Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

It was early dawn and Lilith sat at her large mahogany desk scanning over nautical charts and maps trying to figure out how much further Port Royal was. She knew before long the winter storms would come and the idea of staying the winter in Port Royal seemed enjoyable.

Yes, she found it hard to keep her mind on her work. The images in her mind kept racing back to the night before. The Dutch sloop a flame and sinking into the ocean was the last image she remembered before nodding off.

At first, she was happy with the unexpected windfall, but soon her mind drifted back to the reason why she was on this journey. There, in a small wooden box was a letter. The importance of the letter must be great or so she was told by the solicitor who arranged its’ passage. She was happy to take the money for it, yet she would have to deliver it to a man whom she has never met, but whom she would have to trust. This made Lilith feel very uncomfortable. She was not in the habit of trusting any man.

Suddenly she felt something strike her back. It was a light blow and as she turned her head, she noticed that it was her pet monkey, Satan. "Morning Satan." She said petting his head. "Here, you're up early too? Couldn't sleep either? How’s about some breakfast?" Satan quickly jumped from her shoulder and sat down on her desk. "She handed him a fig or two which he took willingly. "Now don't spit it out this time. I know you don't care for the seeds." She said straightening his jacket. Ugh...that thing still alive?!" said Twiggs as he entered her cabin.

“Why do you hate them so? They are intelligent and entertaining. Much more so than the larger ones that help me run my ship!”

"As pleasant as always, eh Lilith?" said Twiggs, sitting down gingerly on a chair next to her desk. He winced. He was showing his age, thought Lilith. She knew that the fighting from the night before left him battered and bruised. As Twiggs let out a sigh, he watched Lilith attend to Satan. "As for the monkeys, they are ugly little creatures, who'd as soon piss on you than love you. Give me a good dog any day!"

Lilith shook her head and laughed then quickly turned to the small wooden box to lock up the letter once more. “Any word of land, Twiggs?” Her first mate looked up at her. Twiggs nodded his head as he scratched his chin. “Aye, in an hour’s time we should be in port soon enough.”

Lilith - Commander of The Tartarus

"God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tartarus, delivered them into pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgement."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lading site in Kingston had suffered greatly with the storm's game of jacks; demanding alternate local to be selected. Far in the opposite direction, past the household now held in possession by he known as Sterling, wagons and horses waited in hushed diligence for sweep driven comrades. The evening air was pregnant with earthy scents and balmy weight; liquid salt kissed the shoreline and retreated like bashful lover.

Mounted cluster chose higher ground to observe with calculated scrutiny, so much as generals judging the field of battle in some far off valley. Words were few at best, to be exchanged by male Devareauxs, not uncommon under the present situation; though there lay an added tension humming just below surface.

In near distance, a shuttered lamp flashed briefly then dissipated, signaling Captain's crossing with example of hold's offering. Andre' shifted in seating, dark eyes intent on the area ahead where vessel lay offshore. Gentleman in high circles champed with heightened anticipation to what would be proffered at this night's work. Modyford, himself, had sent secretive query regarding French Brandy arrival...And the Governor was always first to receive the best Le Cour had to offer. These were the shrewd workings of business; the payoffs, the alias', the alibis, the iron clad protection of the Crown...The things nobody saw.

Mount was spurred forward as craft was drawn to the sediments of landfall. Elder's expression almost hinted secretive smile with knowledge that brandy was not the only thing contained on yon ship delighting Jamaica's local ruler. Before the demise of this night, Modyford's hushed desires would be answered.

Devon Burke caught hinted smile as Andre' passed, and on some deep inner level, it brought winter to his soul.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Reiley stood up leaving the all too uncomfortable chair. Looking about the darkened room he spotted the second chair and went to fetch it. Grabbing a hold of it, he dragged it across the room to attempt making his sleeping arrangements all the better.

“Damnation,” Sterling groused from the bed. “Will you be quiet!”

“Sorry,” Reiley mumbled.

Sterling sat up, slamming one hand against the bedclothes. “Bloody hell how is anyone supposed to sleep with all this noise!”

“This place was your choice!” the doctor snapped. “I might remind you.”

“Bloody impossible!”

Reaching into his pocket, Reiley withdrew his knife. Opening it, he it waved toward his patient.

“And what do ye intend to do with that?” Sterling asked.

