Would You Dress Above Your "Station"

blackjohn

As a pirate, living under a sentence of death, given the chance to "upgrade" your clothes to something better, would you?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. As a pirate, living under a sentence of death, given the chance to "upgrade" your clothes to something better, would you?

• Yes, and I'd go hogwild
    • Yes, within reason
    • Maybe, if the need arose
    • No, because clothes don't make the man (or woman)
    • No, I'm fine with what I have

What Hurricane said is not only logical and timeless, it's documentable historically. I've been reading a book called "1700 -- Scenes of London Life" and there are quotes in there complaining about how you can't tell who is the maid and who is the mistress because servants are starving themselves in order to dress above their station. Instead of buying functional clothing that will last, they are spending their meat money on imported silks and the latest fashions. Of course then the fashionable upper class are changing fashions as quickly as they can in an effort to stay "ahead" of the lower orders.

For me, damn right I'd dress above my station! My character is a procuress. The better I look, the better I can tempt the young country girls to come work for me. The better we dress, the higher-class clientelle we attract.

But personally, for me it's all about the clothes. Always. I do lower class in alot of different time periods. But when I can justify dressing above my station (and I can afford the materials to do it well and not look like your grandmother's old couch), I do it in spades!

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Thanks for taking this unscientific survey. I'm suprised by the results. I was expecting a bell curve. Fascinating.

The point of the story has been told. Kass hit the nail on the head when she mentioned 1700 Scenes Of London Life. There was a very brisk trade in "used" clothing in London during the period. Used clothing of the wealthier classes was working its way down to lower classes. Making a leap from lower classes in London buying second hand clothes to English pirates stealing fancier clothes doesn't seem too extraordinary to me.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'm a maybe answer. It depends on what I needed to justify my need. If I wanted to avoid the public eye, I would dress as a commoner. If I wanted to gain funding for a new ship, I would dress as if I didn't need it. If I wanted to sail away, I would do it in the most comfortable clothes I owned. Like I said, maybe. :lol:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's what I was driving at.

You are a pirate.

It is the Golden Age of Pyracy - 17teens.

Since you are a pirate, you and your kind live under the shadow of a death sentence.

After capturing a prize, the opportunity presents itself to "obtain" a nicer wardrobe, from someone of a higher class.

Would you?

Of course I would, after all the I just obtain enough money to by a nice peice of land, if I can keep it long enough, and I with the finest silks and linens as well as any other prize from the East India Company or any other fancy trading outpost I could plunder , the clothes would hvae to say I have lots of Money and Power.

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

Great question. Finally, a good poll on this site. What, no "if I were a vegetable what would I be?"

-- Hurricane

Eggplant!

a butter bean!

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

No, I'm fine with what I have

Stupid Question presuposes Eye was'nt already dressed for the execution dock

pirate.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

ye might not be within the actual cell waitin fer a hangin and all be it that which defines the legacy we all fall within then man. Under the shroud of certain death is life itself each step takin us closer to the end all local "the grave". Aye one does expect that bein better dressed would have it's merits amongst those with cares in the afterlife but it aint gonna impress the likes o saint peter don't ya know. So we be asked ifin we would take a nice pair a slops in a certain beetter fabrique than ours own or mayhaps trade in me gillies fer a nice fittin pairs a boots? sure ifin the shoe fits, wears it I been told since birth......

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Interesting question.....

Is the other clothing better made than what I have... is it warmer..... am I just making fun of my "hee heeeee----- "Betters"... or is all that just a modern view of life back then..........

Right now... I do dress up nicly when I have to...... but what I wear day to day.... black jeans and tee-shirt..... isn't exactly "better" dressing......