• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:huh: Aye!

I've got several, including a 2nd model british musket

(a brown bess to ye lubbers) in 72 calibre, I also have a

"Wilson" style chief's grade fowler in 62 calibre made by

Caywood. and a 62 cal pistol with a serpent plate and

a northstar lock. I shoot them all, including using shot.

I usually reserve roundball exclusively for the pistol

however. My son also has a 50 calibre "Early Reading"

rifle that was used in he colonial period from the early

1760's to the mid 19th century. All are fine firelocks.

I'm also interested in obtaining a rifle for myself

and a long land pattern musket one of these days,

as well as few more pistols....it never ends-LOL!!

Redhand

:lol:

I am in the process of building a wheel lock pistol right now,in collaboration with my father who was a machinist.I started with an old octagon barrel and we are making all the rest.wheel locks are tricky little buggers,but when I first saw one I thought it was so beautiful that I had to have one.it will be a small caliber=25/20.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Redhand, ye sound well-armed for the next 18th century war! :huh:

Capt. Weaver, that sounds as though it will be a beautiful weapon! A pocket piece, will it be? Sounds as though you will be firing No. 4 buckshot from it, maybe? :lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Capn William,

yes it will be a smaller pistol

you would probably know more about what it will be firing than I do.I have mostly fired cannons.this is my first non cannon project and I havn't got that far in the process yet.I figured I would build it first and worry about the firing later with someone who has more experience in it.

we are following the instructions on making it from an incredible book made in the early 1800s-the book has all sorts of strange and exotic things to make and build,mostly dealing with various things of a chemical/explosive nature like;fireworks,blue cyanide ink poison to paint on varmint spike traps,black powder,thermite,electrolysis for removing salt water concretions from metal and even a volcano model that they recomend you stand 100 feet upwind of and not fire off near livestock because the fumes can be fatal if inhaled.it is a truly fascinating book that we periodically get out of the safe deposit and photocopy pages out of.

:huh:

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Arr Capt Weaver, I've got a strong interest in wheellock weapons myself. I've only done a basic search on the internet for them and like kits, haven't had much luck finding more than a couple sources though.

There be a program or two on the History Channel about early firearms, but they always seem to gloss over the wheellock, going straight from hand held cannons to the flintlock.

Would mind taking some "in process" pictures of your wheellock construction and sharing them with the board, or at least me if no one else is interested?

And wow, that book sounds amazing! Any chance you can tell us what the title is? I would love to see copies of the diagrams?

Stynky Tudor.. i saw several shows about firearms on the history channel; you must have just tuned in at the wrong time. I watched them cover the wheel lock in some detail. Also, to add my own points of interest... I have a 45 caliber flintlock that I built from a kit bought from deer creek industries. It is a fine gun and shoots well. I am hopeing that I can save enough money one day to buy the brown bess kit. The Capt

Arr Capt. Flint, thanks fer letting me know about that there wheellock program on the History Channel, I must have just missed it.

Do you have any pictures of said flintlock? Do you have a web link fer Deer Creek Industries?

hey Stynky,

I'm not sure of the complete name of the book,as it is in the safe deposit box-but the main large words on the cover are,"boy chemist".

unfortunately my scanner is broke so I can't scan any of the diagrams-but I would be happy to send pictures of the work in progress.

:)

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Ahoy to ye, Shipmates...

I have been involved with the use, care, building, and repair of flintlock weapons for over 30 years. In my pirate world I use a blunderbuss and several different flintlock pistols. All are live weapons and EXTREMELY reliable. (I don't own any non-functional "replicas") Unfortunately, there are not a whole lot of choices out there as far as flintlock weapons go that are of our "Golden Age of Piracy" period and also of good enough quality to be highly reliable without considerable tinkering. Most of what is available is of the very late flintlock era, which is unfortunate because the earlier period guns tend to be much more graceful in appearance. Some of my pieces are custom built by me and fairly pricey. Pictures of some of my pieces have been posted in the 'Photo Album' area titled "Cascabel's Toybox"

.........Cascabel

Capt William & All-

I'm familiar with Track of the Wolf , they a re a

supplier of quality muzzle loading parts as well as

carrying a good selection of custom & semi custom firelocks.

I haven't bought anything from them, but I recognize

many of the gun makers names. I myself would love to have

a blunderbuss or carrige gun at some point, I love getting out

and live firing my weapons as much as possible. I also enjoy

the older styled weapons, I wish that somebody would make

some that were a little more reasonably priced for the mass market.

Custom guns are a different story, sorta like buying a piece

of artwork! How many of you guys get out and live fire your firelocks

besides Cascabel & myself?

Redhand

:P

Stynky tudor.. Deer Creek products has no web site. Thier number for a catalog or order is.. 765-525-6181.. thier address is

p.o. box 246

Waldron, Indiana 46182...... As far as photos go, I have photos of the gun,, baldric and other things that people have asked for, but, I have no idea how how to send them. Some people have tried to help, but I need better instructions on what to do. Soon as I figure it out, I will gladly send them. I haven't even figure out how to send a photo for my avatar image. The Capt.

Aye Cascabel, your toy box be full of fine arms and weaponry, really gorgeous pieces too.

You mentioned that some of them be custom built by yourself. Is this something that you do for hire or just as an enthusiast?

Ahoy Capt.Flint, thank you for the Deer Creek information, I’ll be giving them a call shortly.

As for your images, if they already be in a digital format, I’m not sure how to help you remotely. I know that I had some trouble uploading my avatar and photo album images, it be likely that my computer and router firewalls got in the way. Since I have access to an outside web server, I just uploaded my images there a typed in a URL web link, that seems to have done the trick.

If your images not already be in a digital format, if you like you can send them to me parcel post, I’ve got a working scanner ‘ear and enough web space to host the images until you get things figured out.

• 2 weeks later...

Cascabel, I think this be as good a time as any to do a bit of self-promot’n of yer wares. Though it likely to be out of me own price range, I'm sure that there be more than a few us ‘ere interested in prices for your efforts.

Ahoy Stynky, Cascabel here.

As to prices, for the pieces I build, they are in the $2000 range. Top quality parts are pricey, and so is my time. If I build a piece for someone, I require 50% up front, and the rest upon delivery. I know it's a bit steep, but I'm not in the gunmaking business, so I have to make it worth my while to set other things aside to build for someone. The advantages are that you have something authentic that can't be had from the local sporting goods store and is EXTREMELY reliable. I also do gunsmithing on flintlocks as needed. However, I am constantly asked to make a cheap piece functional, and usually scare people away when I tell them what is involved. ALMOST any gun can be made to work well, but it is a judgement call as to whether the amount of labor is worth it. I have done it quite a bit for folks that just had to have a paticular piece in working condition, most notably the cheap "TOWER" pistols from the 60's and 70's. These vary in quality from just about O.K., to absolute junk, depending of what factory they came from. Externally, they all look pretty much alike and ALL have bad geometry and unbalanced springs. They can also benefit greatly from a bit of re-styling. I have one myself that you have to look at twice to realize what it is.

Ahoy there!

Cascabel, thanks for the wedding advice. Julie's emails were super nice. I can't wait until December!

Anyway, I just wanted to leave a post about some non-firing weapons. I found a very realistic looking blunderbuss on ebay. It went for $8, and since I don't intend to fire a weapon at the PIP festival, I thought it would be great. It'll be easier to get on an airplane with a fake gun, too.

Oh, and my dad's a do-it-yourselfer, too, so I'll try to get some pics of his handmade guns and put them here soon.

:huh:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

"Anyway, I just wanted to leave a post about some non-firing weapons. I found a very realistic looking blunderbuss on ebay. It went for $8, and since I don't intend to fire a weapon at the PIP festival, I thought it would be great. It'll be easier to get on an airplane with a fake gun, too."

Keep in mind when dealing with airline counter personel, you are generally talking to people that know absolutely NOTHING about firearms, and to them, if it "looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc.", then you may expect to have problems. They will treat it as if it was real, so be prepared. They require ALL guns to be tagged and in a lockable case. There is a bit of variation from one airline to another on how they interpret the rules, so call first. I work for one of the major airlines, so I am somewhat familiar with the way things are done....

>>>>Cascabel

Ahoy Cascabel-

Ever put together a long land pattern British Musket?

I've been looking at getting one of those for a while,

but was also looking at early Pennsylvania or

Virginia rifles. Your prices sound fair for the amount of

work that goes into one. Do you usually do custom work

or work from kits?

Cheers!

Redhand

:ph34r: