Tales of the Seven Seas

As we left off (over in the Tiburon Cafe)...an old mate of mine in the dance party/rave field of work...sent me a qoute for really nice, full color cards here's what he said in a recent email:

Ah, this place rocks. It's called PS Print and its in

Oakland. You do everything over their website and it's

really, really cheap. When it comes to flyers a 3"x4"

double sided full color at 5,000 copies comes out to

$128.00. You can only order in 5,000 amounts. But at

$128 thats not bad. Check out www.PSPrint.com

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Yep, I did mine through an internet joint for pretty cheap too

48 hour turn-around minus shipping

went with twice the size (to get twice as many) for almost twice the price

as far as printing them yourself, well I used to do that a bit

but they are not glossy and cost about 25 time more for decent paper and then they are only inkjet and when little sweaty hands hold them with sticky ice cream...

you get the picture

as far as how many you'd pass out? well I know not everyone would need as many as I do but on the 4th I passed out almost 2000 and I wasn't trying and couldn't during the parade

I was blown away but prepared :)

Aye, inkjet be not sweaty palm proof, 'tis true. And Internet joints certainly be easy and inexpensive. Have done demo CD's this way with good results as well. Although, I have passed out my business cards to some pretty sweaty sales types with no ill effects other than to me gag reflex, to be sure.

:unsure:

Alsoooo, How about featuring historical pirates rather than member images? The object would then be to find the pirate who be holdin' the Blackbeard card if'n that be the one ye be seekin.'

Iron Jack: Scourge 'o the Shores!

Some mornings, it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

'Tis True. Good points all.

Plus me own piratical ego (most piratical types have big 'uns, er, . . . egos that is :ph34r: , I'd be supposin,' or we wouldn't be pirates, eh?) would love 'avin me own card to throw out. Might be able to avoid some of the people just yellin' Arrrg and stuff and actually be called by name once in awhile. Kinda' like Captain Jack's bein' a very recognizable character, although not historical. Creates new characters for kids and folks to get into. :huh: Which be kinda' what we be doin' in the first place, eh?

Most kids (and us fortysomethin' folks) that are into pirates have seen all of the historical types, ad nauseam, by now, anyway. Don't know if they can be expanded upon much more at this point. Also, wouldn't want to be cuttin' in on Richard's turf either, since he be a damn talented cove in that area!

Wot sez ye, mates?

Some mornings, it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

Aye, our crewe is already a workin' hard at the cards. Used to do them in the olden days - but wanted to update the group now that the Pyrates of the Coast are many more. So look for them soon. Sir Nigel will be a doin' the illustrations of each of us...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

They sound like fun and very collectable. But I think people would have to be willing to fund their own cards as doing cards for every active member is a bit out of the budget.

Kinda wot Aye wuz tactfully hintin' at!!.......... :unsure: Many of RR members be not very active for a multitude 'o reasons, as with any organization.........

I think Quill be talkin' good sense thar. :) Not to be speakin' fer Redd or anything (but I sense that Redd be pretty graphically savvy, as I is as well), but I think between him 'n me, we could probably come up with some reasonable artwork for our own T.O.S.S. trading cards, even lay 'em out fer the various members if they be wishin' with photo 'n history (this be just a drop in).

After that, we give the member the PDF or whatever and it's up to either the individual pirate to get them printed or make a contribution and we'll get 'em printed for 'em.

And if'n we don't have a good photo: Next event, throw 'em up against a wall an snap 'em.

And, 'o course, one fer the dear 'ole Royaliste be a given as well. :ph34r:

Sound like a good idear?

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

I agree, Jack. I also agree with Quill this is all fine and dandy as an idea...but it also works better when people are not "put out" by the endeavor ($$-wise). I would never think to ask for T.O.S.S. as a whole to pay for it, that's not what I meant. I could see it as an "individuals" endeavor, though.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Aye, it sounds like fun and the kids would sure get a kick out of going to each pirate to collect a trading card... and the pirates could sign 'em! (at least them wot can right, eh?!!) The other thing we could do is to use it to direct them to the ship to get the Royaliste card and the captain's signature. Sounds like fun, especially at some of these big events.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Aye,

I think the size 'o Ace's card be a good one, but the back mebey should have a frame where bogus (sometimes!!) history could be dropped in. And mebey plunderin' stats or sumthin.'

Redd - Wot sez you that mebey between you an me we could cook up some artwork for this, . . . and be movin' forward from there. I have some pretty nice "scroll" frames already that I've used for the Buccaneers' Ball poster art, etc.

Quill - Got any T.O.S.S. artwork already existing?

I can't download much 'o anything today as SBC dsl server is down this AM and I'm currently usin' me 'ole dialup standby (read: as quick as molasses in Jan. :huh: )

Ace - Wot kind 'o resolution these internet guys usually lookin' fer? I'm usually at 300 dpi and half size for exhibit graphics and wotnot, but they be large signs.

B)

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

Never ye mind, Ace. Jest found the templates from your link.

Thankee! :huh:

Damnation sieze me soul! Prices are not too bad fer two sided full color!

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

• 2 weeks later...

Pyrate Trading Cards would be a cool idea.....

Now I could design and make my own cards in Photoshop.... as could everyone else... each card would be individual and unique... but would lack the "feeling" of a collectable "set" of cards......

But what if someone (Hi Red October) were to make a standard card "Blank".... (.jpg .tiff whatever... front and back) Then post it in the Pub.....

That way anyone with a graphics program could "fill in the blanks" and create thier Pyrate Trading Card and print or get them printed themselves....

I think it might be kinda fun to have Pyrate trading cards to hand out... and also trade with other pyrates (collect the whole set!)

Aye, an' then ye can give someone a card with the dreaded 'black spot'.

LOL! :(:(:(:(

Rumba Rue

**Wicked is as wicked does** :(

:) Funny ye should mention the 'spot', as 'ole Redd hisself delivered one to the Lady Washington last spring, just 'afore a sea battle! :(

....speakin' o which, gotta run, off to give S.F.'s new mayor a broadside, pyrate stlye! :(

As we left off (over in the Tiburon Cafe)...an old mate of mine in the dance party/rave field of work...sent me a qoute for really nice, full color cards here's what he said in a recent email:

Ah, this place rocks. It's called PS Print and its in

Oakland. You do everything over their website and it's

really, really cheap. When it comes to flyers a 3"x4"

double sided full color at 5,000 copies comes out to

$128.00. You can only order in 5,000 amounts. But at

$128 thats not bad.  Check out www.PSPrint.com

That is a good price Redd. I have been making my own business cards and Author Trading cards for a couple of years now. I use adobe photoshop and powerpoint for the text...then I copy and paste the card to make a powerpoint sheet. I print on glossy photo paper on a buble jet printer..hand cut them out, sign the backs and laminate them...lotts of work but they look great. If anyone would like a sample to look at email me a snail mail addy and I will send some to you.....I also make my book marks.....here are a few samples.

Joe@josephlosteen.com

cardblue.jpg

Business card

oldcitylg5.jpg

Trading card

ondeck.jpg

This one uses photoshop to place me on the deck of the Royalist. It is the same photo, Thanks to Captain Gary, used for the cove on the 2nd edition of Falcon's Revenge which comes out in September.

redbkmk.jpg

One of many book marks

KP

• 2 weeks later...
Aye, it sounds like fun and the kids would sure get a kick out of going to each pirate to collect a trading card... and the pirates could sign 'em! (at least them wot can right, eh?!!) The other thing we could do is to use it to direct them to the ship to get the Royaliste card and the captain's signature. Sounds like fun, especially at some of these big events.

I could bite mine. That'd be easy 'nough.

An' safer'n bleedin' or spillin' booze on'm. Better for the kids too :)

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

Sir Nigel has developed a great new card that we'll be offering to our fellow pirates as well. It features a period illustration of you as a pirate on the front (done by Sir Nigel hisself) with your name and position and a bio and particulars on the back side, much like a baseball trading card. The look is totally period and will be available in two forms - the other being a Wanted style with nefarious crimes listed on the front under the drawing, much like a Wanted poster. We will have a sample up on the site next week. For a single fee Nigel will do the illustration, prep the cards and get them printed in quantities, ready for delivery. Think of a Pirates in Paradise type event with a 100 pirates with their own cards featuring their illustrated mugs.

Each pirate can order their own... no need for crewe-wide action.

We originally considered photos but they didn't have cameras back then. The illustrations we've seen on the test runs are amazing....

More soon!

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com