What would a female pirate wear?

dasNdanger

okie-dokie!!! No fightin' in me thread!! :P

Well, I decided to go more feminine this time, mainly because Mr. Das was with me, and I didn't want him straying too far from his home port, ifyaknowwhatimean....

I wore a long skirt - black heavy cotton...it's kinda full even without stuff underneath - and I was too hot in the morning to layer. So, I wore that, and a 'peasant' blouse, no bodice and no cleavage...I prefer a little 'mystery'. :P And a sash and belt and sandals, carried a pistol, powder flask, small pouch with extra shot, pistol, knife, bosun's whistle, a string of real coins (foreign, but not old), skeleton keys (actually barrel and bit keys...mostly bit..but who's keeping track... :P ), coin pouch, old pewter mug, and ...LIPSTICK! ...so, basically I 86ed the authentic thing.

It makes sense that most tried to pass for men - heck - that's what I would have done in a male-dominated world. But it's also more practical - having hauled on a few lines meself - I know that less is more, and slops and a shirt are all ya need - no rings, no jewlery that can get caught in the lines (we had a crew mate nearly lose a finger a couple of years ago when a line separated then snapped closed on her finger - she swears that if she had been wearing a ring, her finger would have been ripped off. As it was, she lost a good hunk of it even without the ring). But I also like the idea that when they came ashore - some may have decided to dress a little more feminine...thus my decision to go 'girly'. However - I draw the line at a.. *gasp, choke, gasp*...bodice. If a woman was free enough to sail off with a band of brigands, she was liberated enough to burn her bloody bodice!!

I also suppose it may depend on whether their crew knew they were women. To dress and fight like men was one thing aboard ship or while sacking a port - but what about 'a night on the town', or while idle on land between raids? In the navy, women who were discovered living as men amongst the crew were quickly discharged from service. But I wonder just how accepted they were on a pirate ship full of men? Were some known to be women, while others passed as men...and what happened to them if they were discovered?? Sorry - I really haven't studied up on female pirates much, and only know a few stories about the more famous ones...

das

I don't think the costume nazis will lynch you for not being 100% period in your not particpants.  BYW cotton isn't really period. Linen & wool are.

Try not to label us. We are people too. :)

I'd suspect most of them, more often than not, tried passing as men.

Blackjohn

blackjohn

Please look to my original reply. As I stated in trail testimony Anne Bonney & Mary Read were reported to have worn men's clothing when in battle and women's clothing the rest of the time.

If you label yourself something that's your buisness not mine. I was not speaking of anyone in particular. I was merely staing that a faire patron did not have meet the same standard as a faire participant. Please don't get your nose out of joint over nothing. I certainly didn't mean it as an insult to you or anyone in particular.

If you or anyone else wants to know of instances of women in men's clothing the following books are helpful: Female Tars: Women Aboard Ship in the Age of Sail by Suzzanne Stark ; Women Sailors & Sailors Women: Untold Maritime Hisorty by David Cordingly & The Tradition of Female Transvesitism in Early Modern europe by Rudolf Dekker & Lotte van de Pol.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Please don't get your nose out of joint over nothing.  I certainly didn't mean it as an insult to you or anyone in particular. 

removes hat, bows low

My most humble apologies. Tis I who is in error.

Apology accepted glady sir! (curtsey, smile).

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy! B)

I fer one have been going to Ren fairs fer years and have hated wearin a tight bodice and uncomfertable dresses! Thats one reason I switched to Piracy. I kin dress likes a man if'n I wants to! Er that is wear pants and comfertable clothing!!! I hated not being able to wear anything comfertable.

At Renaissance fairs, yer restricted (if'n yer a woman) to wearin Bodices and dresses and skirts and bloomers and all sorts of layers of clothing that weighs ye down! I HATE that! especially at really Hot fairs. Also Piracy is way more fun!!! besides...

Restrictions and rules and fair nazies are for Ren Fairs...not Pirate fairs...or pirates- which I am at heart!!!

Deadly Drucilla

B)

Pause My Friend, As You Pass By. -As You Are, So Once Was I. -As I Am, So Shall You Be. -Prepare You Then, To Follow Me.

(written on a gravestone)

Well, bein' an old salt. and havin' no patience fer the the gentile arts, such as readin', I sort of faded before I got to the second page. Let me just say that the man's clothing is just fine ,and looks mighty stunning with a bosom as well. As far as the Elizabethan Lady, I'd a worn my outfit no matter what, although I'd look purty funny in 'em myself.They was jealous Darlin', you can lay to that. You sound particularly fetchin' in that finery, and if'n a man had had a choice, he'd encourage ya to wear yer duds. Sounds like some envious wimmin to me. BB

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Hmmm.... ahhh, the ever fun subject of attire.

Well... I'm an American Revolutionary War re-enactor. I have the Ladies attire as well as working on men's attire for my uniform as a dragoon of Lee's Legion & to double as a dragoon in Tarleton's British Legion.

Finding period correct items is truly a pain in the arse! Mostly for women to find some material decent & correct for the gowns. Men... I think is a tad bit easier.. though sometimes hotter if you wear a damned regimental.

But I do keep to as close to authentic as possible. It's a condition I guess being a rookie re-enactor, this being my 3rd year.

I wear the gowns, one made with a machine, one hand sewn even hand embroidered.

I've a hunting frock I bought from a sutler & making breeches, hand sewn.

Then my pirate outfit at current with the pantaloons, ruffled shirt, waistcoat, frock coat... all with 100% cotton & breathable.. :ph34r:

I've a few other pirate attire in mind, including the Calico Cat look from the card game Pirates of the Spanish Main & a Spanish Conquistador look.

Unnatural material tends to be hot compared to natural... plus, I have been told by many, natural is more flame resistant than unnatural.. :: Shrugs:: Bloody hell if I know.. I'm NOT going to test that though!

I'd say go with what is comfy. Aye... gents adore the petticoats... but the breeches/slops/trousers/pantaloons with a shirt - ruffled or not, any design - with a waistcoat of any sort, stockings or not.. shoes or boots.. etc... Depends on your climate I guess as well. :)

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!