Build a Fleet of Skiffs for PiP?

Island Cutter

The Boatwright's Shop (Discussing the reproduction and use of 17th through early 19th century watercraft and nautical accoutrements

The Boatwright's Shop

also

http://www.applegateboatworks.com/

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't afford to build a boat for PiP but I could afford small mortars in exchange for raw materials for a skiff. I can also provide a place and tools for it to be built before PiP here at my house and I could manage to get it down to PiP which would at least give 1 skiff for PiP.

I am suggesting help from a few people and materials in exchange for a weekend in the keys and mortars. So if there is anybody interested in helping build a skiff, can supply some materials, and is interested in a good time down here and a mortar let me know

CS

id.jpg

The first thing you need to do is decide on a construction method and tied into this if you want to finished product to reflect period construction methods or if that is not a requirement as long as it seems to be a period piece. Stitch and glue is probably the simplest construction method so assuming you would be using this method you would then need to select a design that would lend itself to this type of construction. The line drawing above of the Flatner looks like it could be a candidate for stitch and glue construction so the question then is can we get plans for such a boat or do we need to design it ourselves? Plans greatly simplify a lot of issues like placement of the daggerboard, mast rigging attachment points etc. Once these items have been determined you can start looking at collecting the material to build the craft.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

The first thing you need to do is decide on a construction method and tied into this if you want to finished product to reflect period construction methods or if that is not a requirement as long as it seems to be a period piece. Stitch and glue is probably the simplest construction method so assuming you would be using this method you would then need to select a design that would lend itself to this type of construction. The line drawing above of the Flatner looks like it could be a candidate for stitch and glue construction so the question then is can we get plans for such a boat or do we need to design it ourselves? Plans greatly simplify a lot of issues like placement of the daggerboard, mast rigging attachment points etc. Once these items have been determined you can start looking at collecting the material to build the craft.

Plans shouldn't be a problem as I have already drawn it up mostly in autocad (3d) so we could pull any piece from the drawings and mark it to be cut out.

id.jpg

but if we had that at PiP....who would be left at the fort??

Fort by day. Drunken tourists along the Westin and Mallory Square Piers by night.

Not everyone is a tourist. :D

Fort by day. Drunken tourists along the Westin and Mallory Square Piers by night.

Not everyone is a tourist. :unsure:

I know. I'm talking about targeting the tourists. The locals are allies.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Not everyone is a tourist. :D

I know. I'm talking about targeting the tourists. The locals are allies.

Thats what I like to hear!