Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Sabastian slipped from mount support, landing softly and closing the distance betwixt. Pistol was pushed away as if waving off a knat and he eyed her closely, nary half a pace laying as boundry.

"We are not here to discuss matters of the past, Mademoiselle. If you wish to deal, then say so...If not, I shall kindly bid you adieu."

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met his dark, wolfish gaze without flinching. "So, it was you, then." I took a step back, uncocked the pistol and put it back in my belt. "Yes, let's deal...Manouche. I have powder, shot, and muskets. What have you got to buy them with?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

"You will stay here with me. Monsuier Lambert will go with your man aboard to inspect what is on the Block. With his safe return here ashore...we will discuss price. This or nothing, Mademoiselle."

Sabastian returned to equine proximity and waited her decision.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"You think you need protection against one woman? I'm flattered. Alright, the man with the boat is Africa. He'll row Lambert to the Rakehell."

"Captain, I don think dat a good..."

"Just do it, Africa. I want this transaction over and done with."

I approached Sebastian. "Truly, I am sorry for your lover. If I had known, I may not have bothered to save the man. I held him only to see what might be gained by it. As it turned out, I gained nothing but a bloody handerchief, as I gave the Englishman here Killingsworth's pistol. So you see, I received poor recompense for my trouble."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Dark eyes scrutinized her sincerity closely for a beat of time then looked away to where Childermass stood silently, "Merci, Seth...But it appears la fille cares not for your company. Return to the others, S'il vous plait."

Christophe went to where the launch awaited, giving Ransom a quick sidelong glance as she was passed. The small craft was pushed back into natural element, and turned to regain bearing for larger kindred.

Sabastian removed chapeau, hanging it loosely on 'buss stock then leaned on Noir's side, "There is no need to discuss the matter further and you owe me no sympathies, Mademoiselle."

While I watched Africa row Lambert to the ship, I said, "You're right, Sebastian, I don't owe you a bloody thing. I was just trying to be civil. If you prefer rudeness, I can provide that as well."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Sabastian's jawline tightened at her verbose and deep breath was taken to pace his thinking. "Tres vien, Petit...But it is truly a pity that a mouth, shaped by lips of such sensual nature, should spout anything of ill wording or mannerisms."

I turned to face him. "And I, sir, think it a shame that a voice of such mellow grace could order a man branded. We both have our faults, Sebastian, it is the way of things."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"I gave no such order, there was no need...Capitaine. I am certain that you are not as pure as driven snow in regard to actions of violence. I am further certain, that the cargo on your vessel was not just handed over as a gracious gift."

I laughed. "Hardly. No, I am no virtuous maid, I admit. Otherwise I would be snug in my husband's bed, and not on some remote beach, making deals with an arrogant ... Manouche."

My voice lowered, and was filled with the relief I felt at his admittance that he had not given the order to brand Killingsworth. "I'm glad you did not order that branding. I don't know why it should make a difference, but it does. I like you better that you did not."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

He stepped close, leaning in slightly as voice dropped to silkened tincture, "So my stature is elevated, non?" Moving around to stand just behind Ransom's left shoulder, Sabastian continued, "Come now, Petit...I cannot be raised too high in your evaluations. Did your dear parents never tell to not trust folk of my ilk?"

The timbre of his voice was soothing as warm honey. I smiled. "Oh yes. My father ran your kind off our land at least three times that I know of. I was told you stole babies, raped women, and sold spavined horses."

I turned to face him, our bodies only inches apart. "My father was not an intellegent man."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"We regard children to be a precious gift of the future, but have no craving to add from without those which are not our own. Violer unne femme? Mademoiselle, why would one be interested in taking what should be given freely? Such would lack passion and sensual qualities, rather a waste of time and energy." He laughed quietly to the thought. "And I would never release an ailing animal into the keeping of another of which I have no aquaint. It seems to me that in the long run, it would be the horse and not the buyer that would suffer greater injustice."

He leaned in a fraction, leveling eye to eye, "And does the daughter of said man, hold the same opinions?"

Every fiber in my being wanted to kiss that man. Common sense told me it would be a disaster.

"You are the first I've met," I whispered. "I must go by your example, before I venture an opinion."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

One brow raised slightly, "Indeed...And thus far, what is your opinion, Petit? Am I what your Father warned you against?" Sabastian trapped her eyes with his own, mischievous smile tugging the corners of his mouth.

I met the dark eyes and returned the smile. "Possibly, but am I not the very thing your people tell you to avoid?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

"I have never done well with heeding the advice of mine elders...." he leaned into where the delicate curve of her earlobe was almost exposed. "And judging from what finds us here...you do not either."

With his breath warm on my cheek, I replied, "I think elders only give such advice out of jealousy. We have what they are too timid to take or risk." I tilted my head a fraction. "Do you not agree...Manouche?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Sabastian drew back, returning to full heigth, "Perhaps, but I cannot speak for the ways of the Gadje."

Momentarily, his attention focused to the vessel moored in near distance then returned to her, "What manner of trade would you prefer, Mademoiselle?"

His retreat was like a slap. Anger flared. It had been a game, after all. With no regard to the venom which tainted my voice, I replied. " Gold or goods. Your choice."

I retreated to the shore, arms crossed, and waited for Africa to return our guest to his compatriots.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Sabastian watched after slightly bemused to her reaction, but remained where he stood.

"Mademoiselle, it is your choice to make. Either can be obtained, I am sure."

Shaking his head, Sabastian crossed the expanse of sand to where Ransom had taken post. Nearing, he allowed a four pace seperation as a proper placement and regarded her steely continence. Again he addressed her in soothing tone, "It is hard to speak, in a manner that would not raise the dead, if you are so far away. "

"Why can the Mah-lee-nah not use 'er guns, but mus' stay afloat?  'Twould b' easier t' sink 'er no?"  The Spaniard shifted in his seat with his gaze never changing.  "'ow many guns would ye say on 'er now Spaniard?" I asked the man sitting before us.

“She will do no one any good at the bottom of the sea, Sir. La Maligna sails, or we have no more business. As to her guns, she is a full war galleon, 40 cannon strong. Quite a formidable foe unless misfortunate should befall her.”

Ulises leaned forward closing the little space between himself and his companions. His voice dropped; the rough rasp barely audible even in the quiet inn. A sly smile crept into the corners of the Capitán’s eyes.

“Her cargo may also suffer a similar fate. Who is to say what the Dane took, yes.”

He could feel the hand of greed gripping the men in front of him at the thought of additional spoils. Ulises sat back from the tight circle, his onyx eyes shifting from one to the other, the glitter of triumph behind the dark pupils.

“Do we have an agreement, gentlemen?”

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Sabastian watched after slightly bemused to her reaction, but remained where he stood.

"Mademoiselle, it is your choice to make. Either can be obtained, I am sure."

Shaking his head, Sabastian crossed the expanse of sand to where Ransom had taken post. Nearing, he allowed a four pace seperation as a proper placement and regarded her steely continence. Again he addressed her in soothing tone, "It is hard to speak, in a manner that would not raise the dead, if you are so far away. "

I stood still for a moment, watching the Rakehell rock gently in the swells. I took a deep breath, lifted my chin, and turned to face him, my voice calm.

"Ah, Sebastian, with that voice you could charm the very stars from the heavens, their brilliance blinding. But for one in my profession, especially for one of my sex, running blind is fatal. I have had men come courting who saw only my father's wealth, not me. I spent two years a prisoner on an Italian privateer, because my father did not think my ransom worth paying. I became a very good sailor, and I learned to deal with the lowliest of men. I have been beaten, shot at, stabbed, and taken against my will...but I have survived. My instincts have kept me alive. And my instincts tell me, Sir, that under the peacock's vain plumage you wear, there hides a deadly hawk. I would have you know...Manouche...I am not a sparrow of easy taking."

I waited a beat, then said, "As to payment for the cargo, I would prefer two thirds in provisions and the other third in coin. There is also a very fine French cannon collecting dust in a stable by the docks. That is yours as well. Is this agreeable to you?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Sabastian offered courtly bow," As you wish, Capitaine. What you request seems of no greatened burden for me to fullfill. The bargin is struck, now we have but to set the parameters of said payments."

Returning to waiting mount, he regained former seating, worn chapeau was replaced as crown and focus trained on sea vessel riding anchor.

I watched him walk away and remount the black horse. My confession had been misunderstood. I had hoped for something more, but what I wasn't exactly sure. I had thought...hoped...that for once I had found someone who did not require a sparrow. It appeared I was mistaken. I should have known better, and hard as any rap on the knuckles by tutor to remind me, it was a mistake that would not be repeated.

So, with a hollow sense of something lost before it was found, I replied. "Don't you wish to wait for Mr. Lambert to return, before you agree to anything?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg