Swag fer Yer Quarters...

Deadeye

Nice Stuff. I like the sea chest they are selling the plans for. I almost bought one just like it at Pennsic. They wanted $300.00. I figured I would try to make one on my own this winter. That will make it easer if I get the plans. The bell ropes are great. I never saw such a variety. Thanks for the site.

François

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

That's some of the finest rope knotting I've seen in a long time! WOW!

There's lots of good books on how to do it yourself. As for sea chests, they can be expensive to buy already made, but do it yourself for a lot cheaper!

Best buy, a child's toy chest unfinished (check out Michael's craft stores) or one you can put together yourself (check out places like Dixie Lumber, Home Depot or other good places similar). Works great!

And if you're really lucky, check thrift stores!

wow... I really have to start making stuff to sell.

I was taught rope work by a Petty Officer who was in the navy for 34years.

Been doing rope for years now. Monkey fist Christmas tree ornaments are easy to do.... You can use them for cat toys too.

I've done lots of rope work for friends rapiers. Turks heads and other whipping. My scabbard is done with French spiral hitching the compete length. That gets lots of attention. I make lanyards too

My doublets have monkey fist buttons too.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

I see I'm not the only one who makes things out of neccessity. I have several weapons displayed in my home and everyone ooh's and aah's over my tomahawks and says I should sell them...blah blah blah. But the real reason I started making 'em is because I couldn't afford 300 bucks for a real hand forged one :ph34r:

The knotwork sounds interesting. I always thought monkey fist sounded like a funny name.

Don't raise ye' eybrows at me mates, but I was watchin ol' spongebob tha other day and it were the episode where The Flyin' Dutchman were showin' spongebob how to tie knots. Aye, ol' spongebob be one of me favorites :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've done lots of rope work for friends rapiers. Turks heads and other whipping. My scabbard is done with French spiral hitching the compete length. That gets lots of attention. I make lanyards too

Bein a bit of a 'Spiker meself, o' course this site held interest fer me. I have a habit of tyin a bit around e'erything I find. Drives the wench bonkers, it does! But aye, it's a hobby, and a cheap on at that, says I.

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

I used to do "ropework for beer" back in my university days. The Engineer's pub sold plastic mugs you could get your beer in. They looked like stines and were 2oz bigger than the cups they sold the sweet water of life in. Over time you would make you quid back and then some.

My mug and those of my friends were always smartly decorated with ropework. Mine had whiping down the handle leading into a length ending in a noose. At the end of the night I could slip the noose around my wrist, preventing it's lose due to drunkeness.

I had lengths of line in my jacket at all times. Payment for work on a mug was a pitcher of beer. Worked well. After a while a good amount of the patron's mugs had my work.

Of course you had to wash the mugs more carfully, and more often.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Of course you had to wash the mugs more carfully, and more often.

with my Hemp and cotton work, such as on my Drinkin horn and other things that need regular washin or exposing to elements, i like to wax them. One of the best things i have found to use, and cheapest, is white surfboard wax. rub a good coating on then work in with your fingers and it will tack up and become not only pretty and waterproof, but makes for nice thermal protection.

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...