“Oh if I could only tell you what I would like to do with it! Good God, man, the only thing impossible here is you. Now lay back down and close your eyes, before I cut open that mattress you’ve got and take some of the cotton and stuff it in your ears!” the doctor warned.

“Mind yer place, sir,” Sterling warned in return.

“Mind yours! I’m the doctor here and tis about time you did as you as I said!” He made his way over to the bed and the unruly patient. The knife was refolded and returned to its resting place as Reiley opted instead for another dose of laudanum.

“You just gave me some of that an hour ago,” Sterling continued to argue. He shifted about to stare at the wall behind him as the thumping commenced once more. “Bloody hell not again!”

“Drink this, before I hold your nose and force it down your gullet!” Reiley said holding out the glass. “Another will do you no harm, it might even give me some peace.”

Sterling looked back at the man beside him, his expression none too pleasing.

“You are trying my…”

“Shut up and drink!” Reiley interrupted, shoving the glass under the captain’s nose. After a minute Sterling snatched the glass and downed it. Handing the empty glass back, he glared back at the doctor.

“Happy?”

“Not yet,” Reiley said, placing the glass back upon the night table. Sterling watched as the doctor rolled up his sleeves.

“What now?” he asked, his annoyance all too obvious in his tone.

“Close your eyes,” Reiley said.

Sterling looked at his companion, actually amazed by his request.

“Just do as your told for once!” Reiley shouted.

Taken aback, Sterling did as he was instructed and Reiley hauled off, cold cocking him hard against the jaw. As the stars quickly turned to blackness, patient flopped back against the pillows, and a now rather exuberant doctor finally breathed a sigh of relief.

“Good,” Reiley muttered, pulling the covers back into place over the captain. “If it works for you, it damn well suits me well enough.” He chuckled for a minute then went back to forming a bed for himself from the two chairs.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

As Abbi's door flew open, both young and old were caught by surprise.

“Well now,” announced the young hoodlum as he pompously entered the kitchen. “I think my lads and me will be have some breakfast!”

As Bess ran to the other door, she was suddenly caught in a bear hung by a fat, and smelly troll of a man.

“There now dearie!” Smiled the troll, as he snuggled his unshaven chin into her cheek. “Don’t be leaving so soon!”

The three young hoodlums were shabbily dressed and armed with a haphazard assortment of cudgel and blade.

“So let’s have it old mum!” smiled the tough. “Food first…”

“Then maybe some dessert!” added the troll, as he again snuggled into young Bess.

Bess reared back in disgust as the troll continued his lectures pursuits of her. “Here, let her be!” Cried out Abbi as she quickly stood from her chair. “If it is food you wish, I shall gladly bring it to thee. Please, I beg you. Do not harm her. She is nothing more than a child.”

The troll held tight to Bess and he watched Abbi plead her demands. “Very well,” the troll said. He paused for a moment then leaned in close and licked her cheek. “I can wait for me dessert.” Then he released Bess tossing her over towards Abbi.

Bess looked horrified as the three men took over the room tossing items back and forth as if they were looking for something of importance. Bess inched her way over to Abbi slowly as if to make sure she did nothing to draw her attention. Abbi quickly thrusted a pitcher into Bess’ hands. “Pour them a drink and make sure they have bread and cheese. I will bring the meat out soon enough.” As she watched Abbi walk towards the fire she then saw the old woman slip something into her apron. It was then one of the younger boys shouted. “Here! What’s this?”

Bessbeingcalledout.jpg

Bess Hagarty - Indentured Servant

“You’d best be on your way lad.” Sneered the one-eyed man, as he slid open his jacket to reveal a pistol clipped to his belt. “There’s nothing for you here!”

From atop of his horse, young Jacob Davis could hear the hasty rummaging from inside the cottage. He could feel his face redden and his eyes began to well up from the anger restrained at the thought of harm being done to those he had come to love.

Then as he casually wrapped his hand around the weapon’s grip, Davis slowly shook his head as he came to the realization of what was about to happen.

“I’m afraid sir," Spoke Davis, his words slightly stammering as he leaned forward in the saddle and met the gaze of the one-eyed man. "You’ve made a fatal mistake...”

Trilby peered over the wall. "Who, that old bessom?" He pointed to the hatted woman.

With a resigned sigh, I nodded. "That old bessom happens to be my aunt."

I walked to the table, picked up my goblet of port, and swallowed it down.

Trilby watched me with interest. "I take it yea didn't expect tae find family in Port Royal."

"I haven't seen any of my family for over seven years. I knew my aunt had a sugar plantation, but had no idea where it was. It's just my bloody bad luck it happens to be on Jamaica."

Trilby shrugged. "So ignore the woman. She doesn't ken you're here."

I held up the folded letter. "Oh, but she does. I received this note from her this morning. She says we need to meet, as she has thing to discuss. God only knows what she's on about."

"Only one way tae find out."

I poured more port. "The woman is a varago and has more money than Croesis. Her husband is a Duke, for God's sake." I drank more port. "I wonder how the old cow found out I was here?"

Trilby held up his glass in salute. "Sae, her husband's a Duke, eh? Am I tae assume that makes you a Lady something-or-other?"

I glared at him. "I prefer the "other" for the time being." I stuffed the letter back into my pocket. "It's getting late. I'd better head over to the Royal Grace and see what she wants. If I don't, she'll have the Governor arrest me."

With a last gulp of port, I jogged down the stairs, and exited Trilby's front door, my mind scrambling as to how I was going to deal with Aunt Violet.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Cargo approved, the Machine began steadfast rhythm of hoist and lower; block and tackle adding instrumental accompaniment to the percussion of labors grunt and call. Boom swayed its' back and forth travel as rope clutched greedily oaken wards. Longboat regatta played baton relay under tropical night skies; large sweeps dipping deep aqueous medium to propel awaiting hoist mimic on land. Wagon parade moved in steady stream of horseshoe curvature and somewhere hidden within local flora and night bird serenaded the hint of Luna shrouded in gossamer culimus.

Eldest removed himself from Captain's company, focus intent on the progress of sea to land. Further down beach head length, Christophe and Beggar Dauphin observed transfer of livelihood from launch to wagon in stoic vigil. Familiar companion blunderbuss render rested in comfortable repose over Frenchman's thighs, slate hued eyes watching on with raptor's scrutiny. In reflective poise, likened thunder lay near at hand slung in leather support, nudging Rom kneecap with mount's shift of footing.

Somewhere betwixt and between Le Cour's Royalty, a scuffle erupted involving man of the Sea and boy of the Land. Weathered Jack Tar, impatient with negotiating foot space with young Jason, offered harsh words and even harsher cuffing....The Machine screeched to halt as flash of powder and ball roar tore the tranquil proximity. Hibernating muzzle smoked in bark's aftermath, still leveled in Beggar Prince's support. Acrid waft intertwined with moisture laden air as Offender and one of his brethren crumpled to the sand's water hardened surface.

Captain strode to where Andre' remained mounted, opening mouth to protest only to be met with single unseeing 'lock eye. Elder said nothing, armament spoke in his stead. Seaman brought hands up slowly, eyes flicking between pistol and possessor; unconscious step in reverse taken. Hinted smile played Andre's lips as horse was eased forward and another step was taken in retreat by acquired target.

"You have something you wish to impart, Capitaine?" Verbose was a mixture of challenge and amusement.

Again the eyes traded off between muzzle and mounted man, response riddled with nervous facets, "No, Mister Devareaux..."

"Tres bien, Capitaine. It would be most unfortunate if you were to make decisions as poorly as those who follow you..."

The Other swallowed hard, "Yes, Mister Devareaux."

"I knew you were a reasonable man if such were the order of the day."

Mount was turned, former placement was taken and the Machine resumed its' pace.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Early the following morning Hazzards arrived instead with breakfast basket in tow. A gentle rap was given to the chamber door and he stood and waited until a red eyed Reiley poked his face through the crack made when it was finally set ajar.

The doctor blinked when he saw the second lieutenant.

“Rough nigh?” Hazzards asked, knowing all too well the answer.

Reiley pulled open the door the rest of the way then slipped out into the hall, closing it behind him.

“He’s just gone off to sleep again about twenty minutes ago. He’s had a bad night of it,” Reiley indicated. He yawned and gave the growth on his chin a once over with his fingernails. “A right pain in the arse he can be.”

“Aye that’s the captain when it comes to himself and what’s his,” Hazzards agreed. “How bad?”

“Well tell me, how badly has he been in the past with what ever this is that ails him?” the doctor asked. He looked at Hazzards then to the basket still hooked to the other man’s arm. Hazzards held his arm forward and the doctor began rummaging beneath the basket’s linen cover.

“Thought we’d lost him a number of times in the past, but some how he always pulls through it until it fancies taking a hold of him again. Wager I would, that Mr. March has done told ye already that the big wigs in London have no real idea what is wrong with him. I think he’s tired of being poked and prodded, handled and plied with every nasty concoction they can dream up. Does well enough, he does, at sea, if things be well for us, but as soon as he sets foot upon land, the trouble always seems to start and then so does it.”

“Too much drink?” Reiley asked, pulling one of Skittles’ almond cakes from the basket.

“Couldn’t say,” Hazzards answered. “Seems he and Mr. March have a good drinking bout or two, any ways often enough, whilst we’re working. On land though seems the captain drinks for different reasons. I know he’ll drink to ease the headaches and when the other pain cuts at him. Told me once he thought he knew what twere like for a deer to be butchered because of it. He be not too fond of the laudanum as a means of helping him through the rougher parts… or the purges… they had him vomiting up blood the last time, they did.”

Reiley sighed. “Did that on his own last night. Couldn’t talk after a while.”

The second officer nodded. “He’s been like that afore as well. Between that and the cough, when it gets its worst, we feared it was the consumption at first. Could barely talk for nigh on a fortnight once, and his voice always drops a bit more each time he gets passed it. I don’t know what to be telling ye doctor, but go easy on him. It laid him low once for five months. It were a native woman in the colonies, between her herbs and being able to get him fresh venison, with Skittles’ simple cooking, seemed to do him a world of good. Sometimes I reckon the man just needs to give himself a rest, but,” he shrugged his shoulders. “Business has been poor as of late and I know that is gnawing at him. You’ve seen him since he landed here, from one minute to the next he’s gotten himself into nothing but trouble, and that McKinney woman, God bless her, always manages to push him in the wrong direction. Maybe now that he’s married again… Tess was good for him she were.”

“I wish I could get him to go home instead of staying in this noisy place,” Reiley said around a mouthful of cake. To emphasize his comment, he slammed his fist hard against the wall to the next room. “I am certain that Aurore and her people would see that he at least gets the rest he needs.”

Hazzards disagreed. “Ye go home and tell yer new bride that yer dying, doctor. No easy task I would wager. No more than keeping the rest of the crew in the dark. He be better off here.”

The two men looked down the hall as the door to the adjoining room opened and the tall dark haired stranger that had helped March the day before, peered out. He looked toward the doctor and the lieutenant. Reiley’s eyes narrowed ever so slightly.

“Oh sorry mate! Didn’t wake you did I?” the doctor asked innocently.

Pinon bolted upright in bed as shot erupted. "Come back to sleep, luv, tis too early to be up and about already," the young girl cooed, pulling the dislodged covers back into place. Pinon looked hastely about the room trying to figure out where the sound had come from then made his way to the door and looked out.

He looked toward the doctor and the lieutenant. Reiley’s eyes narrowed ever so slightly.

“Oh sorry mate! Didn’t wake you did I?” the doctor asked innocently.

"Son of a bitch!" Pinon exclaimed then reentered his room, slamming the door behind him.

"Son of a bitch!" Pinon exclaimed then reentered his room, slamming the door behind him.

"Bloody hell," Reiley remarked and ducked back in his own room. Sterling was still asleep, finally

worn out from the past day's discomforts. Reiley placed the basket Hazzards had brought on the night table beside the captain's bed then grabbed his coat and exited back out into the hall locking the door behind him.

"Care to join me in a more substantial breakfast?" the doctor asked. "I believe the captain will not be needing our company for at least a hour or so."

"Breakfast it is then," the second officer agreed and followed the doctor downstairs to the tavern.

When Lady Violet and her servants reentered the commn room of the Royal Grace Inn, she was surprised to be greeted by Mr. Kennedy, shaking his head and tisking like an old woman.

"Your Ladyship, I cannon stress strongly enough how unsafe it is for you to walk about Port Royal without a gentleman to accompany you. All manner of thugs and ruffians loiter in front of the taverns. You are not safe."

Lady Violet waved a gloved hand. "While I admire your concern, Mr. Kennedy, I do wish you would not prattle on like a wet-nurse. I am perfectly capable of traversing the streets of Port Royal, and as you observe, have come to no harm."

"None the less, I cannot but think that Lord Cunningham would not approve."

"I dare say he wouldn't, but then, he's not here at the moment, is he?" Lady Violet turned her iron-grey gaze on Mr. Spindlethorpe, who had the misfortune to be in the common room at that moment. "Has anyone called for me this afternoon?"

Mr. Spindlethorpe bowed referentially, hands folded as if in prayer. "I am devastated to say, no, Your Ladyship, no one has called for you at any time since you departed the Royal Grace for your sojourn about town."

"Stubborn child," Lady Violet mumbled.

Mr. Kennedy's brows rose. "Were you expecting someone?"

"I had hoped...ah well, never mind. I hope you are here, Mr. Kennedy, to inform me that the coach from Trade Winds has finally arrived."

"It is my very great pleasure to do just that. We can leave in the morning, after you have broken your fast."

"Excellent!" Lady Violet exclaimed, then she, with Sugar asleep in the crook of her arm, and her small troop headed up the stairs to her room, Mr. Kennedy following attentively.

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

"Be that Miss Lilly I hear at th' door, Mr March?" MacCraige stated as he rose from his chair and stood behind the mate of the 'Angel'. "Well, let her in man" he stated with a smile noting the other man's discomfort. "No point in bein' uncivil," he laughed.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

“I’m afraid sir," Spoke Davis, his words slightly stammering as he leaned forward in the saddle and met the gaze of the one-eyed man. "You’ve made a fatal mistake...”

Both the women glanced over at the young man as he held up Abbi’s bible. “Here, you tell me that old man read the Holy Book?”

Bess watched Abbi’s face drain of it’s’ color when he tossed it over to the other young man. “Here, show some respect!” yelled Abbi as she forward to the hearth.

It was then the Bible slipped from the young man’s hands and the book fell open upon the floor.

“There it is!" Shouted the old troll as he quickly bent over and picked up a key which was hidden inside the book.

“Your husband wasn’t cleaver enough, Abbi. He done us out of a good deal of wealth and died before we could antee it up. Now we’ll be the riches men upon this island!” Laughter from the three of them filled the room. “Now, you are gon’a tell us what this key opens and where the treasure is, aren’t you?” Abbi could only nod her reply.

Bess could only watch. It was then she saw Abbi slowly move towards the large caldron that was on the fire. “Quickly Bess, serve the men as I said.” With a nod of her head, Abbi pointed towards the table.

“Come and sit.” Shouted Bess as she tried to take command of the room. “The meal shall be done shortly. I have ale for you all.” The men stopped their destructive behavior and took a seat at the table.

As Bess served the men, Abbi quickly brought over the bread and cheese. “Now, would anyone like anything else?” Bess asked as she quickly looked about the table. Abbi’s hand drove into the pocket of her apron, a knife hidden within.

As the men quickly indulged themselves in their drinks, Bess smiled cheerfully. “Good.” She said with a nod, she quickly brought down the pitcher upon the head of the old troll. “That’s for not saying thank you!”

Bessbeingcalledout.jpg

Bess Hagarty - Indentured Servant

"Be that Miss Lilly I hear at th' door, Mr March?" MacCraige stated as he rose from his chair and stood behind the mate of the 'Angel'. "Well, let her in man" he stated with a smile noting the other man's discomfort. "No point in bein' uncivil," he laughed.

"Beggin yer pardon Captain MacCraige, but I be not inviting no one into the Captain's quarters without his permission, least of all his ex-mistress." March glanced over his shoulder at the other man. "Captain Sterling be married now and twould be the wise thing to put as much distance betwixt him and Mistress McKinney as possible. He might actually manage to stay married if it we did so."

Pinon listened as heavy shoes retreated downward then hastily began to dress. “OUT!” he shouted at the girl. “Get your clothes and off with you!” Time was of the essence.

“But,” the young woman started, sitting up in bed. “Tis early yet.”

“Your time is up. Take your things and go now. I have more than sampled your charms and do not see the need nor desire to renew our acquaintance in such matters. Now hurry, I do not want to find you here when I return!” Pinon roared, as he pulled his waistcoat on and hurried from the room.

The lock was a simple device to pick and Pinon quickly found himself inside the room next to his own. He had heard enough of the loud discussions of the previous night to figure out who his next door neighbor was and now seemed the perfect time to be exactly where he was. The room was still dark enough, the captain’s companion obviously having gone to the trouble of drawing the plain curtains closed and so it took him a moment or two to figure out his bearings. It was not time wasted. As he crept cautiously to inspect the figure in the bed, he was delighted to find it truly was the one and the same, John Sterling. Quietly he cast his wandering eyes over the vials and doctor’s paraphernalia that littered the table besides the sleeping man. To put it more precisely, Pinon noted with pleasure, unconscious man. He dared to lean down and snap his fingers besides the man’s ear. Nothing. Well drugged he was. Pinon’s eyes darted about the room once more. Remembering he had seen another pillow upon the floor by a couple of chairs, he went to get it. How simple he thought as he returned to the man in the bed and held the pillow over his face, and how incredibly convenient.

As the men quickly indulged themselves in their drinks, Bess smiled cheerfully. “Good.” She said with a nod, she quickly brought down the pitcher upon the head of the old troll. “That’s for not saying thank you!”

Then as he casually wrapped his hand around the weapon’s grip, Davis slowly shook his head and met the one-eyed man’s gaze and informed him, “I’m afraid sir, you’ve made a fatal mistake.”

As if the unexpected threat wasn’t enough, the sudden cash and the angry howl from his comrade caught the one-eyed miscreant off guard. However as the outlaw turned instinctively toward the cottage, Davis quickly brought his weapon to bear and pulled the trigger.

A shower of sparks flew from the pistol’s frizzen, followed by a sudden flash as the pan ignited….

“Better luck next time laddie!” Snarled the one-eye.

But as the one-eye quickly move forward drawing his own weapon, young Davis followed the outlaw’s movement with a determined aim until a sudden explosion brought the pistol to life.

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

The shipwright was gone for the night by the time the trio arrived at the yards. Jane pulled Westing aside, a smooth coin pressed into his small hand, as she muttered the instructions he was to pass on come morning.

“Under stan?” Jane slurred, cradling her jaw with one hand as she spoke.

She could feel the swelling under her palm though the taste of blood in her mouth had subsided. The brow of young Westing creased, his dark eyes looking at the shadowed face of the former carpenter with a mix of concern and confusion.

“Under stan?” She repeated louder, more insistence behind her voice than before. The boy’s shoulders straightened habitually at the change in her tone.

“Aye sir.” Brown curls bobbed as he nodded before turning and hurrying down the dark street.

Jane watched the boy go, making sure he was well on his way before slumping against a stack of crates and letting out a pained groan. She clamped her eyes shut, letting the cool evening breeze blow against the beads of sweat along her brow. Her hand continued to cup the tender cheek, though the move was no longer alleviating the constant pain. When her eyes opened again it was only to see Ioan towering over her, an annoyed smirk on his sea tanned face.

“Na shore leav iss ov r.” She conceded without taking her eyes off the Welshman.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

"Your a brave one, and that's a fact," Ioan said, "but you should have seen that blow coming a mile off. Hurts like the devil, I'll wager."

She did nothing but glare at him, cradleing her jaw in one palm.

"Well, now what, Missy? I see you've sent the lad off to do some errand, but you're in no shape to go anywhere but back on board. No doubt Striker will want to take the cat to my back in payment for that bruise you're sporting. I've got stripes that haven't healed since I left the Rakehell, so I'll not be taking the blame for this night's escapade. Next time you have an urge for some shore leave, you ask the Captain to escort you, and leave me in peace."

He took her arm and hoisted her to her feet. "Let's get back to the ship before any more of your interesting friends come along." With a firm hand, he guided her along the street and back to the docks. The jolly boat was still moored, and to Ioan's relief, two of the Danish sailors that had gone ashore were already aboard. He hailed them, and with hand gestures got them to help Jane into the boat. As they rowed to the La Maligna, Ioan was glad his bodyguard duties were finally over, but was not looking forward to Striker's reaction when he saw the condition of his love interest.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Captain MacCraige pushed past Mr. March and gallantly took Ms Lilly's hand in his own, bringing it guickly to his lips.

"Come, Madam, Cap'n Sterlin' be not here." he said with a roguish smile. "Please, join me for a meal, will you?" he asked.

Turning to Mr March, he winked "I'll be returnin' ta discuss how we might get the 'Reiver' ta swimmin' again if it please ya."

The little dog jumped up and down, begging for Miss Lilly's attention. :huh:

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

"Thank you kindly." Said Mistress McKinney letting the good Captain escort her. "It is such a relief to know that there are a few good men left in this world." She said with a biting tone. With a quick turn she was led by the hand of the good Captain, with the little dog in tow.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Merchant Captain and Baro Rom finalized payment for services rendered and laden wagons began forward trudge to varying destinations. No word was spoken in regard to ship's company that would not accompany their Brethren with anchor's weigh, and although vessel's Master was not an unfeeling sot, he knew it better to keep tongue in check regarding recent doings. A suspicion played inner thoughts, tickling gut instinct that though he was unsure of Le Cour's reach, it would be foolish to test the boundaries and find out. Greed could overshadow conscience, and the heft of coin in possession did well to clear guilt.

Sabastian remained in Christophe's company, older sibling always in some form of peripheral view. Nothing had been breached this eve's duration involving former run in...And Younger knew that it would not. It would be kept in check until more proper surround could be acquired. What happened within the general workings of Le Cour was known to its' members, but what transpired between the Trio was viewed by few.

As last wagon drew away with escort, Andre' urged mount to proximity of kindred and long standing confidant. Sabastian forced focus on transport's departure, well aware of arrival. Elder reined when aligned, eyes tracking same quarry, words relayed in native voicing...

"In the course of night, day than night's midpoint, I expect to see you in my presence..."

Younger proffered no acknowledgement, jaw set tight. Companion gave veiled sidelong glance then recentered to where wagon's form had dissipated into darkness shroud. Further words were not needed, request was anything but, and Beggar Roi nudged mount to follow where transport had disappeared.

Breakfast had been a much needed reprieve for Dr. Reiley. He had taken his time, enjoyed his meal and the second officer’s company, but soon felt the need to return upstairs to his sorely trying patient. He said his farewells for the moment after telling Mr. Hazzards his report for Mr. March, arranged for a separate room on the opposite side of the captain’s, hoping for a bit of sleep himself, and finally found himself trudging back upstairs. He carried tray in hand with a simple meal for Sterling, hoping to get something inside the man that would stay put and hopefully clear his head a bit from the drugs.

“Bloody hell!” Reiley cursed as he reached the first floor of the inn and spotted the room’s door slightly ajar. He remembered well enough that he had locked it before departing downstairs to eat and now feared his charge had gone wandering about the Three Crownes some place, or worse, wandered off hoping to escape the care of his doctor. Quickening his step, Reiley entered the room to leave the tray of food and was relieved to find Sterling still abed. He gently kicked the door closed with one foot and then deposited the tray on a small desk.

Already the room was stiflingly hot. Reiley set about drawing open the curtains furthest from the bed and opened the window wide. The noise from the street spilled into the room and the doctor briefly cringed, awaiting the verbal abuse from patient because he would be rudely awakened due to the racket. Instead even shouting from the street did not cause the figure in the bed to so much as stir.

He went to reclaim the breakfast tray.

“Captain, I’ve brought you something to eat,” he announced as he made his way along side the bed. “Captain. Wake up.” Reiley shook his head. It figured. Carefully balancing meal, he reached down and tapped the other man’s shoulder. “Captain Sterling!” Then roughly shook it. “John, wake up!… John?”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Staying up at all hours of the night took its toll on Lilith. Soon strange images floated back and forth in dream state. There, an English brig found itself dead in the water just before twilight. Her ship and crew easily overcame them. Once her men secured the ship, she then boarded the brig, only to find nothing of true value. Disappointed, she then approached the Captain of the ship. With blade drawn, she stood her ground to those around her. Slowly she made her way to the one they called Captain.

“Why are you in these waters?” She asked the Captain. The young man just looked at her and said nothing. “Are you not afraid? Do you not know who I am?” She said taunting him as if he were a mere child. Again, the young Captain said nothing. Suddenly, a smile appeared upon her face. “Very well,” She said looking about the captured ship and crew. “Other than a few barrels of port, do you see anything of worth here, Twiggs?” The old man shook his head. “Aye, Captain.” The rest of her crew began to mumble. It was a low tone; almost audible which floated over the deck and back again. She looked at the young Captain and placed her blade to his neck. “You’ll bring a pretty penny in the slave markets of Algiers, won’t you?”

It was then Lilith opened her eyes in a start. The image of the young sea captain remained in her mind. “Damn!” She muttered to herself. “Same blasted dream…again!?” She quickly grabbed the letter from its box and placed it in her bodice. She quickly made her way upon deck and could see the harbor of Port Royal in the distance.

Lilith - Commander of The Tartarus

"God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tartarus, delivered them into pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgement."