Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

With my aunt's note clutched in one sweaty hand, I stood at the door and knocked. A dog started barking. A young boy opened the door, his eyes widening as he took in my attire, and the rapier on my belt. I handed him the note. "Tell Lady Violet that I have ansered her summons."

He took it, and shut the door. The dog continued to bark. I waited, a million thoughts and emotions tumbling in my brain. The door was opened again. The boy, the barking rag pined under his arm, motioned for me to come in, then he, the dog, and two maids trooped out, shutting the door behind me. My aunt stood next to a small writing desk. Candles and oil lamps cast a warm, buttery glow, and set sparks flying in the large ruby booch decorating the fulsome breast of my relative - whom I had not seen for almost nine years.

Like a gypsy horse dealer, she looked me up and down. I half expected her to demand I open my mouth so she could inspect my teeth. "Well, Ale—"

"Don't call me that. It's no longer my name."

Her brows lowered. "Very well, if you insist on continuing this little charade. Considering how you are dressed, what would you like me to call you? Several things come to mind."

"I go by Ransom now." I waited to see if she would make the connection.

Her gray eyes hardened. "I see." She stepped closer. "You know, I never understood why your father...abandoned you in that way. It was barbarous, and it wasn't as if the odious man didn't have the money."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better? If I remember correctly, neither you nor any other member of my family caughed up the money. You could have afforded to pay the ransom demand a hundred times over, but you did not."

"Albert and I didn't hear of the affair until you had already disappeared. Albert alerted the Admiralty Office of your situation. If any British ship had come across that Italian brig, it would have been taken, her pirate captain executed on the spot, and you returned to England. As it turned out, the ship was never found and you, apparently, made no effort to contact your parents once free."

"The only member of my family I am remotely interested in is my brother, Rudd. The rest of you can go to the devil. So, why am I here?"

Aunt Violet turned to a decanter set on a small side table. She poured an amber liquid into two glasses, then handed one of the glasses to me. She then gestured to a cushioned chair. "Make yourself comfortable. It's a long story."

I took a bracing swallow of excellent Irish whiskey. "It always is."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eyes heavy with illness, exhaustion and drugs, groggily opened as doctor’s fingers at length stabbed flesh beneath jaw line searching for pulse.

“My word, how can anyone rest when you are forever disturbing them? For the life of me, I cannot fathom doctors, but,” Sterling swallowed, running palm along side of face, his tone softening. “Thank you nonetheless. Here, what is that smell?”

“Other than you?” Reiley quipped. “I brought you something to eat. Here let me help you sit up,” he offered. “How do you feel?” he asked picking up a pillow that had fallen upon the floor near the bed. He tucked it behind his patient then placed the tray across Sterling’s lap.

“Do you really wish to know?” Sterling replied.

Reiley frowned. “I wouldn’t have asked if I didn’t. Look, last night was a nightmare for the both of us. Being as irritable as you are, there is no way in hell that you will be able to get any proper rest in this place or another like it. I know you do not wish to go home, but I think you should.”

Sterling sighed, dropping knife upon plate at the doctor’ suggestion.

“I would rather my wife not know anything more,” he argued.

“You keep saying the same thing about your crew. Your men I can understand, but she is your wife. Surely she has the right to know?”

“I would rather she did not. Aurore is no fool. She will wonder why I did not tell her the truth before we … married.” Sterling picked up the knife again and rearranged the food on his plate. “I would like to be able to go home,” he whispered.

“Good,” Reiley said, taking the captain’s response as a yes. “Can you ride?”

“Seems that I will have to.”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Little bare feet swung for another minute against the steps before Meagan stood and removed herself, entering the drawing room. She found her Mistress still busy attacking the mud that had stained the new settee. Aurore denounced her brother almost silently and the mess he had done to her house the night her husband had gone missing, as she scrubbed with brush, soap and water. She paused only briefly to brush stray lock of hair away with back of wet hand and smiled as Meagan moved across the room. The child planted herself in front of one window and began to scratch upon it with one of Aurore’s old rings. Aurore returned to the task at hand until she thought better of what the little girl was doing.

“Meagan, Chere, do you think you should?” Aurore asked, dousing brush in soapy water once again.

“But, Mistress, did you not teach me to etch my name in the cottage windows?” Meagan asked, still intent on her own chore.

“Oui, ma Chere, but that was upon the windows in my own chamber. What do you think the Captain would say if he were to find you have marked up the glass in our new drawing room?” Aurore questioned.

“Oh he would not mind, especially if you were to help me spell his name. Shall I link your name with his?” Meagan continued. Her trust and innocence brought a smile to Aurore’s face, something that had gone missing since she had been sent home. Sent home to find Sabastian’s horse nonchalantly grazing in her front pasture and his muddy tack tossed upon her good furniture. She did not even wish to think upon the damage to the back door or the plaster in the hallway. Surely, at times, brother knew just how to try sister’s patience.

“I think, little one, that perhaps you should wait and ask Jean when he comes home, non?” Aurore said.

“But he is home,” Meagan said. She pointed toward two riders in the distance. “See. And he has brought the pretty Chestnut with him. He likes the Chestnut so, does he not?” Meagan giggled.

Aurore sighed and made her way to Meagan’s side. Astonished she saw that the child was not playing.

“Meagan quickly, go find Stephen!” Aurore said, brush falling to floor besides where they now stood before the window.

“Oui Madame,” Meagan said and hurried toward the kitchen. Aurore moved closer to the window, one hand coming up, fingers spread as they pressed against the glass. She watched the two men approaching. For a moment she thought her husband drunk again. Gone was regal carriage that she had come to admire. She remembered him fighting so hard to maintain it when presenting himself at tavern to cheering crew so soon after he had been shot. Now head was no longer held proudly aloft nor back straight, shoulders square. Instead, now riding boot to boot with Dr. Reiley, he slumped forward in his saddle, his seat far too precarious. He struggled now to maintain his place, Reiley throwing one arm about his shoulders to help keep him astride. Aurore ran to the front door. Toppled Roi was coming home, defeated by some unknown foe.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Unclad feet met the dampness of stone expanse giving access to main entrance. Aurore hesitated momentarily, breath following suit, as riders drew closer then turned to be framed by fortitude gate arching. Her expression clouded with concern as eyes observed what lay before on path leading to domicile. Stay of motion was released as she rushed forward to meet Mari and Medicine man, reaching forward to Chestnut bridle.

Her voicing was as whisper on the wind when she rounded to mount's side, one hand reaching to where his gave half effort hold on reins and she called his name; eyes drawn to his own with mounting concern, taking in the slight sway of posture on leather wrought throne.

Hurried footsteps sounded from behind, slowing uncertainly as Stephen came into proximity. Aurore's words were steady, no shakiness would be allowed to show as she stepped back.

"Stephen...aid my Husband to the bedroom, s'il vous plait."

The deep olive eyes fell to Reiley, silently demanding answer to current quandary and concerns....

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Reiley dismounted quickly, coming to aid servant with his burden. His arm moved back to support patient as he pulled Aurore into his confidence.

"Quickly Lady, hide these horses! I must get the captain inside with haste. If anyone asks, he has been here with you since the other night!" Reiley instructed. He moved forward, toward the house with Sterling and Stephen. "Hurry we may not have time to waste. I do not think we were followed but unless Childermass can deal with the mess, it will not be long before we are found out."

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore's main focus lay upon Husband's current state, so much so that Reiley's announcements were almost an echo in the distance...An echo that quickly rounded and fell to bear on instincts. She recentered on Medicine Man, judging his posture and urgency of verbose.

Others had come into view with front lawn disturbance, horses were quickly handled as newly arrived were ushered inside. As Aurore followed in wake, a light touch to shoulder paused progression and she turned.

Dubois had followed earlier carriage transport, keeping eye on the area while many had gone on to cargo's demand. There was suspicion floating his expression and one hand hovered near man made thunder grip. They spoke in hushed tones briefly, then she continued inside; following steadfast to the upper floor.

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Reiley raised from where he stooped, hastily removing Sterling’s shoes and stockings.

“Fetch him a clean nightshirt!” Reiley told Abernathy. “Help him wash off his hands and face. He stinks of the powder.”

Reiley went straightway to Aurore, passing her a vial he had removed from one coat pocket. “Here now Mistress, mix a good spoonful in a glass of water and see that he drinks it,” he instructed. The doctor's hands were stained with blood, Aurore balked fleetingly, before she took hold of the drug. Reiley caught himself before he turned back to seeing the captain quickly put into bed. “Do not worry tis not his this time,” he explained. “Now hurry Lass. We cannot take any chances.”

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore did not care for the observance of another's orders, it tended to raise a defiant streak in her that was near impossible to budge, but there was much in Reiley's manner that did well to belay what came naturally. The browning stain of aging crimson against sun touched skin distracted her attention briefly before action of compliance was brought to.

Concoction mixed, she hovered near Sterling's side, gently aiding the intake. The mystery of the hour would be defused soon enough. Until the time for telling arose, she would work with diligence to ensure no further upsets.

Already heavily drugged, Sterling blinked trying to focus vision on who was assisting him, but there were too many hands fussing about him. Still, one pair was gentle, their touch cool as they brought glass to lips.

“NO more!” he protested but as sights rested on the woman beside him, he settled accepting the mixture.

“Oh God,” he whispered as his head was eased back down to the comfort of pillows. “Chere,” he sighed, hand lifting only to fall back to bedding without touching beloved’s cheek. He groaned, face screwing up with discomfort. “Tell the old goat to bring the girl here,” he stammered. “Buy her myself. Oh God! Bloody doctors, kill him next I will.”

Crewe of the Archangel

The confusion at his words was kept veiled, buried deep as not to show on angled features. She sat lightly on bed's support, gently brushing back tow tinctured hair that clung with insistance to fevered brow.

"Hush now, Sucre'....You are home and safe."

His features relaxed a fraction, good eye searching her own. Small hand captured larger one, caress given to more weathered surface. His words rattled within the corridors of her mind, things that were disjointed offering little resolve and Aurore was discomforted by the enigmas.

Squeeze of comfort was given and she spoke soft sooth, urging him to relax.

Reiley scurried about the chamber, gathering Sterling's clothing into a pile which was shoved into Stephen's arms.

"Go, take these and stash them some place," the doctor ordered ushering the servant from the room now that he was no longer needed. He closed the door, removed his coat, rolled up his sleeves, then continued to make the room look lived in. He paused only briefly, watching Aurore tend to distracted husband. He would explain as soon as he could, but now was not the time. He grumbled to himself, wishing drug would take hold faster.

"Shut him up if you can!" Reiley snapped when he could bare the babbling no longer. "Before I have to hit him again!"

Crewe of the Archangel

As the Tartarus finally made its’ way into the harbor, Lilith quickly set out a list of instructions to her crew. “I want my instructions followed to the letter, Twiggs.” She said picking up her gloves and hat. “And I do not wish to replay another hellish incident like the one in Cape Town.”

Her voice was stern and demanding. It was then her eyes were quickly drawn to the entrance of her cabin doorway. “Mistress?” A young man stood before the two of them, but hesitated for a moment. “Well?” Lilith shouted, “Do you think I do not have anything better to do than stand here? Out with it, Boy!” The young man quickly bowed and in a fluster of motion began to speak. “I did as you wished, Mistress. You will find the man you are looking for at the Crown. It is just up the harbor.”

Lilith placed her hand upon her breast for a moment, where the well hidden letter was safe. “Good. I am off to the Crown then. I do not expect to be too long. When I return, I shall speak with you Twiggs about further plans for the ship and crew.”

She walked on deck looking about the crowd of men that were hard at work. As she made her way to the gangplank, she turned to Twiggs once more. “My exact orders Twiggs,” She whispered softly, leaning towards him. “Or you will find yourself like your brother…at the bottom of the sea.”

Lilith - Commander of The Tartarus

"God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tartarus, delivered them into pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgement."

The smell of the harbor finally disappeared as Lilith made her way up the cobblestone streets to the The Crown Inn. In the mid morning rush the streets were quite crowded. Hawkers voice rose above the din, shouting loudly as they tried to sell their wears. Livestock of goat and sheep crowded the streets and the jostle of cart and carriage made navigating the street to the inn tolerable.

As Lilith entered the inn, several of the men who loitered there turned and cast eyes upon her. She did not waste her time in acknowledging them. She was there to deliver a letter and by God, that is what she was going to do.

She approached the barkeep that stood at the edge of the bar. “I am looking for a man who goes by the name…Pinon.” The barkeep nodded his head slowly. “And whom shall I tell him is calling for him?” Lilith’s eyes narrowed a bit and her voice lowered. “Tell him the letter which he waits for is finally here…and that Lord Darnley sends his regards.”

Lilith - Commander of The Tartarus

"God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tartarus, delivered them into pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgement."

The orange globe of light bobbed gently as the small boat pulled towards the scrub covered shore. As her hull scrapped against the soft sand bottom the forward man lept out. Leathery hands pulled the craft further inland. Another man stepped into the shallow waters, the flickering lantern in one hand. Without a word the boat was lifted between them only to be tucked quietly amongst the tall shore grasses. Dark eyes exchanged a glance and a nod before the dim light was doused. The only words spoken between the two men were barely audible over the lapping waves as they turned toward Port Royal.

"Buscamos a el Capitan"

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

None too gentle slaps were administered to wounded man’s face until eyes flickered open and he sat up. He grimaced reaching for the hole in the front of his shoulder, then focused upon the man who bent over him.

“You!” he gasped in alarm. “Le Cour…”

“Enough said on your part,” Seth Childermass warned. He straightened. “But you will listen now to what I have to say. If so much as one word escapes your lips regarding what has transpired here, you will see me again. For a very brief space of time.”

“But…”

Childermass struck a hard blow across the man’s mouth. “Did you not hear me? Sorry it is for you then for I will not repeat myself again.”

The wounded man raised his arms against further assault. “No, no. I understand. Nothing from me. Not a word, I swear it!” He recovered and pointed to the trio holding the hurt child. “But what of them? Who will guarantee their silence?”

Childermass moved to horse and mounted.

“What has happened has bound them to silence out of thankfulness and new found loyalty,” Childermass replied, as sobbing child was gently handed up to his safe keeping.

“But how will I explain their loss?” the man asked, his tone becoming frantic.

“I am certain you can think of something suitable as long as it is not the truth. Remember, the only one who needs to fear is you my friend. Lucky you are indeed for that ball could have very well done you in. You are granted a second chance, do not place yourself in a position for me to take that away from you.” Childermass turned his attention to the male slave. “We’ve several hours journey ahead of us. You will be pressed hard to keep up. See to your womenfolk.” Cradling child close to his body, Childermass pressed mount into action and small band quickly moved off

Crewe of the Archangel

Cradling child close to his body, Childermass pressed mount into action and small band quickly moved off

The wounded man groaned and lay back against the grass as a fourth rider continued to watch, safely at a distance.

Lapsing into fitful sleep, Sterling continued obscure speech, sorely vexed for the welfare of some unknown. Aurore sat with growing concern until husband slipped into unconsciousness and finally quiet rest. For a long while after she sat, watching him, soft caress applied to face and the hand she still clung to. And yet she was all too aware of Reiley’s constant flight about the bedroom, moving from one curtained window to the next, to peek out from behind heavy drapery, searching for any uncertain movement below in the surrounding yard. When at last, she felt comfortable enough to remove herself from loved one’s near presence, she stirred herself and went to pour three goblets full of strong wine. Two she carried to the doctor, who had yet again moved to the opposite side of the room to check upon the outside world.

“Doctor,” she said quietly, backing up enough to save fine liquid as Reiley nearly jumped out of his own skin at her address. He turned and faced her, drawing the curtains closed before he did so. She passed both glasses to him, then went to obtain the third for herself. With one more concerned glance at Sterling, she took a sip.

“You will tell me now what has happened to cause you to come here in such a fashion.” It was not a suggestion and Reiley knew it.

Crewe of the Archangel

The Medicine Man's flighty manner was quite unsettling to her. Too many years Aurore had been conditioned to the calm precession of Brothers and Le Cour. It would be a hard pressed thing to acquire memory of when it was not so and to be subjected to Reiley's near panic mode disturbed the rhythms of her soul.

Another sip was taken of pungent rouge, while a glint of wild intermingled cool resolve in visual pools.

Reiley finished one glass of wine before collapsing into a nearby chair. He waited for Aurore to settle as well before he leaned forward, elbows propped upon knees. He looked at wine as it swirled in second glass before he looked up at Aurore.

“I am not certain I should draw you into what has happened,” the doctor said. “Surely if you knew, you could be held responsible. Your husband would die if any harm came to you because of his actions. I do not believe he could help himself... he was not in his proper mind. And though I know you would not tell anyone about it... Oh God,” Reiley said, rubbing one hand across his mouth. “It will surely all come to light and then where will he be?”

Crewe of the Archangel

One delicate brow arched slightly, a reflective mimic of Brother's expression. Another sip was procured and she responded softly in contrast to his barely contained fervor.

"Monsuier Reiley, you will be kind enough to tell me what this issue is and belay the dancing about its' foundations..."

Emptied goblet was refilled than returned to the Other. In near distance, John Sterling shifted in restless sleep.

Reiley took another large gulp of liguid courage. "All right then...

The horses had been collected, cash finally being turned over to the stable owner for the Chestnut. Leary eyed, due to previous encounter with Sterling, the man saw that sale was promptly made with guarantee that tack and doctor’s horse would be returned as soon as possible. Animals were quickly produced and the man breathed a sigh of relief as the men mounted and were on their way. Chestnut, already knowledgeable as to where better food and care came from, behaved admirably for new owner, who, due to medicine was having a difficult time remaining onboard.

The ride progressed for some time, with Sterling nodding off numerous times. When nearly falling from the saddle, Reiley, forced to grab a hold of captain’s collar to haul him back from the brink, began to delve into his patient’s memory regarding his illness. After awhile the questioning began to clear Sterling’s fogged brain and captain had then decided shortest route home would be best accomplished by a short cut of trespassing across a number of plantations that lay between harbor and home. Reiley had no choice but to follow along.

Journey continued on for another hour before Sterling doubled over, grabbing hold of side and Chestnut’s mane. Reiley removed the laudanum from one coat pocket. Without water to cut the drug, he passed it to his companion with instructions to take a simple swig of contents. Reiley smiled, this time there was no argument, just a sour look. They continued on, stopping a few more times for Sterling to catch his breath before the drug began to kick in.

“So,” Reiley began, since questioning about Sterling’s sickness soon turned sour as well. “Tell me about the Archangel.” Sterling rode on in silence a few minutes before he started a broken litany regarding his ship, thoughts slowly muddling once more.

“She has a …contingency of … 85 men, 14... No sixteen guns. She is a brigantine… rigged both square and fore and aft… she… oh bloody hell doctor, take a good look at her the next time you are down by the docks,” Sterling grumbled.

“Oh I have,” Reiley said. “But you must excuse me, captain. I am a doctor… barely, not a man of the sea.”

“Obviously,” Sterling groused, eyelids growing more heavy. They had ridden on for another hour when suddenly the captain reined in the Chestnut, with what could best pass for a look of alarm, on drug induced features.

“Do ye hear it?” Sterling asked, his head slightly cocked to one side.

“Hear what?” Reiley asked in return. He was rewarded with another sour glance.

“If ye would stop flapping yer gob for a minute ye would,” Sterling remarked.

“Just to annoy you, I am going to cure you,” Reiley snapped. “Even if doing so kills us both!” He stopped then, his eyes widening as he heard a cry in the distance. “You mean ….” but already Sterling had spurred the Chestnut into a run chasing after the sound.

Reiley could only groan. He watched as living nightmare galloped off, trampling through the sugar cane. “Abbi, you shall never guess,” Reiley muttered to himself. “I spent the day fox hunting after phantoms.” But then he heard the sound again. Someone was screaming. He dug his heels into his mount and quickly followed after where Sterling had disappeared. By the time doctor and rented horse caught up, Reiley could only jerk the poor old thing to a halt and stare wide eyed at the scene before him.

He had heard of such practices in passing but had never hoped to witness what he did. Two women and a man, slaves, huddled together. One woman was crying hysterically due to a child, stripped to the waist and tied to a tree. Already the young girl, Reiley reckoned to be no more then ten years of age, was bleeding profusely, her back laid open by the overseer’s whip.

Sterling, the Chestnut now prancing frantically about, had placed himself in the thick of it. His face wild with his anger, the drug making him all the more dangerous, already the Snaphance revolver was in his hand and pointed at the overseer. Reiley now cursed himself for not confiscating the captain’s weapons before they rode off.

“Who the hell do you think you are?” Reiley heard the overseer shout.

“Your better! I said belay your actions!” Sterling shouted in return. “Or so help me I shall drop you where you stand!”

“John think of what you are doing!”

Reiley started as a third horseman came up alongside him. He turned in his saddle to see Seth Childermass appear from the sugar cane.

“Shut up ye old goat! I know exactly what I am about!” Sterling shouted.

“Listen to your friend and ride on,” the overseer said. “This is no business of yours.”

“Slavery is everyone’s business and a most foul practice it tis! Now put down yer whip and let the child alone!” Sterling ordered. Instead the overseer turned his back on the irate rider.

As whip raised once more, Seth Childermass lunged forward, striking Sterling hard across the side of his head, sending him falling to the ground but already revolver had fired. The only sound the overseer made was that of slipping to the earth as spent ball surprisingly found its mark all too well. Reiley watched, slack jawed as the women ran to the child, the man ran to Sterling’s aid. Both he and Childermass, now dismounted, reached the captain.

“Touch him again and I’ll kill you,” the black man warned. “He done us a goodness.”

“Yes he has,” Childermass said calmly. “But them like him will never see it that way. This man is my responsibility. I mean him no harm.” He took hold of the dazed captain. “Come along John, you need to get away from here.” Gently he turned his charge. Tears coursed down the captain’s face. “Doctor Reiley!” Childermass called.

Doctor had slowly dismounted, in stunned movements, he had made his way to small child. Examing wounded back, his touch gentle, trying to stop the flow of blood. Reiley turned and looked to where wraithlike creature beckoned him. He watched as Childermass and the black man helped Sterling back to the Chestnut.

“The house is only a short ride. Stay to the fence line. You cannot miss it,” Childermass instructed Reiley. Doctor, with one last fleeting look to tiny figure, quickly remounted.

“The girl,” Sterling mumbled as Childermass threw him back on his horse. “See to the girl. Take her some place they cannot find her. Keep her safe.”

“I will,” Seth promised. “COME ALONG DOCTOR!”

Reiley, just as dazed, urged his mount forward, taking hold of the Chestnut’s reins. “I’ll take care of things here,” Childermass said. “Now get him the hell out of here!”

Crewe of the Archangel

Mental gears went into motion as tale was told and options were contemplated with thorough fashion. Calculating direction and bearing, plantation in question was pinned down and options rolled forth again. Half glance was given to Mari, then attention returned to Reiley. A tincture of sympathy washed her expression briefly, then was vanquished by harder guise. Aurore's voice had hollowed ambiance when she addressed him again.

"It is best that you allow me to handle this matter, Monsieur Reiley. There is nothing more that you can do than take care of my Husband."

Aurore moved to the chamber door, opening it slowly and motioned to the one she knew stood beyond it. Her request was specific, her directions clear. Dubois gave smallish bow, turning on heel to depart domicile on appointed errand. As he mounted waiting horse, he could not help but wonder if such a summoning would be for the best.

Reiley sat back in comfort of chair, downing remains of third drink. He watched Aurore move to chamber door and saw Dubois bow in acknowlegement of his orders. What she had whispered, Reiley did not catch as he closed his eyes a moment. Cry from bed would send him leaping from seat though, as drugged filled sleep soon produced nightmare results.

Crewe of the Archangel

They waited one and twenty minutes more, the sound of burdened wagons now but a recollection of another profitable venture. The beach head resembled any other of choice in the more untamed areas of Jamaica's sandy parameter; all evidence swept away but a few areas of flattened flora.

When time felt right, Bay and Dunn were urged forward, those at the helms conversing on varying subject matter....some choices carefully avoided. Within smattering miles to the Sterling household, Beggar Prince broke away heading further inland, while Frenchman continued on, hedging the roadway.

Lady Violet had not known what to expect should her wayward niece actually respond to her summons. She hadn't known for certain if the child would even be in Port Royal. Child? No, the person sitting across from her was no child. More a stranger. And it was not because of her scandalous, masculine way of dress, or the weapon at her side. It was the coldness in the woman's eyes. A steely hardness which could only have been forged by years of harshness no man should have to endure, let alone a woman.

However, Lady Violet had an obligation to fulfill, and news to impart. "The first thing I must inform you of, Ran..." She waved a gloved hand. "I cannot possiblly call you by that atrocious name."

"Call me by my birth name, and this little tete-a-tete is over."

Lady Violet concluded there would be no pleasantries during this conversation. Bluntness would be the only way. "Your father is dead."

Her niece merely smiled. "I'm sure it wasn't due to remorse."

"Hardly. He died of smallpox. As did your oldest brother."

The whiskey glass poised in a suddenly still hand. "And Rudd?"

"Rudd is now master of Thornbures. I'm sure you realize the significance of that."

"Oh yes. It means that Rudd, instead of being able to escape, is now trapped in that family pile for the rest of his life."

"Don't prevaricate. It means you can go home. You can return to the society into which you were born."

Her niece laughed. "Go home? Insinuate myself back into society, exchange idle gossip, drink watered wine, and have fatuous, weevil-brained lordlings drooling over my hand? With my damaged virture like a brand on my forehead, do you honestly think society is going to welcome me back to its bosom with open arms?"

Lady Violet prided herself on being able to maintain her composure under the most aggravating of situations. Her niece was testing that ability to its fullest. "Don't be absurd," she snapped. "Of course society is not going to crush you to its bosom. Nor is it going to invite you to its townhouses, its country estates, or its garden parties. Not at first. However, with time, and under the auspices of the proper person, you could find your place again, and a suitable match arranged.

This time her niece gave a most unbecoming snort. "Suitable match? Hardly. Rudd would be lucky if he could pay some village blacksmith to take me to wife. No, I will not go back to England. If that was the goal of this meeting, then I fear you have failed to achieve it."

"Very well." Lady Violet opened a drawer in the little side table on which stood the decanter of whiskey. From the drawer she took a sealed envelope and handed it to her niece. "If I cannot persuade you to return home, then maybe this will."

She watched her niece read the inscription on the front, then turn the envelope over and run an index finger over the wax seal. Then the eys of the woman now calling herself Ransom went even colder, and with calm defiance, she tore the envelope into shreds and let the pieces fall to the floor.

Lady Violet did not rein back her fury. "That, you obstinante child, was a extremely stupid thing to do."

LADYVIOLET2.jpg