...Then what's the best pirate movie?

Mr_Scabbs

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw The Black Pirate last night and I must say it is an amazing bit of work. Half the stuff you see in the first POTC movie seems to have come straight out of that movie. The wonderful sword fights, knifing down the sails (repeatedly), swinging on the lines, cutting the rudder control ropes, the secret stash of gold, the powder trail, starting it with a flintlock, the monkey, and on and on and on. The Pyle connection is also definitely marked. The scene where Flynn is moping by the palm tree right after the title card "Marooned" couldn't be much more like Pyle's picture - that was actually when it struck me that he must be using Pyle as a reference. (Wrong though Howard was in some of his details...) That jumpsuit is just...odd. So are the dangley earrings he wears. Very strange.

It's interesting to compare the depiction of the pirates (most of them, anyhow) to how pirate villains have been shown in more recent films. There is little sense that these men are even remotely heroic or misunderstood. (Although the mob scenes of the pirates are strikingly like POTC's cavern scene.) Most people would be hard-pressed to identify with them or find hidden redeemable characteristics in them to make them subtly appealing like Barbossa or Davy Jones. You really believe all the pirate captain wants to do is rape the princess regardless of the cost to him or his crew (in gold, that is).

JosuaRed notes in another thread a scene where a prisoner swallows a ring to avoid it being captured. One of the pirates hands another a knife to cut the man open (shown off screen back in 1926) - he returns with the bloody knife and ring in hand. This seems like an amazingly violent concept for the period and certainly helps to cement the image of these pirates as a two-dimensional, bloodthirsty, greedy rabble.

Quite an interesting film. For those who don't like silent movies, this is probably one to make an exception for. It's fast-paced, interesting and easy to watch. And then there's Doug in that weird black jumper...

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Between William's comment and Walter Matthau as a Pirate? I HAVE to see this movie!..

Off to amazon...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

The best part of that movie for me was the costumes!

Er, yeah... may I suggest you get The Black Pirate instead? Or Captain Blood? (Or possibly Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd? :lol: )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I would have to say Pirates with Walter Matheau as well, I always plug that tape in when I want to do some costuming and want ideas. I love all the Erol Flynn movies plus the Black Swan...can you say Jamie Boy? mmmm I sure can...wink!

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

How come no one ever mentioned Dustin Hoffman? :P:rolleyes:

I had mentioned the other day that I thought the beach scene with Depp & Knightley in POTC I was a cinematic masterpiece. I strongly believe, that as good as the actors were, that scene was pure spontanaety and would be nearly impossible to recreate if you ever got the same actors together again. That secene as not so much the script...but how it ended up happening as it happened at that particular moment. That scene cannot be replicated. You know that old saying "things just happen" ...and I think that was one of those rare occasions when it did. it was all chemistry and serendipity at that particular moment. A rare moment recorded on film.

I don't even think POTC II or III came even close to capturing the essence of that scene, no matter how hard the cast & crew and Gore Verbinski tried. it was a one-time occurrence.

SHIP2-1.jpg

I have been looking for this dvd everywhere, for the longest time. Any one have an idea where to find it?

I found it on ebay a couple of years ago. It came out of Brazil, but is not a bootleg copy. Was dubbed in Portuguese, so you had to go to the menu in order to select the original english language. I am not sure if it was ever released on DVD in the U.S., but Brazil apparently uses the same DVD format.

>>>> Cascabel

"Yellowbeard" on DVD? I found a copy at WalMart for $5.50 so it's definitely out there. Amazon has it for $12.50. It's definitely worth it for either price!

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

I have been looking for this dvd everywhere, for the longest time. Any one have an idea where to find it?

You can get it used on Amazon or you might find it on eBay. Search for "Polanski Pirates." However, when buying a foreign DVD, be sure it is compatible for Region 1 or all regions or you won't be able to play it. Of course you can always find it for cheap on VHS...no region encoding there.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 year later...
***PS - For what I feel is the best depiction of the short, brutal tragedy that is the pirate's life, check out High Wind In Jamaica. As a movie, it's not so hot overall, and it's set a century & a half too late for what a true pirate picture should be, but it's surprisingly honest.

I just saw this and it was such a curious film that I wrote a review on Netflix which I thought I'd repost here.

If I had to explain this movie in a simple sentence (which is not easy - this is far from being a simple pirate movie), I'd say: This movie is about a young girl confronting death. Death of what is open to interpretation - physical death? Death of her youth and innocence?

Mortal death is a repeated theme from the start; although the more grisly details are downplayed. I suspect this is for rating reasons - pirates are often considered kid's movies after all. But this movie is in no way fodder for youth. Its underpinnings are darkly serious.

This brings us to the more esoteric death of playful youthfulness and innocence, which are under constant scrutiny. Still, you begin to sense as the movie progresses that it is holding back on some of the details that were portrayed in the book that would have made for a more satisfying story overall. (I have not read the book, but I suspect it would be interesting to compare it to the movie. I'd be curious to see what the author did with the older girl, if only from the POV from the young girl. There are broad hints, but nothing is explained definitively.) You can't help but wish they would have gone all out in one direction or the other: either make a Disney-esque pirate/kids outing or explore the darker themes fully.

The ending is enigmatic, but not satisfying. I would probably have given it another star (On NF, I have it 3 out of 5.) if they had paid off their explorations. But the movie is victim to the choice of the filmmakers not to fully play out the "death of innocence" theme, leaving us to wonder where the young girl was mentally after everything had happened. We're left with the vague impression that children are inherently mysterious and may be wiser than we think, possibly with cruel overtones.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Tyme fer me two shillings, altho I won't be sayin' much what hasn't been said already...

For me plunder, the best pirate movie ever is the 1991 Treasure Island, the one with Heston and Oliver Reed. Heston's entrance as John Silver was filled with quiet menace, shouting "This is a *dangerous* man", and Reed's version of Billy Bones was wonderful to watch.

I like PotC, and watch the trilogy whenever the mood takes me. For sheer piratittude, I favor the character of Barbossa over Sparrow, but thats just me.

Best pyrate movie *never* made? Has to be "Pyrates", the screen version of the book by George MacDonald Fraser. (Remember, I said *never* made)

Speaking of Fraser and movies, I have heard that Flashman will be made into a movie (or re-made, since there was a version with Malcolm McDowell back whenever), and I've heard they're tagging James Purefoy for the lead role.

Best pirate movie that isn't about pirates at all? The BBC version of Beggars Opera, with Roger Daltry as Captain Maceath. May not be about pirates, but when snagged, pirates and highwaymen would have both faced the same sort of people and circumstances. Great music in it, too.

Damn, thats sharp!

Just as an additional note, in *my* movie version of Fraser's "The Pyrates", Geoffrey Rush was memorable in the role of Col. Blood. Other cast members escape me mind at the moment...perhaps others here might have some ideas?

Tyme fer me two shillings, altho I won't be sayin' much what hasn't been said already...

For me plunder, the best pirate movie ever is the 1991 Treasure Island, the one with Heston and Oliver Reed. Heston's entrance as John Silver was filled with quiet menace, shouting "This is a *dangerous* man", and Reed's version of Billy Bones was wonderful to watch.

I like PotC, and watch the trilogy whenever the mood takes me. For sheer piratittude, I favor the character of Barbossa over Sparrow, but thats just me.

Best pyrate movie *never* made? Has to be "Pyrates", the screen version of the book by George MacDonald Fraser. (Remember, I said *never* made)

Speaking of Fraser and movies, I have heard that Flashman will be made into a movie (or re-made, since there was a version with Malcolm McDowell back whenever), and I've heard they're tagging James Purefoy for the lead role.

Best pirate movie that isn't about pirates at all? The BBC version of Beggars Opera, with Roger Daltry as Captain Maceath. May not be about pirates, but when snagged, pirates and highwaymen would have both faced the same sort of people and circumstances. Great music in it, too.

Damn, thats sharp!

Treasure Island, the 1990 version with Heston and Reed. Real ships, correct costuming, a good look at life 19 the 18th c. Reed has always been one of my favourite actors, his Athos in the 3 Musketeers movies was sheer magic. He played a pirate as it should be played. And I've coveted for years that little sailing dinghy that hem arrives in. Add to that soundtrack by the Chieftains and you've got one hell of a movie.

But nobody has mentioned Conquest with Jenna Jameson ;)

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I haven't done a tally, and this isn't a poll, but it seems the Heston version is in the running for first. We should get together a petition to have it released on Bluray and dvd.

I don't know if this is true or internet rumor, but I have read there was an extended edition that was aired in Australia. Anyone else heard that or able to verify it as true?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I haven't done a tally, and this isn't a poll, but it seems the Heston version is in the running for first. We should get together a petition to have it released on Bluray and dvd.

I don't know if this is true or internet rumor, but I have read there was an extended edition that was aired in Australia. Anyone else heard that or able to verify it as true?

I believe it was a theatrical release in some European country, probably in a longer version, because of not having the time constraints of the TV version, as I have seen theater posters of it for sale on ebay occasionally in foreign languages, but I don't recall which languages for certain. I also have a lobby card showing Billy Bones in a fight with another pirate on the beach in a scene that does not appear in the TV version. Foreign releases seem to be under the title "Devil's Treasure". Tantalizing stuff !!!

From what I have been able to find out, the movie is actually owned by Agamemnon Films, which is owned by the Heston family. It would be up to them to OK the release. I had a friend go by their offices once to query them, and the cute "20 something" receptionist was not able to be very helpful with information, never having even heard of the film.

>>>>> Cascabel