Pirate BBB: Had Any Dealings With...?

Duchess

A Better Business Bureau for piratey shopping experiences.

Let's try not to be inflamatory here. Just state the company and a brief description of your experience.

This could be a good resource for those of us who do lots of online buying and selling. It can be very difficult to correctly guage the quality of work and customer service by just viewing a website. This doesn't have to be a complaints only section, feel free to cite instances of great service or work.

Let's try not to be inflamatory here. Just state the company and a brief description of your experience.

Well said, Duchess.

Please stick to the facts in your description of a problem (e.g., seller didn't answser e-mails, late shipping, item didn't fit, item fell apart, etc.).

And just remember that old adage when dealing with any costumer/seamstress (myself included): Buyer Beware.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

• 3 weeks later...

Aye, I have spent me gold at the Hidesmith's, and have been well pleased. Mind you, I have only purchased a fluffy fox tail, and a flapped pouch (with two buttoned pockets, I do not see it in the item list), which I have had a million compliments on, and has proven to be sturdy and durable despite my unending attempts to overstuff the sucker with bulky goods in an attempt to smuggle them past my curious husband's nose. :blink:

Last summer at the PA Ren Faire my niece purchased a leather bodice, and has been well pleased with it also. I'm very happy with the quality of his work, although he's a bit pricey (the on-line prices do seem to be lower than the Ren Faire prices, however - but I can't say for sure). Jekyl the Hidesmith has a very good reputation at the Faire, both with cast and visitors.

I just have to tell you about a BEAUTIFUL pouch he had last year - the softest deerskin I have ever felt - it was like BUTTAH!! I was soooo tempted to buy it, but ended up getting the one that I have now because I was afraid the deerskin would be too delicate. I still kick myself for not snatching it - it was lovely...

So, yeah - I'm happy, both with what I have bought there, and what I have seen in the shop...

das

Good or bad, I'd like to know - time to buy myself some more toys!  :blink:

Phil, I have bought a vest and a couple of custom made belts from Jekyl. His workmanship is excellent. Absolutely no complaints here. And he ships very quickly, even on the custom stuff.

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Do with me what ye will...

Be careful what ye wish for, m'lad. :blink:

I wish, I wish, I wish... :unsure:

By the by, ma'am - I can't recall seein', nor can I find through "Search", the Pirate BBB section ye mentioned - could ye please steer me to it? Thank ye.

das -

Thanks fer the review! I'm trying to place in my mind's eye exactly where they were located at PARF - were they the ones at the top o' th' hill, or the ones goin' UP th' hill, or...

...so much leather, so little time... :blink:

Mick-

Thank ye, sire! I had me eye on one o' his baldrics, the one wot had the fancy leather work and brass oval buckle...

They also has a set o' gloves, that be a bit fem-lookin' to me, but still...(lowerin' his voice inta th' manly registers)...they were interestin'...hope ta do somethin' similiar with me own gauntlets.

Madam LaRue -

Ooooooh, nice gooodies!

Oh, thank you...(blushing)...oh, you meant...oops, my bad...

Duchess -

Not sure about bonin' bodices (...well...actually.... :P ), but I DO know I look fearsome STRANGE in 'em, so shan't be seekin' to buy one...but thank ye neverthenonethemind!

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

I got a double wrap belt from him for my sword. Not only is it superb in quality and durable, but he backs everything up with a guarantee. As for the belt, if it didn't fit perfectly I could send it back and he would alter it free. Can't beat that.

I've sent many of my fellow crewe there since - never heard anything but Wows! and Thanks!

Buy in confidence. He's terrific...

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

phil me lad i have known and dealt with jekyll for about 10 years his work is excellent and he's always a good fellow to work with ... and he doesn't rape ye for custom work either ....i have4-5 of his pouches and several of his belts .... and he stands behind all of his work and he's only about 2 hours south of you in montgomery county i think or maybe bucks :)

Thank ye, lad!

I always like's ta shop "local" when I can...and it don't get much more local than that!

Well, seems like a big "Thumb's Up" - thank ye all once't again fer yer great replies!

Now, where be thet Pyrate Plastic o' mine...?

~ Vegetius

Where is he located in the Shire...eep...he's located RIGHT where I know he is...down, around, through, and over something... :huh:

I THINK - if I recall correctly, he's located over near the ...how do I explain this? You know where the chessboard is?? Well, behind the chessboard stage somewhere (away from the hill) is a concrete pad with picnic tables and a canopy over it...he's near there, I believe. Dang - I wish I had my map of the Shire, and tried to bring it up on line but it wasn't liking me dial-up - and I forgot to pull it up on my high-speed connection at work.

I am SO not helping with this, am I??? :lol:

das

That's OK, das - no worries, mate!

I know where you're referring to - so he's on the long walkway going up the hill (toward where they stuck that new "Torture Museum")...I kind of think I recall now exactly where he is - thank ye!

~ Vegetius

I know right where t'is! Right, we all know where the pirate ship is . . . follow the path going past that. That will lead down past that one pub thingy (can't remeber what it's calle) and past the Swashbuckler's Brew Pub. The Swashbuckler's stage will be at the end of the road, which turns left, follow that a bit, and it I'll be about half-way along, on your left. If ye get lost, it's the road behind the Globe theatre.

. . .okay, so I might have spent more then a little time back there . . .

• 1 month later...