Making a pirate flag

Red Maria

I want to make myself a pirate flag. I have the design ready but have no idea how to make one other than starting with a large rectangular peice of cloth. Does anyone out there made their own flags? What materials did you use? How did you put symbols on the flag? Painted on? Sewn on? Does anyone know how the Golden Age pirates such as Blackbeard or Calico Jack made theirs?

Thanks for any help.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I ain't never made a pyrate flag, but a friend and I made a 3'x5' Chicago Bears flag for her son's birthday in this fashion -- I sketched the roaring bear's face on tissue paper, using a hat with a Bears logo for a model. I used the tissue paper like a pattern to cut out the bear from orange fabric. She machine embroidered all the details onto the bear's face, then machine embroidered the bear onto the navy blue background, along with lettering cut out of the same orange fabric as the bear's face that said "Chicago Bears." We added several sets of vertical orange stripes sewn onto the navy blue background. Added grommets and reinforcement for the grommets. That flag is over 12 years old and still flyin' proudly!

The Pyromaniac Pirate

Ahoy there Red Maria,

I would think that flags were made out of what ever material was available and could be found on hand for that time period. Like maybe a black wool or linen blanket, stitched with a bit of sail cloth for the design. That would probably be fine for the less desiring pirate, at least until some stronger weight canvas and a good seamstress could be found a shore.

I actually want to make a pirate flag me self, don’t have the design just yet.

I'm egar to see what you do though! If you don't mind sharing, it would be great to see some in-progress pictures of what you end up doing.

Ahoy there Red Maria,

I would think that flags were made out of what ever material was available and could be found on hand for that time period. Like maybe a black wool or linen blanket, stitched with a bit of sail cloth for the design. That would probably be fine for the less desiring pirate, at least until some stronger weight canvas and a good seamstress could be found a shore.

I actually want to make a pirate flag me self, don’t have the design just yet.

I'm egar to see what you do though! If you don't mind sharing, it would be great to see some in-progress pictures of what you end up doing.

The background will be red, the rest of desing I'll revel as I go along. :D

Material will be what my pocket book will bear. I'd love silk! But it will proably be canvas. Time to hit the new Gold Line to downtown LA and hit the garment district! Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera for pictures.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

How about cotton canvas? Any idea what weight? What other fabrics are flags made of? I'd like to avoid synthetics if I can. Something that'l flutter nicely in the wind. :D Also how big should it be? I want it to be seen but I have only so much storage space. Suggestions on size and how much yardage?

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Alla the labor is in sewing, so pick a fabric worthy of your time. Heavy flies longer, lite flutters, but won't take windage. Unfair for me to voice opinions as my ship is real, dictating heavy weather everything. I've worn out at least a dozen, not counting ensigns :D:D:D

Arr, now that be something I didn't think about... the fabric weight and how well it fly’s.

Since I won't likely fly mine proper, I will probably go with a light-medium weight cotton canvas for the base and use some lighter unbleached cotton canvas for the design. Then I'll tatter the edge a bit with some sand paper and maybe boil the whole thing with some tea bags.

:)

I made the Bears flag outa slightly less than jeans-weight cotton, the appliques outa broadcloth. O'course, it don't fly onna ship, jest a flagpole here in Tornado Alley on Sundays during football season. For the last twelve years. Important thing is to reinforce the grommets.

The Pyromaniac Pirate

B) A lot of commercial flags are 3x5, I've several, typical 'large' flag. My ensigns for the aft gaff are 10X16 B)

When I went online to find out more info on flag making I found this chart on flag size vs pole size

EXPOSED POLE HEIGHT

FLAG SIZE

20 FEET

3' x 5'

25 FEET

4' x 6'

30 FEET

5' x 8'

35 FEET

6' x 10'

40 FEET

8' x 12'

EXPOSED POLE HEIGHT

FLAG SIZE

45 FEET

8' x 12'

50 FEET

10' x 15'

60 FEET

12' x 18'

70 FEET

15' x 25'

80 FEET

20' x 30'

I guess size dose matter for a pole! B)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

B) Hmmmm, Ships' got masts, I got a 'pole', but on my better days, it'll ne'er do 80 feet!, Anyway, regarding ships(we are pirates, right?), on ships with two or more masts,period like, the ensign is flown on the aftmost starboard side of gaff, pennants or dusters from the main. On a short staff(ships have staffs and pigsticks,no poles) at he jibboom or bowsprit while at anchor, stern staff under way without working sails... B)

B) A lot of commercial flags are 3x5, I've several, typical 'large' flag. My ensigns for the aft gaff are 10X16 B)

While surfing on the web for flag making info I came acsross this chart on flag vs polr size:

EXPOSED POLE HEIGHT

FLAG SIZE

20 FEET

3' x 5'

25 FEET

4' x 6'

30 FEET

5' x 8'

35 FEET

6' x 10'

40 FEET

8' x 12'

EXPOSED POLE HEIGHT

FLAG SIZE

45 FEET

8' x 12'

50 FEET

10' x 15'

60 FEET

12' x 18'

70 FEET

15' x 25'

80 FEET

20' x 30'

I guess size does matter when it comes to hanging one's pole! B)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

if ya want ta make a less expensive flag that will fly for years,but not be made outa 'period' materials,then thin nylon or for a lotta years wear,use ripstop nylon.fabric stores often sell this fabric as kite material-it is thin, flutters beautifully and will last a good number of years.

they also sell a more expensive nylon just for flag making.we're talking 20 years ,no fade,takes the punishment,but you will pay the price for it.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

I made me own 3'x5' pirate flag. Used lightweight cotton broadcloth (black blackground). Sewed on bias tape around the edges for red border. The edge with the grommets had a wide thick white canvas tape sewn on (the canvas holds the grommets well). I used cotton broadcloth for design on flag. I used an iron on double sided adhesive (from craft store). The iron on adhesive was ironed on the uncut design. Then design was cut out (cut a mirror image of design out if you want a double sided flag). Design was positioned on one side of flag and ironed on to stick. Flag was flipped over and design positioned to mirror the other side and then ironed on. The adhesive sticks really well, but I added liquid seam sealer to edges to ensure all edges stayed sealed with use and abuse. I've used this flag for 3 years now with no repairs- looks great! Light enough to blow beautifully in the breeze.

Make sure to wash, dry, and iron all the cloth before you start making the flag so it won't shrink if you need to run it through the washer later on when it gets dirty.

Black Pearl

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

I made me own 3'x5' pirate flag... <snip> won't shrink if you need to run it through the washer later on when it gets dirty.

Black Pearl

Black Pearl

This seems like a nice practical flag for a beginner like meself. I had considered painting the design on since me background is in fine art (BFA art school in painting), rather that sewing (considering stretching flag over stretcher bars like a canvas and painting with marine paint.). I have no sewing machine (OTOH a costuming teacher once said I shouldn't be let near one, as they tend to break down whenever I get close. said I was a jinx ;-) )and that much hand sewing I admit filled me with dread! I had forgot about stitch witchery if that's what you meant. I would like to keep it as period as possible but I will take your advice into consideration. One questions Did you edge the design in black?

Thanks

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Red Maria,

Nears as I recall, it wasn't stitch witchery webbing but an actual double sided sheet of adhesive. I could be wrong. If I find the leftover stuff I used, I'll see if it says what it is.

As for edging the design in black, no I did not. But, that's your artistic decision.

Glad I could be of service to ye....

Black Pearl

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

I made a flag for a haunted ship event I put together. I took a 3'x10' black penant from my ship. To that I sewed a simple skull and cross bones that I cut from a white towel. The overall effect made it look like an older flag and the fact that it was a pennant made it stand out.

I'll look for a photo of it otherwise I'll have to pull it out of storage a take a photo of it.

arrghh!

Rosz :ph34r:

Hey ho ho/ You'll cruise to foreign shores/ And you'll keep your mind and body sound/ By working out of doors

Tim Curry-"A Professional Pirate" from Muppet Treasure Island