Looking for a hat

Christine

Anyone from the San Diego area, need some help here. Where be a good place to get meself a good pirate-type hat. Preferably one with feathers and a nice wide brim. I found one at Comic Con, was simply perfect, til I saw the price, close to $200! I about flipped! It's a bloody hat, what the hell! So, any suggestions? :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Depend on what you want (doesn't it always! :rolleyes: )

If you want an "authentic" read historically accurate tricorne..

englishtri.jpg

Clearwater Hats

Kitty Hatsmade mine a few years ago (A source in the UK)

you can also GOOGLE felt hat blank and make one yourself...

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Make your own. Buy a felt hat blank, cock it yourself, and trim it with whatever makes you happy. Stick a feather in it and call yourself macaroni if you so desire.

Or, I'll do it for you, and only charge you $100.

:rolleyes:

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'm always an advocate of Excalibur Leather. I bought a cavalier hat probably ten years ago. They are very sturdy and age very well. http://www.excaliburleather.com/

Actually the hat I bought, now that I look at the website is closer to the butch cassidy style with a wider brim.

The Duchess

probibly cause the exact thing is owned by disney there fore they copyright the shit out of it

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Make your own. Buy a felt hat blank, cock it yourself, and trim it with whatever makes you happy. Stick a feather in it and call yourself macaroni if you so desire.

Or, I'll do it for you, and only charge you $100.

Blackjohn

Where do you buy one? I looked into most of the fabric stores and they don't have it.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I usually buy them at events, that way I can get a look at what is available. But, as GoF suggests, you can go online and do a search for felt hat blanks.

I generally don't like these guys, but it's kinda hard to screw up a blank...

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=249

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

:rolleyes: why is it they never get Capt. Sparrow's hat just right?

....OH i cant wait tills me gets me Straw hat!

Probably because when they started making/selling those hats there was no "Captain Sparrow." A little movie, a little name change, a little price hike...lots of clones. -_-

The Duchess

Try ebay Christine...

Every once in awhile I get lucky and find a bunch o things there...or at least links to stores with the stuff I want.

Just type in a search under "pirate hat" and see what comes up.

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.

Yes! What Armorist said!

I bought a "Cavelier Hat" last year at one of those Halloween Superstores for $12. One side was already pulled up and attached with velcro. I simply pulled up two more sides, stapled them in place and - voila! - instant tricorn. It even came with a red feather but I replaced that with a couple of dyed ostrich feathers.

It's not perfect or historically accurate, but it is cheap. :rolleyes:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

There was some discussion about disney's lack of licensing POTC stuff, and apparently, they will license the snot outta animated movies, popular or not (hence the tons of Hunchback of Notredame stuff in th dollar stores), but will not sell live-action film-related stuff. Somebody missed the boat there, eh?

Sooo, everyone with access to cheap pirate hats will be sellin' them as POTC hats. official or not. Then there's that jerk--Pirates R US on E-bay. Don't get us started on his "authentic" props.

But then who really wants a perfect Jack Sparrow Hat? Piratitude is all about individuality, isn't it? :)

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

or you could go to a Ren. fest or other fair, it be where I got mine......

hat002.jpg

o course I got mine in 95 so I couldn't tell you a price on em

:lol:

hat001.jpg

wouldn't ya know it, right as I be taken the pic me cat walks by n sticks er tail in tha shot.

"They'll have to kill me before I die"

jollyroger.gif

Nice hat Toe Cutter! I do agree that a fest or faire of some sort be the best way to buy. That way you can try things on sample the compliments, and generally feel special for giving up the hard won cash. It makes a better experience over all than the internet...

Here's to cats! Mine has taken to eating my plumes and sleeping on me chain maille.

The Duchess

I have had really good luck purchasing blanks through www.blockaderunner.com. Blank will run $15.00 plus shipping. Comes in four color choices. Refered to as a "slouch hat" in their catalog listing. As for shaping, check Black Deacon's advice in this forum under "Felt Hat Blank" by Mick MacAnselan. What he describes is basicly the way we do it. Good luck, lass.

Privateer & Commander of "Finnegan's Wake"

Faodaidh fearg sealltainn a strigh air cridh an duine ghlic, ach comhnaichdh i an amadain.

(Anger may look in on a wise man's heart, but it abides in the heart of a fool.)

Thank ye all for the different ideas and suggestions. On my next day off I had already planned to check out the Halloween stores. There's this huge one in Vista. Those of you who live in the same area probably know which one I'm referring to. It's that one in the Target Greatland and Walmart plaza. I also want to check out that hat store down in Sea Port Village as well. The next ren faire isn't til Halloween weekend here in Escondido. Since it's one of the smaller faires, hats might not be as expensive. Like at San Bernadino faire that is. Well, we shall see what happens. :)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Champion Attitude Boots has just released there "Sparrow" version tricorn. the beauty of this is that., just like their boots you can call joey on the phone and choose color .,leather type .,size.,brim width., anything.,(My boots arent even listed.,everything was customed) .

there leather is very thick and very very soft. I am looking forward to a hat from them to add to my collection

Champions Sparrow Tricorn

Here's Rhum in yer eye

:ph34r: HarborMaster :ph34r:

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Christine... how's about a deal here... I need to learn how to make hats & find out the cost... How's about I make ya one. Be great for me to experiment. No charge to ya since it's a prototype.

How you want it to look though? :D IM me when you can, m'dear.

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!