Help name me Long Boat

Bully MacGraw

I do not have me own tall ship BUT I have the finest long boat on San Francisco Bay. She is 22 ' (+-) I can rig her as a ketch or a schooner with lug sails. She has ten rowing stations BUT it would be too crowed so we have found out that six oarsman work best. A swivell gun is next.

She is freshly oiled/tarred and I am painting her oars.

Now me jolly boys, She needs a name. I want something Irish or Scot.

Any ideas?

Bully MacGraw

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

since i have no life i took the liberty of jotting down a few ideas, i got them off of an irish slang website http://www.at.artslink.co.za/~gerry/irisha_m.htm they had some cute ones, but i'm not sure what kind of name you are going for....my favorite for a ship/boat name (if i was a guy) would be "thruppenny bits"...lol...i'll let you figure you the irish rhyming slang on your own...

Full shilling - mentally competent

Twistin' hay - means you're starting trouble, usually in a playful way

Home and Away - a Murphy and a Guinness

Bucket of snots (n): a ugly person (would they let you use that? lol)

Dickey Dazzler (n): an over dressed man

Flahulach (a): flamboyant, also very generous, throwing money around

Omadhaun (n): bit of a fool

Pogue Mahone (phr): kiss my arse

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

Well.... ye said you wanted Scot or Irish, but I not be knowin' those. Instead, I be knowin' ancient greek.

Akatos is the name for a light vessel or boat.

Ephelkion is the word for a boat "towed after a ship"

Skaphe can be used for a light vessel used for cargo.

If you wanted to be literal and still have a cool name, dekaskalmos is "with ten banks of oars" and hexêrês is "with six banks of oars"

So there ye be mate. Lemme know if ye want some more or to know more about one o' the words.

How bout UNG FOY Gaelic for one faith.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

How 'bout Gráinne Ni Mhaille, after the famous 16th century Irish woman pirate?

Grace O'malley now there was a woman who knew no limits :lol: ...

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

How about the name Epona . The name of the Celtic goddess of the horse also assotiated with helping the soul on its final journey . She is also assotiated with Water .

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

What does Ceberus mean?

I like the use of "Long" in the name. Lang Maggie rings well.

By the way, I will be launching my second long boat next month, she is two feet shorter and very heavy. She is gaft rigged.

So I do not have a tall ship but I will have two vessels that are very authentic for our time period. A set of my oars were used in POC If anyone wants to join us, please let me know. Our clothing and equiptment standards are pretty ridgid BUT the people are easy going. We are portraying mariners in the first half of the 18th centruy.

Cheers

Bully MacGrae

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

I'm not exactly positive what the name's meanin' is... I was kinda hopin' ye wouldn't be askin'. The Ceberus were a prison transport ship in some Scottish islands.

Ceberus may have been the name of a Scottish prison transport ship, but its origins is Greek. It's the name of the three headed dog that gaurds the underworld in ancient Greek myhtology.

Long Cerebus? :blink:

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Or, if you prefer the 'new latin'...

Onglay Oatbay

Entay Oarsay

Katosay

Apheskay

For the newer one,

Afgay Iggedray

Allersmay Oatbay

OK, in all seriousness, where be ye located?

Coastie :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I like Long Angus, and Bob the Longboat. :lol:

You could also name it Mannann Mac Lir, who I believe is the Irish god of the sea? (correct me if I'm wrong please)

Welsh actually not Irish, but Celtic nonetheless.

I forgot to add that Mannan Mac Lir is also Manx.

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Arrr...

I fancy th' name "Satan's Trident;" jest sayin' it aloud provides thet good gut-wrenchin' sensation o' terror thet ev'ry good pyrate ship should strike.

It be not Irish, but if't be o' any consolation a'tall, I, meself, be of Irish descent an' I was th' one thought o' th' name.

Yers,

-Spydre

//^@^\\

• 2 weeks later...