spring invasion in Chicago

Merrydeath

:P My heartfelt & sincere condolences on the loss of your feline friend. Having a rather ill cat at the moment, I know how much that can be a blow upon ya. & still not exactly over the loss of my dog Sandy... who has been my best friend & like a little sis to me for 13 years.As long as you have the memories. They always live with us.

Isabella... frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if a few people I know were there. & a good amount of them being with the 501st Stormtrooper garrison around the Chicago area. Fine group they are. We had a blast sometime back. I, Vader & a black stormtrooper were subbed the stealth trio or as a picture was titled.. "Pirates of the Galaxy: the Curse of the Black-clad Attire"! :P

So.. if ya see a few folks with the 501st Midwest there, like Vader & some others, mention ya be a good friend o' the Lady Barbossa, the piratess all dressed in black, member of the stealth trio, lost daughter of "daddy" Sparrow & lost sister of Jack Sparrow ( :P:P:P another LONG story)... :P

:P

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I be familiar with the 501st. :) I was a starwars costumer for a long while there. :) Never felt the need to dress up as a trooper, but my goal is when I loose all my weight, I want to go as a female Boba Fett. ROFL that will be a sight. :P But you know what, I'll still be hot in all the armor. :) Bobalicious!

April is good, even the weekend of said con, cause it means I could bail early and drive to Chicago since we'd be half way there to begin with. We're still on the "are we going to the con" phase. Right now it's about time off etc. So we'll see. I think time off won't be a problem.

I'd rather be with my pirates than with the star wars geeks honestly. :) I love my pirates!

Thanks to all fer the kitty condolences. Our cat (a beautiful sleek jet black shorthair) was my wife's constant companion for the past 14 years. I cannot begin to recount the terrible loss we are feeling.

Since the subject came up, back in the 70s I scratchbuilt a stormtrooper costume. Ended up selling it for $100 to a total fanatic. After a few years, I missed it terribly, so I built another. Sold it for another $100. Stopped building Stormtrooper costumes. Didn't make any more $100 deals.

Someone mentioned the pirate boat tours. While I remember seeing a Jolly-Roger-bedecked tour boat a few summers back, I have found no more information. There is a website (uninformative) with a phone number, but I have been too lazy to make it to the phone (it's waaayy over there at the other side of the room...) The local hotel concierge stands do not have any brochures on the alleged (ghost?) boat, but it's off-season.

The search for interesting places continues...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Pete: That's nifty about said armor. The guys that do it now are fanatical as your guy sounded. Check out the www.501st.com for a more interesting detail of "fanatical". The costumes are cool, yes, styrine vacume formed and then cleaned. I am impressed by the construction, it's nifty.

Our grandmother has one that sounds like your kitties twin. He's all black, but on Christmas she told us they figured out how long they've had him. The cat is two years younger than me! He's getting so old his all black coat now has white in it. I dont' know where she'd be with out her kitties. Speaking of kitties, I better go save our Christmas tree, it just shuttered under kitty rough housing!

Much-awaited review of The Pirate's Cove...

As promised, I stopped in the Pirate's Cove yesterday while running errands... er, I mean, while plundering local shopkeepers... :ph34r:

What can I say? The place looked promising, because on the marquee outside they announced "DANCERS WANTED". A good sign, no? That sounds like they would want a group like us, right? I mean anyone who encourages drunken singing and dancing...

The place had only just opened up, it being noon and all, and there were already three people at the bar. :ph34r: We could easily overtake the place! Very small and quiet place, yet there were speakers set up for playing music and an array of overhead spotlights -- again, as if they supported, nay, encouraged people to dance.

The best feature -- there were several table-like rails set up all encircling a small stage -- just perfect for a group of pirates to put one Captain at a time up front to address the others, or lead them in a rollicking song -- or dance! Yes! It seemed almost perfect for a single person at a time to dance! And while it did not exactly resemble the deck of a ship in any way, a pirate might feel at home, because the stage had a large, sturdy brass pole sticking out of the floor, running all the way up to the ceiling -- not unlike a ship's mast! It seemed sturdy enough to hang on, climb up, swing around, or even hang upside-down from! Why, that would be perfect for our group's orator to hold onto if they has not lost their sea legs! The front row of "tables" was close enough for those seated to reach the person on stage, to hand them drinks ... or even to slip them some doubloons or other currency to encourage their singing and dancing. In fact, the place seemed designed for such activity!

In the corner of a small adjoining room was a curious feature -- a single chair was surrounded by a dark curtain. As if a person were to sit within and offer up confession of deeds dark, dirty and sinful. :ph34r: The curtain was wide enough to allow two people ... well not really -- one would have to be seated, and the other would need to be standing over the seated person -- or practically dancing in their lap.

Another interesting feature -- while it was freezing outside, the place was kept well-heated. So warm, in fact, that a person might be able to shed all their clothing and dance on the stage without a great deal of discomfort.

Too bad I got there so early, for there was a large calendar on the wall listing a bunch of performances. Apparently, later that evening, there was to be the showing of the Disney film "Bambi." But now that I think about it, there was no movie screen. Hmmmm... maybe people would be singing songs from the movie "Bambi." Whatever... "Bambi" was on the calendar for later that day.

However, we would have to have a rather large crowd, because the door had a forboding sign warning "ONLY OVER 21 PERMITTED," or something to that effect. So I need to find 20 other people interested in going.

Well, it sounds as if the Cap'n found the perfect place to bring the families to gather, don't ye think? :lol:

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

FABULOUS review, Cap'n Pete! Er, too bad Pirate's Cove turned out to be scraped from the underbelly of Port Royal during its heady days... or is it?!? Heh heh... ah, the search continues!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

;)

Interesting review, luv.

But... I'll keep m'; doubloons for other delights.

Tis a pity that it be named Pirates Cove & ... well, if we dare to want to, I suppose we could raid the tavern well enough. Tavern... brothel... whatever you wish to call the Tortuga mini-haven.

:D

There are plenty more classy (if the word can be used in this sense) places of this ilk hereabouts. The place really was a dive. This is only the second bar I recall ever having entered and walked back out without purchasing a drink.

The single only thing I can recommend the Pirate's Cove for is a photo op in front of their sign (Jolly Roger and all)... However, placement of the sign would probably prohibit even this idea.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Tis a shame an' pity that we pirates can't invasion a place with a befitting name. ::le sigh:: Oh, well.

Well... I suppose we best start setting the date & place soon enough... before ya know it.. it will be April!

So.. who will be so bold as to state when it will be & where?

B)

I'm still all for our friendly neighborhood Piper... good music, good atmosphere, and the management and staff love us, piratey gear and all!

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

I'll second that, Morgan! Tis a fine establishment. ;)

;) Hopefully this time... I won't fall! Though, t'was a bit fun. :lol:

Oh! BTW... read this in the CR Gazette this afternoon.

Strictly Sail Chicago 2005

At the Navy Pier Feb 3rd to the 6th; 11 am to 8pm

Sailboats, equipment & Services. Seminars & attractions.

Weekdays admission: $10

Weekends admission: $12

That's all it says in the paper. Though, I'd imagine the website would have some info. If not call down there to see what goes.

Hmmm... I'd almost say that's a good time for an Invasion! :)

;)

Are ye all headin' up here now? There's easily a foot or more of snow on the ground. What a wonderful time for pirates to visit Chicago! Yes! Especially if ye are from Florida or California!

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

:lol::lol:

Dunno! Had some VERY strong winds comin' in from the west & northwest this morning. Blew most of the snow we got last night to God knows where.. I presume towards you charmin' folks over by the Lakes.

But... with that Sail Chicago event coming up.. who knows what may happen & who may show up!

:P

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, I really have nothing worthwhile to add here.... It was just so sad seeing the "spring invasion in Chicago" topic so far down the list...

Actually, as far as I am concerned, EVERYDAY is a Pirate day in Chicago!

Finally convinced my wife that an outing to the Piper place is worth the trip... Must check it out.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

We are still hoping for an invasion in the NEAR future. The snow seems to have stopped for now, and its just cold.

What say I find out when the Plough Boys play again? Anyone for a pirate fix?

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Ploughboys play again on March 5th at the Piper, and I talked to a guy at the Piper who said they expect the Ploughboys to play in early April again, as well, although a firm date has not yet been set.

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

It looks like March 5 is off for me, my da is needing some care then. Early April may work though.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Looks like I'll be headed back out to California sometime in March... I'll let everyone know when as things get closer...

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

:o

What the hell ya going back out there for? They won't be shippin' ya off again, will they? :o

::le sigh:: Blast.. we need to have a little fun then b'fore ya go! I've a couple things for ya.. was holding onto them to give them to ya at the Invasion.

:rolleyes:

April is better... but the last week I'll be in London.

Merrydeath, yer personal profile photo creeps me out. Are you bummed, or what? Also, did I miss yer birthday? or is the 31st of February some joke that I do not understand?

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

April is better... but the last week I'll be in London.

Merrydeath, yer personal profile photo creeps me out. Are you bummed, or what? Also, did I miss yer birthday? or is the 31st of February some joke that I do not understand?

sigh.. alright! get a little morbid and depressed and all of a sudden they want Merrysunshine.. the name IS death you know.

I'll change it all back.. but you better have a damn good birthday for me.

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

LadyBarbossa Posted on Mar 1 2005, 09:32 PM

What the hell ya going back out there for? They won't be shippin' ya off again, will they? 

::le sigh:: Blast.. we need to have a little fun then b'fore ya go! I've a couple things for ya.. was holding onto them to give them to ya at the Invasion.

No worries! I'm going back to Cali for a few weeks to greet the boys when they come home, and to go to "deprogramming"... I'll be back quick-like!

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

Merrydeath. Okay, It has "Death" in it, but it also has "Merry." Ye gotta ride that fence, ye know.

Perhaps ye should alternate. Sunshiney smiley face, and then morbid dark foreboding depression. And then those bewitching eyes again. And back to the bowels of Hell itself. Works for me.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg