Duckfoot Pistols

One sometimes sees duckfoot pistols (multibarrelled flintlocks) for sale; but I was wondering whether are documentable as having been used in the black powder era, or are they just a modern sales gimmick?

<_<

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Cap'n William,

They be th' genuine article....

I have a pic 'r two in the Gilkerson book; "Boarders Away II"

Ugly wee beastie....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Cap'n William,

They be a box lock style o' flintlock.... an' they all go off at once....!

I know of, but donna think I've pictures of two milti-barrel flinters tha' can be fired seperately... one, ye see in POTC, tis a side-by-side barrel affair, two pans, frizzens, dogs....

Then their be an over-under affair, where th' barrels can be turned, so the top barrel can be fired, not too sure how tha' all works.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

I have a wee bit of info on me own site about ducksfoot/volley pistols/multi-barreled monsters....

I read that more of the revolving multi-barreled pistols were made than those with fixed barrels, although they were more unreliable.(mostly for show, it seems)

As for the ducksfoot/volley type, I've seen pictures of authentic pistol and even rifle types of the era, and volley cannons, for more fun.

As for the firing mech's, most I've seen are single mech flintlocks. The one double mech, 2-barrel flintlock i saw was notorious for misfire.

There's a ton of variations on this multi-fire & multi-barrel mess. I'm no expert, but here's what I offer as a small primer.

Gun Info Look under Medium to Close-range Weapons

Do a Google search with the term "duckfoot pistol" or "duck's foot pistol" or even "volley gun" and find enough facts to choke on. B)

Captain Sage

Aye Ladd,

I dunna think yer gonna find a kit wi' flintlock, here's a description I found for 'em...

Percussion 3 barrel, single shot, "duckfoot" Guns of this type were originally made C1840-60, but never gained popularity because they were horribly inaccurate. Most of the originals were made in England. Also, flintlock pieces were made C1790-1840. All originals are rare and fakes being sold as originals are more common. Original specimens are very highly prized, being above $2000.

So... I think I have a pic in a book of th' boxlock styled one... I'll check when I get to th' book again....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

The duck's foot pistol was never really ment to be a precision shootin piece but more of a deck sweeper . And it was meant to be used at close quarters so aiming wasn't really all that important. A real nasty piece of work , that is if it fired. :ph34r:

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

Aye Ladd,

I found th' pic o' the boxlock style flintlock duck foot pistol.... Tis in Th' Borders Away Book II on page 252.... tis dated ca 1800 also tis a four barrel job... nasty piece o' work....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

I skimmed thru the GUN INFO site, Captain Sage; interesting, but I dispute some of the statements made there.

For one thing, muskets by definition did NOT have rifled barrels. A musket is a smoothbore, like a shotgun, but designed primaily to fire a single bullet or ball, rather than a charge of shot pellets.

Also, the myth that "boarding axes" were somehow flung into the ship's sides and used like handholds for a mountain climber is bunk! Would you trust your bodyweight to being supported by a hatchet flung into the hard wood of a ship's side?

Also, daggers being used as throwing weapons...why would anyone want to thrown a good bladed weapon at an opponent? I sure wouldn't, unless he already had at least that good of a cutting weapon, AND I had at least as good of a weapon in reserve. Otherwise, I could be arming my opponent and /or disarming myself.

Good point about powder horns being potential bombs against your body, though. I never thought of that!

Capt. William

:blink::huh::huh:

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Ahoy mates,

First of all, thank you alot for the constructive criticism. It helped me to know how to clarify some things on the page.

Secondly, my humblest apologies for the poor wording re: muskets, axes, and dirks. I am guilty of trying to say too much with too few words and making things confusing. My bad, to be sure.

Thirdly, come on Royaliste! Ain't we modern pirates all at least a wee bit full of tar? :ph34r:

In detail:

1) No, I didn't mean to say the 1700's-era musket was rifled, but I did write it that way. Oops. The mid 1800's development of the Enfield is however an early example of a RIFLED MUSKET. Check out just one example here.

2) The picture of a pirate mountain climber is the first one I got when I read this description in several more official-seeming places. Very funny to me! I did not intend to create that picture, but did anyhow. :) I did see a demonstration of this use in a movie where the guy with the axe lodged it just below the gunwale to steady himself while he was in a smaller boat preparing to heave up for a hanhold to go up and over. no, I don't remember the movie name and who cares.

3) I have to just stand by my assertions about the dirk because I meant the dirk and NOT the dagger you refer to. Throwing dirks having been around since forever in one form or another. Their advantage was not over some other sharpy as I think you heard but one of concealment and either a second (or last?) resort. And... no one said they had to be of the finest quality or finish. Maybe you have heard the saying that "a dull blade makes a worse (like how?) cut than a sharp one". It compares (to me anyway) of having a pocket pistol but never in substitution of a 'standard' pistol and cutlass. AND: if I carried one to use, I WOULD be confident enough in my ability and me blade to use it with good results at least most of the time.

Besides all that, none of us were there to see any of this. Very little is known with certainty about what we take for granted were the pirate practices and devices of war. They had very short and brutal lives and 'careers' for the most part, and left no wills or detailed diaries. There were and are no hard and fast rules in matters piratical, anyway me hearties. :huh: ... unless it be get more booty with less personal injury so ye' can enjoy it longer.

Again, thanks for the feedback. If'n ye' like, you can check out the edited page here:Weapons Info :huh:

Cheers :huh:

Captain Sage

The duck's foot pistol was never really ment to be a precision shootin piece but more of a deck sweeper . And it was meant to be used at close quarters so aiming wasn't really all that important. A real nasty piece of work , that is if it fired. B)

Aye Crow. That was the main drawback to the duck'sfoot. Would she fire, mis-fire or just blow up in yer face--which was more common. Even with with single barrel pistols, you had the difficulty of dealing with moisture getting to the powder, debris or the over-stress barrel blowing up.

At least ye could count on cutlass, boarding axe and belaying pin to not mis-fire!

The distinction between smoothbore musket and rifle is a relatively modern one. In the 19th century there was a period when "musket" meant a military weapon. It was a musket if it was adapted to mount a bayonet. I've seen Winchester lever-action muskets made for Russia, complete with bayonet (it was an unsuccessful experiment. The rifles were far too delicate to be used that way.) Well into the 20th century individual skill with a rifle was called marksmanship but mass deployment of rifle fire was still called "musketry." As with so many things, terminology was flexible in times of transition.

• 4 weeks later...

I use two of them on invasions. They are wonderful to have. I would like to find a couple flintlock duck feet instead. I ordered mine through Dixie gun works as kits. The bad thing about them is they do not lock on half cocked. A saftey issue to deal with. Also the hammer mechonism is not strong enough to set off the cap. I had to do a little customising. :D

I've also seen refernce to duckfoot pistols being issued to prison guards in the 1800's. Sort of a riot control piece.

I've seen a powder horn explode on someone's hip during a battle. Fortunately, he was wearing wool doublet and leather buffcoat, and the powder flask was of wood with a blow out panel. He got a bruise and his leather was pretty well scorched, but no other damage

Hawkyns

:D

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Talking about multiple firing weapons, there was a type of gun avaliable from the late 17th century onwards called a cascade gun. it was loaded with up to ten balls loaded with a chage of powder between them e.g. powder ball, powder ball, ect along the length of the barrel. each ball was drilled through the centre and filled with a slow burning fuse composition. the lock either flint or matchlock was positioned half way up the gun and would fire the charge behind the first ball, the flame from the first charge would start the fuse for the second, and so on.

This type of gun had several disadvantages, for one it took less time to load and fire ten balls from an ordinary musket than it took to load and fire ten balls in a cascade gun. Also if the balls were not all a tight fit the flame from the first charge would "leak" to the other charges and cause a breech explosion. however these guns were often used in the defence of fortifications, as several barrels could be laid side by sde on a gun carrage. Once fired they would continue to spit out musket balls for some time, unlike a cannon firing case shot which fired it's load all at once.

Cap'n Redbeard

P.U.B.C.A.T.

Piratical Union of Buccaneers Corsairs and Associated Trades

Detonated due to a couple of factors. Standing in ranks, firing a Swedish volley with matchlocks. There is generally a fair amount of sparks in the air, as well as the occasional loose piece of match. We figured he must have had a clog in the valve that held it open enough for a spark to enter. Combine the two, and..... boom. I've also seen bandoliers chain fire for the same reason. I love my matchlocks (got 2 of them), but never let it be said they are the safest weapon out there.

The superposed charge guns were a fairly popular experiment in the late 18th C. Even Nock made a couple. The weirdest one I've seen was a square barrel with nine barrels set into it. There was a series of channels between the barrels to guide the ignition charge from barrel to barrel in sequence. That one held 42 charges as I recall.

Knock was also the chap who came up with the 9 barrelled volley gun. Single charge in each barrel (.50 cal), all fired simultaneously with a single flintlock. Made for Marines in the fighting tops. In practice, the recoil was so great that it knocked them out of the tops and down to the deck. Some of you may have seen this particular weapon in the Sharp series about the Peninsular campaigns. It is the weapon that Sergeant Harper carries.

Hawkyns

:D

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg