Aging a Baldric?

Mick MacAnselan

How distressed and aged do you want it to look? Like it's an old and trusty friend that still gives good service, or something you just found abandoned in a cave? The salt water would do for the latter, but I wouldn't trust the leather to hold up afterwards.

I'd get a good harness darkening oil and rub it in, using a hair dryer between applications to make sure it soaks well in. I'd take an almost dry swab of some dark leather dye ands put on a few stains, maybe even rub some blood into it, let it dry then try to clean it. At the point it curves over the shoulder, dampen the leather and rub the inside edge to flare it and smooth it some.

If the buckle is brass, soak it in vinegar for a while 'till you get some tarnish. For steel, a fine spray of salt water will do, then clean them both to stop the reaction and remove surface rust or tarnish.

One of the rules of the 'pirate codes' that are out there says to keep your weapons in good shape. letting the leather deteriorate doesn't square with that idea, not to me anyway. Well used and well maintained would seem to be the watchwords. if you can't let it age naturally with age, sweat and sun, then try my method.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I agree Hawkins....

I make baldrics and have tried several things .....but in the end...wearing them seems to be the best way...and besides when people come to visit you always have a conversation starter....

darkRose

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

If the buckle is brass, soak it in vinegar for a while 'till you get some tarnish.

Hummmm.... never tried using vinegar... I've heard that rubbing brass with the cleaning patches after cleaning black powder, is sopose to age it.... (haven't tried it.... )

I just clean the laqure off the brass, and it ages anyway......

How distressed and aged do you want it to look? Like it's an old and trusty friend that still gives good service, or something you just found abandoned in a cave? The salt water would do for the latter, but I wouldn't trust the leather to hold up afterwards.

Being pirates, for the sake of accuracy I believe all of our kit should be soaked in salt water then left to bleach in the sun...

In fact, right now I wish someone would do that to me!!! :)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

BlackJohn.. never let it be said, that you are not a twisted individual... but then, thats what we love about you...

As I have said before about aging any leather, wear it, use it and let time take its course. Keep it oiled and clean and nature will do the rest. If you choose to intentionally distress the leather, it will look that way. If you simply wear it and keep it clean, you will be amazed at how it will become soft and flexible. The look will be beautiful, while getting that broken in look. I have done a lot of work with leather and have seen it ruined by those who can't wait for it to age naturally. Trust me on this, let time and use take care of the look. It is important to treat leather well and it will last you a long long time.

Being pirates, for the sake of accuracy I believe all of our kit should be soaked in salt water then left to bleach in the sun...

In fact, right now I wish someone would do that to me!!! :)

Hmm, 'aven't really seen where this technique works on leather. Bronze, brass, and copper, yes...leather?...just cracked once in a while, but usually just 'dry'...No reply on the human aspect!

:ph34r:

Iffen ye want te take some of the "newness" off yer leather, ye might try a bit o' sandpaper - especially te the edges. Depending on the leather, the grit will dull the finish, and per'aps allow some of the raw leather te peek out from beneath the black. Pay attention te the areas that would see most "use."

In addition te that, ye need te wear it. A lot. Per'aps ye kin wear it playin' sports, or under a coat when yer commutin' te work -- that sort of thing. The more ye wear it, the more it will look.... um... worn.

I caution ye against usin' sea water. 'Tis the ultimate enemy of leather, and will dry out yer leather faster than almost anything else, making it dry, brittle and, ultimately, useless.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Cap'n Flint wrote:

BlackJohn.. never let it be said, that you are not a twisted individual... but then, thats what we love about you...

Thanks. :)

As I have said before about aging any leather, wear it, use it and let time take its course. Keep it oiled and clean and  nature will do the rest. If you choose to intentionally distress the leather, it will look that way. If you simply wear it and keep it clean, you will be amazed at how it will become soft and flexible. The look will be beautiful, while getting that broken in look.  I have done a lot of work with leather and have seen it ruined by those who can't wait for it to age naturally. Trust me on this, let time and use take care of the look. It is important to treat leather well and it will last you a long long time.

All the leather gods I know say the same, hence my advice to do something completely different. :ph34r:

Fwiw, I am very tempted to try my soak it in salt water, rinse, then bake the sun method followed by the tried and true oil it and take loving care of it method, just to see what the results might be.

My Home on the Web

If you're re-enacting or portraying the a period, the baldric would indeed be new at some point... so why would you want it to look at aged? I agree with Hawkyns, a pirate kept his weapons and equipment in fine working order. So it would be OK if a pirate had taken a baldric from some poor dandy in a battle and wore it fairly new.

Same issue with coinage - coins in the period were shiny and new looking (since that's when they were minted) but so many portrayers seek out old coins. It defies the period and just looks like you're a modern pirate carrying old looking stuff. Same with the badric issue.

Mine came from a great leathersmith and it is finally beginning to show age after a year of two of wearing aboard ship and abusing it through natural use. No need to rush the aging process.

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 4 weeks later...

This came through just recently from a member of group's mail list and I'd thought I'd pass it along.

HI, All. One of the oldest recipes for darkening leather (actually

blackening) using materials that you most likely have around the house

is to soak rusty objects in vinegar and applying the liquid thus gotten

to the oak-tanned leather. Ink was made in a similar way, using the

tannin in oak galls as a substitute in this case for the tannin in the

leather. Also, don't worry that the vinegar (acetic acid) will somehow

destroy the leather...it sat in tannic acid for quite a while. If you

are really panicky you can rinse, dry and oil afterwards. Have fun, Mike T.

My Home on the Web

The other thing is that sailors of all time periods, seldom have "nothing to do" on a ship. If they are not taking care of the ship, they are probably taking care of their gear. If your badric is not in good shape at sea, where do you get another?

Better to keep it in tip top condition so you have all your equipment when you need it.

Save the distressed equipment look for the POTC3 extras call.

GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

The other thing is that sailors of all time periods, seldom have "nothing to do" on a ship. If they are not taking care of the ship, they are probably taking care of their gear. If your badric is not in good shape at sea, where do you get another?

Better to keep it in tip top condition so you have all your equipment when you need it.

Unless we believe the "party line" that pirates wanted "nothing to do." In which case, if on of my fellow pirates - better yet, an "officer" - doesn't force me to clean my gear, I'd rather just lay about on deck in a drunken stupor until the rum runs out!

I'll keep my pistols in proper firing order, but I'm not going to worry about much else.

:blink:

My Home on the Web

i understand what you are saying. I just think that i would l have a different perspective toward my gear and clothing if i spent 6 months or more at sea.

Sure, maybe no one was "forcing" you to repair your trousers, but if they wore out, you would have to make or buy another pair from the ships store at an overly inflated price.

I am sure that some sailors would cut off there nose to spite their face, however, we who live in the Walmart Age, view things differently than they did I bet.

GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Sure, maybe no one was "forcing" you to repair your trousers, but if they wore out, you would have to make or buy another pair from the ships store at an overly inflated price.

Or strip 'em from the next passenger who wore a pair you fancied...

My point is, think different mindset. And even then, my guesses as to what a pirate mindset is is just that, a guess, based on a) some knowledge of first-hand accounts and b.) my own skewed belief system/sense of justice.

:blink:

My Home on the Web

i have worked with leather for 40 years and i would never soak my leather in salt water unless i had more money than brains it will strip the leather of it's natural oils and shorten the life by 80% ... if needs be i would used the sandpaper trick and then use oils on it the colour will be varied but the surface will be of different textures as well .... without sacrificing the integrity of the hide .....i have done some of this type thing for a few films ... they would have used whale oil or fish oil but a waxws base waterproofing will nourish the leather but also keep the old appearance :)

;)

hahaha... I guess I can take that as an insult???

:lol:

Fwiw, I'm going to stand by my crazy notion of soaking it in saltwater as a way to emulate the nasty conditions seen by those pirates so long ago.

:lol::lol::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

ps - don't mind me, I'm feeling quite silly right now...

My Home on the Web

Yeah them's fightin words! :huh: Let it be settled ashore - first blood wins.

Now then, aging - Instead of salt, you could simulate that whitened look by merely rubbing pastel chalk dust in white or gray all over the baldric to dull the newness of it. Allow it to remain in recesses, cracks, etc, the wipe off the areas that are in contact with skin, clothing, etc as they would remain shinier longer.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

• 2 months later...

I got looking at a really old belt of mine, noticing how it was worn and aged, I then started to "age" my pyrate belt....

Tools needed...

file

sandpaper

a hammer

small chunk of canvas or rough cloth

tablespoon

On the old belt, the edges are rounded and smooth, so I used the file and sandpaper to shape the newer belt that way, I then dampened the edges with water and using the hammer, pounded the "fuzzyness" off the edge untill it was smooth and rounded. I used the tablespoon and then the canvas to burnish any remaining rough fuzzy spots. When it was done, the edges were slightly shinny, but looked like the old belt.

To add some "wear" to the surfice of the belt, I dampened it, and using the handle of the spoon, carved (but not cut) some dings into the belt.

The next step is to oil the leather, and slightly polish it (my boss is a horse person, so I will "borrow" some of her leather oil)

This way, makes the leather look old and worn, but does not weaken it....