pirate t-shirt project

Zephyr

I'm drawing out a design for a t-shirt back for friends (seasonal gift thing), thought to do something with PotC, but copyright aside......all those colours), plan is a large pirate ship centered and "on the account" below...your expert advice...........which ship would you recommend?

...and is the wording properly ...."On the Account" or "On Account"........

maybe a skull and X on the "pocket" area front......

made some "Hogwarts" crest shirts, too cute for some.....

I nominate the Royaliste as the vessel whose image you use. That be if the Capt'n approves.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

the royaliste is a right beauty of a ship and him being so kind about invitin his fellow pirate brethren aboard so often.It would a most appropriate use.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

That would be an honor indeed!

Though, truth be told, the easiest/fastest art to work with would be a b/w photo, profile showing GREAT detail, or an etching...be n' why I thought to pirate an old picture and sketch it larger......

I did find my way to this site lookn for 8 Reales coin info and tall ship photos for paintn', though I imagine the Royaliste has had 'er portrait done before. gotta run....... the shower be waitn'........

If Ye need help in drawin' a ship...I would certainly be willing ter help..

-Redd

Well friend, what be ur thoughts on this project? I'm listen'n to all suggestions (especially if they save me nights of freehand draw'n, occupied as I am...) and thank you kindly

Ahoy there Master Zephyr,

Do you have and thumbnails you can show us of what you be 'aving in mind layout and design wise?

As fer the ship, assuming that you be wanting to go fer something clean and simple that makes good black and white source art for silk screening, you might want to try looking in to some of the Dover collection of copyright free engravings. They make nice Xerox straight to clear film to burn a screen or scan right into the computer. With a little touch up in Photoshop or Illustrator and depending on how large you be needing it, either output at home or at the local print shop.

And what kind of name be Zephyr?

Has anyone contacted the Royaliste? I sent an email through the pub. But I seem not to get responses from most. Could be me.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Ahoy there Master Zephyr,

Do you have and thumbnails you can show us of what you be 'aving in mind layout and design wise?

As fer the ship, assuming that you be wanting to go fer something clean and simple that makes good black and white source art for silk screening, you might want to try looking in to some of the Dover collection of copyright free engravings. They make nice Xerox straight to clear film to burn a screen or scan right into the computer. With a little touch up in Photoshop or Illustrator and depending on how large you be needing it, either output at home or at the local print shop.

And what kind of name be Zephyr?

I'd like to learn how to put a digital photo up....currently beyond me' ken....but the idea of silkscreen is about right, a ship in the center, about 14" high, an arc above saying "on the account' (gonna have to decide on a font too.......hmmm) and below, probably straight (and maybe) "Brethren of the Coast" (unless it turns out someone has the copyright on that... B) ..). Too lazy/$/unskilled screenwise... to set up a silk screen (future possibility)..**and yer idea of local printshop is a good idea....might check a few prices before I begin the work.....)**, I was going to heat transfer (usually good for three or four light transfers before re-inking) and then fabric pen over. Maybe a mortem mori on the "pocket area" or sleeve.

Dover sounds good. Do you have a specific book to suggest? I'm going to have to oder it, local book stores, fruitless search, maybe a trip to the library (sadly me and the libray, we keeps the same hours (not true, I work more but I'm gain'n on 'em book wise)).

Zephyr....be Greek matey (unlike me), the West Wind, also used as a word for "gentle breezes", though I don't know why, around here it is strong wind bringn' the sea air from the coast and pushin' the waves in storms. There be some nice mythology about it and it be the first word that came to me mind when I signed on, inspired (a nice Magick too, truth be told, West being the home of the Moon and the Sea)....more than ye wanted to know....?

Master Zephyr, I actually be familiar with yer name sake and yer description be more than wonderful to be sure. Exactly what I be asking fer. The real reason I be asking was that I know of another artist that be known to go by a similar name and I thought you might be them tis all. I would have been very surprised if you were they.

Arr and back to yar t-shirt project. Now it’s been a while since I’ve done any heat transfers, tis fun indeed. How do you get yer design from paper to the transfer material? I use to be able print to transfer material stock using basic copy machines or color copiers at the local print shop. Now a days I’ve seen that they have the transfer material for color printers for sale at the local computer store, haven’t tried it out yet though.

Do you just use a regular hot iron to do your transfers to t-shirt (I did) or did you invest into one of those uber clothes press steam heat thingys?

As for the Dover Publishing, here’s a link to their web site and a link to their nautical section. If the nautical section link doesn’t work, just type in nautical for the on their site.

Dover Publishing

http://store.doverpublications.com/index.html

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsea...&query=nautical

I’ve already got the Ready-To-Use Old-Fashioned Nautical Illustrations, there be lots of ship images in there. Most of them are way to small for what you be wanting to do directly. But with a couple dollars spent on Xerox copy enlargements at the self-serve station at the print shop, you should have what you be after.

reply inserted******

Master Zephyr, I actually be familiar with yer name sake and yer description be more than wonderful to be sure.****thank you :ph34r: ******* Exactly what I be asking fer. The real reason I be asking was that I know of another artist that be known to go by a similar name and I thought you might be them tis all. I would have been very surprised if you were they.******they be not the chatt'n type? I were surprised, I put the name into search and came up with a wealth (sigh) of Zephyrs! I Had no idea....well, it's hard to be new anymore and I do understand there be nothing new under the sun, I suppose that applys to the moon too...though in the dark it be harder to tell....sorry me minds wander'n, tends to do that on me day off......*****

Arr and back to yar t-shirt project. Now it’s been a while since I’ve done any heat transfers, tis fun indeed. How do you get yer design from paper to the transfer material? I use to be able print to transfer material stock using basic copy machines or color copiers at the local print shop. Now a days I’ve seen that they have the transfer material for color printers for sale at the local computer store, haven’t tried it out yet though.

*** I should consider it, habit has me us'n the old fashiond way (partially), I skip "free hand" unless it's a project of some spiritual importance to me, though I usually end up doing a bit of adapt'n the original anyway, I'll scan it, enlarge it (sometimes making quadrants of the proper size, draw it to tracing paper (quadrant at a time) to refine it, draw over the tracing paper with a "iron on transfer pen (sulky is the brand in hand)", and fabric pen over or paint over depend'n. What I see of the copy store transfers, they don't last as long.....wash'n 'em (getting drenched in sea water)...unlesss they be improved??? I also be budget'n, the booty be'n at ebb tide********

Do you just use a regular hot iron to do your transfers to t-shirt (I did) or did you invest into one of those uber clothes press steam heat thingys? ***investment in anything is out until some rich galleon come me way for plnder'n. Ye old cheap iron works well enough. If I transfer lightly (unless ye be paint'n over it), I can get three uses out'a the transfer before having to re-ink it*******

As for the Dover Publishing, here’s a link to their web site and a link to their nautical section. If the nautical section link doesn’t work, just type in nautical for the on their site.

Dover Publishing

http://store.doverpublications.com/index.html

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsea...&query=nautical

I’ve already got the Ready-To-Use Old-Fashioned Nautical Illustrations, there be lots of ship images in there. Most of them are way to small for what you be wanting to do directly. But with a couple dollars spent on Xerox copy enlargements at the self-serve station at the print shop, you should have what you be after.

****I'll be look'n at them, thanks for the navigational tip (pointing right direction) mate! A time saver indeed, was try'n to find em off the internet seas...most lose their detail enlargen even a bit......*******

:) As mentioned elsewhere, I'm in computer hell right now..Scupper, I got your email, but didn't know this thread existed until today..To those concerned, there have been four portraits painted of the Ship from reenactments. They are on my website. Quill and meself 'ave mucho digital photos, and a full cd from sea battles..I've had great fun just converting them to grayscale in photoshop. If you care to use my ship, I've no problem with it, just dont use a lame shot, and I'd like to see any art before printing, only for tecnical accuracy's sake( no lines or stuff wot aint really there, without approval).....FAIR WINDS....Gary.. :ph34r:

To those concerned,  there have been four portraits painted of the Ship from reenactments. They are on my website. Quill and meself 'ave mucho digital photos, and a full cd from sea battles..I've had great fun just converting them to grayscale in photoshop. If you care to use my ship, I've no problem with it, just dont use a lame shot, and I'd like to see any art before printing, only for tecnical accuracy's sake( no lines or stuff wot aint really there, without approval).....FAIR WINDS....Gary.. :ph34r:

drat, I'd wanted to add some extra sheets....(RR.......yr write'n gives new mean'n to "between the sheets")...Thank you sir, for the kind offer, I'll go and look (at the site), t'would be fun to use a live ship (boat? less than three masts? amateur me).

As for the rest, excuse also my lack of experience with post'n, an feel free to correct me if I be wrong here (though be warned, I'm a Moonchild,) but as I started the thread, and I be struggle'n with the project I have appreciated the assistance offered by all, especially you three kind gentleman, and would be surprised if any took offence ).....(am I missing something, why?) (of course all offence would be settled on shore, and I practice various heal'n arts so call me if ye need :ph34r: )....I'm hopeful that no one is going to stop offering suggestions......Stynky T., I really appreciated your suggestions, are you an artist, Sir? You sound well versed....

Oddly, I'm not getting "notifications" on anything currently...

drat, I'd wanted to add some extra sheets....(RR.......yr write'n gives new mean'n to "between the sheets")...Thank you sir, for the kind offer, I'll go and look (at the site), t'would be fun to use a live ship (boat? less than three masts? amateur me).

(though be warned, I'm a Moonchild,)

Aye, but we're especially concerned with 'accuracy' 'between the sheets'!....Terminology has nothin' to do wif' masts...You can put a boat on a ship, but you cant put a ship on a boat....69? Me too.........understand fully... :ph34r:

Aye Zephyr,

As everyone slips in and out of pirateese, tis often hard to tell what the hell is being sayed and to whom it's being directed at sometimes.

From what I can tell everything here be fine. Gary the Royaliste is just kindly offering pictures of his ship for you to use if you wish for your t-shirt project, with his approval before printing. (I think he just wants to make sure that you don't dishonor the ships name in some way before you hit the press.)

As for me being an artist, yes and thank you for noticing kind sir.

....Welcome ye are Sir Tudor (though I be a Lady (under most circumstances and conditions)), understandably distressed at yer seeming to apologize for yer excellent suggestions and advice. Sir Redd seems to be away, plunder'n some on other thread (and when it comes to working from a b/w original, I can do well enough myself, though not adverse to a community project). I'm looking at the Dover books next/today (as an emergency back up ......maybe the fastest route, consider'n that gift-giv'n time of the year be rapidly approach'n, next year I be plunder'n me gifts! Got a bad neck-ache from hours a' painting wine glasses....(think'n a doing ye ole' skull and bones on a glass for me self...three gold teeth? ........yo ho ho an' a glass of merlot?)). ......Be ye a graphic artist Sir?

The Royaliste is a beautiful boat (ship?) Sir. The pictures on yer website takes me breath! What a thrill it must be. Kindly remind me in me next life to consider throughly a life at sea. I'd a plan of gett'n back to some serious painting after the new year, it'd love to do a work of your ship (for me own).... Ye mentioned some other photos, I'm think'n full profile works best for this type of thing...did ye say ye already have some in greyscale?....Oh, and belated Birthday wishes.....what day? I'm 25th June (a' bit too close to Gemini per my horoscopial friends, but moon-powered nun-the-less)........

Lady Zephyr,

My apologies to the false reference of your gender, it seemed prudent at the time. During our conversation I noticed that we getting the attention of an unsavory lot that I didn’t recognize. In an attempt to protect your honor, (and me person) they didn’t appear so bright I though I could throw them off, distract and confuse them with loud noises, odd talk and obscure art techniques then we could escaped back to the relative safety of the pub.

Anyway, they seem to have gone for now…

Aye, I be a graphic artist of sorts with a bit of fine art thrown in to make it fun. Spent the last 20+ years of me life making a living at it…on the computer now mostly.

Lady Zephyr,

My apologies to the false reference of your gender, it seemed prudent at the time. During our conversation I noticed that we getting the attention of an unsavory lot that I didn’t recognize. In an attempt to protect your honor, (and me person) they didn’t appear so bright I though I could throw them off, distract and confuse them with loud noises, odd talk and obscure art techniques then we could escaped back to the relative safety of the pub.

Anyway, they seem to have gone for now…

Aye, I be a graphic artist of sorts with a bit of fine art thrown in to make it fun. Spent the last 20+ years of me life making a living at it…on the computer now mostly.

Me honor much appreciates your courtliness! I imagine ye do a bit a' writt'n too Sir, ye lack not for a quick mind! Ah, envious, I struggled for a while to learn CorelDraw (9), gave up an fell back to printshop......

Ahoy lass...Lemmee see, there's a local marine photographer with some outstanding photos, listed Aug 29..paperazzih2o.com or such.. I have a full cd from sea battles, and there are many others, but, alas they are stored in me dead laptop...the CD is here, and Quill may still have many, I don't ereally kow, so many are taken that I dont track them, unfortunately.. Should you ever want to try a painting, we'll work it to where the backdrop works out.....I'm a Leo cusp, 7/21/49

Ahoy lass...Lemmee see, there's a local marine photographer with some outstanding photos, listed Aug 29..paperazzih2o.com or such.. I have a full cd from sea battles, and there are many others, but, alas they are stored in me dead laptop...the CD is here, and Quill may still have many, I don't ereally kow, so many are taken that I dont track them, unfortunately.. Should you ever want to try a painting, we'll work it to where the backdrop works out.....I'm a Leo cusp, 7/21/49

.....I'm a Leo cusp, 7/21/49........

Most appropriate for a Royal!

I'll see what I can track down then (still finish'n the other projects anyway at the moment, done this weekend if I can make myself sit to it.....), just thought to try a search on the name too, never know what is floating around on the web sea...........sorry I am to hear about the demise (maybe a brief spell of illness...sea sick?) of yer laptop. Makes things more difficult...how did things go with the marina? Or should I not ask.......