Powder Horns

Artemis, are those "weathered" horns ye speak of suitable fer decorating (scrimshaw-like), would ye say? If so, I'd be interested in yer source.

And congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! I married a fine lass a couple years back - first time in me life, at age 49 - and she's the best acquisition I ever acquired, to be sure!

I drink to ye and the pretty lass! :(

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

No, But I'm looking for a couple for my outfits. :(

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

I know of a place in Mystic CT that sells scrimshaw beginner kits as well as carving supplies. I'll look it up and post 8/29. :(

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

capnwilliam-

nay, the horns are not scrimshaw quality. they are mostly black/brown, and have many scratches on them. they are perfect for making antiqued looking horns and the like.

Artemis Pepper

Take a closer look at the horns, me lad...

Raw horns usually look pretty rough. The animal they came from was non to careful about keeping them smooth and polished. Natural cow horn usually has layers of different shades, which become apparent upon sanding or scraping them down. You could wind up with a lot of suitable light colored area to work with for scrimshaw.

I especially like the light brown or tan colors, as these make real nice ones to carefully thin down until they are slightly translucent and you can hold them up to the light and see the quantity of powder inside. This was a fairly common practice during the period, and if done carefully, does not weaken the horn too much. I have one I made like that quite a few years ago, and I also did some highly detailed scrimshaw work on it that shows up beautifully when held to the light.

You could also make a nice flattened horn, if that suits your fancy, and have a wider surface to scrimshaw. Horn drinking cups can also be made from some of the larger horns. (I'm not talking about those huge "Viking" looking things), but ordinary flat bottomed cups that can sit on the table. These also look nice with scrimshaw work.

Horn was a commonly available material during earlier times, and used for all sorts of items. Most of which were not "horn shaped" small boxes, like an antique snuff box that I have, powder measures, spoons, hair combs, handles, jewelry, etc. All of which lend themselves to decoration by carving or scrimshaw.

Have fun with what horns you have. I'm sure you will make someting useful !!!!

BE AWARE THAT MOTH LARVAE WILL EAT HORN. ALWAYS KEEP A THE PLUG IN YOUR POWDER HORN, AND STORE UNUSED HORNS IN PLASTIC BAGS. PREFERREABLY WITH MOTH BALLS. Moths seem not to bother horns unless they can get inside, so the plug prevents this

>>>>>> Cascabel

Good ideas there, Cascabel.

Artemis, it sounds as though you might have found a good horn source.

I'm sure that I'll ruin a good many before I ever turn out somethin' decent, so am interested in any CHEAP horn source you may have! :ph34r:

What was that address?

Does anyone else have a good, cheap source for horns? :ph34r:

Capt. William

• 3 weeks later...

My powder horn kit, and a bee-you-tea-full white scrimshaw horn, arrived from Crazy Crow on Monday! When I get some free time (hah!) I'll start lookin' it over; one day, I'l have time to actually start working on it!

:ph34r:

Capt. William

• 3 years later...

Looking for double guns for another post I found this. Then this old thread on horns, so I'll post this here rather than Twill, as it is not period, just cool.

skull1.jpg

skull2.jpg

A VERY NICELY CARVED "PIRATE" POWDER HORN w/ TURNED WOODEN BASE, ca. 1900s: The cow horn body with smooth, light-brown surfaces and an artificially aged patina. Finely carved horn body with a relief-carved Skull within a braided oval medallion: surmounted by a finely carved drapery border and a "1762" date. The spout with an acanthus leaf carved collar and a turned rounded mouth. Hardwood base-plug with a knob-type finial and a floral-carved end. The base with smooth surfaces and some light wear. In overall very fine condition: the horn with some light wear and a minor age-crack. Complete with its brass rings and suspension chain/cord: turned horn stopper, with its leather suspension-cord. A very nicely carved 20th century Powder Horn made by a skilled craftsman, ca. 1900-1950s. Overall length, 13".

Ambrose Antiques, $850.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...