Pirate Stores to Visit

No pirate's visit to San Francisco is complete without a visit to 826 Valencia. Don't let the simple name fool you, this store is 100% pirate!

826 Valencia was started by the author of a best-selling book that wanted to give something back to his community. So with the proceeds from his book, he started a program that offers free writing workshops, seminars, tutoring and homework help, SAT coaching, classes on how to make greeting cards and even on how to write letters to the colleges you want to attend. All of this is offered to the children of San Francisco at no charge.

What funds these programs is the pirate store that is in the streetfront of the building at 826 Valencia St. in San Francisco. Walk in the front door and you'll feel as if you just stepped aboard an old sailing ship. The wood is dark and heavy, there are pirate items for sale and ropes hang from the beams of the ceiling.

But on first glance, there just doesn't seem to be that much stuff!! That's just it mates, at 826 Valencia, you have to PLUNDER it!! Suddenly, you notice that the walls and even the floor are full of doors, cubby holes and trap doors....

Forget everything the wench ye called Mamma taught ye about not touchin'! This be a pirate store and ye' must hunt fer the treasures!! You have to search throuch and explore- You may end up with a beautiful nautical box... or a drawer full of eyeballs!

And watch out when ye head fer the ship's purser to pay fer yer plunder.... the register be booby trapped!

There is a large box hidden in the beams and filled with soft cotton mop heads! The kids frequently spring the booby trap on unsuspecting adults, and "mop" them!!

When in San Francisco, be sure to visit 826 Valencia and tell Yosh Han, the lady running it that I sent ye!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

• 2 months later...
And watch out when ye head fer the ship's purser to pay fer yer plunder.... the register be booby trapped!

There is a large box hidden in the beams and filled with soft cotton mop heads!  The kids frequently spring the booby trap on unsuspecting adults, and "mop" them!!

Experienced this for myself a little while back. Quite entertainin' *hee!*

An' if ye look through their website, ye can crawl back through the Store Log a bit to see mention of one "Commodore Penny Dreadful".

Guess who, mates?

ye don' think I be givin' me real name t' every Tom, Rick, an' Harry now, do ye?

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

• 4 weeks later...

I once considered shopping at Captain Rick's (horror of horrors!) before discovering 826 Valencia. That would have been a grave mistake. Captain Rick's firewood, for example, is like some kind of material that won't burn in a fire. The firewood from 826 Valencia, by contrast, actually burns. Don't even consider going to Captain Rick's; go directly to 826 Valencia. :ph34r:

(BTW--You should also be aware that Captain Rick's fish will not calm your soul!)

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

There is also a good nautical shop right on the waterfront, directly across from the Cannery in SF. I'll have to get the name next time I'm down that way. They have some wonderful scale models, compasses, tall ship art,

nautical bottle openers and key chains etc. Things in all price ranges. I've purchased a wonderful old-style compass, a scale model of the Adventure pirate ship, a tall ship calendar and a metal canon that I put on my

key ring. What kinda pirate wench would I be if I didn't have a cannon on me purse, eh?

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

826 Valencia. Don't let the simple name fool you, this store is 100% pirate!

Only like 6 months late but I almost did let the name fool me, ut then again I can be fooled rather easily or am a fool from time to time.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah some fine offerin's I must say. Unfortunatly, they be limited on what they do offer.

Me thinks I can do better at a Ren-fair ta buy what I be wantin'.

Also, I really hate havin' outfits like other people. I want ta be me own person with me own creations. Jest me sewin' side speakin' out, don't be takin' it personally.

RumbaRue

**The bigger me eyes, the greater me want** :ph34r: