Bucket Boots

Redd Oktober

Great Neptune's beard. I think most of us beginners be looking for affordable boots. well under $100.00. I don't have $150.00 to $300.00 to shell out just for boots. maybe later on as put away for that special purchase for my outfit.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arr, I hear what you be saying Scupper,

It took me more than 10 years of going to faires and events before I decided to spend the $300.00 on a good pair of solid boots.

I had tried the cheaper $80.00 route and was very unhappy with the quality or lack there of.

Found I was much better off showing off a pair of hoop stockings and a covered toe, Berkenstock clone sandal type shoe.

Say what size feet do you have?

me boots showed up today. They're not bad for beginner boots. They're black leather bucket boots that go uo mid calf. Good soles. Should last a while. Only thing is they have a zipper running the lenth of the inside. That wasn't in the description. But they're very good for only $25.00 plus shipping. Well mates. Affordable boots for us.

scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Arr that's what me problem with me first pair of pirate boots I bought. The web advertisement pictures didn't show any zippers and the names implied a Ren Fair & SCA affiliation. But the soles be real slippery plastic that hurt me feet something awful and the leather be real thin and smelled real chemical like, give me a bad headache every time I took 'em out. The ad had mentioned the zipper but had left me with the impression that it be hidden inside and visible from the outside, sort of like fishing waders. I went around and around with the vender for quit awhile until they finally got so annoyed by me I think they just gave up before I did and told me never to buy anything from them again.

I hear you Stynky. These are not bad. I've worn them none stop for the last 2 days. (my days off) And they're not bad. They be a bit tight at the top. It rained and they were slippery. I scuffed the bottom with sand paper and that seemed to solve it.

Scupper

Check these. I just got a set and they are really comfortable. I'll let you know about the durability after I wear them for halloween and check their durability in the days after. I at least need to save them for this year's halloween because I am not having another frozen feet halloween.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Haven't been happy with commercial boots yet. Most of them are just too damn soft/flimsy to stand up on their own. Best solution I've come up with is to get a good pair of shorter boots, cut the barrel off along the ankle stitching, and sew on a proper high barrel of good stiff leather. Last pair I had was built on a pair of standard Fry boots. They've lasted me close on 10 years but the shoes have finally cracked apart from being wet and dried so many times. Not to mention the gouges from the spurs.

Anyway, I think my next pair will be built on a pair of engineer boots. The flat sole will be a bit easier to fight on than the stacked heels of the Frys. Picked up a hide of 6-8 oz wax stuffed leather (think very heavy belt leather) at Pennsic that that will stand up uon its own. One of the projects for the winter while watching TV.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

ARRRRR! The sight o' a pair o' bucket boots on a pirate an' it'll all be over for this Lass!

Agreed, Rosalinda! Bucket boots, or rather, any tall pair o' boots on a pirate be enough fer me! :ph34r:

Fer the lasses, I ordered a pair of tall suede bootsfrom Chadwick's. They be cheap, and have a variety of boot styles. And now that it be nearin' winter, they'd be havin' more tall boots fer sale.

They're not 'zactly accurate, I know, but I am too poor after me hat to pay fer anythin' else! :ph34r: Also, I needed somethin' that matched Captain Jack's boot color and style, although now I believe 'is boots be normal brown bucket boots that've been worn enough so's they look like suede. Alls I need to do now is find some matching leather from me dad's work and stitch it on the bucket tops. Bah, I have ordered and returned around 3 pairs o' boots already tryin' to find perfect fits.

Captain Wolfy Wench

Ahoy there Master Hawkyns,

I for one would be very much interested in seeing some "in progress" images of your “engineer” to “bucket pirate boots”. That be if you don’t mind sharing all that cutting off at the ankles, stitching up and sewing over the winter with us.

I be knowing what you mean about the commercial boots being to soft and flimsy, you saw me boots when we be at Capt. Flints. Though I love ‘em dearly and wouldn’t change them for the world right now, especially for what I paid for ‘em. I often wonder just how long they will be around, how well they will wear given that that they be more for looks and not heavy duty at all.

Do you be ‘aving any close up images of yer retired or soon to be retired boots as they are – were ?

Pirata, and Jennifer: any interim reviews yet re those SCA boots?

Capt. William

I love mine. Feel great though I must admit that I would be weary of wearin them in a warm climate as they are hot on the feet.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Aye, I'll keep that in mind; I'm mostly in southern climes, and constantly overheated by nature and temperament!

Do any pirates on the list wear unaltered engineer boots with their pirate garb? Often, modern stuff that's built for hard use holds up better and feels better than deliberate reproductions.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

While thinking of heels I mostly think of women in 8" stilettos, the heels on the SCA Henry Boots is only about 3/4" and hardly noticable.

I gots me boots and still nothin...

Pirata, you are most surely living in an area where the women are blind. Or blind to men, at the least.

Most people want to be the sun to shine upon the brightest days.

I would rather be the moon to brighten up the darkest hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Didnt really know where to jump into this forae about boots, but I been wearin a pair of boots from a company called Buffalo Runner, out of Henyretta Texas, for fifteen years now----two sets of soles and an addition lately of a pair of hang me down cuffs, and they is still the best boots I have even had---cost is around one ninety, or two hundred, black or brown----I think they have a website, I think--who knows I become old in the time since I bought them.

I also have a pair of fugawee shoes, with buckles that I love----cost is a lot cheaper, but they make do with the high sock and shoe look.

Just thought I would throw that out---I aint got stock in any of them companies, LOL

Ren boots I have seen, for me are two silly looking, two thin leather, or just plain hurt me feet. but then again---it is hard fitting the one leg, since it be a whale bone, hehehe

Andre LeClerc

Certainly fighting to keep

the master of the St. Vitas Dance

"When in the midst of heaving, shipboard fightin, my old pappie use to say----If you aint cheatin, you aint tryin"

Arr, well lets see them. Do you have pictures to share?

Mousier Tudor,

Indeed I can take one of them new fangled things called a lithograph, but bein that I be uneducated and havin been in the third grade twice---I might need a bit of help posting them, do I need to have the shots on a website of mine, and can I post the pictures here, or do they need to be in the pub picture area.

Any of my years of plunder, I am glad to share pictures of--just need that (I am stupid with puter help) advice, LOL

Andre LeClerc

somewhat ignorant master

of the St. Vitas Dance.

"When in the midst of heaving, shipboard fightin, my old pappie use to say----If you aint cheatin, you aint tryin"

Well you do be needing a place on the internet that you be calling home port, were you can put and store your picture stuffs. So the answer be yes, you need a place, an internet website to put your pictures on and then have the message board point to with the {option} command. (berp)

You could try uploading directly to the Photo Album part of the Pub but I don't think that there be any way to call on them or display them here once they are there. . .

Send me a PM, Personal Message and I'll do me best to help you if you need it.

And man no matter what, don't be calling yourself stupid out here in public like that. Someone might hear and see us talking together and think oddly of us, or me anyway.

Besides (berp) some say there be pyrates a foot, really.

Did I answer your question? (berp)

Boots.jpg

Boot1.jpg

Avast, here goes an attempt at postin these hear boots of mine?

AndreLeClerc.jpg

An that be me wearin them boots at a port we braced in early this year---at least I think it was this year---the crew stayed drunk the whole time.

Andre LeClerc

Well worn master of the

St. Vitas Dance

:huh:

Boots.jpg

Boot1.jpg

Avast, here goes an attempt at postin these hear boots of mine?

AndreLeClerc.jpg

An that be me wearin them boots at a port we braced in early this year---at least I think it was this year---the crew stayed drunk the whole time.

Andre LeClerc

Well worn master of the

St. Vitas Dance

Well, that didnt work, LOL

On to port side Plan B?

Andre LeClerc

trying to figure out this HTML

master of the St. Vitas Dance