Making a pirate flag

Red Maria

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Often some of the symbols do have meanings. A Red flag would indicate that no mercy would be given during an attack. For more information on what each symbol means check out The Jolly Roger

Hope it helps matey

Rosz

Hey ho ho/ You'll cruise to foreign shores/ And you'll keep your mind and body sound/ By working out of doors

Tim Curry-"A Professional Pirate" from Muppet Treasure Island

Arr Captain Weaver,

To sew nylon proper like, do you need a special needle and or thread  question.gif

hey Stynky,

wasn't ignoring you,just missed yer post.

:huh:

when I sew nylon,I use a regular sailmaker's needle that is just big enough to take the thread I'm using in the needle eye.

I use a modified sail stitch with the fabric envelope folded where pieces are fitted together and sewn with a loop made with each stitch by going through the same hole twice with each stitch before going on to the next.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Here is a photo of the flag I made from scratch. I've been thinking about adding some crossed bones on each side of the skull. It's me personal colors.

Rosz :huh:

My flag

Hey ho ho/ You'll cruise to foreign shores/ And you'll keep your mind and body sound/ By working out of doors

Tim Curry-"A Professional Pirate" from Muppet Treasure Island

Red Maria,

I found that adhesive I used to iron my design on my flag. It be called HeatnBond Ultrahold Iron On Adhesive. I purchased it from a craft or sewing store (probably Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics). Works great.

Good luck with your own flag.

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

Red Maria,

I found that adhesive I used to iron my design on my flag. It be called HeatnBond Ultrahold Iron On Adhesive. I purchased it from a craft or sewing store (probably Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics). Works great.

Good luck with your own flag.

Thanks! You're really are a gem Pearl. :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Thanks! You're really are a gem Pearl. :)

Shhhh........... dare not say that too loud or me reputation may be ruined! :ph34r:

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

Does anyone out there made their own flags?  What materials did you use? How did you put symbols on the flag? Painted on? Sewn on?

Next time we have an encampment, check out Barracuda's flag or my flag. We got them about 8 or 9 years ago from Baron von Eisenfaust (you probably don't remember him). He painted the designs on and bound the edges with a gold & black cording. He also hemmed a side edge and put in brass grommets. I've taken mine to events and had it hanging on one of the poles all weekend for all these years, and it's held up very well.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Does anyone out there made their own flags?  What materials did you use? How did you put symbols on the flag? Painted on? Sewn on?

Next time we have an encampment, check out Barracuda's flag or my flag. We got them about 8 or 9 years ago from Baron von Eisenfaust (you probably don't remember him). He painted the designs on and bound the edges with a gold & black cording. He also hemmed a side edge and put in brass grommets. I've taken mine to events and had it hanging on one of the poles all weekend for all these years, and it's held up very well.

I'll do that Lorilei. I've been waiting for someone close by who had made their own flag so I could see how it was done.

Thanks! :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Ahoy, I'm just finishing my first pirate flag. Its about 3' x4" and made of Black linen. The skull and crossed swords are of heavy weight 7 oz. white linen. I used heat bond on the white, to keep it from fraying while I was working on it and to hold it down while I whip stiched all around the edges. The flag is otherwise hand sewn. The flag is double sided. A great source for linen is the Fabrics-store.com, very good prices. I used Ilo19 black and Ilo14 Bleached for the flag.

• 3 weeks later...

Serious pirate flags...how did they make them in the 1600-1700's ? Paint on black fabric? I can't see them sitting around doing applique.

I'd thought to try painting a black backround to unbleached muslin...it won't need to sail (boatless).....do like the well used look...what's the point of a Jolly Roger is it's never seen some action? wrap it around some rocks and rub it on the sidewalk to give it a few shreds.....drag it behind the car?

Does anyone out there made their own flags? What materials did you use? How did you put symbols on the flag? Painted on? Sewn on?

If'en I was you, I'd make it out of cotton duck (5-6 dollars a yard and available in many colors) And paint the design on with exterior paint. Use bias tape on the edges then scotchgaurd the fire outta it. The duck is heavy and should wear well, but it won't have a lot of flutter to it.

Laura Hutton

"The Dread Pirate Red"

Bosun o the Lady Inebriata

:huh:

Some of the pirate flags were captured...must be in museums or mentioned in books...has anyone read how the pirates made them? lots of info on what the designs were.....not a mention of what-they-were-made-of (how could they skip that? ....inquiring minds want to know)

(kind 'a pirate what doesn't have a ship matey, we makes do with what we got 'til some fair-treasure-laden-gift-of-the-sea crosses our path). me flag will hang on me wall 'til it has somewhere else to go...

Remember most sailors are a deft hand with a needle - gotta be with all that canvas overhead...

I've heard a way to make a double sided flag is to make whatever it is you want to show on your flag, i.e. skull & crossbones (or what have you) - then, cut a hole in the banner/flag that matches your design but make the hole a bit smaller. Then, stitch the design to the hole (*sigh* it's late, kinda hard to describe...) any how, you end up with the design visible from both sides, not an applique per se', just a patchwork I guess.

(or, like the muppets, you could knit a jolly roger... or, not..)

:lol::lol:

• 6 months later...

I haven't made an actual flag yet but I finally finished my design. My avatar is the black version and I want to make a red version as well. I'm thinking a good trigger cloth should do for the body and I'll try my hand at painting it on first then if I get a good drunk on maybe I'll try my hand at sewing it......later....

You really don't have to worry about a flag being made out something too heavy to fly. Old flags were usually made out of a wool similar to broadcloth. I've made pirate flags out of heavy cotton with double thicknesses, and it flew beautifully. The skull, or whatever was sewn on. Sewed it on 2 separate fields, then sewed them together. ....after all, Viking sails were a heavy wool, and they flew just fine!

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Awwww.... c'mon now, Stynky, I know ye knows how to make a proper flag, and ye has me affy-davy on that !!!!!!!

>>>> Cascabel

Aye, well I guess you could say that I've dabbled in a bit of flag making.

And if I do say so meself, here be a fine example of a pirate flag that be sewed and not silk screened or mass produced. Though you'll have to excuse the guy standing in front blocking the view, he looks to be the same bloke that were running around at PIP last year, pretending to be you.

Mvc-007f.jpg