Blackbeard Festivals

capnwilliam

Is anyone planning to hit either or both of the Blackbeard Festivals (NC, or VA)?

I won't be able to make either of them, but would be interested in hearing from anyone who's going this year, or anyone who went in recent years, so I'll know whether it's worth it to go next year!

Capt. William

:(

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I was hoping there would have been one up in Dallas, like there was last year. But, alas, after emailing them, I found out that there is probably not going to be a second Blackbeard Pirate Festival in Dallas. :-(

Morick Towain

IBoRP #116

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

Aye, more's the pity, Morick! (Bad unintentional pun!) I don't think that Brother Teach did much sailin' around Dallas, but it's a shame that anyone let that come betwen them and a good time!

Well, maybe we can both make it next year to the one in NC, or VA. (?)

Capt. William

:rolleyes:

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

The Rumskulls Picaroons, Chesapeake Colonial Tory Privateers will be attending the N.C. Blackbeard Festival. Just look for our encampment. You can't miss the 20 x 25 marquis tent and the other "smaller" ones. WE will be doing some period cooking, navigation lectures, etc. Apparently, we are also supposed to be the bloody millitia and defend the town (why are we always the millitia

Mr Ullrich, Master & Commander

Rumskulls Picaroons

:rolleyes:

Mr Ullrich, Master & Commander

Chesapeake Picaroons,

Colonial Tory Provincial Privateers [/font]

Chesapeake Picaroons

I have been a participant at both the N.C. and Va. Blackbeard Fests for several years and will be appearing there again this year. I usually play Israel hands at the Va. event and sometimes at the N.C. event also. Both of them are a lot of fun, depending on your perspective. They both are part re-enactment, and part festival type events geared mostly towards entertainment for the public, which is the way I prefer things. Remember, entertaining the public is what keeps these things alive!!!!

.......Cascabel

Is anyone planning to hit either or both of the Blackbeard Festivals (NC, or VA)?

I won't be able to make either of them, but would be interested in hearing from anyone who's going this year, or anyone who went in recent years, so I'll know whether it's worth it to go next year!

The cap'n and I won't be there this year, but have gone to each of these festivals in the past. You can see images from our visits at:

North Carolina Blackbeard Festival:

http://www.noquartergiven.net/ncbbfestival.htm

Hampton Blackbeard Festival:

http://www.noquartergiven.net/hamptonbbfestival.htm

We had a grand time at each. The Hampton Festival has the re-enactment of the battle at sea between Blackbeard and Maynard, followed by a Mardi Gras type parade. A very rousin' time. The North Carolina festival has the resource of the North Carolina Maritime Museum, with artifacts from what is thought to be the shipwreck remains of the Queen Anne's Revenge. The museum also has puts on some superb lectures and presentations in conjunction with the festival, so it's very good from a factual/educational standpoint.

Each festival has pros and cons, and each year the events change, hopefully for the better - so it's hard to say for sure which would be better from year to year. But, at either, you should meet up with many other brethren of the sea, and I can't imagine having anything but a grand time with so many other pirates about.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Forget the yo ho ho --- just gimme the bottle!"

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on stormy seas an such, I be planning on attend'n the festival here in Virginia this year. It'll be me first time on this side of the new world, actually me first time attending any pirate specific event, been attending the Northern and Southern Renaissance Faires in California for years.

Though it'll be breaking character, I'll be bring me enchanted spyglass along in hopes of catching something to share in the Photo Gallery.

I took my chief gunner to the Hampton event this year. We enjoyed it, but it seemed poorly organized. Some of the scheduled events either did not happen at all or, perhaps, happened in a different time or place than listed in the program. Was anyone else there?

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

Well, I've uploaded some images from the Hampton Black Beard Festival to the Pyracy Pub Photo Album. I think messed up on a couple uploads though, I used the same picture image as the thumbnail. I clicked the back button to try and fix it, all it did was upload the image twice. Sorry for the mess.

CaptCat, I have to agree with you. The event did seem poorly organized, I wasn't sure if it was the morning rain or the prediction of afternoon thunder storms or maybe I was just expecting to much.

In any case I did see Cascabel, Ravan and Braze of The Tortuga Mutineers, they were great! And other than a few other reenactors, the The Tortuga Mutineers were the only reenactors that seemed to really enjoy what they were doing and made themselves accessable to the attending public and available for pictures.

Some of the other reenactors seemed to be stand offish and hiding out behind the ropes of the pirate camp or avoiding eye contact when out wondering around.

Also, the fair could have used more trinket shops and a variety of food and drink stalls.

Now don't get me wrong, we had a great time and will go again next year for sure.

I coulda done with more trinket shops (esp. pirate themed!), food, and drink as well. To make matters worse, many local shops were closed.

The Tortuga Mutineers, as you say, were very accessible amiable. We enjoyed their demonstrations, and my chief gunner enjoyed being hit on!

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

Thanks much for the kind words, Capt. Cat and Stinky Tudor. I had a great time as usual. Most of these events are what you make of them yourself, although sometimes someone in charge "drops the ball". Most of the time the folks in charge are up to their necks in alligators without enough help, so things occasionally get fouled up. It was nice meeting new and old shipmates.

>>>> Cascabel

Cascabel-- you were awesome. I was very happy to see ya'll there. As far as I was concerned, you guys made the event--no exaggeration.

Cat, I couldn't agree with you more!

In fact Pirate Molly was just saying earlier today how The Tortuga Mutineers really made the event, setting up the mood and adding a lot of character.

Cascabel, Raven, Braze and your fellow Mutineers are a credit to you professions.

And Cascabel I get your meaning, Capt. Cat and I should get off our pirate arses, get involved and make events like these better.

CaptCat, my apologies for implying that you aren’t already involved in these sort of events. Since I don’t really know you or to what extent you are or aren’t involved, it was wrong for me to include you.

Most of these events are what you make of them yourself, although sometimes someone in charge "drops the ball".   Most of the time the folks in charge are up to their necks in alligators without enough help, so things occasionally get fouled up.

Having attended the Hampton Blackbeard Festival as well as a few others on both coasts, I know that Cascabel speaks so truly. Festival directors and PTB (powers that be) are usually overwhelmed. They have good intentions that don't always come off as planned. People don't show up on time (whether behind-the-scenes, or out interacting with the public), budgets aren't what they were promised, equipment is lacking, etc etc. Participants who pitch in rather than grousing are what help the festivals be much more fun. If you enjoy these festivals as much as I do, then you'll want to help promote them and help out during the festival where needed so they can keep on going.

Things may not be as they should, but oft times the public knows no different. Just give 'em a good show, interact with them (especially the kids), be willin' to pose for Kodak opportunities, and the public is happy and excited having seen "pirates!". :lol::huh:

Make it fun for yourself by stayin' in persona as you interact with the other pirates and the people in general. A true pirate should be able to have fun no matter what, and that fun becomes infectious.

Fair wyndes, sleeping sentries and full tankards,

--Jamaica Rose

"Support your local buccaneer."

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

Arr Jarmaica, Having worked a little in entertainment, I understand what it is to miss one’s mark, not come in on cue and have nothing happen as scheduled or according to plan.

The intension of my comment was not meant to be grousing and was just meant as a comment.

As for getting involved and lending support, I couldn’t agree with you more. Even though we had left our tricornes at home, in our none period Elizabethan Sea Dog garb we were stopped several times for picture opportunities, directions to the bathroom and asked about the day’s scheduled events.

Looking to get more involved, we all got a kick out of people talking to us as though we worked for the festival, we were just taken back by it a bit. In fact at one point when we had wandered a ways from the festival, I found my 13 year old daughter giving driving directions to a family in search of the festival.

Like I said, we all had a blast and will definitely go again next year.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Morehead City Blackbeard festival this year.

Excellent:militia and pirate (re) enactors, QAR artifacts and info, Ben Cherry & co.

So-so: food, weather (cool, rainy), crowd

Poor: only about 3 vendors of pirate wares, not much food variety, not enough activities (especially for the little ones)

I heard a local shop owner tell some disappointed visitors that she didn't know why the quality of the event had gone "downhill" recently. I had never been to one before, but it did not look like what it claimed to be in the advertisements. I still managed to have a good time, though. :huh:

Captin Sage