To build a boat...

Probably Dacron. And a word on the cotton... it's liable to rot if you're storing it for long stretches.

Regarding the epoxy: we're taping the seams with 4" tape (had to get it from TAP plastics, a specialty plastic and fiberglass store). Then we're using either 50" or 60" cloth across the bottom (I don't remember which). That'll take care of below the waterline. Above the waterline will be a thin sheet of oak covering the plywood. This is for a couple of reasons. The first is to avoid the cost of extra 'glass. The second is for aesthetics; it'll look a lot better. We'll be coating it with varathane (clear coating) to make it waterproof for when the boat is heeling.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a name for her yet. Anyone got any thoughts?

One of my thoughts is "peridinos", Greek for "circling around", and also a euphemism for pirate, rogue, or corsair.

From Plato's Laws: "not to speak of the crimes of all sorts committed by the “Corsairs,” as they are called, who haunt the coasts of Italy, and the reprisals therefor."

(and for anyone interested... "hosa kaka sumbainei, kai eti ta tôn legomenôn peridinôn tôn peri tên Italian gignomenôn pantodapa klôpôn erga te kai pathêmata.")

I'm thinking about writing a paper on the role of pirates in classic literature.

Aye, that cannon site be a great one fer shore.

Thankee, DP!

Blimey, but that wee barky sounds to be shaping up nicely!

*also joins in conga line*

Iron Jack: Scourge 'o the Shores!

Some mornings, it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

Is it the "daYDREAM" yr looking at from duckworks mate?

Im in the midst of buildin "vestper" A Michalac

Capri....... We should commisserate.

In the mist of this, Duncan Is in the middle if a Juryrig canoe catamaran

oh, we be all at sea! :)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Alright all o' ye... pictures!

wheel.jpg

The wheel.

nowcurrent.jpg

The boat... as it stood about a half-hour ago.

middleglass.jpg

backglass.jpg

Detail of the seam glassing.

bottom.jpg

The bottom o' the boat. It's held on by steel wire at the moment, soon to be held on by fiberglass.

I've got more if ye want em. Email me or PM me, or just post.

Looks like she's almost ready to put to sea!

Time to have a hull flippin' party!

:lol:

Really, she is lookin' very nice! If'n I heard ya right, you said that you were gonna glass the hull to the waterline? Do you lay the glass directly over the ply? And does that work OK with wood movin' like wood and plastic movin' like plastic 'n all? Sorry 'bout all the questions, but never been involved in buildin' a boat meeself, if'n ye can tell. ;)

Just curious.

Where'd ya score the wheel fer $25? She be a nice one fer shor!

;)

Some mornings, it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

Thankee, DP. I see now. The wood is sort of an imbedded substrate, eh? (My experience is all from installing Avonite and Fountainhead countertops. Different sitch there since kitchens generally don't actually go in the water. Plus the materials be much thicker). Do ye have to seal the backside with anything special?

As concerns that hull-flippin' party: I know ye have a long way to go still, but you could still invite a few pirate buddies over, flip over the hull, have a few rounds, flip over the hull again, have a few more rounds, flip over the . . .

I'm sure ye get the idea. :lol:

Ahh. The beauty of small boats.

Any excuse to soak a gill or two!

;)

Anyhow, she be lookin' smart as paint lad!

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

DP...If'n ye plan on usin' an outboard on her, I met a fella last nite with three classic 'British Seagull' outboards, one the size for a lil one (2-3 hp)...really kewl, now he only has two, an' I have one!..If interested, he's gonna be gone for a week or two, but they'll go fast..........

Ahoy, Gary!

About them motors:

2 hp ye sez? I might actually be interested in one 'o them little motors meeself fer me little inflatable (then I wouldn't have to listen to R-H Jill yell at me fer rowing like a dang cracker all the time - Overhead fashion like Ned Beatty in Deliverance :ph34r: Really pisses 'er off fer some reason). I have plans to build a small transom and rudder post for 'er (me boat, that is, not R-H Jill) and she already has the grommets fer a motor.

So if'n he 'as a couple left, I might be pickin' one up too since the new ones are quite pricey. How much does 'e want fer 'em?

Thankee,

IJ

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

A decent Seagull be quite a collector's item, 'specially this side 'o the pond!..He's at 400 for the longshaft 4, and I think 275 for the 2.5.....they be incredible!..The one I've got is only runnin' on the choke today, figure the mainjet's plugged from sittin', they be really simple engines with ton's of history..........do a websearch under 'British Seagull'

a 2.5 hp Seagull...........

5A3ouuEOFke9XLcduRrTmT1M6aO4.jpg

Originally built for Brit Marines to 'throw away', they've survived to become quite legendary;, three days underwater, a 10 minute cleanout, and the tend to fire right up....1/10 mix ratio!!..small slide carb, no gaskets in it!!..leaks a little, by manufacture....no seals to go out in the tranny, just really thick oil.........a favorite small boat engine in the Carribean

"The best outboard motor FOR the world"

I luv it! :ph34r:

Leave it to them Brits!

That 275 sounds like it may just be the ticket fer me little inflatable. I don't think 2.5 horses be too much overkill fer me little boat either (Manuel recommends 2, so we not be too far off). I used to be a mechanic fer Jaguar, Rover, Triumph in a past life and still own me 1960 Bugeye that I assembled from two "bad ones" back in college, so I'm quite familiar with them whacky British machines! Probably be right at 'ome with it! Although there be NO excuse fer side-mounted, canister-type oil filters in me 'umble opinion.

:ph34r:

That price seems good too since most of the new small gas outboards 'n electrics I've looked at go fer quite a bit more.

Let me know when the bloke's back in town and I'll drop 'im a line.

Thankee,

IJ

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

Ahoy, Gary!

About them motors:

2 hp ye sez? I might actually be interested in one 'o them little motors meeself fer me little inflatable (then I wouldn't have to listen to R-H Jill yell at me fer rowing like a dang cracker all the time - Overhead fashion like Ned Beatty in Deliverance  :ph34r: Really pisses 'er off fer some reason). I have plans to build a small transom and rudder post for 'er (me boat, that is, not R-H Jill) and she already has the grommets fer a motor.

So if'n he 'as a couple left, I might be pickin' one up too since the new ones are quite pricey. How much does 'e want fer 'em?

Thankee,

IJ

It's not the manner of the rowing, it's that it is done when I am already rowing in a straight line and rowing with that third oar throws it off like you wouldn't believe. The single oar method is great for one person in a really small boat, moving along with a current - three oars in an inflatable when one person is already rowing is one oar too many. This is an on-going argument for us.

We've been looking at other types of boats, so someday maybe we'll get the proper type of boat for "cracker" style rowing. But one of those small outboards for our two-person boat would be way cool, to use the vernacular.

RHJMap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

update: we've decided to scuttle the motor idea and the wheel idea. The wheel is deep-sixed permanently, the motor for the rest of the season. The centerboard case is installed, and interior fiberglassing is nearly fully completed.

Also... today a friend invited me sailing on his 11' sailboat. So I went, and got the basics of small boat sailing, including about a half-hour of singlehanded time on a shallow, gusty slough with plenty of people watching and a concrete wall on the lee shore. Luckily, I didn't sink, flood or tip the boat, and everything went just fine. Pictures of the sailing and the construction are forthcoming.