Would You Dress Above Your "Station"

blackjohn

As a pirate, living under a sentence of death, given the chance to "upgrade" your clothes to something better, would you?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. As a pirate, living under a sentence of death, given the chance to "upgrade" your clothes to something better, would you?

• Yes, and I'd go hogwild
    • Yes, within reason
    • Maybe, if the need arose
    • No, because clothes don't make the man (or woman)
    • No, I'm fine with what I have

Great question. Finally, a good poll on this site. What, no "if I were a vegetable what would I be?"

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Thanks Hurricane.

Christine, my apologies if the wording was awkward. The question popped into my head just as I was getting ready to hit the sack. So I was in a hurry, and I imagine the cold medicine didn't help either...

Here's what I was driving at.

You are a pirate.

It is the Golden Age of Pyracy - 17teens.

Since you are a pirate, you and your kind live under the shadow of a death sentence.

After capturing a prize, the opportunity presents itself to "obtain" a nicer wardrobe, from someone of a higher class.

Would you?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Wait, so you mean, yer being sentenced to death and yer given the chance to change yer clothes?  Change them to something different?  B)   Why would it matter, yer going to die anyway.

I think the intent is that being an active pirate you are under the threat of death if you are caught...so why not dress in the plundered clothes you take from your victims.

Keep what you take....Give nothing back!

pirateflag1.gif

KP

Sure do... as my life expectancy/and pirate career is only going to be a few months anyway, why not...

And another poll would be

If you were an upperclass citizen, would you take passage on an undermaned undergunned merhhant ship in waters known to be infested with pirates risking my life and my expensive clothes?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Havin' thrown off the conventions of a repressive society anyway, and having bettered my economic status through the forced reassignment of wealth, I would certainly dress better, even if I purchased the clothes with me plunder.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

If born to the lower strata of society I think the natural inclination would be to seize what you could and present yourself of a higher social rank, if even to mock that portion of society. As a "have not" if I could have, then "why not."

I think that's the nature now. Look at New Orleans. People were stealing better clothes, home items and electronics in the middle of a catastrophe when the opportunity offered itself. I'm not sure pirates would be any different, particularly with a short lifespan. Live life large while ya can!

-- Huricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Hurricane has it right. If offered a finer shift of clothing, take it and flaunt it. Stuff it right in their uppercrusty faces, defiant to the end, as if to say "Look! Even the damned can dress as well as you!" Take 'em down a peg or two, I say!

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

me thinks I would, but only wear when goin ashore. Now, I am putting Myself and MY personality in the 17teens, but..

I believe in utilitarianism. I wouldnt give up me me slops or shirt if they were in workin order. But i may take somthin fer when they wear out. The Fineries would be reserved fer wenchin (Sort of the 18th century equivalent of a Ferrari). I Says, Ifn I dont need, I dont wear it, I Sell it

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

Yes I would up grade. Most clothes that pyrates wore were taken from others, but if you live that life the clothes don't look new for long. Most pictures may be clothes that did at one time look much better then they do now.

I try to think like a pyrate, and I would not try to dress in clothes that looked pyratey, I would be thinking its clothes, I'm the pyrate, but my life style will soon change the way the clothes look, so after a while all my clothes would look the way they do in the pictures, not from want but from wear and tear.

With that said, I would not choose to wear anything that would limit (to tight, long ect...) my ability to do my job, what ever that may be.

Delmar

Thanks Hurricane.

Christine, my apologies if the wording was awkward. The question popped into my head just as I was getting ready to hit the sack. So I was in a hurry, and I imagine the cold medicine didn't help either...

Here's what I was driving at.

You are a pirate.

It is the Golden Age of Pyracy - 17teens.

Since you are a pirate, you and your kind live under the shadow of a death sentence.

After capturing a prize, the opportunity presents itself to "obtain" a nicer wardrobe, from someone of a higher class.

Would you?

That makes more sense now-lol!

Aye, I would! Pirates always did that and I would too. :)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

i figure if i plunder it i got a right to do what ever i want and if i feel like prancing around in a high class getup i'm entitled

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

But of course! The peacock tendancies in me say bring on the brocade and velvet!!

( And historicly speaking, wearing finery when ashore amongst the local gentry was always known to get under their skin...just a bit. Rather like poking them with a stick.)

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.