YAYY my first costume!

Charity

I had a friend visiting today who makes clothes and when i told her i'd love to have a "wench's dress", she said she could help me make it, so i'm wondering around internet looking for a "wench dress pattern" and the first one i find is BINGO.

It's just the one i love...that'll look cool for the premiƩre, with the POTC medallion B)

It was $12.50 including postage by priority mail.

'could do worse..

Wench dress pattern

I'll wait a little while making it, i want to loose some weight before i do..it's not going to be anywhere within the next five months anyways..and that's optimistic..isn't it... :(

hero.jpg

Hmm, it's a ncie pattern! You can usually find these at JoAnne's, or your local fabric/hobby store. The once I have by McCall's or Simplicity, can't remember which, is nearly the same. I has lots of fun making the bodice!

Word of warning, though...

When applying your eyelets, make sure you have some sort of tool for punching in the holes so the eyelets can be placed. The holes I had made were oddly-shaped (with scissors) and tore so that the eyelets fell out. It ruined my whole bodice! :ph34r: Also, make sure to have a strong, flat and CLEAN surface when you hammer the eyelets in... if you punch them in on concrete, the metal with get little marks in it from the uneven surface.

Hope this helps... have fun sewing!

Deviana

When applying your eyelets, make sure you have some sort of tool for punching in the holes so the eyelets can be placed. The holes I had made were oddly-shaped (with scissors) and tore so that the eyelets fell out.

I'm having a little english problem here, the eyelets, that's the metal thingies in a hole, the holes the laces go through?

I could use all the tips i can, i'm a total newbie at this LOL, i'm trying to find out who to make a boned bodice, there's just no tips or info about that on the net it seems.. :ph34r:

hero.jpg

Lass, another word of warning. It's not a costume, it's "garb".

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

OOPS *blush* my mistake.

It's not going to be all as serious as you all with the reinactment and such.

I wish, we don't have anything but pirate children things..it's always like they assume only children to be interested.

I'm just doing it for the POTC2 premiere and POTC3, and oh yes..if i ever get to go to a costumed part :)

I will have my first garb then, and IF there's ever reinactment forming in Holland i'll be able to wear it too :ph34r:

hero.jpg

We do wish you well., so many women here can give tips when in need....., But my comment here is to say..., I hope you start a new trend in Holland !!! Piratical Fashion is IN !!!! Best of Luck to ya

HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

and IF there's ever reinactment forming in Holland i'll be able to wear it too :lol:

Have you contacted the Marine Archeology Museum at Lelystad? It's home port to the Batavia and when I was there a couple of years ago, they were building a replica of The Seven Provinces. Also, there's a big Museum of Maritime History in Amsterdam. They had a repro of a VoC Indiaman and a couple of 15th century cogs.

Either one of these might be able to put you in contact with any Dutch maritime re-enactments.

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

About boning, if you have any boobage at all, plastic or 'fake whale bone' will bend like a pretzel when you bend over. and it can break if it gets very hot like in a dryer.

Most good bodices have metal pieces for the boning. And if you want good cleavage, wear a bra under the chemise.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Lass, another word of warning. It's not a costume, it's "garb".

Your on gaia too?!

okay and back to topic

Good luck on your creation venture i'm sure it till be loverly

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

I haven't been on Gaia in a very long time...

I got tired of the underage twits...

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Thanks for all the tips :)

I've been in amsterdam and i'm planning to go to Batavia yard soon!

They're building a new ship now, still the Zeven Provinciƫn, and i cannot wait to see it :)

I'm trying to get something going, we'll see if it works.

Someone said an interactive is out but something else..who knows.

Most Dutch fans are real young Jack'o fans though, but 'we'll have to live with that :D

Trying to get Dutch crews or get togethers.

hero.jpg

Does anyone else/outside of the SCA call it "Garb"?

It the scant 20+ years I have been re-enacting/living history the only time I have heard it called Garb is by SCA types.

Maybe its a medieval term for high synthetic content?

I usually hear the term "Kit" used..... meaning clothes and equipment.

Like... "I need to get my kit together for the event this weekend."

:ph34r:

GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

When I first started re-enacting, as a medievalist many moons ago, the group I was with called it garb. I believe the first time I heard it referred to as kit was by WWII re-enactors, or maybe Civil War. It sounded strange to me at the time. Now, eh... I usually just call them clothes, though kit does come in handy since it can stand in for the whole collection of odds and ends accumulated over time.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Well you hit the nail on the head as far as where I cut my re-enacting teeth...

And I guess most of the other periods I have done had a lot of former 20th Century re-enactors as well so they must have brought "Kit" with them.

Garb sounds... just.... so...... ???

And like you say, kit covers everything you pack in your car for an event. What do the "Garb" folks call the non clothing part of their..... kit?

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Does anyone else/outside of the SCA call it "Garb"?

Well now a days almost everyone refers to it as garb... 'cept m'self of course.

I refere to it as *m'rigging* :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Ouch! A bra under the chemise and then the bodice laced up over that?! :ph34r: Doesn't that hurt?

Well , you DO get used to it.

Beside, if'n I didn't use a bra as well under m'bodice... when I duel I'd most likely put someones eye out!

Live and learn lass, live and learn! LOL!! :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Oh god..that means i'll have to wear one under it also :ph34r: I once mistakingly tried on a pregnancy bra which looked normal and hung in the wrong place between teh average bra.

Now it looked normal except for the front closing but it was sooo soft and pleasent to wear (why don't they make'm that nice and soft for non pregnant women? :ph34r: ) so...i didn't take it as i thought it was weird, but i think i'll get one for under the dress :ph34r:

hero.jpg

I refer to my outfit/garb/costume/kit

as well... mine usually.

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff