You in yar garb.

Pirate Petee

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts on eyelets....

(I figure there won't be enough post to start a new thread for this so I'll post it here....)

If someone knows what is period, and what is not, they can decide for themselves how they want to make something ...

But by taking the extra time to poke the holes, and stitching around the eyelets, they will look better, hold better, and they won't have to worry about "Garb Falure"..... B)

Thank you Patrick for your insight...always looking for better ways to improve on a theme...so to speak.

I found out last night that a metal knitting needle works wonderful for poking holes.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

well!!! that looks more like a trophy case as opposed to a shelf lass ........lovely B)

B)B)B)

;) Thanks...getting a man's point of view is very helpful indeed. Do you like them? Got them this past winter and don't know what to do with them!

Anyway...ladies...the sensation should feel like 'they' have been pushed in and up!

Comments...suggestions? :D

Member of "The Forsaken"

That's really wonderful Cheeky, and I love the color. You have inspired me to try creating my own and adding boning..though the idea of doing such myself is scary. But you do not know what you can do till you try it first. Mine too will be made in scraps..I have enough of a pale pink wool that I will try out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Pale pink wool sounds lovely! I must admit...had it not been for my twin answering a 'ton' of questions, I may have just shucked the idea all together.

Now that the proto-types are out of the way...off to do the fancy demask!

Member of "The Forsaken"

Four?!  Really?!  Okay...Lockhouse, RF2, POC3, Port Washington, MacTown?  - Is this right?

BTW, lovely shot of you down near your name.  Was that taken recently?

I didn't count Macktown since we were there as spectators, not participants. I did forget POTC3 though, and counted Sock Monkey fest instead. So 5 is right, 2/3's historic thus far (ahh math again B) )

Thanks for the compliment on the photo. Mssr William took that at Fort St. Joesph a few weeks ago. I just sat still and edited out the nasty orange fence from the background.

Anyway...ladies...the sensation should feel like 'they' have been pushed in and up!

Comments...suggestions?

wouldn't know that feeling. Then again I try to keep things, well, contained B)

Is there no boning on the tabs? How does that sit around your hips? No digging in or anything?

I'm sensing a red theme, red stays, red mantua. Want to borrow my red cloak B)

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

[Anyway...ladies...the sensation should feel like 'they' have been pushed in and up!
I will have no neck! :lol:
:P Think of it this way...you'll have a place to put your mug!
A mug? Nay, tankard ...and a plate of cheese! :lol:

cheeky i'd love to make suggestions as what you could do with those trophies ....but i think i'd have serveral folks more than a bit p*ssed with me :lol::P:lol: .....again i think i'll just stay with "lovely!!!"

Not to worry, her husband does not frequent the Pub! :P:P

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

CrazyCholeBlack,Jul 8 2007, 01:17 PM]

Thanks for the compliment on the photo. Mssr William took that at Fort St. Joesph a few weeks ago. I just sat still and edited out the nasty orange fence from the background.

What nasty orange fence?!  See, your good!  Very lovely shot, indeed.  We will have to make sure we get more of you and your little one at Pike River.  Comments...suggestions?

Is there no boning on the tabs? How does that sit around your hips? No digging in or anything?

There is boning in the tabs, but I must have not made them long enough. And no...no digging in the hips.

I'm sensing a red theme, red stays, red mantua. Want to borrow my red cloak :lol:

Yikes! Watch out people...she's on a roll!

Member of "The Forsaken"

I got a shelf!

WOH.... I hadda pick-up an' put me eyeballs back in after that picture.....

....eyelets.... there were eyelets somewhere ..... hummm.... somehow I didn't notice....... :lol:

Sorry about that Patrick. :lol::P

The grommets/eyelets have been covered.

Yes, 'they' would be 'covered' by 'neckerchief, mantua and stomacher.

The idea was to show everyone the cut of the stay and how they laid.

Sorry if I may have cause someone to loose one's lunch!

Member of "The Forsaken"

A mug?  Nay, tankard ...and a plate of cheese!  :lol:

:P:lol: I know of a woman who is from IN (who I hope to see at Paynestown event).

She is quite 'amble' and tall. She has always had a battle with her figure. At one Wild West event she won first prize for placing a serving tray upon herself, a bottle of whiskey and a full rock glass of the stuff! It was impressive to say the least.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Ok so were Jumps period correct for women?  And if so..The stays Cheeky created..could a similar design be used to create such?

Early 18th century jumps

Jumps

jumps.jpg

1720s embroidered jumps

embroidered_jumps_side.jpg

embroidered_jumps.jpg

Jumps: "Type of underbodice worn by women, usually fitted to the bust; often used instead of stays. From 1740 on commonly used in plural form ( a pair of jumps)

An Elegant Art, pg. 229

Jumps : Woman's soft bodice without boning, usually worn at home instead of a corset...

Revolution in Fashion 1715-1815 pg 162

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Good question, and have no clue... now men could wear their banyans within their shops and actually go to other shops within their close area as long as they were "equals"... ie... I would never wear my banyan when calling upon my better...

Crewe of the Archangel

I think we have attended two fantasy events only so far...

;) out of how many total? Last I counted "your" crew has done 4 events total in their 1 year of existence. (Don't you love statistics ;) )

Truly, Madame...It would appear that you have entirely too much time on your hands if you go to the effort of keeping track of trivialities such as the statistics noted...And I might add that they are just a hair off target. ;);) Perhaps you might focus on something of more import. ;)

And as a kindly nudge in the proper direction regarding the "your crew". Capitaine Sterling is the initial organizer of Archangel and does have final say upon designated decisions. The entity afore mentioned, has existed longer than your noted "year" and as I do recall, you have only been affiliated a number of months. Tsk, tsk. **sly grin and wink**

All of the "Officers" have been selected by Le Capitaine, further showing who holds sway...Though in the overall, the entity is of democratic philosophies. I would assume that you know all of this already, but I did error in my judgments....once....a very long time ago....**smirk**

All efforts and contributions are acknowledged and given due laurels...It makes the whole that much better. **doffs chapeau with flourished bow** We all are aware of our place and station, non? ;)

Now, do run along to herd your Merchants as is your place in the scheme of things....My, my, is that the sun setting? And which beach head was the "landing"? Pardon moi....I have to speak to a gentleman in regards to a horse...or duex...or trois. ;)

Back to your regularly scheduled program! ;)

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg