spring invasion in Chicago

Merrydeath

I am consideering having an invasion for Capn Morgan and to herald in Spring in the Chicago area. I am thinking March/ April, whatver has more going on. The place i have in mind is a great place for songs, friends an food.

any ideas or comments?

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merry, great idea. My only worry is how much it still snow in Chicago in March/April. Just a suggestion, but what about something closer to the spring thaw? Or toward Bristol opening? Just an idea.

Hubs and I were really hoping someone would suggest this. :) He's the one who talked about the snow issues, since he's been there before on business in March/April.

when I was there last Spring, it was in shirt sleeves. Sayiing that, I am sure to doom us all to 6 inches of snow!

April is very rarely snowy.. ice and rain yes. I was hoping for March since that would be special for me.

We can talk about it some, since there would not be any special thing to organize.. just a pub.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

:) I'm in! Have a friend and relatives in Chicago been meanin' to visit. That would be a perfect time!

Don't know the area too well but could scout around on the internet.

You can def. count me in for whatever, whenever...let me know what I can do.Be glad to help.

I'll be glad to PM me phone numbers as well....

Just lemmee know!

Long Live the crew of the CrimsonPermanent Assurance!

*waves hand from the back*

Hey,, hey... can I come, too?!? I know a great li'l pub... ;)

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

March/April be just before the re-enactment season.

Closer to Bristol.... I'm sure we can come up with something else, too.. depending on people's schedules.

MORGAN!! Mate, I'd pounce ya.. but... :: Hands ya IBC:: have one on me. :D We know you are a pirate, but bloody hell! You don't have to get a peg leg & hook! Aye... we'll celebrate your being home alright! :) As we promised.

Ooooh, fantastic Pub indeed.

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm... Chicago? Sure, that sounds like it might be possible te weigh anchor and get out te them climes...

March is still technically winter the Land of the Stinking Onion, and there still be the threat o' snow an' freezing. April, like they says, comes in like a lion and out like a lamb (except for one notable year when it were reversed). Mid-to-late-April can be the nicest weather ever.

So what are we talkin' about? What kind of pubs do ye need? Are ye lookin' in the city proper, or out in the 'burbs? (there be some nice places in the 'burbs).

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

... And then I re-read the posts. Merrydeath has herself a clear place in mind, so fergit what I were a-sayin'.

Care te tip yer hand of where ye be thinkin'?

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Well, besides a certain pub... there can & are various places to check out. Alas, would have been one hell of a time with some Tall Ships being in the vicinity between Aug & Oct... mostly, the HMS Bounty being docked there at the Navy Pier. Fine ship she be. Instantly fell in love with her. Ahhh, the helm felt so natural as I stood there. Didn't want to leave her decks. She'll be sailing up the Mississippi sometime in 2005. So, if someone gets to moving on that supposed Pirate Fest in the Quad Cities, what perfect timing that would be.

Hopefully there will be more Tall Ship opportunities in 2005. Just finding out ahead of time is rather hard. Pity.

Plus, depends more on what Toby can find out with other events... being the Jack Sparrow of the Chicagoland area. Good man & good pirate. :lol:

Not t' worry, Cap'n. I'm sure we'll keep ye'all a breast of the situation & plans.

Then again, when & what month works best for you all? What would ya like to do at an Invasion? etc. Input, gotta love it. Can't guarantee that's what we will do, but... possible to keep in mind for the future.

'course, I'll be a'keepin' m' eyes open for some ships 'round about...well, b'sides the Windy & the Windy II - some cute schooners worth of some pirate fun.

Oy! If ya haven't been to the Museum of Science & Industry yet, do so! They have that exhibit on filmmaking... & the major prop there is fantastic... it be the Jolly Roger, the ship in the recent live action "Peter Pan" with Jason Isaacs as Hook. A fantastic ship!Plus, one of the gold gowns that Keira wore in PotC is there as well.. & some PotC images. It's well worth a look see.

Mmm Lady B. that sounded fantastic! :) I know this year we were supose to have tall ships come to tall stacks, but they never came! :lol: It is my hope maybe that this year, they will be able to have them come in, now that Cincinnati is for sure funding Tall Stacks. If anyone is interested in Riverboats, that's what Tall Stacks is. Seven days of river boats sailing the Ohio. It's definately neat, and it's a beautiful ride.

I am game for anything. What are good hotels around there that don't cost a pirate king's ransom? Hubs only stayed downtown when he did IMTS setup/taketown.

I also noticed something called "Wacky Pirate Cruises" in Chicago. I'm doing some digging. :) It's more kid aligned, but hey, can't pass up wacky and pirate in the same sentence. :)

Edit!: It finally snowed!! WOOT!!!!! Well dusted us like a chocolate cake with powdered sugar! ;) I LOVE It! Now it feels like the Holidays! ;)

Lady Barbossa -- I am IN Chicago. Live in the Western Suburbs (way west.... there are camels less than a mile from my front door!), and I work downtown. My office window (14th floor) overlooks Lake Michigan, and I get to see all the boats from my unobstructed view. So... you tell me when you guys are gonna be here. I am either free or not -- but otherwise I don't need to plan to get to where I already am.

I have been to MSI a gajillion times, but have not "done" the filmmaking exhibit. Some friends have had a blast there...

Isabella: I will check for Wacky Pirate Cruise brochures in the neighboring hotel lobbies.

Speaking of hotels, "good" = "king's ransom." If you want to be downtown, your choices are limited to expensive ones. Or crappy ones.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Hard enough to say which hotels are good.

But, as to the pirate fun... :: Shrugs:: I don't know if that small boat that is on the river is still there.. looks like a pirate ship. Spotted that back in July 2003. Was rather cute.

I'm sure the lot of us can come up with something. Toby, however, will keep me abreast of any events coming up as well.

<_<

Honestly, I think I'll end up way south of Chicago, since it might fair cheaper than staying in Chicago Proper. When I talked to Hubs last night he said it was 200 a night where they stayed, plus it was all cab rides, and the parking was expensive even at the hotels.

If enough of us bunk at the same hotel, maybe we can get a group rate? I know we get a decent group rate when we do faire, because a large majority of us will stay in the same hotel. It's usually about 10 rooms per "group" rate.

I've seen some 2 and 3 start hotels near Chicago for 90.00 to 116.00 as their "April" rate. So maybe doing a group rate would be better to shave some off the top?

:) pretty much.

Aye, I may stay with someone actually that is in Joliet. But, we shall see. Could always carpool as well. Best to do that so we don't get LOST again! ;)

Hopefully, we'll have some fun on a ship or 2. alas, no news on any Tall Ships at this present time. Only the Windy or Windy 2.

;)

A special place, a special pub and special people....I am sure the Piper would love to have us for at least one night...heck...I might even come out of the hills for that :)

darkRose

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

Damn right ye'll come out t' have some fun with yer fellow pirates, Rose! :ph34r:

:ph34r: A wicked image that created in my mind, Isabella!

I've 2 pirate flags. I have yet to make my own. Soon enough. Perhaps I will have it done for the Invasion. :ph34r:

So... dare we plan this for Feb? or March?

I'm sure we may get a good lot together.... :) perhaps a dozen or so.

:ph34r:

I believe Merry was aiming for April. Right now it all depends on what the "go orders" are and most likely the largest amount of folks going. I'll be at Bristol during three day weekend regardless of when the invasion for Morgan is. :) It'll be my offically "I'm doing faire again...damnit." celebration.

Well, I suppose we should all make plans then, eh? Have a grand Invasion then as well? I'm sure that Toby aka Captain Jack Sparrow will be gracing Bristol with his presence .... as well as "Daddy" Sparrow. Smithy, as MerryD & I know him as.... well, I know his as Smithy & "Daddy"... :ph34r: LONG story there!

Maybe by then, I'll have another outfit ready. Or 2 outfits. :ph34r:

Maybe ol' Barbossa will be joining the lot of us. What a grand time we will have for sure! :ph34r::ph34r: