GAoP patterns teaser

kass

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about ALL of them, but you can probably put me down for the accessories, mantua and common womans' outfit. And forget the shipping, you can deliver them by hand in March :)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

My mistake, patterns I want!

Patterns, I got, madam!

I don't know about ALL of them, but you can probably put me down for the accessories, mantua and common womans' outfit. And forget the shipping, you can deliver them by hand in March

Followin' Greg's example and dressin' like a girl, are we now, Mr. Foxe? :lol:

Seriously, no sense in shipping 'em if I see you in March. I will use it as incentive... "Who's buying this round? Why, I think it's Ed!" B)

Now I know where the patterns for my next shift of clothes are coming from! Impressive! 

You, sir, are a man of extraordinarily good taste! :P

Thanks for the support, all! It's you what I do this for...

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I wouldn't do a discount. I think the shipping sets and getting some savings from mailing several at a time is sufficient.

You deserve the money for this - all of it. That's a massive amount of work. Even making one pattern here in our small shop is an undertaking...

I think we're happy getting them as they come along...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Well, thanks for understand things from the inside, Hurricane. It really is a lot of work...

But it is a labour of love. Where else can I get paid for doing what I love -- researching and replicating historic garments!

Oh stop me! I'm gonna go all sappy and un-pirate-like... B)

Well, then our skills for sewing should be ready after the period sewing class and the shirt class!

That is, if I have not worn my fingers down to the bone!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Kas

I've been trying to reconstruct the clothing Anne bonney and Mary Read wear as depeicted in the 2nd ed. of GHP (except I don't want my boobs a bout to fall out of my shirt B) ). Will you have patterns suited to that? It's similar to what the action figure of Anne Bonney has on.

The patterns look great BTW. :)

Thanks

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Hi Maria,

Do you mean this one:

85753198.jpg (from Ed's site)

If I'm interpretting things correctly, you could use the Common Man's Jacket pattern, the Breeches and Slops pattern, and the Accessories pattern to achieve this effect.

Unfortunately, I don't have a pattern for "Bonny and Read's Outfits", but that's because what they wear is so much like the men's outfits.

Ed? Care to weigh in?

What would you call the hooded overcoat that A and B are wearing in this pic (circa 1700btw) and will you be doing a pattern for one?

Frenchseamen1.jpg

Those look to be "capotes", made of Whitney blankets and were worn during the winters during the F&I Wars, the Revolution, and even earlier. Panther Primitives sells them, and unless I am terribly mistaken, so does Crazy Crow Trading Post. B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I suspect that Maria was thinking of the Bonny and Read pictures from the first Dutch edition (1725) of the General History, judging by the boobs comment:

85757763.jpg85757690.jpg

Actually, I think having a few of our female pirates with their boobs out would be a good thing, but then I would (OK that's the third innuendo of mine on this thread, I don't know what's come over me today! Mind you, Kass isn't behaving herself much better... what IS IT about this thread?).

Since Bonny and Read were disguising themselves as men, and presumably just wearing men's clothes, I'd say that what you need is patterns for a man's jacket and trousers (you doing 1720s trousers Kass?) and a shirt.

Oh, and I want the common women's patterns so there's no excuses when I tell the common women I hang around with to get dressed (OK, that's four. Off for a cold shower or something...)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I suspect that Maria was thinking of the Bonny and Read pictures from the first Dutch edition (1725) of the General History, judging by the boobs comment:

85757763.jpg85757690.jpg

Actually, I think having a few of our female pirates with their boobs out would be a good thing, but then I would (OK that's the third innuendo of mine on this thread, I don't know what's come over me today! Mind you, Kass isn't behaving herself much better... what IS IT about this thread?).

Since Bonny and Read were disguising themselves as men, and presumably just wearing men's clothes, I'd say that what you need is patterns for a man's jacket and trousers (you doing 1720s trousers Kass?) and a shirt.

Yep that's the one. According to the trial transcripts an eyewitness, Dorothy Thomas describes Reed & Bonney wearing a man's shirt, trousers, men's coat and thier hair ited into kercheifs.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

(except I don't want my boobs a bout to fall out of my shirt B) ).

And you, the soul of indecency..........

Got to try harder, Lass. :P

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

It's all my fault, Ed! I take full responsibility. I inspire naughtiness. It's my curse... B)

I wasn't planning on doing trowsers but... Trowsers in the 1720s, huh? They could fit in the Breeches and Slops pattern.

I ought to invite you to take your punishment for being a wicked girl, but I don't know if my constitution will stand a fifth...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

I know my constitution could stand a fifth. You buyin'? Your choice: a fifth of vodka, a fifth of rum or a fifth of whiskey! B)

Oh, well if we're talking rum then my constitution knows no bounds! You have one fifth, I'll have the other four.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Other than the contrasting linning and cuffs..... I would have guessed that they were capotes ... a long coat made from a blanket....

Where and when is that picture from ?

Dang.... there were two more pages after I read the Foxe's post.... I gotta pay more attention to the little numbers at the bottem of the page..........

Ed, Kass, and anyone else who cares...

Isn't the 1720s "trouser" just a long version of the standard slops? How would they be cut and sewn differently I wonder?....

Here is another wonder

85753617.jpg

Look at the figure on the far left... he is wearing trousers with some sort of pocket on the thigh...

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Wow! Interesting, Greg... Will wonders never cease?

I am of the same opinion as you on these trowsers: they look like long (and possibly a bit narrower) version of slops to me.

Anyone have any documentation to the contrary?

Patrick, don't worry about not reading to the bottom. I do it all the time myself!

Ed, you soooooo owe me a drink!

I would say the trousers are considerably narrower than the slops personally.

And I promise you a drink when you come to see me :)

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

What would you call the hooded overcoat that A and B are wearing in this pic (circa 1700btw) and will you be doing a pattern for one?

Frenchseamen1.jpg

Those look to be "capotes", made of Whitney blankets and were worn during the winters during the F&I Wars, the Revolution, and even earlier. Panther Primitives sells them, and unless I am terribly mistaken, so does Crazy Crow Trading Post. :ph34r:

I think you may have something there. They do resemble the capote very much. What say you Kass? The Rev. War version was a very easy garment to assemble. Cut from a large blanket, there were only simple shoulder seams. The hood was just a large rectangle folded in half, seamed down one end and attached at the neck and one piece sleeves. There was no real fit to the item, just thrown over your suit and belted or tied...Shame there is no profile.

Hector

The Historical Tailor

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Anyone have a link for 100% finely ribbed silk?

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/