Drake's Bay- Kissin' the lid o' Davy Jones Locker

TalesOfTheSevenSeas

Wow.... what an amazing weekend this has been! This was truly one for the history books, as we quite unexpectedly got a real-world dose of what Drake and his crew experienced when they sailed the same waters!

Royaliste, Saber, myself and a newly joined member of our pirate guild set out early on Saturday morning and sailed 25 miles north along the coastline to Drake's Bay. Drake's Bay is so named because it is believed to be the spot where Francis Drake and his crew stopped to do the careening (bottom cleaning, scraping tarring etc) of their ships. The trip up took us about 4 hours. We went as most vessels do for safety on the open ocean, a combination of sails and motor power.

We anchored out in Drake's Bay Saturday night, Saber grilled dinner on the deck and Royaliste discovered that you can actually make very good tasting pasta dishes using Mocha Mix and water when your Quartermaster forgets to buy milk!!!

The bay is silent and secluded. We were part of a Master Mariner's gathering of wooden ships and there are few modern intrusions there- just a dozen or so classic wooden ships of varying types.

In the morning, we enjoyed a hearty breakfast, secured the ship for the trip home and when we went to fire up her engines for the trip home.... we discovered that the starter hand gone out!!

Welcome to 1755. Here we are, 25 miles from home and about to do something that has probably not been done in about the last 100 years- sail a square rigger through this difficult stretch of open completely under full sail without the aid of any motor assistance. This isn't an easy sail. There are crossing currents going in all directions. There was little wind and what there was came in brief gusts. So there was little sailing we could do by the wind and we had to ride the currents. A daunting task with no motor to say the least. Add to that equation that Royaliste is sailing his ship with a very green crew. So all took a deep breath and headed out for open sea.

Just getting out of Drakes Bay seemed to take ages. It was sheltered from the wind, so we had to drift the currents... and not let them pull us in to the treacherous rocks on the northern opening!

Once out of the mouth of the bay, we had to head out to sea a ways so that we would be able to clear the rocky points at Bolinas Bay and Point Diablo that were coming up ahead.

We had little gusts of wind, but nothing much. Our top'sl (square upper sail at the top of the mast) was invaluable in catching those little gusts of wind, high up off the water. Many times we were battling some incredible currents. They would push and pull the ship from every which way, constantly changing force and direction. It was a constant balancing act to keep going in the right direction, read the sea ahead of us, get the sails working to our best advantage and keep us pointed towards home… then the fog caught us.

I went below to make sandwiches and came up to see that we were no longer in sight of land, but encircled in fog. When that happens, you lose your sense of direction. North looks like south looks like east looks like west. It is just a big circle of fog all around you and your ship. We used the compass and the GPS (we did have that modern advantage) to locate our position on the nautical charts. That job fell to me, but fortunately my drafting background and some archaeological mapping experience came in handy and I located our position along the coastline with a couple of minutes of familiarizing myself with the map and the GPS. We also radioed the other ships in the vicinity and advised them of our rather precarious situation.

We slowly worked our way towards the Golden Gate, several times fighting incredible currents working against us. After one time where the ship was so far over on her side that the muzzles of the cannons were only a few inches from the water, I looked up at Royaliste and said “I think we should title our posts on the Pyracy Pub about this ‘Kissing the lid of Davy Jones Locker!!’ “ and so that’s where the name came from.

We had no idea what we would face coming back in the Golden Gate. We hoped to arrive in time to catch a flood tide, but we couldn’t control the timing. The Gate is tough. Lots of quickly changing currents, a treacherous rocky point aptly named “Point Diablo” which translates to “Devil’s Point”, where the current draws the ship right into it. Just as we were getting ready to come in under the gate… a great big barge was coming the opposite way. So we had to out-guess his moves, avoid point Diablo, not hit the concrete and iron bridge support, battle the currents all at once as we came in under the Golden Gate!!

It was touch and go a few times with some pretty tense moments. But we made it through and to the bay to our great relief! Once in the bay, we knew we’d done something that had not been done in probably a hundred years or so. Made the trip in a square-rigged ship under full sail. …and with such a green crew, maybe never. It was quite a day. Friends in a small boat met us, and helped us ease the Royaliste into her slip.

We’re all pretty worn out, but it was one heck of a weekend!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Holy...

Wow...did I leave some o' me luck over there as well?

*kisses whatever it is that supplies my good fortune!*

It's been a crazy weekend, it has....glad y'made it home safe luv!

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

:) And, 'tis a crew a bit more 'seasoned', intended or not..Now, about luck, as I use up a fair portion of it in work and play. Yesterdays only episode of luck was timing the flood tide at the 'Gate...Beyond that, 'twas a day of brutal seamanship,nary a bit 'o luck involved,'cept mebbee the passengers luck at 'avin' a sailor on watch....another funny note; as Dakkar towed me towards my slip from the ferry landing, there was a stringer of kayakers headin' out in the dark...Dakkar hollers 'Outside...large vessel in tow'..the rental kayak leader shouts 'Outside, outside, hurry! they're towing the Hawaiian Chieftain!'...can't even get it right under sail!.....Later, I'm gonna tape up the cuts and holes in me hands..... :ph34r:

....another funny note; as Dakkar towed me towards my slip from the ferry landing, there was a stringer of kayakers headin' out in the dark...Dakkar hollers 'Outside...large vessel in tow'..the rental kayak leader shouts 'Outside, outside, hurry! they're towing the Hawaiian Chieftain!'...can't even get it right under sail!.....Later, I'm gonna tape up the cuts and holes in me hands..... :ph34r:

*stare!*

They mistook you for the Pineapple.....

*staaaaaaaare*

Stoopit Tourists.....Hel-LO! *point* JOLLY ROGER!!!

*smacks forehead!*

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

....Been on me belly in the engine room for too long, and, the starters toast....Off for a rebuild tomorrow...Getting chastised a bit by my peers for not taking a mate along...mostly the 'what if something had happened to you, nevermind the engine?' concept...bears a bit 'o thinkin', as it's a tough thing, staying off a lee shore in the North Pacific.....

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr......

I guess the folks at the habor are half right!

Some of the new crew aboard the Royaliste might not know the rigging and other things that make a square sailer different but one of them knows how to helm a sail boat.

Worst comes to worse, we'll not leave crew overboard!!!

Arrrrrrrrrr Captain Royaliste, we're waitin yer orders Sir!

:ph34r:

We’re all pretty worn out, but it was one heck of a weekend!

Wow! (she says, falling out of pirate-speak whilst reeling her jaw up from the floor.)

Perversely, this makes me even more interested in going out with the group. Very perversely, as I have no experience, and frankly the whole story recounted puts the wind up me (as it were).

I think the reason being the incredible teamwork of you all.

Many kudos, and bravely done!

*feels very small and meek...but inspired!*

OK gotta add me two dubloons to Saber's.

First of all, agreed, we are a very green crew. But on the other hand, one thing we have never discussed is that both Saber and I have been directly involved with life & death water rescues and neither of us panicked. We never wanted to talk about sad and unhappy things aboard the Royaliste as we're all there to have fun.

A bad scenario would be if you were injured and unable to captain the ship. In that case, we could have at least held a stationary position and radioed for help.

Worst case scenario would have been if you had been hit by the boom and knocked overboard. I can tell you this much captain. We know enough to make every attempt to rescue a person overboard, but know enough not to risk the lives of the rest of the crew doing it. Had the worst happened, of course every attempt would be made for a rescue and of course assistance would be radioed for as well. But I can tell you this much, we do know how to stay calm do our best and not panic. God willing, we'll never have this tested again and never aboard Royaliste.

In the case of Saber, a small child fell over board. He dove in and got her while the boat circled and picked them up. They got the baby quick enough, but Saber was so exausted from the ordeal, they nearly didn't get back to him in time.

In my case, a young lad of 23 on our camping trip fell into a river during a particularly bad snow melt. I found his body in the river. An attempt was made at rescue and his body was recovered but we were too late to save him.

So if this is of any reassurance, we're green with tall ships, but we've both looked death in the eye captain and are a little less green in that respect than we appear on the outside. So you can at least rest a little easier on that. :) Don't beat yerself up so bad on this m'dear.

So if this is of any reassurance, we're green with tall ships, but we've both looked death in the eye captain and are a little less green in that respect than we appear on the outside. So you can at least rest a little easier on that. :) Don't beat yerself up so bad on this m'dear.

And, just to add a more abashed bit to my earlier "Golly Gee Willikers" post...thank goodness all aboard seem like the types to think fast and clearly under pressure. I'm very glad all made it back safe.

All I can say about our Drakes Bay sail is.....

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Royaliste did a great job of getting us green team members to the right place at the right time. I never once doubted there wasn't enough skill on board to get us home safe and sound.

I know there's so much to learn about a square rigged ship but!!!! Sailing is sailing, or at least I hope it is...LOLOLOL

Thanks for the great weekend Captain Royaliste. :ph34r:

Aye, as stated, a crew more 'seasoned', ready or not. For the readers, I must stress that although the day became a real sailing adventure on a square-rigged ship, at no time were there any safety issues. It was a beautiful sail, just no luxury options. As far as the timing of the tide, had it been ebbing, we'd have just continued to sail south to Half- Moon Bay, using the ebbing tide to give me another knot. The issue of evryone's safety is one of extreme prudent seamanship, and, nothing has happened to me yet. Just one of those Doubting Thomas type retorts. The crew does pull together, thats what makes a crew. I'll sail from Drakes Bay any day for the offshore solitutude and magic it supplies....Yo, ho a pirates life for me.... :ph34r:

Ah.. good point Royaliste. I didn't intend to make my post sound as if we were about to go crashing the Royaliste against Diablo Point etc. Just that it was a factor to deal with and avoid. Although I think that's what the currents would have enjoyed most certainly and had done to other ships in the past. Great care was given to keeping us all out of danger at all times. There were some tense moments keeping it that way, a few times and situations that changed quickly with the blink of an eye. But all were quickly corrected.

For example, once when I was at the helm, with Saber and Royaliste adjusting the sails, they shouted "Boom!" meaning that the boom of the main sail was swinging and that one goes right over the helm. I was already crouched down, but looked up. In those two seconds I looked up, the current caught the ship's keel and pulled her bow right off my intended course. In these waters, she angled off about 15 degrees in a matter of seconds. But a quick shout from Royaliste caught my mistake before it became a problem.

Apologies if I got too adventurous with my description- (it's a pirate thang... ye know, like Jack sparrow ropin' them sea turtles!)

:) No,lass..Ye'ere descriptions were excellent, just that some 'o the newbies might not understand how exciting sailing on an average day can be, much less an extremely exciting day.. and, well, they are waaayy greener than us. Actually, a very good adventure in sail training. Some people pay waaay big dubloons for just such an adventure, and we do it alla the time!.... :ph34r:

All kidding aside Saber and Talls, If the good Capt fell over board, You would then have the opportunity to be Capt?

What a great way to aquire a tall ship :ph34r:

No wonder I don't have many friends, and those I have sleep with one eye open! :ph34r:

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

Sounds like fun...wish I'd have been there. Them marine engines definitely have that history of not starting. I've sailed a few boats onto the dock before due to the blasted iron ballast not starting up. But, as long as there are sails, an anchor, and a sounding lead, things should be just fine for a sailor. Unless you're dismasted. That really does suck. Even if the engine is running fine, the loss of that counter-weight makes the ride much less comfortable.

Glad ye all made it back safely, nonetheless.

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Nay Bully, not aboard the Royaliste lad. Should such a thing occur if it were done with maliscious intent, no doubt the ship herself would turn on an evil crew in swift order. A strong spirt lives in her timbers and there's little doubt she would have her revenge. Hell hath no fury like an angered ship.

Well, sounds like a good time was had by all. (lol) Glad it all turned out ok and no one panicked or mutinied.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yup... that was a non-costumed sail. We do them now and then, LOL. Wearin' our civies that sail we wuz. ;)

Glad you liked the photos Cap'n. Royaliste looks beautiful as always. Hard to get a bad picture with her for a subject! Quite a photogenic beauty she is! I Photoshopped out the anchorline in a couple of photos, as well as boats in the background. If you want any other touch-ups so that they'll be website worthy, let me know. I noticed that the image of the swivel gun at sunrise had been converted to a gif format, which is why the sunrise colors are coming out as circles instead of an even color change. You might want to just link to my .jpg image.