NECA 7" POTC figs

JoshuaRed

& love him even as the undead.

Oh yeah....wanna know which pic is right by my bed? (along with many others..) and i look at it very often...this one :lol:

HotSkeleton2.jpg

Oh i love that look..and i swear, even like that he may wake me at night :lol:

As Geoff is doing Candy now i guess it's as Bess said but i cannot help but hope we get enough of him in POTC 2 to satisfie atleast until the POTC 3 :huh:

hero.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of those double sided key rings that you can place a little wallet size photo in... I have a pic of Barbossa on one side. :huh: ::le sigh; le swoon::

Oh! .. I mentioned this a few places... but I have spoted the PotC figures at the local Suncoast here in Cedar Rapids!

They look FABULOUS! I was HIGHLY impressed. A friend of mine doesn't believe they look like the characters... but I say they are spot on! Well.. worth the 12 for them. :)

So if you have a Suncoast or MediaPlay... check them out.

I didn't see them at the Hot Topics here, or Spencers. I haven't checked out Toys R Us.. yet.

I have Barbossa on hold for me until I pick him up on Wed. :: Evil grinz:: sounds a little erie, doesn't it?

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I have one of those double sided key rings that you can place a little wallet size photo in... I have a pic of Barbossa on one side.

That's so cool, and normal LO i am so obsessed i have a little mini photo album in my backpack with me always with my favorite screencaptures as real photo's, digital photo service is so good for such things :)

And...i'm on air today a friend at the Gspot group bought me the Barbossa figure WAHOOOOOOO.. LOL.

I am going to bu a nice something for her tomorrow, just gotta show her my appreciation this is so nice of her :huh:

Oh by the way, Captain Jack fans might want to start saving...

Captain Jack Sparrow statue

hero.jpg

:D

You all don't give Norrington enough credit. (chuckle)

Me thinks you'll all see the lad a mite differntly after the next film. :D

(Hubba, Hubba!!) :D

HE'S IN THE SECOND FILM!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAYY!!!!!!!!!!

Hee, you just made my whole week with that news ... I mean, I was moderately sure he was gonna be in it, since you did say everybody (EVERYbody) would be back ... but this is now CONFIRMED. HAPPINESS!!!! :D:D:D:D

... er, I like Norrington. :)

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

:huh:

Squee!!!

Ahhh.. thank ye kindly! Ye've made this piratess a VERY happy piratess indeed!

Ne'er could I tire of Barbossa.

More.. more I say! :)

Curious to see what Elizabeth will look like though. Which outfit she will wear. Hopefully the Barbossa dress. :D

:lol:

Well waddaya know? We get another Jack Sparrow. Imagine that! :lol: In round 3, I'll bet we'll get another Jack Sparrow. Either that or another Will Turner. (If we're good, maybe they'll give us both. It'll probably depend partially on the sales of the each individual fig from round 1.)

I'd lay 20:1 odds (for anyone but Bess who may know differently :huh: ) that the Elizabeth will be in the maroon dress. It's sort of her signature apparel from the first film. (It's akin to Amadala in the white bodysuit in Ep II: Attack of the Clowns.) My second choice would be the fancy dress (the one the corset was underneath) because of the distinct importance of that outfit to the movie's storyline. Still, its not as signature as the maroon dress which had it's own storyline significance.

Me, I'll buy her in the greasy-haired RN outfit if they come out with it. Other than that...pass on this round except for the undead Jack and Barbossa in the two pack. I hope they don't make that a store exclusive... Those can be a real pain sometimes.

Hum. That's a pretty static pose of ud Barbossa. Two packs are often action-posed. (They're also made of softer PVC sometimes because they're action-posed and people are inclined to leave 'em in the box.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh god..how much will it be?

It's fantastic..saving starts now, and i'm already saving for the Elf Fantasy Fair, i want to buy a cutlass, if they have one and not too expensive.

I may just leave that, i want this baby WOOHOOO...

One thing though...Jackie's on the wrong shoulder! :huh:

hero.jpg

Well, I picked up Cursed Pirate to be named later at Media Play tonight. If they'd have given him dreads, it'd bear more than a passing resemblance to Koehler. With all the hoo-hah they made during the film voice overs about how much character the undead pirates had, you'd think they'd sculpt a particular pirate rather than a generic one.

Anyhow...nice fig. Good detail. Lots of detail, actually, for a 7" figure. Very nice paint job. Tons of articulation, too. Every major joint moves and the shoulders have two joints so they can swivel. (They don't always go to such trouble.) The waist moves despite the small attachment point. Even the jaw opens! It doesn't stand too well, though. And the plastic is soft. I noticed the same thing with NECA's Brain Gremlin fig. Great detail and articulation, lousy cheap plastic. I'll take detail and articulation over hard plastic, I guess. The sword and gun are made of the same brittle plastic that 18" Jack's weapons are made of, so care should be taken with them or they'll probably break. I noticed that the sword is built backwards. If the poor guy uses the cross guard to protect his finger bones, the blade faces him. (Whoops! Don't go into battle like that Mr Undead Pirate to be Named!) The removable, decaying hat is a nice touch.

**Edit** I was throwing away the packaging when I noticed there was something else inside...a clear base and pole that fits into Mr. Unnamed's back to make him stand properly. Beautiful! NECA really does an outstanding job on details. We're lucky we got them to sculpt this series (as opposed to someone like Playmates. Yeesh, do they make sorry figures.) **

Now for the demand report. :lol: At the local Media Play, they were sold out of Jack Sparrows, they had 1 Will, 3 Undead Pirates and 3 Barbossas. (Now they have 2 undead pirates and 3 Barbossas.) My boy and Barbossa aren't selling well from the looks of that store.

Will comes with two heads! One with his hair down and another, strange disembodied version with the hair back in a pony tail that floats next to the attached head. I know the head is replaceable (pops out of its socket), but it still looks sort of creepy in the package. :lol: Something looks funny about Will's nose, too. Maybe that's just the way Orlando's nose really looks, I don't know. A decent, if dull figure other than that.

The Barbossa sculpt looks weird in the package, although the splash photos on the backing looked decent...perhaps it's because the hat is not on the figure in the package. The figure's face looked elongated and slightly puffy to me for some reason. Again, maybe that's how Rush really looks, it just looked off to me. At least he comes with the monkey. Although even the monkey looked odd in the package.

Of the four figs (the Jack is reportedly the same as the 18" version which I've seen several times), I think I'd personally rate them thusly:

1. Jack Sparrow

2. Undead Pirate

3. Will Turner and his floating head

4. Barbossa

Of course, the only one I've seen out of the package is the 7" Undead Pirate and the 12" serious Jack.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I can't really be too picky on the subject of the figures.. cause if this bombs, then the future of them would be in jeopardy, that's for sure.

I'm rather thrilled with Barbossa.

I admit... they all look rather good for being action figures.

It annoys me greatly as to how picky people get abot figures now. Umm.. I remember the old action figures.. like the first Star Wars action figures & even the early 80's GI Joes...

Umm.. yeah... I CANNOT complain about the PotC figures. These kick aft!

Though... the feather on Will's & Barbossa's hats.. could either have been the plastisized.. or add a few more. Prefer the plastic type. But... I'll be adding a few more to make it look a little better. That thin black fluff just doesn't look right. :D

It annoys me greatly as to how picky people get abot figures now. Umm.. I remember the old action figures.. like the first Star Wars action figures & even the early 80's GI Joes...

If it's your money you're spending, you can be picky. :D Plus the AF arena is extremely competitive, so being picky breeds better products. God love the free market. :) Today, some AF manufacturers go so far as to 3-D computer scan the models for the figures. (NECA didn't do this for the POTC figs, however.)

You can't really compare them to the 80's figures. The primary reason a manufacturer chooses a 7" or 8" scale instead of the traditional 4" scale is so they can incorporate more detail and provide you with better paint jobs. It's to the point where the AF market now demands this. Even Hasbro's 4" SW AFs are dramatically posed and presented...not to mention highly detailed. The progressions of the SW AF line from the '95 POTFII line to today is a lesson in modern AF market requirements.

They've come up with a lot better sculpting and painting techniques since George decided to defy the fashion doll trend and make mini-figures. (Interesting (to me) side note: When presented with 12" Luke and Leia prototype figures, Lucas told Kenner something like, "No, these are too big. This movie is about vehicles. I want dolls that fit into vehicles." So Kenner borrowed a page from a line of Japanese robot toys and made figures on a 4" scale.) Don't get me wrong; the ones I have are really nice figs. The 18" Depp is probably the best pirate I've ever seen. And the best figure - I commented on him elsewhere. But he and the 7" Undead Pirate are the only two I personally liked (I haven't actually seen the 7" Depp doll).

Mission_banner5.JPG

Look I was right! From the NECA site:
Series 2 will feature:

Elizabeth Swann

Pintel

Ragetti

Jack Sparrow II

Boxed Set: Cursed Sparrow vs Cursed Barbossa w/ Diorama Base

And take a look at THIS!

http://www.necaonline.com/newbarbossa1.html

Wow, the feather on the cursed Barbossa looks better than the one that's out now! I so want to add better feathers to his hat and I seriously think I will. :)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

That's what I did, Christine. I didn't care much for that little fluff on his hat.. so.. I removed it... bought a small package of feathers at the local craft store... picked out the feathers I wanted to use that would work well with the hat to make it look like the real bunch of feathers on the real hat.

Looks fabulous! :)

Now.. just to work on that missing ear that supposed has the earring. I'm looking at what to use to make that earring.

ooooh would I LOVE to have an 18" of Barbossa.. though... would like to have the clothes made of cloth... where you can remove them... make new outfits for him... & yes, there is a piece of me that wants him to be anatomically correct. :: innocent look::

As to the pickiness of the figures.... well.. it just annoys me when people are "they look nothing like the actors/characters.."

I just want to slap them.

Well.. think of it this way... Buy nothing, no more treasure. Frankly.. I WANT THE POTC STUFF!!!

:ph34r:

As to the pickiness of the figures.... well.. it just annoys me when people are "they look nothing like the actors/characters.."

Who said that?

Mission_banner5.JPG

I won't name name's .. but I've heard it a few times from a variety of people... & they are PotC fans!

Sad, is it not?

I've seen them all.. & the PotC figures I think look much alike to the characters. Especially the 7" Jack.. whoa, does he!

:ph34r:

WOOHOO I got the entire Series 1 collection tonight! I went into Suncoast and they had FINALLY received their first shipment, so I grabbed one of each. I'm very impressed with 'em, though the face on the Smilin' Jack isn't very good. My son seemed quite taken with the pirates, so I gave him Smilin' Jack and kept the rest fer me onesies!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

It was funny when I bought the Barbossa at Hot Topic, the guy says to me:

"Have you been buying in the series already?"

"No, this is my first."

"And you're starting with Barbossa? Wow, very cool!"

"Well, he's my favorite."

"He was the better pirate and Geoffrey Rush rocks!"

"Jack was cool and also original, but he was more like a cartoon."

LOL! :ph34r: Cool huh?

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Oh, btw Charity, Jack the monkey is on the correct shoulder. I'm looking at him right now as he sits on my computer desk. The hole in the shoulder is on the left side. I have checked pictures and every single one shows the monkey on the left side. Remember, when you look at a pic it's our right, his left. But he sits on Barbossa's left shoulder, just like with the toy.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

This is too CUTE - my son, (almost 3) is obsessed with his brand new Smilin' Jack! He literally has not let him out of his grip all night, and even insisted on taking him to bed and fell asleep holding him. All evening he made him run around the house, and played "put his hat on - take his hat off" about 1,000 times. He introduced him to his other little pirates, and had him comandeer both the candy jar and his Megablocks pirate ship. I love it! :ph34r:

newbannersigtar0db.gif

"Jack was cool and also original, but he was more like a cartoon."

Yes, exactly! That's why Jack is my favorite. B)

Lady B, I think the likenesses are pretty decent, even on the ones I didn't buy. NECA typically does a good job with details. I had planned to re-do my resin life-sized cast of Mohawk Gremlin so that he looked like Brain Gremlin, but when NECA released their BG AF, I looked at it and thought, "Why bother? This is so good." (Well, and working with this particular resin is such a pain. Ok, it didn't take too much convincing. :rolleyes: )

Mission_banner5.JPG

Very cool, Mission.

I don't do man projects.. not much time & not much money to blow.

Hmm.. sounds like you all got some intelligent recognition. :: Shakes head:: Just goes to prove to me that I life in a place where people are colder than a dead corpse! I just get the robotic blank stare or whatever. :D

Even asked if they (Suncoast) could order "Blackbeard the Pirate" with Robert Newton for me. :: Shakes head::: nope... it's not available! can you believe that? They wouldn't go over & beyond to do what they can. I ALWAYS get this! I usually do that.. no matter where I work.. I go over & beyond to make sure someone is helped & serviced.

Course.. this is the same place that told me that they were not getting these in. :blink: I just want to slap the lot of these people. :D

Well... I admit.. I will be getting Jack & Will. Cannot wait for the others to come out in Oct.. & hopefully it will be Oct.

I'm thinking about getting an extra Elizabeth & kinda mke a custom from her.. unless I find another female figure I can use.

Yay! I was able to pick up all four figs at Suncoast this weekend. I also saw all four at Hot Topic but they cost a dollar more each there. Still, good to know they're available in places where Suncoast is hard to find.

I'm quite pleased with all the figures, even though Will's extra head is scary and little Jack looks exactly like my 18" Smilin' Jack.

Now the dilemma - take them out of the packages for display or keep them in?

By all means, kill the whelp!

...or at least give him a good flogging. Better yet, let me do it.

Flogger * Pyrates of the Coast

Bloodthirsty Novelist

Pyrate Adventuress

Take 'em out if you feel like it. I collected the new series' of SW AFs mint on card for years and sold them for about 50 - 70% of what I paid for most of the ones I've sold. Sure, there were a few that I made out on, but 90% of them...I might as well have taken them out of the packaging. (Then you get about 20 - 30% of what you paid for them, but at least you get to see them up close and personal.)

If you want to make money collecting carded AFs, you need to go back in time and start collecting in 1977 - and then quit in 1987.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I mean... I saw them at Hot Topic once. ONCE. Next time I went there, they didn't have any. I have seen pictures online for them too. They're like ghosts. O_o

Let's all rest assured that I have seen it in person and can say the Jack Sparrow likeness is spot-on. Not so much with the Will Turner, however. Though the figure does come with two heads! :lol: (Seriously, it does)