Build a Fleet of Skiffs for PiP?

Island Cutter

British Dory - aka: Somerset Flatner

were ya plannin on makin em look like these??

currently researching if the flatner has a period counterpart (or was in fact in period... probably in lapstrake form) but yep, basically like a Flatner.

then i too would be interested in lending a hand..possibly also buyin a kit....i believe the crewe is in contact with ya??

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah no not yet, but since you are interested Maddogge go ahead and see what's what...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Ah no not yet, but since you are interested Maddogge go ahead and see what's what...

With a nod to sorting out what’s what so far with this project, I thought I would share some of my ideas…

My primary interest as a sailor is to share my enthusiasm and see that others have an opportunity to also share in the fun. Secondly, I really love the look of traditional wooden vessels and want to promote their rediscovery and reintroduction to recreational sailing. Furthermore, as a boatbuilder and consummate "do-it-yourself", I want to encourage others to give boatbuilding a try for themselves. The design that we settle upon should be capable being built be a first-timer; it should be simple enough to get a serviceable boat completed in a reasonable amount of time; and it should be relatively inexpensive to build from commonly available materials... and oh yeah, the design should be from our chosen time period or at least be a convincing interpretation.

With all that said, I want to make a workable set of free and downloadable plans available so that any determined person or group can get started on a boat or two of their own. A “knowledge cooperative” would be set up so that we can share what we have learned and help the next round of builders in completing their own boats. Additionally, full-scale paper templates and pre-cut wooden parts (and full kits) would be available for a reasonable fee, if a builder wanted to get right to the assembly phase and have a finished boat in less time. For those not inclined to build a boat, you are not out of luck. I still plan to bring one or two boats down to Cayo Hueso and make them available for anyone to enjoy.

I envision a time when a fleet of these little boats is darting around off the beach at Ft. Zach… all generally similar, but each very uniquely representing a crew and her proud builders. This project is still in its formative stages and I strongly encourage anyone interested to share their thoughts and ideas. Prior boating or building experience is not necessary, just interest and enthusiasm.

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

Here is a copy of the lines as taken from John Leather's "Spritsails & Lugsails"

rpflatner.gif

So far, the earliest known written reference to the "flatner" is from c. 1719

it was considered an "established" design by then, so there is a good possibility that the design was known during the GAoP.

Edited by Island Cutter

Here is a copy of the lines as taken from John Leather's "Spritsails & Lugsails"

rpflatner.gif

it was considered an "established" design by then, so there is a good possibility that the design was known during the GAoP.

With the Mercury Crew playing 1720, 1719 is early enough for our concerns at PIP. I would love to build one.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

certainly not drawing away from island cutters design, but here is another option- a 13ft deadrise skiff. almost bloody impossible to sink- although you can flip with some help. this is a simple design that can be floating in as little as three days with simple tools. this is derived from the old log canoes the watermen used on the chesapeake bay. draws three inches empty and easy to row. no sail design though.

0323091059a.jpg

0323091059.jpg

certainly not drawing away from island cutters design, but here is another option- a 13ft deadrise skiff. almost bloody impossible to sink- although you can flip with some help. this is a simple design that can be floating in as little as three days with simple tools. this is derived from the old log canoes the watermen used on the chesapeake bay. draws three inches empty and easy to row. no sail design though.

A good and proven design, that one ...and one that certainly has more interior space than the Flatner. As you noted, it's best use is as a rowboat (even better with a "kicker" off the transom... [heaven forbid :D ].

Hey, the more and more different boats, the better... as long as we get out there!

• 3 weeks later...

Opening another can of worms . . .

I missed PiP in '08 (I was in Thailand with my wife) but had some thoughts last year when we did a pirate fest here in Key Largo. Why not assault a beach with some small boats armed with cannon?

The boats you are talking about are perfect size and it may be possible to get some small naval guns (22 inch) on carriages that could be mounted in the boats or possible swivels. I know right now I can lay my hands on 2 bronze cannons ready to go which would arm 2 boats. . .

id.jpg

but if we had that at PiP....who would be left at the fort??

Hey... we gots ter have somplace ter put alla th' people wot we take when we commideer that stupid Disney ship......

(and knowing my luck, National Security is reading all post trying to track down modern Pirates.... and Oops... I just got added to their list.... rats.... (Hey Dudes... it was only a joke... :blink: ) )

rpflatner.gif

I do indeed indorse this idea! I had been looking around for a good simple building kit for a period boat.i do wonder how much it would cost? im sure the labor wouldnt be bad as long as we al help each other out.......i hope we do.....

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

• 2 weeks later...

What its built out of will determine the cost more than anything. Just another thought, there are usually always battles between the fort and ships, fort and land, inside the fort. If we had small boats there might be the possibility of soldiers doing a raid on the camp?

id.jpg