Looking for a hat

Christine

You're most welcome, Christine.

::Looks at Barbossa:: Devil.

::plays with feathers on my hat:: Ya could've had mine,.. but ya wanted the old one back. Tis a pity.

Aye.. Christine.. I can make ya one like mine.... is much alike to the Barbossa hat. Tis easy.

::looks at Barbossa; shakes head::

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

christine i have recently bought a jas. townsend & son hat blank and couldnt be happier and added my own trim and am having it shaped at a western store to pass the fuss to someone else. i definately recomend them they will have it to you within a week of ordering and any western store will shape for roughly $5- 10

I would stay away from the hats with the wire in the brim. They are constantly in need of reshaping - especially when they're stuffed into a car, bumped into in a bar and sailing near and far. They are a real pain to keep it looking good... I haven't seen one yet keep it's shape...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

....OH i cant wait tills me gets me Straw hat!

When I was in Hot Topic last week, looking for the PotC necklace that some of their stores carry, I saw something that looked suspiciously like a straw cowboy hat with a black skull and crossbones painted on the front. Depending on how flexible the straw is, it might not be very difficult to reshape into a tricorn. :D

Christine-

Fer twenty bucks er less, ye can make yer own.

It be as simple as purchasing a nice wide brimmed "sun hat" at yer local mall or what not.

Yank up one, two or three sides O' the brim and then add yer trim and feathers!

Thar ye be!

I have made two so far. Me and me wifes. I think they look good. I have had people ask to buy them from me!

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

My hat arrived from Jas Townsend, fast and easy! I've trimmed off the crimped edge, but I'm still deciding on how I want to bend it. The brim bends up easily and I’m thinking just a few stitches of thread is all it will take to hold the shape.

I’ll keep ya posted. ;)

;)UPDATE ;)

It is time for the grand unveiling of my hat so I added a picture to my profile for your viewing pleasure. I ended up sewing on two buttons to hold the front bends up and on the rear I just put a stitch through so it holds but you can’t see it. I was going to add some trim to the edge but if proved to be too difficult so I scratched the idea. ;)

wil22.gif

::removes big black feathered hat; bows deeply;:: ye b' most welcome, Christine.

I'm kickin' m'self I didn't have a little extra cash to buy ya a hat black at Cantigny this past weekend. But.. tis ok... since I was not impress with them. Let alone I haven't an idea you hat size... that's a must before I start working on it. :) Let me know what it is. & I can make you your Barbossa hat.. cause I did spot some more items that would make it more like the actual Barbossa hat.. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :lol:

:rolleyes:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

It is time for the grand unveiling of my hat so I added a picture to my profile for your viewing pleasure. I ended up sewing on two buttons to hold the front bends up and on the rear I just put a stitch through so it holds but you can’t see it. I was going to add some trim to the edge but if proved to be too difficult so I scratched the idea.

Firethorn, it looks good! which hat blank did you buy, or is there only one? TIA

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Aye, Wil, looks great! And ye be a good-looking gent as well! :)

Oh, my hat size? Well, not sure. I usually just try on hats and whatever fits, fits. I measured my head and it's 23 inches around. So, then what does that make the size? :D

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have three different hats.....

One is made from a black Jas Townson hat blank. I filled the top with boiling water... let is soak through, then stretched the top over a coffee can to reshape it (dumped the boiling water out first....). I then folded black ribbon over the edges, and hand sewed through one edge of the ribbon... through the brim... and caught the other edge of the ribbon..... stiched one side to how it up..... (see picture to left) I should look up the part on using either lacqre or varnish flakes and alchohol to stiffin the brim....

I also have two "tarpaulin" hats that I made.... one is small, about the size of a "Boonie hat" and the other is the "classic" pyrate hat with a wide brim.... they are sewn from canvas, that is then painted with a heavy coat of black oil base paint. The paint makes them kind of hard, but it also makes them waterproof.