Pirate Swords

Capt. Flint

Speakin' o' bookmarks and wishlists, check out this cutler.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kwillyard/

Gonna have to clean my keyboard now.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, ye gets what ye pay for, I reckon. I've bought cheap and I've bought dear. The best allus costs more.

Yule is a comin', and I got to say I'd love that shell guard cutlass hilt. Last year twas me blunderbuss and that cost more. Gots to talk to me wife.......

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Saber just picked up the following sword in an Ebay auction. From what I have been able to determine from the maker's mark on the blade, this would be a Spanish officer's dress sword (maybe cavalry?) and would date to approximately the 1890's.

I found two similar swords on-line which had the same inscription, FAB G.A. DE TOLEDO. Both of the other swords with this inscription were followed by a date- one was 1896 the other 1898, so I'm guessing that this one probably falls into that approximate ball park as the type face looks identical.

This sword's hilt grip is a solid piece of either bone or ivory and is wound with the decorative bronze or brass inlay. One of the similar swords was ornate, but with flourishes rather than the figural people and animals that you see on this one, so I'm guessing it to be a dress sword rather than a functional one. This came from a retired doctor's estate.

Whatcha think pirates? Anyone have further info or comments?

e8_1_s.JPG

1f_1_s.JPG

5e_1_s.JPG

98_1_s.JPG

dd_1_s.JPG

07_1_s.JPG

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Low browser power kept me from answering him last nite...Spanish made, at the time of the Mexican Civil war, although it probably only saw duty in Europe......Me p.s. Mark Cloke runs an excellent Sword forum called 'Old Swords', and with enough navigating the site, you'll find it there...Gary

OK Mexican Civil War would put it from 1858 to 1861. I was kinda thinking that since the other swords had dates on the makers mark and this one didn't, that it might be an earlier sword as a date might have been a later addition to the maker's mark, not something that would be deleted.

Thanks for the reference to Mark Cloke's site, I'm on my way to check it out.

Thanks for the resource to Mark Cloke's site. There were three lion-headed Spanish swords in the database. None of them were as old as this one appears to be, no bone or ivory hilt grips and not nearly as ornate. But it looks like we did well on the price as we paid $200 for a considerably older and more ornate piece and these more modern pieces with less detail and no bone or ivory were valued at $300. I'll be interested to see if there are additional markings when we get it. It appears to be Spanish Navy, if the later issue swords are replicating our old one.

Royaliste, I'll bring it by as soon as we have it in hand so you can give it a once over. Damn... sorry to hear that one of yours is up at Ebay. :ph34r:

Deacon, I'll post the sword info on the site you suggested, but I'm going to wait until I have it in hand and can hopefully identify if the handle is bone or ivory and check to see if there are any other identifying marks on it.

Thanks Captain William!

Ok, if'n yer near Buffalo, New York or Bakersfield, CA...yar might want to listen up....just came back from the Swordsonline store in Bakersfield....I wanted to see before I bought...they have table full of slightly damaged...swords in all varieties....for less then 50% off. This evening I got a 1850 Naval Cutlass....reenactment quality...very high quality sword for $59.00 ....it had one dent on the hand guard.....They have a brand new one slightly less quality for $59.95...or brand new one of the same quality as I got (without the dent) for $180.00....both come with scabbard and $180.00 one comes with a leather belt loop frog...You can check everything out ...and they have a lot of stuff and it look all very good...am going to order a couple more items from them....Thought you all would like to know ....

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

You can check out the swordsonline web site...at

swordsonline.com

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Thanks Deacon, the lion's head is the same on ours. Royaliste commented that a lot of the swords were manufactured in Spain, but were used in service in other countries. So even though the sword is definitely of Spanish manufacture, it may have been designed for another country's militry. He commented that mine particularly looks like a European design with the style of the hilt and the very European or Nordic-looking face on the hilt.

I'm curious, since Spanish swords were used by the military in other countries, does anyone know if they were considered to be of good quality and if so, what was good or bad about them? Balance, strength etc?

• 3 weeks later...

The sword arrived yesterday. :ph34r: It's pretty neat. It is very intricate and it is a very attractive piece. I was very surprised by how light weight it is. It is almost the weight of a modern fencing foil. I'm guessing it's a dress sword? Not actually used in action, but I really don't know. There are no marks on the blade that would indicate it was ever used for anything but appearances. Royaliste, I'm hoping you can tell me more about it when you see it. I'll bring it with us next time.

The hilt needs to be tightened up as the parts are a bit loose and wiggly. The bone grip is lovely. No cracks or dryness and it has darkened with age. There are twisted spirals of what appears to be bronze inlaid into the grip.

The details are the best part about it. The more you look at it, the more you see. Someone put a lot of creativity and care into the hilt design and it is quite lovely. On one side, there is a shield, that has two very tiny holes in it, as if an emblem or an initial was attached there. No idea what it might have been.

Aye Lass,

Fer those o' us not there on th' left coast, how 'bout some pictures o' th' new-ta-ye weaponry?

:ph34r:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Aye 'Quill,

Tis a lovely find indeed!

Ye says its light, looks sturdy enough ta use ta me..... a light sabre it appears...

As fer tightenin' it up.... Hmmmm..... have a swordsmith have a peek at it.... or, worst case a blacksmith....

Did ye get an age ta th' piece?

Makes me wanna display all me weapons on th' wall again....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Thanks gang- Saber deserves the credit for finding this one. Me honey did good, eh? :lol:

Dorian, from looking at similar swords on-line, this one appears [/i] to date to the mid to late 1800's, but we don't know for sure.

I'm taking it up to Royaliste to let him have a look at it and he may be able to tell me more when he sees it. If it appears that the loosness

could potentially cause damage to the bone grip or another part of the sword, I'll definitely have it done by a swordsmith. Otherwise, if nothing is

likely to be harmed, I'll leave it as is. As you said, it is quite sturdy, which is why the weight is so surprising. It looks

like a heavy piece, but when you pick it up, it weighs next to nothing. It's actually kind of surprising, the first time you

lift it. It's light as a feather. There are no nicks on the blade at all, that would indicate combative use, but then again who knows?

I'll post anything Royaliste has to say after he sees it.

I come across this inexpensive monster in the Yahoo online shopping sites from A-squared armoury. Heavy beast, almost more a falshion than cutlass, but not unlike the early cuttoes. Surprisingly well made to boot.

Check out:

http://store4.yimg.com/I/a2armory_1764_125142

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered