Build a Fleet of Skiffs for PiP?

Island Cutter

My crewe votes, Boats first, liquor second...

:rolleyes: Boats?! I don't see any stynkin' boats. Wot ye need boats fer??? :rolleyes: All they do is leak and sink and stufff!! ;)

Aminal

Boats!?

Boats is what we're all about. Boats is what gets us to and from da Rum, and boats is what gets us in and out of da Trouble. Speaking of boats... I have every intention of bringing down one, or maybe a few lil' boats in which we might knock about.

I would like to get a thread going with others who might be interested in building and sailing a fleet of skiffs. Any recommendations for where to post this discussion? Although one of these boats is being built especially for PIP, should this discussion move to its own topic in a different category?

skipjack.jpg

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to get a thread going with others who might be interested in building and sailing a fleet of skiffs. Any recommendations for where to post this discussion? Although one of these boats is being built especially for PIP, should this discussion move to its own topic in a different category?

How about if we start a new topic in here and see who's interested? If the thread needs to be moved later on, it is possible to move it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Sounds good to me.

So... I know that looking to POTC for inspiration is like asking to hear the click of a doglock but...

That sailing dory would be relatively easy to build, and a whole lot of fun to launch off the beach. I would go for a spritsail or a standing lugsail instead of Sparrow's square rig, though.

Pirate Dory

One of the nice things about the dory design is that the thwarts can be removed, and several can be nested to transport in about the same space as a single boat.

My buddy and I each own boatbuilding shops here in New York's Hudson Valley, and we are thinking of running a series of boatbuilding courses for anyone interested in getting a boat ready for PIP. For those who can't get here to us, we are thinking of a kit with "correspondence course" kind of support.

I wanna piroque.... be perfect fer Buccaneers ter row around Key West..... unfortunately, I fly to PiP, so making a boat of any kind isn't something I could do for PiP.....(Airline baggage rules an' such...)

OMG that is a nice sail boat.. Wish it were mine &

my Eyes swell BUT...eeerrr..Aurggg!

I was considering getting a boat a couple of months ago.

I had the euphoric dream of sailing free,salt spray to my face and wind to my back.

So I went to shelter Island and watch boat traffic in San Diego Bay..

I decided against it when I realized I would be the one shaking my fist at the boater who

swamped me with his 25 foot motorized cigar boat.. Now to me the

whole thing is finding a place where i could sail in peace and not be

surrounded by jets skis like I'm in Mad Max Or the Water World movie;.. those

thoughts just put me off from investing so much money..The alluring thought is one

thing but where I live;the reality of seeing people in three different occasions

in a half hour span being swamped by inconsiderate boaters has me standing

back with my wallet closed...

Regardless of my rant..I would love to see this thread to fruition

and actually see a boat being build and spoken of, thru all its stages.

A Magnificent idea! Post more pics! I looked at your web site too.. Impressive..

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I wanna piroque....

Interesting that you want a pirogue... The dory and the pirogue are not-to-distant cousins, and are descendants of the “batteaux”… the broad term for the flat-bottomed, slab-sided craft used extensively in Colonial North America. The major, noticeable difference is that the later dories developed the “tombstone transom” while the batteaux remained double-ended.

If all goes as planned, and by Grace of the Gods, I will be driving down to PIP and towing a small boat trailer. I hope to have a few boats nested on that trailer, along with oars and at least two sail rigs. If ye promise to wear yer "Mae West" (life vest), a boat will be at your disposal.

OMG that is a nice sail boat..

The alluring thought is one

thing but where I live;the reality of seeing people in three different occasions

in a half hour span being swamped by inconsiderate boaters has me standing

back with my wallet closed...

Right you are , Mate! I used to live in San Diego and sail off Point Loma... it can be a busy body of water.

I seem to remember that a section of Mission Bay is designated for small sailboats and motorized boats are prohibited. Fiesta Island comes to mind, but it has been a while. My little Skipjack was designed by Mike Stevenson with that body of water specifically in mind. It is small, yet capable of handling two adults for daysailing. It also has an undeniably "salty" look.

Here's a link to my very dated, building Blog:

Grog Blargh... Building the "BlackSeal" Skipjack

skipjack.jpg

To avoid confusion, I need to explain that the Skipjack picture above is NOT a dory. It does look "piratey" though. My newest build of this design will actually have a carved a decorated transom... something like a scaled down Galleon.

Fiesta Island is infested with Jet Skis on the north side and there always seems to be at least one fatal/near fatal (accident) every year.. the Harbor patrol sometimes act like wolves out thar ..in some cases harassing people in the guise of safety..They shot and killed one guy last year ..he was unarmed..

I will investigate the south side channel between the island and sea world to see if the waters are clear of power boats and jet Skis..

Recently there was an article in the reader about a debate/debacle between

dog lovers and boaters wanting to use the only available stretch of beach on fiesta island. The small craft boaters want a boat ramp and club house/restaurant ..the dog lovers protested saying they were there first and the fighting went before the city council over it's land use... Apparently, a safe launch location for small craft in the area is lacking. But again I will go next week end and take a closer looksie.. The Boat you posted is what I really want but with out a safe area to play let alone launch...well you know. I do remember of a small sailing rental place somewhere off Ingram st. I guess that be a good place to look too and find some info on safe places to go sailing.

Edited by oderlesseye

Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

Fiesta Island is infested with Jet Skis on the north side and there always seems to be at least one fatal/near fatal (accident) every year.. the Harbor patrol sometimes act like wolves out thar ..in some cases harassing people in the guise of safety..They shot and killed one guy last year ..he was unarmed..

Yikes! I had no idea it was getting that rough out there. I visited SD last November and it sure have changed... I hardly recognized Solana Beach, and I used to work there!

Well, this is a little boat that can make it feel like "bigger sailing" if you find a quieter body of water. Is sailing allowed in the San Elijo Lagoon? I'll bet jet skis aren't allowed there.

If you are interested in more information about the Mini Skipjack, check out the Stevenson Website:

Backyard Boatbuilders - Mini Skipjack

San Elijo Lagoon is a protected estuary,so you are right...

I don't recall seeing any boats there or jet skis when I drive by there.

I like the beginners kit idea..

Perhaps when I am done with the Dead Mans Cove Project

Eye may steer a course to building a small craft.. I Book marked the link. thanx.

Noquarter2copy.jpg

any interest in building one at PIP?

Abso-floggin-lutely!

In fact, we were just discussing this today...

The dory design sort of lends itself to being "dry assembled" here at the shop, disassembled, and finished assembled (glued and screwed) on site.

It would be great to see a little fleet of these take shape in years to come. I wonder if we could build one a year and store them at Ft. Zach?

As I mentioned, the dories stack or "nest" so they wouldn't take up much room. Something to think about.

Perhaps when I am done with the Dead Mans Cove Project

Eye may steer a course to building a small craft.. I Book marked the link. thanx.

I can't imagine Dead Man's Cove ever really being "finished"... it seems to have a life of its own! (great job on that, btw)

When you do start the Skipjack, let me know... I've built three of them over the years (each ten years apart) and made all of the mistakes... some of them all three times! One is now in Coronado somewhere (if it still exists), the second is still in use in Florida, and number three is here with me in NY and getting ready for a Spring Launch.

If you get to PIP, I'll be glad to let you take the helm.

I'd be very interested.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

anyone interested in leaving anything at ft zack should contact Harry first, as there were a few small issues with storage this year.

Absolutely... thanks Chrispy.

Yep, I figured that Harry would be the man to talk to, but I didn't want to get ahead of myself... these boats haven't been built yet so the last thing I wanted to do was start looking for a drydock.

Again, the nice thing is that once stacked; three or four dories take up only the same deckspace as a single boat. If stored upside down on a small cradle, we could even keep the elements out of 'em (for the most part.)

I'd be very interested.

Right then... I'll have one ready-cut, but unassembled. This could be some real fun.

I have been researching some historical precedent for the dory design in the GAOP and have come across several things of interest... This needs some further investigation, but the Somerset or Watchet Flatner boats were developing at this time.

British Dory - aka: Somerset Flatner

In fact the "dory design" seems to have been simultaneously developing in a number of places through out the world...

The use of the sawmill and its ability to quickly produce relatively inexpensive, wide planks had a direct effect on the design and construction of workboats, and the dory is one of the many results.

The only question is where to build them. The encampment would be great, but did pirates or buccaneers build boats on the beach? In the fort, it's a great interpretive exhibit and would go well there as well. Decisions, decisions.... :)

They actually did this five years ago when we were on the beach before moving the whole festival into the fort - there was boat building on the beach. It was very cool. Can't remember who did it back then.

I think it's a great idea either way! Luckily, my wife has built in flotation devices so I don't need a boat in KW. More fun clinging to Diosa (sorry, she can only save one at a time and I ain't lettin' go for no one no how).

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Just beyond the path along the fort moat there is a lone tree off the parking lot nearest the beach encampments. We could put up a canvas awning for shade near the tree and build the boats within sight of the fort walls and the encampments. Just one of many ways to draw the fort crowd out to the beach.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The only question is where to build them. The encampment would be great, but did pirates or buccaneers build boats on the beach? In the fort, it's a great interpretive exhibit and would go well there as well. Decisions, decisions.... :)

Oh man...in one of the privateer journals I read they brought all the parts for a ship to some location in South America and built it when they arrived. Unfortunately this doesn't relate to medicine even remotely so I don't have any notes on it. I can't even tell you which journal it was in. I only remember it because I thought it was unusual when I read it. It seems to me that they would almost have to build it on a beach because at this time just about every civilized port in South America was Spanish held if I have my facts straight. They could hardly build a docking structure on the beach without the Spanish noticing and attacking them. (That I recall from some account of Juan Fernandez Island...and I'm not sure which one that was either. ;) )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I sure would like to be putting my hand to wood again making a boat again; been almost 45 years since I made one. Been looking to make a dory m'self for at least the last 2 years. Hope you do make it down this year and all that wish to are able to take part in building the wee craft ;)

Edited by callenish gunner

Oh man...in one of the privateer journals I read they brought all the parts for a ship to some location in South America and built it when they arrived...

I have read that same thing in a number of sources. It seems to have been somewhat common to bring along the "small boats" in knockdown form. I remember something like this being mentioned in Drake's manuscripts.

British Dory - aka: Somerset Flatner

were ya plannin on makin em look like these??

currently researching if the flatner has a period counterpart (or was in fact in period... probably in lapstrake form) but yep, basically like a Flatner.

I'd also be interested in building one of these to use as a tender and for just messing about locally. Is there a set of working plans we could take a look at?

Oi Joe... what are ye sailin'? Sounds like you're livin' my dream.

These may be a bit big as far as traditional tenders go, but they will come in handy for explorin' the mangroves and gunk-holing around in the Keys.

I am working on getting hold of a set of plans from the Watchet Museum in the UK, and there are other plans and images on line. I'll compile all of this and make it available.