If ye were a-makin' a pirate film...

Rosalinda... you say rock music worked for you in the film... Knights tale... I have to agree with you on that one. But, then again, it was Queen playing on that one. Wich in my opinion is really good music and true rock and roll. I just cannot get into SOME... I said some not all......... of the head banging, can't understand a word your screaming, ear piercing stuff, people want to call rock and roll........ but, now thats for a different forum i would think....... The Capt.

I agree. My ears are too well refined (from years of Pink Floyd and Bob Dylan) to even think of listening to heavy metal. What I call Rock&Roll is more along the lines of late 60s to the late 70s and beyond in some cases. You know, the really GOOD music. Not the head-banging stuff. So, when I say "rock on" I don't mean "bite the head off the bat.".

And I'm not that much of a Queen fan (although they were very good at the Anthem-type material), but it seemed to work for that particular movie...along with, who was it, SuperTramp or Rush or some band like that...maybe there was some Foghat, I don't recall. And some David Bowie. What ever it was, I think they geared it for a particular audience.

Frankly, I loved the POTC soundtrack and like BIG, original, orchestrated scores for epic adventure films.

As long as there's none of that musical nonsense ie "The Hills Are Alive With The Sound Of MUZAK!" becuase I really hate musicals and because I'd hafta kill the persons sitting next to me if whatever I was watching on the screen suddenly broke out in a sing-along, a la Elvis Presley movies.

:lol:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MadMaryFlint: I believe you and Rosalinda are right about A Knight's Tale. I loved that movie so much that I bought it. But, I have to say, when the people started dancing and singing "We Will Rock You", that kind of threw me. It was interesting, and the songs were well chosen. I watched a behind the scenes show on that movie, and the movie makers were saying how they wanted to score the movie differently than any other movie set in medieval times. No soft bagpipe, bodhrain music there. Hard rock!

Pirate Lass Suliel: So, I guess that the last pirate musical you cared to know about was when Kevin Kline was wearing thigh high boots while listening to a guy sing Modern Major General, huh? :huh:

EVERYBODY!

I am the very model of a modern Major-General,

I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,

I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical

From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;

I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,

I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,

About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,

With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse!

:lol:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

• 2 weeks later...

On the Music issue it would definatly be instumental. But I am not entirelly opposed to it being heavy. Maybe we could dig up Yngwie Malmsteen or Tony MacAlpine to compose the score. The Mix of lightning fast arpeggios played on a statocaster with a big orchestra behind them while watching a sword fight...it works for me. So that is the Music.

I am looking forward to Master and Commander and Ridley's Scotts Tripoli next year.

As for my script. Well it would be the Romantic story of a French noble man, banished from home and travels to the Carribean. He meets up with some Pirates and joins their Crew. And then it would just be one Big Epic Battle Scene. Especially when his 1/2 brother Captain in the Royal Navey comes to bring him home.

As for Cast. Jim Caviezal, Oded Ferh, Guy Pierce, Guys that can act but would not require big paychecks.... :ph34r:

On the Music issue it would definatly be instumental. But I am not entirelly opposed to it being heavy. Maybe we could dig up Yngwie Malmsteen or Tony MacAlpine to compose the score. The Mix of lightning fast arpeggios played on a statocaster with a big orchestra behind them while watching a sword fight...it works for me. So that is the Music.

I am looking forward to Master and Commander and Ridley's Scotts Tripoli next year.

As for my script. Well it would be the Romantic story of a French noble man, banished from home and travels to the Carribean. He meets up with some Pirates and joins their Crew. And then it would just be one Big Epic Battle Scene. Especially when his 1/2 brother Captain in the Royal Navey comes to bring him home.

As for Cast. Jim Caviezal, Oded Ferh, Guy Pierce, Guys that can act but would not require big paychecks.... :lol:

I like the idea of Jim Caviezal & Oded!

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Capt. WE Roberts- Danny Elfman on music. Genius. No Knight's Tale crap...sorry everyone, it be on my top 10 worst movies of all times. Granted Heath Ledger is easy on the eyes and ears but poor boy just can't act his way out of a paper sack. I still go and see all his movies anyway for the drool factor.

Any plot is fine as long as there be friggin' in the riggin' and every one dies in the end (good and evil).

Tons of combat- just NOT choregraphed or taught by Bob Anderson whose older than the hills and outdated. Let's get some young blood.

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

Hmm.. I'll toss in my Pieces of Eight in this.

I haven't had much thought about a pirate movie. I think that PotC was pretty much it. The music is fantastic! I constantly listen to the soundtrack. Pissy german music is what a friend of mine calls it. :)

Treasure Island with Charlton Heston was rather well done. The music was ok.

I'm hoping that if they do do more PotC, that they expand a bit more with pirate legends.

I know a few peeps that still pray that a Goonies 2 will be done. Not sure about that one though.

I guess PotC would have been my perfect pirate movie... & it currently is. :) Glad they did it. I LOVE the 18th Century! :( I especially LOVED seeing a ton of men in breeches! Has a major affect upon us women. :(

Huzzah!

:(

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Stewart Townsend would be wonderful in a Pirate Movie...Did anyone see in in League of Extrordinary Gentleman? At least he can handle a sword.

Still the Music debate rages on...so I assume none of you have everherd of Yngwie Malmsteen?

Well he is famed for translating Paginini pieces to Elecrtric Guitar. His earlier stuf is quite good.

The PotC is just phenomenal...I do not know where they found Klaus Badelt but he is Brilliant.

My second choice for Score woud be James Horner...LotR, Mask of Zorro. He has a wonderful way of melding period instruments with a modern symphony.

Au Revoir

Daydreamed of another lusty lad who I think would make an excellent pirate- how about Stuart Townsend, who played Lestat in Queen of the Damned? A lucious rogue of a bad boy!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

I'm still getting over my flutters of him as Dorian Gray in LXG.

I know, I know...I should be ashamed...

*hangs head*

But my word..make him a pirate and well....excuse me. I'll be over there...*points* Sewing. A lot.

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

So we come up with the ultimate male cast for a ship in our movie, yeah? Stuart Townsend, Johnny Depp, Oded Fehr, Jim Caviezal, Guy Pearce, quite a crew of very pretty boys.. heehee.. and that hot guy from Port Royal Privateers, Louie... harhar

:(

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

ok.so now we have the men.what about the women?or is this going to be a slash and burn movie?

I think Alison Hanigan(willow from buffy) would make a great female pirate.

or maybe jodie foster

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

I'm not really up for a Slash flick...kinda knocks the romance right out from underneath it for me.

Personally, I like Jessica Lange. She's woman enough to stand up to any Pirate or Captain..or any other man. She was fabulous in Rob Roy... actually fabulous in everything I've ever seen her in.

Mature, sexy, wise, strong, independent, beautiful...

As long as Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock aren't in it, or Britany Spears, I'll be happy. Over used actresses, totally over rated singer... can't understand that phenomenon of Britany Spears at all.

Oh! How about Gillian Anderson aka Dana Scully? Love, her, too. She gives great eyebrow... arches it like crazy... which would come in very handy in a Pirate flick.

Would still like to see Benicio del Toro in some swashbuckling adventure. (Remember him in Traffic?) He's a GREAT actor.

First of all let me clear up a boneheaded statement of which I should be tied to the mast and flogged for...The LOTR Soundtracks were done by Howard Shore ok so now that it out of the way...

Ok men are out of the Way...except for the villians...Christopher Walken, Harvey Keitael or even Geoffrey Rush

Now the Women: Kate Winslet, Katherine Zeta Jones-Douglas, Ashely Judd, Kate Beckinsale, Peta Wilson. Strong Women who I would love to Wet, sweating covered in soot and blood and climbing thru the rigging. Aaahh bring back memories of my girl Geena Davis...Who could still pull it off . :D

Had to snicker over that classic Freudian slip DuCouer!! That was great!!

I agree Kate Winslet would be a great heroine, maybe Drew Barrymore too?

And Walkin gets my vote for a villian- I think that Gary Busey would also make a good one

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

I refuse to comment on my pirate film... since I'm putting the finishing touches on the treatment right now.

My first post, Hoody Hoo! :ph34r:

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Welcome Young...

Ye may think o' posting your arrival in another section such as Rabble Rousing so that more scallywags will see it.

The more know's that your here... the more likely you are .... :ph34r: to have the honour of buying the next round of drinks!!

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif