Powder Horns

I've got four, but I use them almost all the time,

one is a buffalo horn that I've had since I was about 15.

One is a nice flat style priming horn and the other two are nice

examples of late golden age period horns, one of which is

a smaller day horn. A couple friends made all 4.

At some point I'd like to have one or two that have some

nice scrim work, more as collectible pieces than ones

that see "field" use.

Redhand

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you interested in creating your own horns for black powder or drinking vessles, I wanted to let you know that you can get blank horns from Tandy Leather. They are on line or you can order a catalog and order from it. Also, they have many stores all around. You may want to see if one is in your area. I do not know the prices of these blank horns, as it is not a big interest of mine to make one. but, I know that some of you had posted about where to get them, so I thought I would remind you. Happy Hunting........ The Capt.

:ph34r: For those that are interested, there is a great

article in one of the "Books of Buckskinning" number 2

I think, On scrimshawing horns, as well as constructing

powder horns. Tandy used to carry them, or you can order

them through Muzzleloader Magazine. They have lots

of good info in them.

Redhand

:ph34r:

Apparently, fifteen of my replies have been kicked off for some reason. Anyway, I had left a message regarding finding some blank powder horns and some finished out powder horns on ebay. Just search powder horn or powder flask.

:blink:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that info, Royaliste. I got my Dixie Gun Works catalog today.

Only trouble with TOTW is that their stuff is all parts, and I'm not sure how my mechanically-inept self would fare assembling same into a finished product, especially without a finished specimen to use as a guideline.

<_<

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

:ph34r: For those that are interested in learning scrimshaw, check out the book "How to scrimshaw and carve ivory" by Blackie Collins. It's a pretty good book to get you started, and usually about any place that sells books on muzzleloading supplies.

:ph34r: Also, another good place that I've found on the net to get a scrimshaw kit(I think it runs like 10-15 dollars) is Boone Trading Company. They sell everything you need to get started from every type of ivory from elephant, whale, mammoth, etc.(all legal) to pattern books for designs. They also even sell cow and buffalo horns, and already made pieces. I picked up the kit a year or so ago, and just now finally getting around to try it. Actually kind of fun and theraputic. Another good source for powder horns is a place I believe that is called Crazy Crow Trading Company. They sell ready made horns and a do-it-yerself kit , fairly reasonable prices. I can post the addresses if any one wants them, just don't have them with me today.

I'm just starting to learn scrimshaw and like I said, it' a lot of fun. :huh:

Capn William, for you and others that are interested,

The addresses for these merchants are:

Crazy Crow Trading Post

P.O. Box 847

Pottsboro, TX 75076-0847

www.crazycrow.com

$4.00 for the catalog

Boone Trading Company

www.boonetrading.com

Another good website that sells beginner kits is:

Scrimshaw.com (Don't know about the kits, bought mine through Boone)

Also a good magazine that has a lot of articles on muzzleloaders(even match and wheellocks) accoutraments, and other old time articles is Backwoodsman Magazine. This is what got me interested in scrimshaw and powderhorns(just right now, I'm gainfully unemployed and have'nt had the funds to really get started.)

One recommendation, get what they call a pin vise for a handle. You can use anything from sailors needles to x-acto blades.(its essentially a normal hobby knife handle).

Hope this helps, mateys. B)B)B)

Wolf, I'm going to pay me bills later this afternoon, and I will send fer Crazy Crow's catalog when I do.

I will also check out Backwoodsman Magazine.

Thank ye fer the cites and the recommendations!

Capt. William

:blink:

Not a problem, Capn William.

Unfortunately, unlike Capt. Luigi, scrimshaw is not a big deal here in the state of IL, so all my info I've got is from the Blackie Collins(yes the custom knife maker), The Boone Trading Company kit, and the Net(I've got 2-3 3-ring binders of info, and I still keep running across information by surfing the net. Here's some other stuff I've used to get me started.

On making powder horns, Get the book "Making Powder Horns, Book II by Robert D. Byerly", availible for about $10.95 from Dixie Gunworks, Crazy Crow, about anyplace that sells muzzleloading and buckskinnning supplies. It covers everything from horn prep, plugs, how to make the flat(priming) horns, and it actually can be done with simple hand tools(about the only thing is an electric drill). (Real nice when you have a brother into frontstuffers, and he leaves the catalogs lying around).

Another good article I just found is on a knifemaking site-www.blades.web.za/embellishments_scrimshaw.htm- ..It is actually almost a 20 page prymer on scrimshaw, and covers all the tools, techniques and such(even covers the newer multi color and reverse-scrimshaw on darker material-techniques). Also the article from Backwoodsman is in the May/June 2001 issue called the art of scrimshaw by Tom Rogers and it deals exclusively with powder horns, and is what got me started(its should be availible in reprints, if not I could probably snail mail you a copy). Hope this helps.

One little Thank you I want to give to the others on this list. I kind of lost interest in scrimshaw for a while, but you guys have got my interest started again. Thanks again and I hope me ramblins help. :lol::lol::lol:

Ahoy..

I am looking for a coupla things, and this seems to be the place to ask, soooo.....here goes.

i'm going to make a coupla shot bags and am looking for the best prices on the following:

spouts - brass, wood, bone, etc

Also gonna try my hand at makin a powder horn, anyone out there got any do's/dont's (not gonna scrimshaw it, prolly gonna use a wood burner/dremel...i have done this method for my viking drinking horns and it works awesome)

also looking for antlers...whole or parts to make measurer's, spouts, and buttons from if anyone knows a good place

think that's it for now...

Artemis Pepper

Purveyor of fyne plundar since 1605!

Artemis Pepper,

One of the best places that I've found is Crazy Crow, they sell powder horn kits for about $14-15 dollars(the address is in one of my postings above). They and Dixie Gun works sell the spouts(usually the brass spouts). For other materials for a horn or the antler tips, you can try Boone Trading company, Crazy Crow and Dixie Gun works, they sell about all the material for the main body of the horn and to make other accesssories. Also the book I mentioned, Making Powder Horns, has about anything you want to know about making horns, or you can also try Backwoodsman magazine, they've run alot of articles on making powder horns, and I think there's been some articles on shotbags too.(Backwoodsman sells their Best of Backwoodsman series, there might be some articles in there). You can also try the a series of books, I think called the Book of Buckskinning series 1-8 and about any book on Mountain man crafts(a powder horn is usually one of the first rights of passage in buckskinning), availible from about any muzzleloading shop. Hope this helps ya. Any other questions you might have, just ask, I've got a brother thats real big into buckskinning and muzzleloading and would probably be able to help. :ph34r::(:(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------wolf2hawks-if the wolf don't get ye, the two hawks will.

Aye mates, been away for awhile: had an ordination in the family, followed by a week-long parley the Imperial Navy sent me to, to learn how to settle disputes peacefully (hell of a thing, says I: a 32 pounder at the waterline or a good charge o' grapeshot does the trick fer me!)

While on the "airship", I passed me time readin' the catalog Crazy Crow sent me. Lots of good books on horns, scrimshaw, etc. , polished horns and powder horn kits and finished horns.

When I sit down to pay me bills later today, I'm going to send Crazy Crow an order.

Capt. William

:)

drilled out and fitted the spout piece today. found a deal on 'weathered' horns, and actually there's really nuttin wrong wit em, cept a few scratches. i cut the tip off the brown one, drilled er out, and fitted her to the black (bigger) horn as the spout piece. next part is to cut of the large end to make a smooth/semi-round end to fit the wooden plug too.

I'll keep ya posted on the progress, and when it's finished, i'll post a pic fer all to see me first horn.

Artemis

Purveyor of fyne plundar since 1605!