You in yar garb.

Pirate Petee

aye capt but as i recall from some museum research years ago some eyelets were reenforced with bone rings sewn inside the holes and whipstiched into place but those were done in the ECW period ...not in the GAOP but i doubt they lost the technology in 45 years

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh now this I would LIKE very much to see... English Civil War you say?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Okay just so all you ladies know.. metal eyelets are not pc...

But this isn't Twill, so being 1690-1720 correct isn't the goal of the thread. For fantasy garb grommets are great, fast & cheap.

Like Callenish, I've seen reference to the rings being sewn with the eyelets for reenforcement. Although I can't imagine in normal situations that would be needed. Personally I'd make sure the stays were fitted properly and not repeatedly tight laced if I was having trouble with regular eyelets before moving to something else.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I thought small iron rings sewn in were period.... just not the "pound-in" eyelets.......

Sewing over the (non-period) eyelets, made then look period enough for all but the most "rabid" reenactors.....

Kinda like machine sewing the hidden seams but hand finishing all visible seams.... :P

Personally I'd make sure the stays were fitted properly and not repeatedly tight laced if I was having trouble with regular eyelets before moving to something else.

Easier said than done when you have events in the interim.

Additionally not having seen stays up close and personal except the ones I have made I don't know how they are suppose to fit an 'above average' such as myself. All the stays pictured are for smaller women. Additionally, I had not read about the correct placement of holes on the spiral lacing of a corset that makes for additional stress on the eyelets so I have to correct that also.

i also have to say, misstress lilly's corset is pretty spectacular. it's a gorgeous red, and i don't generally even LIKE red.

and covering the grommets with thread is such a great idea. i wish that more people did it or atleast offered it as an option. sometimes the bright silver dots distract...

61jctci.jpg

Okay just so all you ladies know.. metal eyelets are not pc...

But this isn't Twill, so being 1690-1720 correct isn't the goal of the thread. For fantasy garb grommets are great, fast & cheap.

Aye I certainly agree with you in regards to the placement of the thread... but no one in my crew better be wearing fantasy garb unless they are attending a fantasy event... our goal is pc first, fantasy WAAAAYY after that...I think we have attended two fantasy events only so far... and no, not everyone in the crew is pc just yet, but I would much rather see them working on getting it correct first... I cannot see people wasting money on fantasy garb first as it will not hold at LH events...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I thought small iron rings sewn in were period.... just not the "pound-in" eyelets.......

Sewing over the (non-period) eyelets, made then look period enough for all but the most "rabid" reenactors.....

Kinda like machine sewing the hidden seams but hand finishing all visible seams.... B)

I believe either Foxe or someone else did speak about this for reinforcing canvas, but I haven't heard Kass speak about it being common for ladies' corset...

Crewe of the Archangel

i saw this on two period pieces in the glasgow museum in the mid-sixties and also one in the tower museum in london also in the sixties ....it's been 40 years but i recall that because we were doing costumning for a film while i was in the royal academy in london ........the one example i recall vividly was on the shoulders of a laced sleeve doublet and the second piece i remember was an elaborately embroidered bodice done in a saffron silk.

Mistress Silkie,

You look breathtaking in those photos! Very pretty indeed! And Mistress Cheeky, that is wonderful work on your stays! I like the method in which you will hide the grommets. Outstanding work! My hat's off to both ye ladies! B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

...the one example i recall vividly was on the shoulders of a laced sleeve doublet and the second piece i remember was an elaborately embroidered bodice done in a saffron silk.

Thank you Callenish/Chole for your information.

...And thank you Captain Midnight for the compliment.

but no one in my crew better be wearing fantasy garb unless they are attending a fantasy event... our goal is pc first, fantasy WAAAAYY after that...

Captain,

In regard to the stays I am currently working on...it is just that...a work in progress. Materials are seconds...scraps, if you will, which do fine in a pinch. Consider it a mock up or proto-type. Also, There have been several members of the crew who have asked me to 'dress' them in a pinch. Though we are less than a year old and hitting the ground running, items such as these stays will help out (depending on the person(s) in question - size and such). With everyone wanting to go to events, but don't have the time to sew...I'll help out where I can.

I do agree that they not perfect (and when I mean perfect, I mean Period Correct), but I rather work on scraps and such then on high end material. My goal is to be Period Correct (as is the goal of our Crew), but sometimes, people have to go at there own pace.

That's why Stays #2 are cut out and ready to go!

Will post these when I am done...so we can compare the two.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Personally I'd make sure the stays were fitted properly and not repeatedly tight laced if I was having trouble with regular eyelets before moving to something else.

Easier said than done when you have events in the interim.

Additionally not having seen stays up close and personal except the ones I have made I don't know how they are suppose to fit an 'above average' such as myself. All the stays pictured are for smaller women. Additionally, I had not read about the correct placement of holes on the spiral lacing of a corset that makes for additional stress on the eyelets so I have to correct that also.

Additionally, I had not read about the correct placement of holes on the spiral lacing of a corset that makes for additional stress on the eyelets so I have to correct that also.

^^ Does this change the layout of teh pattern for said garments?

.......think i shall crawl back to my chemises and petticoats....for now B)

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Thank ye Mistress Silkie

still think to crawl back to chemises and petticoats though

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

i saw this on two period pieces in the glasgow museum in the mid-sixties and also one in the tower museum in london also in the sixties ....it's been 40 years but i recall that because we were doing costumning for a film while i was in the royal academy in london ........the one example i recall vividly was on the shoulders of a laced sleeve doublet and the second piece i remember was an elaborately embroidered bodice done in a saffron silk.

Okay bodices and sleeves but not corsets? Question, any chance that these rings were called something other than metal eyelets, as the only info I am finding on metal eyelets regarding corsets is their appearance in 1828.

Crewe of the Archangel

Thoughts on eyelets....

(I figure there won't be enough post to start a new thread for this so I'll post it here....)

If someone knows what is period, and what is not, they can decide for themselves how they want to make something ...

Even the most outlandish, Most Hollywood garb needs eyelets that will "hold"...

The little metal "pound in" eyelets arn't period, And if they are not put in right, they pull out way too quickly.....

I think there is something in one of Janet Arnold's books about metal rings, to re-enforce eyelets, but I'll have to get it outta storage (also, I may be thinking of how hook and eyes were sewn in....)

Anyway.... to make eyelets that won't pull out....

First, if possible, DON'T punch or cut the hole for them.... Use an awl to push the cloth's threads out of the way ... I don't know if an ice pick would make a large enough hole... I ground down an old screwdriver to make a tapered awl that I use to poke holes for eyelets.... (and it will go through a lot of layers of fabric...)

I don't use any re-enforcement around eyelets, I just button-hole stitch them.... They hold well, because the fabric's threads have not ben cut.

If you are using the "pound in" eyelets, by poking the hole, and stitching around them, they wont pull out, and they look nicer.... Just be aware that the threads used to stitch the eyelet in will take up some of the inside space..... And sence they are covered with thread, no one but the most rabid authentic will even know they are there....... B)

The Authentics will argue a little more about exactly how period eyelets were made, The Fantacy/Hollywood Pyrates can just use the "pound in" eyelets... But by taking the extra time to poke the holes, and stitching around the eyelets, they will look better, hold better, and they won't have to worry about "Garb Falure"..... B)

I think we have attended two fantasy events only so far...

B) out of how many total? Last I counted "your" crew has done 4 events total in their 1 year of existence. (Don't you love statistics B) )

The most important thing when it comes to garb isn't being perfectly period correct, or being perfectly pure fantasy, since neither are really possible. The MOST important thing is being comfortable and HAPPY with your garb. From the looks of the pictures posted here, everyone has managed to do that, bravo. B)

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

So cheeky ...how many pairs of stays do you own? How many have you made? I'm still working on getting a pattern for the 'above average' woman worked out.

How many stays? Pick a century B)

No honestly, these are the first pair that I have actually made myself.

I have about three (3) corsets from the mid-late 1880s (I do Wild West) and I have several other stays from the mid-to-late 1700s, which have been given to me by the Captain, my twin and such.

I've always been somewhat 'gun shy' on trying to make such things.

But my sister helped me out a lot with layout and shape, it's also good to know that she had a "professional corset maker' on speed dial when we hit a techincal question.

Member of "The Forsaken"

B) out of how many total? Last I counted "your" crew has done 4 events total in their 1 year of existence. (Don't you love statistics B) )

Four?! Really?! Okay...Lockhouse, RF2, POC3, Port Washington, MacTown? - Is this right?

And thank you Chole for you words of encouragement. Always nice to hear kodos!

BTW, lovely shot of you down near your name. Was that taken recently?

Member of "The Forsaken"

Actually crew members have attended 9, no not every member of the crew, but if we are going to count... and am I to assume by the use of "your" crew that you no longer count yourself a member?

Crewe of the Archangel