What would a female pirate wear?

dasNdanger

Please forgive me for probably bringing up an ancient subject, but I've been absent for a while...raidin' other foru...erm...ports...and so I've missed quite a bit. But, having just been to the PA Ren Faire, and planning to go a couple more times this year, I got to wondering about what would be in a real female pirate's wardrobe.

I am not comfy in traditional 'pirate wench' attire, tho Mr. Das would certainly love me to dress that way. :) But in mid-August there is no way in hell that anyone is gonna squeeze me into a vice-like bodice. And the skirts (esp. with underslips and all) are just too hot for me. I know it's said that female pirates would dress like men...but was it to actually pass for a man, or simply because it was more practical and comfortable?

I have this naggin' li'l 'authentic' gene in me, and can't imagine a female pirate a-pillagin' and a-plunderin' or workin' a ship while all dressed up like a portside doxy! I love the 'wench' costumes, but they are just not for me. Yet I feel really out of place being one of the only ladies at the faire 'dressed down' with more masculine attire (think Mr. Gibbs from POTC...with a rack and no whiskers...kinda... :lol: ).

So, what would a female pirate really wear?? The purty girly stuff, or slops and a seaman's shirt? Or would she have both - the former for paying a visit to port, and the latter for sacking the port?

Jus' wonderin'....

das

Please forgive me for probably bringing up an ancient subject, but I've been absent for a while...raidin' other foru...erm...ports...and so I've missed quite a bit. But, having just been to the PA Ren Faire, and planning to go a couple more times this year, I got to wondering about what would be in a real female pirate's wardrobe.

I am not comfy in traditional 'pirate wench' attire, tho Mr. Das would certainly love me to dress that way. :) But in mid-August there is no way in hell that anyone is gonna squeeze me into a vice-like bodice. And the skirts (esp. with underslips and all) are just too hot for me. I know it's said that female pirates would dress like men...but was it to actually pass for a man, or simply because it was more practical and comfortable?

I have this naggin' li'l 'authentic' gene in me, and can't imagine a female pirate a-pillagin' and a-plunderin' or workin' a ship while all dressed up like a portside doxy! I love the 'wench' costumes, but they are just not for me. Yet I feel really out of place being one of the only ladies at the faire 'dressed down' with more masculine attire (think Mr. Gibbs from POTC...with a rack and no whiskers...kinda... :lol: ).

So, what would a female pirate really wear?? The purty girly stuff, or slops and a seaman's shirt? Or would she have both - the former for paying a visit to port, and the latter for sacking the port?

Jus' wonderin'....

das

According to trial testomony Anne Bonney & Mary Read wore men's clothing in battle and female clothing other times. So slops, shirt, headkershift, and vest of the period would be fine.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

According to trial testomony Anne Bonney & Mary Read wore men's clothing in battle and female clothing other times.

Ah, thank you kindly... (MUST get around to readin' that stack of pirate books I'm hoardin'... :lol: ...then I wouldn't have to ask such lame questions...)

So slops, shirt, headkershift,  and vest of the period would be fine.

'of the period'??? Erm...anyone gonna string me up for a cotton-poly blend... :P

:P

Well, that 'authentic' gene I have is nicely countered by the 'procrastination' gene and the 'You expect me to pay WHAT for that thing??!' gene - which means that I don't plan a costume until two days before an event and it's too late and I'm usually too cheap to buy the good stuff anyway... :P

das

Jeans aren't period... Oh you means genes! ;-) for the PA Ren Faire I guess whatever period during the Reniassance (we call it ealy modern here) the Faire is portraying. that could mean mid-15th c. to 1600. Sailor garb didn't change much right up to the 19th c. . As for fabric more cotton and less poly the better. Cooler that way. I don't think the costume nazis will lynch you for not being 100% period in your not particpants. BYW cotton isn't really period. Linen & wool are.

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I would think a nice linen pirate shirt and some slops with stockings and shoes would be nice! I never feel comfortable in pants so I know what you mean about not being comfy in skirts. Plus it seems that if you were going to be physically active those would be the most practical options. Can you see me climbing the rigging in my panniers, pockets and brocade????

:D

BYW cotton isn't really period. Linen & wool is.

Yeah, and so are 'pumpkin pants' :D , but ya won't catch me dead in a pair o' them!

I actually have a fantastic pair of 'piraty' linen pants and a great linen shirt - but I love 'em so much I don't want them to get ruined at the faire, so they be staying home! And yeah, folks are pretty easy on faire-goers - if I ever got into re-enacting or the SCA or anything, THEN I'd have to worry, but for now I don't fret too much over the smaller details. Besides, the way I figure it, as a pirate, all my period-'wrong' items ('minstrel' vest, 18th cent. flintlock pistol, 21st cent. sandals, etc...) can easily be explained away as, 'Oh, that...I stole it from the French...'

das

I would think a nice linen pirate shirt and some slops with stockings and shoes would be nice! ...Plus it seems that if you were going to be physically active those would be the most practical options. Can you see me climbing the rigging in my panniers, pockets and brocade????

No - I can't! I also can't see climbing the Killer Hill at the PA Ren Faire in shoes and stockings!! I was thinking of going that way...but opted for sandals (all leather). I figure my pirate came Bali or something...no, wait...erm...the label says 'China'....oh well, so...Hmmm....guess that means I should've paid closer attention to that Jackie Chan pirate movie on IFC last night... :D

das

I have a story about a costume event I went to. Early this month in England I went to what was advertised as a Georgian festival. 1794 was the year. I spent months on my outfits. I copied them directly from Heidleoffs fashion plates for that year. Everything, down to my underclothes, which of course no one could see, and all my jewelry was actually from that year or earlier give or take at most 5 years. So there I am sitting in my little yellow silk over robe (ala kate winslet's pink one in S&S) and my linen embroidered round gown watching the actors do their thing on the pantilles / boardwalk. One of the actors asks if he can have a word with me. We step away from the ladies I was sitting with and he informs me that I cannot wear my costumes when they are doing the festival. I was shocked. I went back to my hotel and changed and went to the tourist board and asked them why. They said because someone may mistake me for one of the actors etc. And that the actors had put so much time into their craft etc. I asked what would have happened if I had been a tourist who just happened to dress that way. (some of my 'modern' dresses are made with regency /georgian patterns) She said I would be asked to leave the area if the actors were there. I was so sad. I had spent so much time and money to get there, on my outfits and hotels etc. I ended up leaving the next day and going to London. A very sweet guy friend of mine dressed up in a gents outfit circ 1794, rented a horse and carriage and took me to see Wagners ring cycle at a lovely georgian manor called Kenwood house in Hampstead London the night after I got to London. The next day I went to Chiswick house in another one of my dresses and was welcomed with open arms by everyone in the place. So in the end I probably had a better time anyway. But I am still stumped as to the reasonings. Plus, if I do say so myself, my costumes were very very up to fashion for 1794 and theirs were about 3 years behind :D Ok end of complaint

Ack! I would have died! Of course - I would not have changed, either. :D Arrrr....

Your outfit sounds absolutely beautiful (perhaps you should be making the costumes for the Pride and Prejudice remake - I hear they are causing a stir...). It sounds as if you had a much better time in London...but still, what rudeness on their part! They should have been thrilled that they had a 'fan' in their midst!! And, like you suggest, how do they know you don't normally dress that way...??

My everyday dress isn't too far off from what I wear to the Ren Faire. :D Last year Jack Sparrow gave me a wicked cool idea of what to do with all my loose beads from broken jewelry and such, my fingers and wrists are gypsified...and I hate 'shorts', so I regularly wear capri-length pants...erm...TROUSERS...of varying bagginess, in the warmer weather. So I walk around looking like some kind of gypsy/pirate freak - and don't really give a happy rat's arse what people think. I only worry at the faires because I figure people are checking out the other costumes, and that makes me a little self-conscious.

What I would like to create is a tattered pirate look - dirty and torn up a bit...my problem is I can't bear to destroy perfectly good clothes!!! Gah...I'm an anal retentive pirate... :D

das

Hey girlfriend! So ye wants ta wear the pants in the family do ye?

Well I just made me some pants ta wear (black cotton twill) so I can be more comfortable. I'm gettin' tired o' wearin' tight bodices and skirts especially in the heat!

I have quite a few peasant tops that work quite nicely with a nifty sash.

Be creative, I know ye can do it! An' it never hurts ta entice the hubby with such creativity either. :D

Rumba Rue

**A lady takes off her diginity with her clothes** :D

Hey girlfriend! So ye wants ta wear the pants in the family do ye?

Hey, you saucy wench!!! Where ye be hidin'???? Of course me be wantin' to wear the pants, since I be gettin' into 'is all the time anyway!!

Well I just made me some pants ta wear (black cotton twill) so I can be more comfortable. I'm gettin' tired o' wearin' tight bodices and skirts especially in the heat!

I have quite a few peasant tops that work quite nicely with a nifty sash.

Be creative, I know ye can do it! An' it never hurts ta entice the hubby with such creativity either.  :D

I have a pair o' black capri-type pants just got at a shop, not really the right material, but they had laces down the leg - I just replaced the black laces with brown leather ones and blackened the shiny silver eyelets...they be kinda baggy, so they look fairly good from afar. My problem is that I have no peasant tops - I have avoid them because without a bodice I look like Fezzik from Princess Bride....

I do have one VERY old kinda peasanty top - it's slightly yellowed and the elastic is shot...I'm thinking I might be able to do something with that and the pants...or I may break down and just wear a blasted skirt so I don't look so butch... B)

On a lighter note - dear Mr. Das looks great in his outfit!! Why is it that the one who's not enthusiastic about the event looks the best????

B)

das

I don't think the costume nazis will lynch you for not being 100% period in your not particpants.  BYW cotton isn't really period. Linen & wool are.

Try not to label us. We are people too. :)

I'd suspect most of them, more often than not, tried passing as men.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Wow, Blackjohn guessed right. Yes, the women tried to pass as men. If you look at the original drawings (actually done in the 1720's and not the fantasy crud done since then by people who weren't there) you'll see Anne Bonney and Mary Read wearing common sailors fitouts, and armed with your regular weaponry. They're wearing the typical sailors jacket of that time, typical trousers of that time, and the typical hats, shirts, etc. Styles did change right in there quite drastically. But anyway, yes, they dressed in regular sailors clothing, and not the whore dresses you see some ladies wearing at pirate fests today.

Thanks, but it wasn't a guess.

Hmmm... What's that old adage? You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

My point being, I'm glad you are here, and interested in history of the period, but I don't know believe your methods are going to gain any converts.

Lets face it, there are some people who don't want to be educated. I'm cool with that. They can do their thing, I'll do mine. It doesn't make either group of us bad people.

On my group's pirate mail list we have these discussions now and again - authenticity, why we do this, etc. I've come to the conclusion that I am not doing what I do to educate the public. I'm doing it to educate me, and those seeking similar bits of knowledge.

So, stick around, lets talk history. But lets not call people names or play holier-than-thou, because when you get down to it, we are all just playing dress-up, right?

:)

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

BlackJohn for Senior Class President!!!!!

I have come to the same conclusion myself (with the help of the Brethren of course!)

I am still striving for as high a standard for myself but, will practice a live and let live policy. Of course I will lend a hand if asked.

The other thing I am realizing is that there is so much an Ego trip thing with being the most authentic (etc etc).

It is painfully obvious whose kits are realistic and whose are fantasy (even for the public). But if we are at a Festival Celebrating Pirates (which is a whacky thing to do anyway), who really gives a whoot.

Just spread out the honey and see how many flies we can catch!

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

and not the whore dresses you see some ladies wearing at pirate fests today.

Goodness Lad,

there are ladies present ! No need to shout or use such phrases as whore here, we all know the dresses you are speaking of and they are not all so bad. You have a right to your thoughts but please no need to name call clothing style or otherwise. :lol: