchored out in the harbor. If you wish an inspection, you can return to the wharves with me, and my men will row us to the ship. If this evening is not to your liking, we can arrange another time. But it must be soon, or the opportunity may be lost. My crew is small. If anyone in authority attempts to commandeer the Rakehell, then I will take her to sea to avoid such, and pitch that damnable cargo over the side."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"Inspection could be done this eve....But give me reason to trust you in regarding passage to and from the vessel in question...to give you such advantage over mine well being is rather fool hardy, would you not agree?"

Sabastian regained his feet, measuring her visually once again," How shall we strike a bargin of trust in this situation?" The impish smile returned, "How shall we seal the deal of good faith, eh Mademoisselle?"

Sterling startled slightly but hardly enough to cause him to turn.  Instead he sat down and leaned back against the fence, his hands drooping from upturned knees. 

"Are ye still there? By now, one would think, ye would have given up," Sterling sighed.  Pulling up the hem of his shirt he thought to clean his face with it then realized it was not his own.  He allowed the garment to fall back into place, fishing in his pocket for a handkerchief.  He spit on the ground close by trying to clear his mouth.

"As to yer question.... no," he replied his voice falling to a whisper.  "God, I am a wretch." 

Fingertips quickly sought out linen square which was tugged from front deep recesses.  Handkerchief was unfolded and quickly recognized as hers.  With a groan, Sterling leaned forward, enveloping knees with his arms as he drew his legs in close to his chest.  He no longer cared what anyone thought...

Childermass closed the distance, reaching down to grasp the collar of Sterling's coat and hauled him to his feet. "I suggest we find shelter from this wet, somethin' warm to drink, an' then ye shall sit an' listen....an' I shall talk."

Seth turned away, passing through the archway then turned left.

Sterling had no choice but to keep in step, his collar still gripped fiercly in Childermass' strong talons.

"For pity's sake, slow down. I'm coming as fast as I can," Sterling insisted.

Crewe of the Archangel