Aztec coins ...

There has been much talk on the board of a guy making "unauthorized" (or some other word like that) replicas of PotC props and sellin' 'em on eBay. Now, while I was trying (to no avail) to find a place to buy Hot Topic's Aztec necklace reproduction somewhere online, I came across this:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=MRDS104

My question is, if none of my local Hot Topics sell the necklace and I be up the creek, so to speak -- is this a legit sort of place to get meself a POTC pirate medallion at long last?? They have 'em on eBay too, for varying prices, but they got so many different sellers ready to pre-auction 'em off it made me nervous, trying to pick the best of the lot and so forth. To any and all of you knowledgable-about-such-things-as-this people out there, I ask: what think you of this site??

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

This is kinda one of those deals you get what you pay for and what exactly do you want...., do you want an antiqued look.., do you want a GOLD .., real gold look.., are you going to wear it., and will you wear it thru out your life?., or will it be a wall prop? All these things can run your price up or down and be fine so long as you are happy.

Well .., I got one about a year ago made from pewter with a gold plate (an original piece) however I believe pewter is sub standard garbage as far as a daily wearable and LIFETIME piece......, however it was "Perfect"in condition therefore I casted a few in RomaGold Alloy ( a gold colored alloy thru an thru non plated) also a few silver and of course my own 14k unit at 38 grams no chain.

The movie chain design doesnt have the strength to secure a real peice of gold that heavy. I chose a 24" 18k rolo.., and should have gotten a 14k Dense Cuban Curb about a 10mm X 3mm Buffed .

The Coin is big/. bear that in mind if you are thinking of a gold.., it is heavy.

With all that said., Many have popped up and are made from pewter and gold plating as well as resin (plastic prop makers use) for cheapo knock offs.

Master Replicas did an outstanding Star Trek collection recently thats for sure!! and I would bet that for 15.00 their cursed coin is well worth it.!!!

However it doesnt look gold with that antiquing thing goin on???

Knowing what I know I personally would find a good metal copy of the prop...,of course a year ago that couldnt be found.., thats why I did my own.(probably Ebay would be a good start) stay away from pewter ( as a jewelry thats garbage) hardly Aztec Gold and LOOK CLOSELY at the Detail in the outer perimeter of the coin., the triangles should be crisp with a lot of detail., and the coins edge is unmistakable., its gotta be right..............., ask fo high res photos before you buy!!

For budget coins the MR for 15 bones is a safe bet ..,and Disney Authorized that one...........................................................................

................................................................................

................................................................................

.................................................................finally.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

When it comes out, you could always have it cast in sterling then plated by a jeweler. It only itchy thing is that the piece WILL be copyrighted that your making the mold of to make your piece, so some jewelers won't touch it. Option two is, I'm learning to cast now so I might be able to make copies, but not sell them. Basically to keep it all on a good scale, you'd buy supplies to make it, then mail it to me. I'd make it, and send it back. What ever scraps are left over, I'd keep for other castings, and that would be my "payment".

Beyond that, I have no idea. Maybe if we bug Disney enough they'll come out with a good copy of it. But usually when it comes to something this heavy and detailed, it's usually done in cheap base metal for cheap cost. I want one of the copies so that I can put it in a frame with some other art pieces I've done for POTC. :)

I'm looking online right now to see if I can see if there are any possiblities of good pieces coming out. Keep your eyes on www.noblecollection.com who did all the copies for Lord of the Rings, they might be a possiblity to do something like that.

Isabella

If you cast it in RomaGold alloy you will not need to plate it.., that the point. and it is the same cost per pennyweight (1.55 gm) as silver.., Romagold alloy is the metal jewelers use to mix down 22k bullion down with to get 18.,14.,and 10k for the jewlery. Its a golden alloy thru an thru that can take the riggers of daily usage and cleaners.., really great for casting a gold tone that shines and easily cleans (like gold)

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

This is so funny because over a year ago I was offering replicas of the coin on this forum for about $10 each but absolutely no one responded.

But now Master Replica has the license so it's safer - and legal - to buy it from them.

Just as long as they don't screw up the size like they did with the lightsabers (not the scale models, but the replica ones). ;)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

10 bones is a pretty fair shake no matter what it was made of., thats a good deal.

Yea accuracy counts I dont know how the MR looks up close? I havent seen it other than a small web jpg and it was antiqued?., Gold doesnt antique.., thats actually its resounding quality so I cant figure out what the antiquing was all about?. I believe it should be 1 1/2 in diameter and 3/16 in thickness for basic dimensions.

I wonder if its a double skully for the chest scene.

Or the true HERO version with the Aztec pattern on the back as seen for a micro-second when the child elizabeth has it in her hand on the bow of the Dauntless after stealing it from the child Will Turner.

The Aztec Pattern Backed Hero coin is the coin displayed at Disneyland.

It's the hero version. Here be the pic:

aztecgold.jpg

It's pre-order now with an estimated shipping in January. I've seen dealers taking pre-orders for as low as $11 on e-Bay.

And I do have to say that, except for the lightsabers, Master Replicas is usually very accurate.

hook_banner2.jpg

I havent seen it other than a small web jpg and it was antiqued?., Gold doesnt antique.., thats actually its resounding quality so I cant figure out what the antiquing was all about?

Gold shouldn't oxidize, but there was something on the medallion in the movie, so any reproduction that is clean gold will look too shiny. Instead of antiquing, think of it as being accumulated pirate grime. :)

It's the hero version. Here be the pic:

aztecgold.jpg

It's pre-order now with an estimated shipping in January. I've seen dealers taking pre-orders for as low as $11 on e-Bay.

And I do have to say that, except for the lightsabers, Master Replicas is usually very accurate.

I have that coin, but witht the skull on both sides.

For those who might want to know, when I was at the Disney Studios back in May and saw the real coin, I can tell you it is very thin, much like a real coin. Also, it was a bit of a dark brass as opposed to bright and shiny like the ones in the treasure chest in the movie, and nothing on the back.

There are actually three different coins used. There's the one as I just mentioned, there's a double-sided skull one, and the one with the Aztec stuff on the back.

BTW- Capt. Grey, if ye have any more o' those coins left, let me know, I'd like to get another one.

Rumba Rue

**Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me** ;)

I got my coin from my guyfriend as a birthday present last year. He got it from someone he knows who made them for the movie. That person was selling some of them on Ebay and he got one before they put them up there. I wonder if they're still selling them? ^_^

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

The offer was last October when a friend was doing some props. I tried to get a big order from this forum but no one replied. Unfortunately he's not doing this one anymore.

You'll have to order one from Master Replica or an MR dealer.

I wanted to get a few that were unpainted so I could either spray paint them as gold or silver. Unpainted were $5 each.

hook_banner2.jpg

Its been since January since a casting was done but if at least 8 were interested I could get a .999 silver run done again. PM me if interested., Also Romagold alloy is Hypoallergenic., thats another reason jewelers use it to reduce gold content....., I will see if I can photo my gold 14k .,and the romagold and silver side by side and post a photo., the silver is worn daily., so its not going to have its wonderful luster unless it sits in el cheapo walmart jewelry cleaner over nite.

These are really great., think about it., why would a person use 38gm of 14k or silver if they werent...., but the pics are really horrible., old coolpix 600 ..., anyway the one with the gold chain is 14 k the silver chain is with the silver coin., and the coin with the black cord is the romagold alloy., and in person the romagold is difficult to tell from the 14k., Romagold is great., you could file it or hacksaw a gash and the color is THRU. Up close in person with a magnifying glass these have all the detail you could want.

Onward to the bad pics and they are sizable so I left the links rather than post

coin1

Coin2

Coin3

Coin4

Coin5

Coin6

By the way the MR photos look great......, LOL just like mine. I wonder what its made of and if it can take daily wear?., I will say for the price and the authorization., thats worth getting., nice collectable.

Harbormaster, those be fine replicas indeed. My friend was casting them in resin to keep the cost down, but yer romagold looks right smart (as does the silver).

What be yer askin' prices?

hook_banner2.jpg

Sent you a PM about this, HarborMaster ...

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

captainjackisback.jpg

From eBay ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

All I can say is, What the heck?!? Who would PAY ninety-eight bucks for this thing?!?!? It doesn't even look like an exact replica, for cryin' out loud ... it doesn't look right. Geez louise ...

~ John Masefield

captainjackisback.jpg

Lucky for me, though, I don't care about it being "official" ... I just want it to LOOK right. This works out well, though, since a non-official Aztec medallion is loads cheaper than what they have for auction here. So, boo-ya.

By the way, Cap'n Grey, I've been meaning to tell ya this: I adore the second line o' yer signature quote. Cracks me up every time. ;)

~ John Masefield

captainjackisback.jpg

Thank'ee, lassie. I "stole" the quote from Merrydeath; and I owe her a signature bar in exchange (still on my t'do list).

I has another one with Hook what says:

CGNotCynical.jpg

I'll probably dust it off sometime soon and use it.

hook_banner2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Slow but sure., the castor is finished., and they are from the same mold taken from my original., The silver is great but the Romagold Alloy really looks more the part. PM if interested ., a quality lifetime wearable., not plated gold in color thru the metal., and strong for years of daily usage.

the few who wanted it are already set aside for those people., so there are only a few left.