GAoP patterns teaser

kass

Yeah, I know they're not 15th century. I was just trying to decribe what I see in terms of my own experience.

Not to say that these are really 15thc boots, but there are many garments that survive in use long past their time period. For example, the use of cloth hose lasted well into the 18th century until knitted hose became cheap and prevalent. But people who didn't have access to knit hose (slaves mostly) still wore cloth hose because you don't have to know how to knit to put a seam up the back of your leg.

That doesn't answer the question, of course. I'm just thinking out loud...

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant, Kass! Tis good to see some patterns from this particular era... since there pretty much are none out there at least to my undertanding other than the very limited gentlefolk like attire on G. Gedney Godwin.

Question, though. Do these patterns have historical documentation or something of the sort with them?

Can't wait to see more, m'dear. :)

Foxe.... granted you asked this long ago.. that hooded coat looked like a Capote . Jas. Townsend & Sons sells them. Tis something nice for those cold nights in camp.

:P

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Question, though. Do these patterns have historical documentation or something of the sort with them?

Oh yes! All of my patterns come with historical notes not only for the garment itself, but for the other things worn with it. So you'll know how to put together a full outfit!

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I can hardly wait! My wife and I are celebrating out 15th anniversary this year, and we want to renew our vows at a handfasting at the Faire. Janelle is remaking all our clothes for the occassion, and I can't wait! :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Right brilliant, Kass!

Took another look at the site. Tis very nice. The blue gown was very lovely. You stood out amoung the others.

;)

I be wanting a blue Pirate coat, rather tight in certain spots, very much like the blue coat on the first couple o' posts!  I may be out in yer neck o' the woods in Aug.  Ifin I can wait that long without stealin one! ;)   :blink:

If you want a pirate coat like Bonny and Read's, you won't want it "tight in certain spots", me darlin'. They were aiming to look like men! ;)

I quite agree with Kass. If you want that Read look and still need to do the sexy thing ;) , then I would go with the shirt neck left open not a tight coat especially with the common sailor type coat. If you were to go with the more formal coat, I still would go with the proper period fit. The lines are so graceful it would be a pity to pull it in where it would not normally be done so. Just a thought. I worked on a George Washington mini series years ago. The costume director wanted to place Martha W. in a Fredrick's of Hollywood contemporary corset with attached garters etc, for a scene at Valley Forge....of all things... ;) . I dressed up one of the aides in the proper chemise, corset and petticoat and threw a shawl over her and sent her out to model in front of the crew. The period correct garments won out over the overtly sexy ones. The guys found they had a lot more appeal. Again, just a thought.

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I be wanting a blue Pirate coat, rather tight in certain spots, very much like the blue coat on the first couple o' posts!

Bunny, me lass, I have seen yer picture. Iffen ye buy a standard cut Pyrate coat so that the shoulders and sleeves fit and is of proper overall length, it will be tight in certain spots.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Very true, Hector.

I don't think most people could visualize Mrs Washington in something super sexy that you may find on Angelina Jolie. NOT gonna happen. B)

& I agree... I like the Mary Read thing where I leave the shirt open & don't button it at the neck. Works great. :)

Hey Kass... here is an improv I did with my pirate outfit where I also converted it into a riding habit. It worked perfectly for the re-enctment of Baron de Kalb's funeral back in August in South Carolina.

I hope the image is not too huge....

Ridinghabitblack.jpg

Not the world's finest as I know there are still some issues with it. Granted, it's loose. But... people liked the outfit nonetheless. It served it's purpose. Who knows... perhaps I will wear it for my riding final at school.

B)