What are you reading

I just got finished reading The Crimson book of Pirates by Peter Newark. It was ok. Gave breif histories of pirates and piracy in general. I also read The Wake of the Predido Star by the actor Gene Hackman. it was pretty good. The way it ended, there may be more to follow. I also have the Osprey books and they'er pretty good.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Capt. Flint - when you find the title let me know the book about shipwrecks and pirates around Cape May. As this is where I live, I'd be interested.

I have a book a friend of mine gave me when we stayed with her in Ocean View (near Cape May). It is: "Shipwrecks and Legends 'Round Cape May" by David J. Seibold and Charles J. Adams III, 1987. Maybe www.abe.com or www.alibris.com might have it sometime. It's just a little booklet, but has an interesting bit about Israel Hands (of Blackbeard's crew, the one he shot in the knee). Says that Hands (actually called "Hand", minus the "s") came from Cape May, and returned there after BB was killed and his crew tried at Williamsburg. And there's something about a treasure clue. And other items about other pirates that have visited the area.

My friend told me there were a lot of people named "Hand" who live there now.

Hope this helps,

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

:unsure:

just finished one of the "under the black flag" books (very good!) and have moved on to"a general history of the pyrates" by daniel defoe. and from the introduction....i'll be readin this puppy for awhile. (not an easy read)

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

• 1 month later...

...*Ahem!*...(breathes on knuckles, rubs them on weskit')...'Walked downtown, saw this one, and picked it up off the shelf.."Sausalito Walking Boat Tour",.'A Three Mile Walk With Historical Footnotes'....A virtual tour of the classic vessels in the many harbors of the marina community of Sausalito, describing in great detail facts on each example....And, *TA-DA!*..at the end of Pelican Harbour, the Herreshoff Ketch 'ORCA', and, 'o course, yours truely, the ROYALISTE....... :(

Been reading Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series of books. Also, "Fighting Ships" By Richard Hough, "Sea Sense" By Richard Henderson, "The History of American Sailing Ships" by Howard I. Chapelle, and been browsing through "The Norton Encyclopedic Dictionary of Naviagtion" by David F. Tver.

Being a avid reader, that does not include texts that are separate from sailing and pirates. Nor does it include items found surfing the net.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Let' see.. currently reading "The Pirate Round", James Nelson; "Face Down Before Rebel Hooves", KathyLynne Emerson (elizabethan mystery); "The Armada Campaign", Angus Konstam (Osprey Campaign 86), and "English Civil War Fortifications 1642-51", Peter Harrington (Osprey Fortress 9). Plus some magazine articles and web downloads on 16th and 17th c military history.

Hawkyns

:(

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 1 month later...

Re-reading Captured By Pirates, by John Richard Stephens, with an eye toward 1815 era garbing and arming ideas.

Also reading The History of Pirates, by Angus Konstam, and Great Days of Whaling, by Henry Hough.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 3 years later...

Just finished On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers, which I really enjoyed. Poor book took a beating, though. I had been reading it on the back deck at my summer place, and accidentally left it outside in a torrential thunderstorm. Took a while to dry out. It looks properly weathered now.

And now, I've just started:

WO-04b.jpg

... which actually has an okay plot and writing so far (making allowances for the genre), but isn't very steamy.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

At the moment I am reading: War at Sea in the Age of Sail by Andrew Lambert.

I am also still reading Culpeper's Color Herbal and another book called Viruses, Plagues & History by Michael B. A. Oldstone

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows :)

It'll be put on hold though, as I'm not taking that one to London with me (too bulky).

For the long hours on the Eurostar I'll take "Agents of Light and Darkness" along from Simon R. Green (book 2 in his Nightside series, which I can recommend to everyone as it's fantastic) :lol:

And when that's finished I'm going to start on "Drinking Midnight Wine" also by Simon R. Green (albeit not of the Nightside series).

i just read a small one called 101 things to know about irish history.its pretty informed recap of all of irelands history fromthe days of prehistory to now.

im about to start "the expressions of emotions in man and animals" from darwin.

Smuggler's Moon by Bruce Alexander

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Just finished A Movable Feast by Hemingway and enjoyed it very much. Currently about done with Niccolo Rising by Dorothy Dunnett (One of my all-time favorite authors). I have a friend who is loaning me several Harry Potter books to read, as I'm only up to The Goblet of Fire - so I'll be on a HP binge for awhile. Then back to the Niccolo series.

Anyone else a complusive reader like me, who reads two or three books at the same time?

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Anyone else a complusive reader like me, who reads two or three books at the same time?

In a word, yes ;)

Fiction wise I'm reading The Princess Bride by William Goldman & The Unicorn Secret Trilogy by Kathleen Dury, out loud to the little swab.

Non-fiction wise I'm reading The Coffeehouse, a cultural history by Markham Ellis, The Social Life of Cofee by Brian Cowan & Food of the Gods: A Cultural History of the Medicinal and Ritual Use of Chocolate from The American Society for Nutritional Sciences.

Not to mention a friend of mine at the college just got me access to the JSTOR archives. I don't even know where to begin there! I might have to stop sleeping all together if I want to even make a dent in this "to read" list. It's no wonder I have to take notes to remember anything, I'm usually reading so much at once.

:lol:

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog