Pirate Swords

Capt. Flint

I reckon the main thing with a sword is to first decide what sort or sorts of pirate you want to be, and then get the blades, etc. to play the part.

Fer instance...I want to outfit myself for a Baratarian (1815 era, New Orleans area), in order to be a living hisory reenactor. Here I could carry about any sort of blade from, say, the 1775 - 1815 era, but would want to keep my garb 1800 - 1815 looking.

But I'd also like to adopt a fun pirate persona. Here there'd be no reason not to adopt any style sword that looks good: from, say, 1650's - 1860's, and if my garb is of somewhat mismatched eras....well, it's all in fun!

Capt. William

:ph34r:

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings.

I fear I'm a bit late to the party.

The first is Sword Forum International. I know at least one of you is familiar with the place, as I've had a couple of good parleys with Red Maria there. I recall her telling us about the auction of Captain Tew's belongings, poor soul, may he rest in peace. I was able to find a picture at picture at Christie's of his elegant, if pricey, little strong box, but fear I never came up with a pic of the cutlass. Arrgh. <snip>

If you want to post, you'll have to register and are asked to do so with your real name (mine is Scott Bubar).

Hi Scott!

Welcome! I would have said hello sooner but I haven't been getting notifications of new posts for this thread even though I am subscribe to it.

Scott's right about about SFI it's a great site with fine knowlegable people on it. So check it out. You'll be glad you did.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Just got a nice 18th century style cutlass

and am wondering about baldrics for it.

Any suggestions from you all?

I believe it's the same style as Loyalist carries,

it has a nice black leather sheath with brass throat

and tip that came with it.

Cheers

Redhand

• 2 months later...

Arr though this probably best be talked about in it's own thread. I be looking around at baldrics fer some time now and have been coming to the conclusion to try making me own. Likely easier said than done, for the average price of a no frills baldric,I think they be running around $70. For that I can buy enough bulk leather, already cut into straps to make a half dozen or so baldrics or bandoliers. Of course after adding buckles, the time hand sewing, the time spent doing this and that, blah, blah, blah. I'm not sure there would be much profit in it even to sell them. And what kind of pirate life is that with out profit?

Well I be sticken me nose in agin...please don't cut it off.....I be makin Baldricks and the such.... just finished me own with the holster fer me wheellock on the front.....If ye have a special design or needs let me know and I be lettin ye know what I kin do...and have it ready for PIP...

darkRose

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

I've made up me mind (what passes fer one) to buy a cutlass from Middlesex Village Trading Companie.

For $89 + shipping, they have what looks to be a nice, authentic straight bladed cutlass that will do right nicely for the 1815 impression I have in mind.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Stynky and mates:

I be makin' me own, non-accurate baldric by purchasin' two belts and hookin' em together so's they can pass over me shoulder to me hip. Now, there be no way to properly attach me sword or pistols to it but I be a Halloween pirate and only needs it fer the night.

There be plenty o'merchants out there what makes right proper pirate accessories.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Arr Capt Grey,

I alway enjoy seeing what others do on a budget or in a pinch, not to laugh at mind you but fer inspiration. I've only spent the big money on things like on me boots after years of frustration and discomfort. The rest I've tried to make, build and put together meself.

I'm not sure that a baldric is much more than a couple of belts buckled toegther at the ends and sewed together at the others anyway. Except fer where yer cutlass is supose to be attached.

Aye, I be the mistress of the cut-throat's cut-rate costuming. :rolleyes:

Fer some o'me Star Wars creations I be wearin' industrial rubber boots instead of German jack boots (rebel pilot) and an Imperial Officer rank badge make o'Legos stolen from me cabin boys' treasure chest.

xwing_outfit.jpgimperial_legobadge.jpg

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I be doin that directly... just finshed er up today...got a meet this weekend and sees ifin I kin get me some good pitures taken....I ain't got one o them fancy dancy digital thingys....but knows sumone who does...so do what I kin...commin soon!!!!! In the meantime I will see if I kin find ye a piture of previous work...

darkRose

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

Stynky.... I swear, I'll send those pics of the baldric to you. It was the same one I was wearing on pirate weekend when you were here. I made mine from one belt purchased at the fair a few years ago. It is extremely long and was only about 20$. I then measured it, cut it to the proper length and re-connected the two pieces in the proper form. With buckles, rivets, and addornments, it cost me about 30$ to make. Again; I know I'm slow, but I really will try to send you the pics...... Flint

Capt. Flint you bastard! (meant as a Stynky term of endearment of course.)

You only spent $30. putting that thing together?

Besides looking into your fair Katey’s gorgeous eyes, I had me sights set on that baldric of yars pretty much the other part of the night. I kept hoping that you would be putting it down and forgetting it somewhere and maybe I could slip off ship in a long boat with it unnoticed. It’s a fine hand made piece to be sure there ladd.

Make sure to send me detailed shots of that along with copies of your wheel lock pistol drawings, we’ll get ‘em posted .

Aye, I be the mistress of the cut-throat's cut-rate costuming. :ph34r:

Fer some o'me Star Wars creations I be wearin' industrial rubber boots instead of German jack boots (rebel pilot) and an Imperial Officer rank badge make o'Legos stolen from me cabin boys' treasure chest.

xwing_outfit.jpgimperial_legobadge.jpg

That rocks. Great setup.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Post the pics on a web server. then use the image tags. [ img ] url to your pic [ /img ] don't use the spaces on the image (img) tags.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.