movie quotes game

Fancy

Ok, here's a few easy ones from a great movie. (Someone still has to guess the other one, though. Anyone?)

"Well, go on, it's merely a lift. Or perhaps I should say elevator."

"If God had wanted man to fly..."

"He would have given him wings, Mr. ____"

You guys skipped those...c'mon, they're easy.

Boy, if Diego doesn't know it I may as well spill. It's from a movie called Donovan's Reef with Marvin, John Wayne and Ceasar Romero. Well worth watching if you happen to see it flit by on AMC, Diego. I'm not a huge Wayne fan, but that was a fun movie. I hesitated to put it in the mix because I knew you couldn't find the quote on-line. (Slows this post down something terrible when that happens.)

Jill: Dogma. Best quote from Dogma:

"I give you...The Buddy Christ! Now that's not the sanctioned term we're using for the symbol, just something we've been kicking around the office, but look at it. Doesn't it...pop?"

Somewhere I have a Buddy Christ statue...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

:lol: Everyone's ignoring my quotes from DAF. Oh, well.

Dogma is not what I would choose to see if I were checking out a Kevin Smith movie. If you're want to try his movies either see Chasing Amy (if you like "serious" movies) or Mall Rats (if you like WB cartoons). Clerks is also worth a gander. Er, put the kids to bed first. Gobs of adult themes and language.

I don't know what that's from, Fancy. It reminds me of another quote (from Ghostbusters), though.

"Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?"

"Ah, if there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

No, the movie was not McClintoc, it was Donovan's Reef. It's a comedy with John Wayne as the lead. I doubt I've seen the movie you're quoting, Fancy. It doesn't ring any bells.

DAF = Diamonds Are Forever It was an interesting movie. It really started the whole idea of Bond spoofing himself, which Moore carried on (some would say to extremes).

I liked the movie because it was so self-deprecating, especially for a Connery movie... The real fun were the two killers Wint and Kidd (who are dramatic departures from the book - but it works fairly well in the context of the movie). They got most of the good lines. Well, except for the absurd, "I was just out walking my rat and I seem to have lost my way."

The big problem with DAF was the character of Tiffany Case as played by Jill St. John. Why they didn't use the über female character Tiffany Case as portrayed in the book is beyond me. Well, ok, it wouldn't have fit the light tone of the movie, but still... (Dear Barbara: Please get your writers to resurrect the literary Tiffany Case character in some form for future Bond movies. Love, Mission)

Actually, I'd sort of like to see them re-make DAF following the source material. I would even go so far as to set it in the 1950's - they're allowed to do that in movies. It is my favorite Bond novel - mostly because of Tiffany Case's wonderful character and lines. But I digress...

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mission dear laddy with memory of an elephant! Mc Clintoc too starred John Wayne along wit Maureen O'Harra and took place in the west wit much Ire slang havin been flung. But I felt as though John Wayne be correct jes couldn't place the movie. My bad

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Ok... I'm following now.

I agree, you do have the memory of an elephant! but now you've got me wanting to see DAF. :)

The movie I've quoted is Gothika, just saw it yesterday, and that's the only quote I actually remembered from it.

Fancy

I agree, you do have the memory of an elephant! but now you've got me wanting to see DAF. :)

Well...for some things. Remember, I warned you about Jill St. John. Blah. (Wint and Kidd are worth the price of admission, though.)

"The scorpion..."

"One of nature's finest killers, Mr Kidd."

"One is never too old to learn from a master, Mr. Wint."

"Tell me, Commander, how far does your expertise extend into the field of diamonds?"

"Well, hardest substance found in nature, they cut glass, suggest marriage, I suppose it replaced a dog as a girl's best friend. That's about it."

:blink:

(You don't need to see it, I can recite the whole thing for you, Fancy. Horrible waste of memory, that.)

Did'ja know that the cartoon Kid's Next Door has parody characters of Wint and Kidd called Mr Wink and Mr Pibb? Too funny (especially given the source material).

New Quote

Let's try a new quote (from a great, if somewhat depressing, movie). It's tangentally related to the above movie (if you stretch a bit):

"He's okay. Aren't you, Cat? Poor old Cat. Poor slob. Poor slob without a name. I don't have the right to give him one. We don't belong to each other. We just took up one day. I don't want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together. I'm not sure where that is, but I know what it's like. "

Mission_banner5.JPG

Yes, Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Okay, here's one:

"Don't you love your country?"

"Yes, I do, sir."

"Then how about getting with the program?  Why don't you jump on the team and come in for the big win?"

Jill, your quote sounds like it's from a modern Vietnam movie where we're being shown how bad a pro-war officer is by the nature of his cliches. Alas, the only such movie I've seen is Apocolypse Now and I know it isn't from that.

(I thought Apocolypse Now was so awful that I refused to watch any remotely similar 'Nam movies including Born on the 4th of July or the widely acclaimed Deer Hunter...

What the heck was the point of Apocolypse Now? Other than proselytizing, of course... Yuck. Give me war movies like Patton where, even if he's flawed, there's a hero to root for. I don't go to the movies to get political messages thrown at me underhand, I go to be entertained! Isn't that what movies are for? Well, unless you're making documentaries and then I don't know what movies are for because I don't watch documentaries, either.

Well, I don't watch documentaries other than ones about pirates, of course. Not that there have been any good documentaries about pirates recently. Oh, sure, the History Channel had some, but they got facts wrong all the time. Which leads me to wonder why the History Channel, of all channels, promotes itself as the History Channel if it can't get the "History" part right. Maybe it should be the Almost History Channel. Or the Nearly History Channel. Or the Just One Calorie, Not History Enough Channel. [Moderator's note: Ignore him, he's raving like a loon.]

Plus they have those funny re-enactment segments. What's up with that? That's not history, that's pretending to be history based on the four pages that Johnson devoted to a particular pirate. Better yet, they sometimes show photos from the period of things going on that are in no way related to the historical subject, other than through association. Like showing pictures of people in medical outfits from the early part of the century when they're talking about Jonas Salk.

And what was up with Walter Winchell when he started bashing Jonas Salk's polio vaccine? I mean, what does Walter Winchell know about polio or vaccines or the price of tea in China? Well, maybe he knows about the price of tea in China if it's news. "Today in China, Tea prices increased, causing butterflies to flap their wings in different patterns which lead to a Sou'Easter over Vermont. In other news..." But to claim that the government stored coffins around the country filled with kids who died from Salk's vaccine when he had no proof? Are we talking about Dan Rather or what? This is a pillar of the media community. Except he could move around. Pillars generally are stuck where they are stuck, right? So maybe Winchell isn't a pillar.

What was I talking about? Oh, yes, Vietnam movies. Won't watch 'em. Ok, off'n me soapbox now... :rolleyes: )

(No Fancy, I have not been drinking wine tonight. Must be all those chemicals from the paint stripping gunk I was using on my house tonight. I wonder if prolonged exposure over the course of weeks is dangerous? And I've still so far to go...)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Whine?

I think Fancy sort of cheated. :lol:

What's your new quote, Jill? You pretty much stumped us with that last one.

Mission_banner5.JPG

:lol: Pirate.

not wHine... wine... since you said you haven't been drinking some, then it appears you need to... :lol:

Mission, you will probably know this one.

"Will I see you tonight?"

"I never plan that far ahead."

Fancy

Um, Casablanca? Except I think it may be "I never make plans that far ahead."

"What on Earth brought you to Casablanca?"

"My health, I came to Casablanca for the waters."

"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert!"

"I was misinformed."

:lol: Lord, Rick has great lines. That is one fine movie!

Doesn't anyone appreciate a fine stream of consciousness rant anymore? You guys should have seen what I was going to post in Hetha's Noodling thread. :lol:

Ok, try this on for size:

"We came as strangers...soon we have friends. They come over. They sit with us. They drink with us. They talk to us. They tell us about the great big terrible things they've done and the great big wonderful things they're going to do. Their hopes, their regrets. Their loves, their hates. All very large, because nobody ever brings anything small into a bar. Then I introduce them to ______, and he's bigger and grander than anything they can offer me. When they leave, they leave impressed."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Close enough...it's from Harvey. Another fine movie. I heartily reccomend it to everyone.

Some more great quotes from Harvey

"I learnt the difference between a fine oil painting, and a mechanical thing, like a photograph. The photograph shows only the reality. The painting shows not only the reality, but the dream behind it."

"On they way out here, they sit back and enjoy the ride. They talk to me, some times we stop and watch the sunset, and look at the birds fly. And sometimes we stop and watch the bird when there ain't no birds. And look at the sunset when its raining. We have a swell time. And I always get a big tip."

"Oh, Myrtle, don't be didactic. It's not becoming in a young girl. Besides, men loathe it."

It's your turn, Jill!

Mission_banner5.JPG

It's been awhile - I could remember the line spoken by Jimmy Stewart, but had to eliminate every other movie of his I'd seen to get to that one.

Okay - for those of you who like odd movies:

Like, I don't want to cram in sex, or car chases, or guns. Or characters learning profound life lessons. Or growing or coming to like each other or overcoming obstacles to succeed in the end. Y'know? The book isn't like that. Life isn't like that. It just isn't. I feel very strongly about this.

RHJMap.jpg