Flintlock rifles, muskets, and pistols

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talesofthesevenseas....... Thats the holster. The one I got is made of very good leather and the stitching is superb. It will work to hold your gun, like I said; just with some guns, its a bit difficult getting them seated or drawing them . It is a good holster though. Have fun.... The Capt.

*chanting new mantra*

First the powder, then the ball.... First the powder, then the ball....

Capt. Flint,

Thanks for the confirmation on the holster. Gotta dye it black to adapt to my look, but other than that, I think it will do nicely.

Royaliste,

I am SO looking forward to sailing this weekend!!! It will be a much needed day of terrorizing the bay!!!!! Fair weather... good company... a crew full o' handsome lads, what more can a wench ask for eh?

(Lord.. THAT was a loaded question!!!)

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Ahoy Mateys!!! :huh:

I gots a question about flintlocks. I be wonderin' where I can get me at least a couple fer real cheep. They don't have'ta be functioning...jist perdy! But I be NOT looking fer anythin' plastic...such as toys and the like!

:huh::P:P:huh:

Fair winds,

DEADLY DRUCILLA

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Pause My Friend, As You Pass By. -As You Are, So Once Was I. -As I Am, So Shall You Be. -Prepare You Then, To Follow Me.

(written on a gravestone)

Before our recent "graduation" to blackpowder flintlocks, we used lots of very nice reproduction flintlocks/ Some are very real looking. I keep them still, for our loaner gear. Most came from Ebay. Just run a search on flintlock and you'll have tons to choose from. My favorite is the triple barrel Lorezoni you see in the photo below. I did NOT like either of the other ivory handled repros I bought, either the double or single barrel models. Both looked very cheesy, but the triple is a very good-looking reproduction.

triplebarrel.jpg

Ahoy Mateys! B)

That sure is purdy! And as always, I apriciate any info ye be havin' fer me! Thanx!

Fair Winds,

DEADLY DRUCILLA

B)B)B)B)B)B)

Pause My Friend, As You Pass By. -As You Are, So Once Was I. -As I Am, So Shall You Be. -Prepare You Then, To Follow Me.

(written on a gravestone)

Question... I went to buy a brush for cleaning my Queen Anne and they were out of the .50 caliber size. So the sales guy gave me a jag attachment to use with a rod and pads for cleaning the barrel.

I don't get it... there is nothing to keep the pad on the jag when you withdraw the rod- no spike, nothing screws off and the jag fits so tightly, that when the pad is over it, it doesn't fit in the barrel. Hmmmm... I'm glad it was only a $2.50 item. Can someone clue me in if I am doing something blonde? I see no means of attaching a pad to it.

Additionally, I just purchased two leather holsters from Dixie Gunworks. Thanks for the reference! I'll let you guys know what I think when they arrive and how they look with a coat of dark black polish! :huh:

If the jag is TRULY the correct size, the cleaning patch will wrap itself around it as it is pushed into the bore, and upon pulling it back out, the patch will sort of "wrinkle" slightly, and the wrinkles will catch in the grooves of the jag. If it is the right size, a jag is a most excellent way to clean. If it is too large, it will get stuck in the bore, and if too small, the patch will come off.

It sounds as if the jag you have may be too large, but not being able to examine what you have, it is hard to pass judgement. The jag with cleaning patch should EASILY be able to fit in the bore with only slight resistance. Using a jag will pull LOTS of crud out of the barrel with every stroke, because as it wrinkles into the grooves, it also is pressed against the inside of the barrel. The only thing you need to be wary of is that it can also push crud down into the barrel on the down stroke, so always look down the barrel to inspect the face of the breech when finished.

>>>>> Cascabel

I think you're right Casabel, I also had a talk with The Royaliste about this this weekend and I think my jag is too big, despite what the packaging says!! Saber (my hubby) got a nice, easy to use cleaning device that so far I like better than the jag. It is a loop that the cleaning patch goes through. Although I can see how the jag would clean more thoroughly once you get the hang of doing it with the continual twisting in the right direction. So I'll have to experiment with a few attachments.

Aye, and don't ferget to THOROUGHLY clean the face of the breech. The Queen Anne pistols are especially prone to getting the touch hole clogged from the inside from crud being packed up around the breech face. Always run a touch hole pick all the way through the hole until it touches the inside of the barrel on the far side after cleaning, and before firing for the first time when it's next put in use. They also tend to get the touch hole clogged during very heavy use, depending on humidity conditions.

ALWAYS keep a touch hole pick handy, and be certain it is of a size that will fit all the way through the hole. If the priming goes off, and the weapon does not fire, and you are certain you did not forget your main charge, then the FIRST thing you need to do is see that your touch hole is clear. (I have seen them clog so badly that it can be a struggle to get the pick through the hole). Once you are certain the hole is clear, re- prime and it should fire.

>>>>> Cascabel

Thanks Casabel, I'll do that! So far the Queen Anne has been firing nicely.

I had a few misfires when one of the two flints I got with it was too long for it, but I put in the other flint which was slightly shorter and it has functioned very well so far. I've been borrowing Royaliste's touch-hole pick, but I'll get one of my own. I was wondering if after using a pick during cleaining, if a small pipe cleaner might be an additional way to keep the touch hole clear? (not sure if they come that small)

It was my husband's Harper's Ferry that had trouble with clogging up... in cleaning it he used far too much fluid and the touch hole was packed with wet sludge. As you said, the pick cleared it along, with some helpful advice from Royaliste to go easy on the cleaning fluid next time and also a couple of times of firing it with just the pan primed and no charge inside to dry it out through the touch hole.

We're learnin' slowly but surely. My husband has extensive experience with modern guns, but this is his first time with either black powder or flintlocks of any type, so it's a whole different ball game.

Back to ye, Claire.....

I don't care much for pipe cleaners in touch holes. For one thing, they are not stiff enough to clear a badly plugged one, and also the small wire they are made from can break off in the hole if it gets hung up and you pull too hard. Then you have a REAL problem.

At some point when time permits, I will be writing an in depth article for NQG on flintlocks which will include detailed cleaning instuctions along with info on how to make them work reliably, plus lots of other useful info.

>>>>> Cascabel

Where do all ye blackpowder shooters findplaces to shoot 'em? :blink:

Capt. William

I have membership in a rifle range about ten minutes from home, or I have several places available where I can just go out in the woods and blast away to me heart's content.

Once in a while, I'll just touch one off from me back deck. My neighbors are used to my occasional "test firings"

>>>>>> Cascabel

Just aquired the .50 cal traditions trapper model today (flintlock)

was a total steal!, didn't have flints or a flask in the box though, even

though it was evident they were there at one time. she's never been

fired! i will have to remedy that this weekend, soon as i get me some 5/8" flints, and a bit o 3f/4f!!

anyone ever shoot this model? if so, do ye have any do's/don't fer it?

would appreciate it greately!

Artemis Pepper

Purveyor of fyne plundar since 1605!

Replying to Captain William..

I'm new to blackpowder, so I am only doing it with experienced supervision, so at the moment, I'm firing when aboard the Royaliste. But we have a range near work that Saber and I have been discussing going to- it would be fun to try the flintlocks with a projectile to find out how bad a shot I really am!

We live in a rural mountain area outside of city limits in unincorporated county. We checked with the local police and we are allowed to fire them where we live. Sooner or later we'll do that and introduce our neighbors to the sweet song o' piracy! :lol:

:huh: KA-BOOM!!!

Aye, Seven Seas, living in a rural area can have its' advantages, fer sure!

Me, I'm a life long city boy, but my mother grew up on a farm, where my brother still lives, and I really envy anyone who is able to shoot a rifle from their front porch, as he can!

I don't know of any place (shooting range) around here (New Orleans) that allows BP shooting, but I'll look around; not that I have any such piece to shoot: not yet, anyway! :(

Glad you're happy with your flintlock holsters, and that all of yer "stuff" isn't covered up! :(

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"